Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption (Quest for Glory "sequel")

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

TiLT

Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption (Quest for Glory "sequel")

Post by TiLT »

Better late than never, I guess. There's a very interesting Kickstarter coming to an end in 35 hours. It's from the designers of the Quest for Glory games. For those who don't remember those games, they were a very unique combination of traditional point-and-click adventure games and RPGs, a combination that hasn't really been seen before or after. They're now working on Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption, a new game in a similar style. Its graphical approach will be slightly different in that it will look tile-based instead of the more traditional point-and-click look, but it will still be an adventure game with RPG elements at heart. Instead of puzzle solving, it's got problem solving with multiple solutions to each problem. The story and the NPCs will supposedly be pretty dynamic, reacting to how you play the game. We're not talking the Mass Effect-style of "choice" here, but a far more dynamic style.

The project needs $400k to succeed, and 35 hours from the end they're at 350k. Odds are they will make it, but it's going to be by a hair's breadth. If you want to support this kind of game (turn-based RPG where the focus is on the adventure instead of killing monsters, though you can do both), please consider backing Hero-U. I know I am. :)

Here's the link to the Hero-U Kickstarter campaign.
Insert witty comment here.
silverjon

Re: Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption (Quest for Glory "sequel")

Post by silverjon »

Hm, I think I can throw some money at this one. Quest for Glory was one of my gateway drugs.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

silverjon wrote:Hm, I think I can throw some money at this one. Quest for Glory was one of my gateway drugs.
Same for me on both counts. I hope they make it. More games I may get to play someday.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

I think they're going to to make it as well (if only just), needing just under 40k with 24 hours or so to go. I hope they succeed. I never played the Quest for Glory games when they came out but often read about them.

I tried playing QfG1 after buying the bundle from GoG but I felt like I was wrestling with the interface a lot. I may try a later game in the series at some point.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Peacedog wrote:I think they're going to to make it as well (if only just), needing just under 40k with 24 hours or so to go. I hope they succeed. I never played the Quest for Glory games when they came out but often read about them.

I tried playing QfG1 after buying the bundle from GoG but I felt like I was wrestling with the interface a lot. I may try a later game in the series at some point.
If you played the VGA remake of QFG1, then that's more or less the same as the later games.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

I kinda want to go home and get the QfG bundle from GOG (possibly in backer perk format) and start playing. It has been many years (and I can play old games without cringing). It would feel fresh!
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

silverjon wrote:I can play old games without cringing
Alas, I lack the gene that allows this. Very few exceptions for me.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
silverjon wrote:I can play old games without cringing
Alas, I lack the gene that allows this. Very few exceptions for me.
It's a gift.
wot?

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Funded! This project successfully raised its funding goal 23 minutes ago.
Backers
$409,150
pledged of $400,000 goal

That was a bit close for comfort.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Glad to see it made it. Now begins the long wait. :)

I added $18 for the sequel (where you play a female wizard) during the final stretch in order to help it along, so I've got a bit more of a wait for everything I paid for. Hopefully it'll pay off.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Is it me, or did they magically add hours onto the end of that to make the goal? I swear, when I looked at the KS page for the first time yesterday afternoon about this time, it said something like 11 hours left?! I could be misremembering, or there could be some hoodoo going on (which is fine by me as a backer - glad they made it).
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Is it me, or did they magically add hours onto the end of that to make the goal? I swear, when I looked at the KS page for the first time yesterday afternoon about this time, it said something like 11 hours left?! I could be misremembering, or there could be some hoodoo going on (which is fine by me as a backer - glad they made it).
You're misremembering. I've been paying close attention to this campaign, and it ended exactly when it was supposed to.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

TiLT wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:Is it me, or did they magically add hours onto the end of that to make the goal? I swear, when I looked at the KS page for the first time yesterday afternoon about this time, it said something like 11 hours left?! I could be misremembering, or there could be some hoodoo going on (which is fine by me as a backer - glad they made it).
You're misremembering. I've been paying close attention to this campaign, and it ended exactly when it was supposed to.

Good, thanks. Always calming to verify with others that the space-time continuum did not warp.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
TiLT wrote:

Good, thanks. Always good to verify with others that the space-time continuum did not warp.
Does that happen to you often?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

TiLT wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:
TiLT wrote:

Good, thanks. Always good to verify with others that the space-time continuum did not warp.
Does that happen to you often?
Misplace time/hours? Oh yeah.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:26 pm
silverjon wrote:Hm, I think I can throw some money at this one. Quest for Glory was one of my gateway drugs.
Same for me on both counts. I hope they make it. More games I may get to play someday.

Update from last week...
Depending on further testing results, we are likely looking at a mid-April 2018 release.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

BWAAH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

We're trying for a July 9 release, but I think July 16 is equally likely. We will do a "code freeze" on June 30, test for a couple of days, then release it to Beta testers. If that survives a full week without serious problems, we'll release on July 9. If not, we'll do a new build and push the release date back a week.
It may happen yet!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I’ve more than gotten my invested pittance back in the form of entertainment, just from reading this guy’s ludicrous email updates over the past years.

At first I just wanted to shake him when I read them, and then at some point they became comical.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

They seem to be on a similar schedule to the Space Quest sequel. That was (is?) a 2012 kickstarter, 2013 expected delivery, 2018 continued 'it's almost ready!' declarations.
Fitzy

Re: Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption (Quest for Glory

Post by Fitzy »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:04 pm I’ve more than gotten my invested pittance back in the form of entertainment, just from reading this guy’s ludicrous email updates over the past years.

At first I just wanted to shake him when I read them, and then at some point they became comical.
He would have been much better off not promising a release date and instead keeping the tiny masses informed of progress. I’m glad he was communicative, but the constant moving target had me skimming the updates and I’ve long since lost enthusiasm for the game. Hopefully, if it gets released, it will bring back the feeling of Quest for Glory, I loved those games.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I’m usually a naive optimist, but just based on the brief playtime I got with this, plus all the coder changes over the years, if this thing is anything better than a flaming piece of shit, I will be surprised.

OTOH I would be thrilled to be proven wrong on this.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Not a ringing endorcement. Oh well, I’ll hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

OK, so I just spent 15 minutes on this. Perhaps I forgot what Quest for Glory was like back in the day, have turned into a fist-shaking grouch, or just hate puns now (I think the latter), but I don't think I can continue.

If you like Piers Anthony, you should love this. The puns here are even more vomit inducing. I actually DID like Piers Anthony....when I was 12. And was not even a fan of puns back then, it was more my voracious appetite for any book that had a fantasy theme.

Anyhoo, as mentioned previously, the real entertainment here were the emails sent over the past...5? years, apologizing for or completely ignoring, the delay.

I am sure I will spend at least another 30 minutes to see if the puns can get out of the way of the actual game choices, as I have already encountered in the first room. I'm used to playing old school adventure games (either "in the style of" but with modern UX, or the actual games themselves, remastered), so that part of it is not a turn off. It's what I expected actually.

But the puns...whew. They are Michael Scott or Phil Dunphy terrible (both of which I love dearly as characters, I should add)
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I am fine with facepalm level puns... I will try to check it out tonight.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The puns don't bother me, but the gameplay loop is boring. I am really tired of tramping back and forth across the castle to the same few locations gaining various skill points towards some undefined goal... or if it is defined I missed it. It's like playing a Persona game without any of the good parts.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

I played the heck out of the King's Quest, Space Quest games as a kid/teen. I remember spending days trying to solve the puzzles and even writing to their hint snail mail thingie because my dad wouldn't let me call the 900 number for hints.

The only thing holding me back was that I had an Apple II and then a BW Mac and the newer games didn't run on them.

When I got a PC as an adult I was excited to finally be able to play the missing Sierra games and decided to start at the beginning.

The games that I spent days playing as a kid, took me at most a couple of hours as an adult. I was confused and flabbergasted. Looking back, I think the design of the games was such that the stupid puzzles were the time sinks. Otherwise there wasn't much in the way of game play.

I bought Hero-U knowing this was a possibility. I haven't tried it yet, but we'll see.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

There is apparently also a game freezing bug, and some other nasty surprises, based on the email from the developer this morning. Said a patch is about a month out (so that means next year some time, at best. :D