STEAM Backlog Project 2012-2017

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Smoove_B

STEAM Backlog Project 2012-2017

Post by Smoove_B »

Like most of you, I have a ridiculous number of games that I've purchased, installed and have barely touched. After adding a few more to the pile during this last STEAM sale I decided last night I'm finally going to deal with it and I'd like to make it a community effort for anyone else that would like to participate.

What I'll be doing is sitting down with my STEAM account and alphabetically working my way down the list of games I own. I will define a game as being part of my backlog if it is unfinished and I've spent less than 5 hours playing it. If the game focuses on MP I might skip it entirely, though a lot would depend on how active the online community is and whether or not I can just jump in and play.

My goal is to then budget an hour a day to play the game over a period of 5 days (M-F), but if I hit that 5 hour mark sooner, I'll just start on the next one. This will clear at least 4 games a month and assuming I don't purchase anything in a few weeks, keep me occupied for 2+ years. :D

At this point the idea isn't to do anything else other than determine which of these games I can keep around and which can be released to uninstalled bin, lost forever on the STEAM servers.

I won't be doing any formal reviews, but I'll note overall impressions and link to existing threads here on OO that cover the games in greater detail.

I'll maintain a monthly to-do list after this initial post that will be updated. If anyone has the same game sitting around untouched, feel free to join in.

The first step is admitting you have a problem....

EDIT: Now with more years
Last edited by Smoove_B on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:18 am, edited 4 times in total.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Smoove_B

Re: STEAM Backlog Project 2012/2013

Post by Smoove_B »

Games for week starting 5/1:

Dead Age
Mordheim
Total War Warhammer
They Bleed Pixels
Spoiler:
Backlog cleared 1/1 -4/31/17:
Skullgirls
Okhlos: Omega
Project Highrise
Steamworld Heist
Poly Bridge
Life is Strange
RIVE
Chainsaw Warriors: Lords of the Night
Craft the World
Space Run Galaxy
Once Piece Pirate Warriors 3

Backlog cleared 10/1-12/31/16
Betrayer
The Samaritan Paradox

Backlog cleared 1/1-9/30/16
Renowned Explorers: International Society
Spooky Heroes
Super Trench Attack
Time Mysteries: Inheritance - Remastered
Hand of Fate
Heroes of Normandie
Battle Academy 2
Ryse
Knights of Pen and Paper 2
Guild of Dungoneering
Door Kickers
Xenonauts
Card Dungeon
Card Hunter

Backlog cleared 10/1-12/31/15
Nuclear Throne
This War of Mine
The 39 Steps
Starship Traveller
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

Backlog cleared 6/1-9/30/15
Crowntakers
Dead Island Riptide
Yury
Infested Planet
Knights of Pen and Paper +1

Backlog cleared 4/1-5/31/15
Tales of Maj'Eyal
Gauntlet
Typing of the Dead
Dead State
Injustice Gods Among Us
Murdered: Soul Suspect
Dark Scavenger

Backlog cleared 1/1-3/31/15
The Stanley Parable
Costume Quest
WazHack

Backlog cleared 12/1-12/31/14
Papers, Please
Ichi
Dead Hungry Diner
Ballpoint Universe
Bardbarian
Viscera Cleanup Detail
Paper Sorcerer
Neverending Nightmares
Diehard Dungeon
Dungeon of the Endless
Bit.Trip.Runner.2
Unholy Heights
Gratuitous Space Battles
The Gods Will be Watching
Sang-Froid
Deadly Premonition
King's Bounty Warriors of the North

Backlog cleared 11/1-11/30/14
Risk of Rain
Worms Revolution
Teleglitch: Die More Edition
Shadow Warrior (2013)

Backlog cleared 9/1-10/31/14
Appointment with F.E.A.R.
Monster Loves You
The Bridge
Delve Deeper
SteamWorld Dig
HammerWatch
Race the Sun
Luftrausers
Gone Home
Thief

Backlog cleared 8/1-8/31/14
Metro 2033
Hitman Absolution
Space Hulk

Backlog cleared 7/1-7/31/14
Walking Dead 400 Days
Marauder
Age of Wonders III
Desktop Dungeons
The Last Express
Hero Siege
Sir, You Are Being Hunted
XCOM Enemy Unknown
Breach and Clear

Backlog cleared 6/1-6/30/14
The Bureau XCOM Declassified
One Way Heroics

Backlog cleared 5/1-5/31/14
X3: Albion Prelude
Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep (Borderlands 2 DLC)
Dishonored
Sid Meier's Ace Patrol
Sid Meier's Pacific Skies
Spectromancer
Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians
FEZ
Starseed Pilgrim
The Guild 2
Eldritch
Battlefield 3
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing
Woodcutter Simulator 2013

Backlog cleared 4/1-4/30/14
Tropico 4
UnEpic
Wargame: European Escalation
Guacamelee
Rogue Legacy
Castle Storm
Poker Night 2
Skulls of the Shogun
Rise of the Triad
Reus
How to Survive
Legend of Dungeon
Giana Sisters
The Swapper
Supreme Commander 2
Monaco
Surgeon Simulator 2013
SPAZ

Backlog cleared 3/1-3/31/14
Sword of the Stars - The Pit

Backlog cleared 12/1- 2/28/14
DLC Quest
Deadlight
Trials 2: Second Edition
Tailsman: Prologue
Postal 2 Complete
AntiChamber

Backlog cleared 11/1-11/30/13
BioShock Infinite
Bastion
Mini Motor Racing EVO
Mark of the Ninja
ittle Dew
Eador Masters of the Broken World
Sniper Elite V2
Tomb Raider (2013)
Spelunky
Magic the Gathering 2014

Backlog cleared 10-1 - 10/31/13
Gunpoint

Backlog cleared 7/1 - 9/30/13
Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten
The Walking Dead
Scribblenauts Unlimited
McPixel
Organ Trail
Fallen Enchantress
Total War Shogun 2
Hotline Miami
Total War Medieval 2
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

6/1 - 6/30/13
Borderlands 2: Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage
Borderlands 2: Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt
Orcs Must Die
Don't Starve
Puzzle Agent
Puzzle Agent 2
Puzzle Quest
Puzzle Kingdoms
Runespell Overture
Solar 2
Dawn of War II - Retribution (Chaos)

3/1 - 5/31/2013
FarCry 3
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light

Backlog cleared 2/1 - 2/28/13
HOARD
Home
King Arthur - The Role Playing Game
King's Bounty: The Legend

Backlog cleared 1/1/13 - 1/31/13
Defense Grid: The Awakening
Disciples II: Gallean's Return
Dungeon Defenders
Dungeons of Dredmor
Ghost Master
Hack, Slash, Loot
Heroes of Might and Magic V
Hinterland

Backlog cleared 12/2-12/31/12:
AaAaAA!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity
Altitude
Atom Zombie Smasher
Avadon: The Black Fortress
Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition
BookWorm Adventures Volume 2
Breath of Death VII
BRINK
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box
Crusader Kings II
Cthulhu Saves the World
Darwinia
Total Backlog cleared to date: 193
Last edited by Smoove_B on Sun May 07, 2017 6:18 pm, edited 228 times in total.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Smoove, I can't remember if you have an iPad or not, but several of those games are available on iOS as well. For me personally, I tend to play a game more if it's available on something as mobile as a tablet, so I have moved almost all the iOS titles in my Steam account, to my "ARCHIVE" folder, which before they updated the folder organization on Steam a few months ago, for me meant:

1. I have played and finished this game OR
2. I have tried this game, and no longer want to play it

The ones in my backlog I struggle with the most (yeah, I know, life is HARD), are games that get great reviews, that I really don't like, or at least don't REALLY enjoy playing. It's very hard for some reason for me to move those titles into the dreaded ARCHIVE folder, never to be looked at again, but I really should...it would cut down on the ol BL quite a bit.

This issue came up a week or so ago when I realized I had started (for the 3rd time) playing Runaway:A Road Adventure. Being the adventure game fan I am, I am pretty easy when it comes to the genre, and I had read in several places that this was a great modern adventure game. I am also not one to ditch a game due to poor voice acting, but I made an exception here. And I think it's not just the voice acting that is the problem I have, it's writing. So canned, so....ugh. Made me sad, but I had to let that one go...

Anyhoo, I realized I was playing the damn game just so I could finish it and move it from one virtual folder to another! That's crazy! I was basically slogging through...a GAME. Aren't they supposed to be fun? So after that little eye opening experience, I am much more...critical, let's say of a title. No matter the praise, or pedigree of a title, if I am not enjoying it, dammit, I am not going to play it just to "get through it". That should be self-obvious, but for some reason it took me a while to realize what I was doing.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: My goal is to then budget an hour a day to play the game over a period of 5 days (M-F), but if I hit that 5 hour mark sooner, I'll just start on the next one. This will clear at least 4 games a month and assuming I don't purchase anything in a few weeks, keep me occupied for 2+ years. :D
What if you like a game? Do you get to give it more than 5 hours?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

I have a very similar thread going on over at GT. I just force myself to play the game for 2 hours, and I've even let that slide for smaller games that I very clearly am not going to enjoy.

I've also bounced around a bit, but you have to give yourself leeway like that or it becomes more like work than fun.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LawBeefaroni wrote:What if you like a game? Do you get to give it more than 5 hours?
If I like it, I will then keep it installed and continue to play it at some point. My goal now is simply to remove from my plate any games that I know aren't for me. The problem is that most of the games in my library have 60 minutes or less of actual play time so I figured after 5 hours of contact time I could safely say it was something I should continue to play or just forget about.

The worst case from all this is that I put 5 hours into 100+ games in my backlog and then only uninstall 7 of them. At that point, I'll have to reconfigure my goals for 2013/2014. :D
Teggy wrote:I've also bounced around a bit, but you have to give yourself leeway like that or it becomes more like work than fun.
Yeah, I figured 5 hours was a good baseline to figure out whether or not something was worth my time. I'm not opposed to completely abandoning something if it's clear after a few hours that it's not for me.

Full disclosure: I like purchasing games on the cheap. I'd like to continue to do so and I figured this was a good way to at least justify the <$10 I've spent on a majority of these games as there's a monster sale coming up soon.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Feel free to take a page from my book and create an Abandoned category in your library to file these so they will no longer cause you anguish.

My problem with a backlog attempt in alphabetic order would be running over AI War: Fleet Command. From what I understand, the learning curve is substantial and would cause any attempt to move past to grind to an absolute halt.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Smoove, I can't remember if you have an iPad or not, but several of those games are available on iOS as well. For me personally, I tend to play a game more if it's available on something as mobile as a tablet, so I have moved almost all the iOS titles in my Steam account, to my "ARCHIVE" folder.
I do not, but I'm probably less inclined to play games on a tablet or iPad. I'm a hardcore PC guy and will be until they take it from my cold, dead hands. I do a category sort in STEAM, however it's not very helpful. "Finished" is nice, but I think I need to add a new one for these games that I've purchased, spent my 5 or less hours with and I'm now I'm done with them. STEAM is telling me I have 218 games in my library (I'm not sure if that includes F2P titles that they seem to give to everyone as part of the count); as near as I can tell I've finished around 50. That's absurd.

EDIT: Yes, I'm going to do what Isgrimnur is suggesting with an ABANDONED category. Though I'm all emo so I'll probably call it NEVERMORE.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

5 hours of playtime to determine if you like a game or not? Wow, that is generous!

And I, also used to be hard core, PC only (hates the consoles), that is until I played some spectacular games on iPad (that outdid their PC brethren). Up until recently in fact, I considered any kind of "mobile" gaming platform to be subpar to a PC experience. Not true, not true.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Isgrimnur wrote:Feel free to take a page from my book and create an Abandoned category in your library to file these so they will no longer cause you anguish.
Yep, I have a category called "Blah" and "Finished" where games get moved once I have played them and have no plans to play again. Why separate them? Just in case I do want to replay a game, I know to stay away from the Blah category.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

I play what I like or in the mood to play. I have a massive backlog, but I'm at peace with the fact I will never play everything in it.

Also, as CP said, I will NOT waste valuable PC play time on a game I can play anywhere on the IOS and stopped buying most games that have IOS ports or counterparts.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I've given up trying to play all the games I own and just play what I'm in the mood for. It's made me a happier gamer.
Also, it's difficult to really make a dent in your backlog when you spend 300+ hours on one game like I did this year...
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Archinerd wrote:I've given up trying to play all the games I own and just play what I'm in the mood for. It's made me a happier gamer.
That's part of my issue though. I don't even know what I'm in the mood for because I purchase cheap games when they're on ridiculous discount and outside of a 15 minute verification they work, I never touch them again. I would love to find something I could spend 300 hours enjoying, but I'm a serial gamer.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

I, too, have a massive Steam backlog. As a more unstructured approach for putting a dent into it, I created an "On Deck" category (it was baseball season) a few months ago and then went through my unplayed library and added about a dozen games to it. I chose a mixture of games (different genres, lengths, some small indies) that I really was interested in playing or at least trying in the very near future. Now, when I want something new to play or just to check out for a few hours, I have a much shorter, hand-picked list to look at instead of just staring at my massive library, paralyzed, until I run into the comforting arms of yet another game of Civ5.

If I try something and it doesn't grab me within a few play sessions, it goes into the Hidden/Abandoned/Cornfield penalty box or maybe a Later category if I want to give it a second chance someday.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I don't have enough room on my computer for all my Steam games. :? And I keep going back to the same few.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Smoove_B wrote:
Archinerd wrote:I've given up trying to play all the games I own and just play what I'm in the mood for. It's made me a happier gamer.
That's part of my issue though. I don't even know what I'm in the mood for because I purchase cheap games when they're on ridiculous discount and outside of a 15 minute verification they work, I never touch them again. I would love to find something I could spend 300 hours enjoying, but I'm a serial gamer.
I can't help you then ;) Good luck!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm tempted to get in on this. Part of my problem is that when I get in a certain mood, I tend to replay old titles rather than spend time getting to know old ones. I don't want to mess up my careful genre based ordering, though. Perhaps I'll make an Excel sheet and label them as 'played', 'beaten', 'not played' and 'do not want.'
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
TazFTW

Post by TazFTW »

I did a clean install of Windows 8 during Thanksgiving. With my hard drive being wiped clean (I did backup my steamapps folder), I decided now is the perfect time to go through my backlog. I should be finishing the first game (Blue Toad Murder Files) this weekend.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Excellent idea, Smoove. I'm on board.

I've got my Steam games divvied up between "Playing," "Unplayed," and "Archive." The Archive is where bad games and finished games go do die. Playing is anything I hit at least once a week, and Unplayed is stuff that has either never been touched or played less than 5 hours.

I probably won't go through alphabetically, at least not to start, because I've got some half-finished games that would be easy to knock out. Walking Dead, for instance. However, I do vow to start working on it tonight!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah -- anyone just join right in. The "community" part is to keep motivated as I have a feeling it's going to be a slog at some point, but you can play the same games or whatever you'd like in your own backlog. Whatever works.

I know I have some really good games in my account - I just need to pick through everything to get there.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I would never force myself to play a game for 5 hours. There are games the forum at large loves unconditionally that I couldn't be bothered to give 5 hours. One of these days I will learn not to buy platformers.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

YellowKing wrote:I've got my Steam games divvied up between "Playing," "Unplayed," and "Archive." The Archive is where bad games and finished games go do die. Playing is anything I hit at least once a week, and Unplayed is stuff that has either never been touched or played less than 5 hours.
Rather than archive, I have "Finished" and "Not Interested". NI has way more titles than F.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I did some reconfiggerin' and now I've got the following:

Archived - Anything I'm no longer interested in or don't think I will ever play again
Finished - Just to keep track of stuff I actually completed
Unfinished - Backlog

Current backlog looks like this:

Alice: Madness Returns
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
And Yet It Moves
Company of Heroes
Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts
Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor
Darksiders
Deux Ex: Human Revolution
Gish
Guardians of Graxia
Jolly Rover :doh:
Just Cause 2
L.A. Noire
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
LIMBO
Machinarium
Mark of the Ninja
Metro 2033
The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom
Puzzle Agent
Puzzle Agent 2
Quantum Conundrum
RAGE
Red Faction: Armageddon
Saints Row: The Third
Spirits
Torchlight II
Trine 2
Uplink
The Walking Dead
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

YK: what about games that you can't really "finish"? Any Civ game, or other 4x games that have infinite re-playability, or something like Counter Strike, etc? I personally would also put a game like Defense Grid in that category, since I will likely never uninstall that one. I am sure there are other examples I am missing, where there is not such a black and white delineation for "finished/unfinished".
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That's what the 5 hour limit is for me. I know there are games that are going to take longer than 5 hours to finish (right from my first batch, Avadon: The Black Fortress) and sandbox or 4X games (like my recently acquired copy of Sins: Rebellion) that can be played indefinitely and/or might not have specific ending or winning conditions as part of a SP campaign. For me, those open-ended games would simply remain in my library and when the mood strikes, I can play. But I don't even know if I like Runespell: Overture because I've spent 52 minutes playing it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Well, I finished (and I worked in my GoG.com backlog, too.)

Like I said, I have my Steam collection carefully organized by genre (FPS/Strategy/Action/Adventure etc) and have no desire to change that, so I entered all my games into an Excel sheet, labeled as follows:

Finished
Multiplayer
Played
Unplayed
Not Interested

The 'multiplayer' label is for dedicated multiplayer titles like Team Fortress 2 or MMOs that you don't really 'finish.'
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Carpet_pissr wrote:YK: what about games that you can't really "finish"? Any Civ game, or other 4x games that have infinite re-playability, or something like Counter Strike, etc? I personally would also put a game like Defense Grid in that category, since I will likely never uninstall that one. I am sure there are other examples I am missing, where there is not such a black and white delineation for "finished/unfinished".

You can reach a point at which you say, "That's finished." You've played it enough to say that you've seen what it has to offer. You may come back to it at some point in the future or not, but that's true of any game.

I'll likely play Defense Grid for years, but I've finished every mission at least once (most more), including all of the expansion packs. If I'm looking for games I haven't finished yet, it isn't on the list.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

One reason I'm so far behind is I have over 800 hours in Civ5 alone. Other favorites have 300-600 hours into them.
It's no wonder I can't catch up.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

YK: what about games that you can't really "finish"? Any Civ game, or other 4x games that have infinite re-playability, or something like Counter Strike, etc? I personally would also put a game like Defense Grid in that category, since I will likely never uninstall that one. I am sure there are other examples I am missing, where there is not such a black and white delineation for "finished/unfinished".
Those just go into Archive. I could easily break down Archive into sub-categories but I didn't really see the point if I'm not actively playing them anyway.

I left out the main category - the default Games one. That's where I keep anything I'm currently playing. So if I did want to get back into say, Call of Duty Multiplayer, I'd just move it back to my Games category.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

YellowKing wrote:I left out the main category - the default Games one. That's where I keep anything I'm currently playing. So if I did want to get back into say, Call of Duty Multiplayer, I'd just move it back to my Games category.
Ah, right - that's what I do as well.

Interestingly, the game that sucks most of my time (Civ IV), I don't even have installed on Steam. I am somehow able to load it from my desktop, sans DVD! Not sure if that has something to do with Game Jackal or not though (GJ is not even running in the background) At some point I should get it on Steam just to keep track of the hours played.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I did that. Got the whole bundle pretty cheap.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

YellowKing wrote:I did some reconfiggerin' and now I've got the following:

Archived - Anything I'm no longer interested in or don't think I will ever play again
Finished - Just to keep track of stuff I actually completed
Unfinished - Backlog

Current backlog looks like this:
I'll save you some time - Puzzle Agent is junk. Puzzles are really easy and they repeat the same puzzles numerous times, and the story is nonsense and ends in a cliffhanger. Maybe the second one is better but I'm not going to find out.
Jag

Post by Jag »

dbt1949 wrote:One reason I'm so far behind is I have over 800 hours in Civ5 alone. Other favorites have 300-600 hours into them.
That's why I don't bother trying to catch up. Just play what's fun for you.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Jag wrote:
dbt1949 wrote:One reason I'm so far behind is I have over 800 hours in Civ5 alone. Other favorites have 300-600 hours into them.
I agree completely, BUT, the reason I like the idea behind this thread, is because I will also easily just click Civ IV as a default when I have some serious "gaming time" to myself (very rare, at least in front of a desktop).

And I think that is partly me being lazy...even though, yes, I STILL enjoy the hell out of every Civ game I play...it's almost as if the obstacle to trying out some of the new shiny in my backlog is either because I am not crazy about learning a whole new system (see: lazy), and/or because my dedicated gaming time is so precious, I fear I will somehow "waste" it by putting time into a potentially bad game, when I have a perfectly good one that I know and love (DG or Civ as examples, but there are others).

Pretty sure we have had this conversation somewhere before here, but the exact thread escapes me.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
Jag wrote:
I agree completely, BUT, the reason I like the idea behind this thread, is because I will also easily just click Civ IV as a default when I have some serious "gaming time" to myself (very rare, at least in front of a desktop).

And I think that is partly me being lazy...even though, yes, I STILL enjoy the hell out of every Civ game I play...it's almost as if the obstacle to trying out some of the new shiny in my backlog is either because I am not crazy about learning a whole new system (see: lazy), and/or because my dedicated gaming time is so precious, I fear I will somehow "waste" it by putting time into a potentially bad game, when I have a perfectly good one that I know and love (DG or Civ as examples, but there are others).

Pretty sure we have had this conversation somewhere before here, but the exact thread escapes me.
I think it was a thread i started, somewhere. Here it is.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

My folder structure:

In Play [contains Legend of Grimrock and The Witcher 2]
Finished
Replay? [only for games that I really would like to fire up again ... all strategy ... to play for a few turns]
Stuck! [might come back to if I think of a "trick"]
Next? [short queue of candidates]

The remaining games are unsorted.

I have found that playing games all the way through helps me work through the backlog since I am pretty forgiving if a game is in my genre. I'm more likely to abandon a game due to "being stuck" than a lack of enjoyment.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I am pretty much done with Alien Hallway.

I've tried AaaaaaAAAAH and didn't like it that much. It's unique, but not my cup of tea.

I never really got very far in GTA3. I think I did about 4 missions. I can't assassinate that guy in Chinatown (I think I'll have to borrow his getaway car and send it to 8-ball) and I got stuck in some of the other missions when the heat got too high.

Same thing in Saint's Row 2. I finished the intro, but when it comes to free play, I can't seem to tag fast enough and run off to deal with the other gangs.

I'm Playing XCOM on and off.

And I'm playing Mafia II, and a bit of Just Cause 2 in between.

EDIT: Broke my own promise. Went to play DiRT 2 for a while. Surprisingly, I've gotten much further in the game than I got. I'm now "level 10" driver and I've determined I can only play on "Casual", where if I drive properly I can't be beat. (There's one level BELOW casual, called "easy"). The game looks FANTASTIC with the max res and everything visual turned on. AND the cars are responsive... sometimes, alarmingly so. I think I approached this game before wrong as I basically forgot to use the brakes. :D

Oh, and this game does have "flashbacks" (i.e. limited undo) Wonder which game started this trend? Never did play Dirt 1 (though I think I have it somewhere). I did play Colin McRae Rally (couple different versions)

I tried "Dear Esther" for about 5 minutes, I guess I don't quite "get" the game yet. I walk around the island and there's narrative here and there, haven't seen any objects to manipulate yet.
Last edited by Kasey Chang on Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Officially kicked off the challenge tonight by going back to The Walking Dead, which I had not played since July (after finishing Episode 2).

Unfortunately I think I'm going to derail myself not long after getting started when Far Cry 3 comes out this week. The reviews are looking stellar and I it's hitting at a time when I've been somewhat jonesing for a good shooter.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

after spring sale in which i got bunch of games, and never touched them. I now go by very simple rule, unless i really like the game and usually play similar genre or at least used to play certain genre (aka Xcom) i am not buying it. In the latest sale i only got Xcom and torchlight 2.

Most of the games i have on steam, i probably will never get around to play sad but true.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

I was going to write something, but this pretty much covers it:
Carpet_pissr wrote:...it's almost as if the obstacle to trying out some of the new shiny in my backlog is either because I am not crazy about learning a whole new system (see: lazy), and/or because my dedicated gaming time is so precious, I fear I will somehow "waste" it by putting time into a potentially bad game, when I have a perfectly good one that I know and love
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd