dbemont wrote: Lots of little details remain a bit unclear to me, but that is to be expected without an English manual. One thing in particular -- ranks and levels of units:
* Units keep leveling up, and I see this when I right click for details. My pikeman is a level 4.
* But in the unit recruitment screen, there are also ranks, and I gather these are different from levels. I have a couple level 4 slingers sitting in rank 2 on the screen. Not sure if that affects them in any way?
* But to complicate it still further, when I mouse over these units, they are all labeled rank 1, even the units placed in levels 2,3,4. This rank 1 label is confirmed if I right click on any of the units.
Not sure at all what to make of that.
The way I believe it works:
- In the unit recruitment (hiring) screen, you have four ranks of available hiring slots. These ranks are not related to the individual unit experience ranks (levels). They are the ranks of the actual unit itself. For example, a slinger is a rank 1 unit (regardless of its experience level).
- New ranks on the recruitment screen open up as a hero improves their command rating.
- A rank 1 unit (like the slinger) can be placed in any of the hiring rank levels 1, 2, 3, or 4 when they are being hired. If they are placed in a rank 2 slot, they are not any more powerful than they would be if you placed them in a rank 1 slot, it is just an available hiring, if you have no rank 2 units available for hire. Then, they will earn experience ranks (more hit points, damage, morale, etc.) as they perform and level up in battle.
-As tgb mentions, you will eventually be able to recruit higher rank units. When you recruit a rank 2 unit, it is not able to go into a rank 1 recruitment slot. It must be placed in a rank 2, 3, or 4 spot. Rank 3 units can go in a rank 3 or 4 spot. Rank 4 units can only go in rank 4 spots.
Spells work in a similar manner.