Torment: Tides of Numenera

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Zurai

Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera - now with more Kickstarter

Post by Zurai »

NickAragua wrote:(just as long as the turn-based goes away outside of combat, and the real-time thing has a pause option)
My understanding is that if they go turn-based, it will be using Wasteland 2's turn-based engine, which is real-time for exploration bits and automatically enters turn-based mode as soon as combat starts. And I'm sure that if they end up real-time there'll be plenty of pause and autopause options. Real-time without pause is a total mess if you're controlling a party, even with robust AI settings like Dragon Age.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

If they are making a true Torment game, then whether the combat is TB or RTwP should not really matter as long as they execute either option reasonably well. Combat in PST was adequate at best, and mostly good enough in the grand scheme of things.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Looks like the turn based option is pulling ever so slightly further ahead all the time. There's 190 more votes for turn based at the time of writing. With the two options being this close and with the development team seeming to prefer TB, I suspect that's what we'll end up with in the end. Maybe they decide to do both and allow the users to pick their favorite option, but I doubt it. That would require tremendous developer effort, balancing and playtesting.
Insert witty comment here.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

I still personally prefer RTP, but have no issues with TB since I consider both equally viable and fun, especially in light of how they plan to implement combat encounters.

I do laugh at all the reasons people throw out trying to convince others that one or the other is superior, but it's all just trade offs based on the game design and personal preference.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I was just a'comin' in to post that.

Hooray.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Total BS. I'm done. Issuing a chargeback to Kickstarter on my credit card now, they can't do this to their fans!

I voted RTwP but I'm cool with the end vote and their stated direction. I especially like this:
We believe it’s a stronger fit for bringing narrative elements, including dialogue with NPCs, into hand-crafted combat situations.
Although it's looking like most combat ("Crises (TM)"?) will be heavily scripted which I hadn't exactly been expecting.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Cool that's what I was hoping for.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

I'm cool with it. Just so long as they do it well.
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

Hmm, looks like things are now starting to percolate with this project. There is now a preview trailer at the main website (which has been relaunched)
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Yeah, they're moving from pre-production to full production now that Wasteland 2 is getting released.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

New trailer shared this morning -- "A World Unlike Any Other "
Maybe next year, maybe no go
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Smoove_B wrote:New trailer shared this morning
Maybe it's just me... but that seemed pretty underwhelming.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Enlarge Image
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

ColdSteel wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:New trailer shared this morning
Maybe it's just me... but that seemed pretty underwhelming.
Well, a non 3d non action game more about story telling than combat is not going to knock your socks off in a two minute trailer.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah, in theory Numenera tabletop game isn't about combat. You get xp for discovering new things not killing monsters and taking its stuff. So not sure a quick trailer is going to be exciting
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

First Alpha released
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

xwraith wrote:First Alpha released
I played it. It's very short (roughly 10 minutes and only one small, linear area), but gives a small taste of the way they're going to tell their story. I'm even more excited about the game now. :)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Awesome.
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

Does anyone have an inkling of when this is projected to ship? I have to admit I skim their update emails because they are so long . . . :oops:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

No idea. At least White March is only 10 days away...
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Fishbelly wrote:Does anyone have an inkling of when this is projected to ship? I have to admit I skim their update emails because they are so long . . . :oops:
I believe the projected release date is December this year, and I seem to recall them saying pretty recently that they're on track to hit that. Of course, this is the games industry so it's probably going to slip into early 2016, but that's par for the course.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It was originally supposed to be released in December of 2015, but I think that's the projected beta release now. I'm guessing late spring or early summer 2016 but that's a total guess on my part.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

I'll say this: They've gone out of their way to give you the Planescape: Torment feel with this game. Just the way the dialogue/storytelling system looks, and the way text scrolls onto the screen, reeks of nostalgia. The plot they're hinting at with these initial 10 minutes also has similarities. Putting the relatively vague details behind spoiler tags for those who don't want to know anything, but this is stuff you learn in the tutorial.
Spoiler:
You seem to be immortal again, and share your body with a bunch of other personalities. The twist here being that it's not your body, and you don't know who you're inhabiting or why. You don't even know who you are yourself, but there are strong implications that you're being hunted by something really, really dangerous that is burrowing through your memories. It might appear that any time you die you'll get tossed into your body's (or something else's) consciousness while your body regenerates, and that place is apparently becoming dangerous.
weashell

Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera

Post by weashell »

:horse:
RMC

Post by RMC »

I watched a Youtube video of someone playing the alpha, and umm... Wow, it looks less than good.

I know it is Alpha, so I will give it time, but that UI looks pretty bad. Now mind you I have not played it, and that is where it really matters, but the look of it reminds me of the old games from the 90's which is fine, but I want it to feel like the games I played in the 90's but have all the improvements since then.

I'll keep myself optimistic, as TiLT seems to be fairly positive about it and that is a good sign from someone who has played it.

And as I remember Wasteland 2 was a trainwreck in the alpha stage, and the final product was very enjoyable. So like I said, Optimistic, that's my name.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

It's very unfair to judge a game by an alpha. A lot of look/art is going to be placeholder and barely functional. There's another video of some gameplay that looks much better, IMO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coWnxfSFtKk
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

RMC wrote:I watched a Youtube video of someone playing the alpha
Bad idea, unless you've taken the time to read the developers' explanations of what is and isn't part of that particular alpha test. If you had read these documents, you'd have seen what parts of the UI are placeholder (the icons) and which are soon to be replaced with entirely new systems (the dialog window).

You can't just catch a quick glimpse of an alpha (which in this case is more of a prototype than an actual alpha) on YouTube and expect to get a realistic impression of the product. It's best to either just resist the temptation to watch, or to go all the way and participate in the alpha so that you'll get all the information you need first.
RMC

Post by RMC »

TiLT wrote:
RMC wrote:I watched a Youtube video of someone playing the alpha
Bad idea, unless you've taken the time to read the developers' explanations of what is and isn't part of that particular alpha test. If you had read these documents, you'd have seen what parts of the UI are placeholder (the icons) and which are soon to be replaced with entirely new systems (the dialog window).

You can't just catch a quick glimpse of an alpha (which in this case is more of a prototype than an actual alpha) on YouTube and expect to get a realistic impression of the product. It's best to either just resist the temptation to watch, or to go all the way and participate in the alpha so that you'll get all the information you need first.
<shrug> I like to look at things. And as I said, I will take your opinion since you have played it.
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

RMC wrote:<shrug> I like to look at things.
Nothing wrong with that. It's looking at things without knowing their context, and then drawing a conclusion based on them, that's a bad idea. The above exchange was a perfect example of why.
RMC

Post by RMC »

TiLT wrote:
RMC wrote:<shrug> I like to look at things.
Nothing wrong with that. It's looking at things without knowing their context, and then drawing a conclusion based on them, that's a bad idea. The above exchange was a perfect example of why.
Whatever, not sure what your problem is. I think I pointed out that I was not impressed by what I saw. I also said that I was not passing judgement. You seem to delight in pointing out stuff that is just not there.

I do find that I almost always have the opposite likes as you, so maybe that is it. But okay, your better and I am dumb. Got it. I'll keep that under advisement for the future.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

RMC wrote:But okay, your better and I am dumb. Got it. I'll keep that under advisement for the future.
I apologize if you got the impression that I was trying to be hostile towards you or belittle you in any way. I've recently become aware that we tend to be quite a bit more direct in Norway than what you're used to in the US, so our intentions can easily be misunderstood, especially when you've not got any facial expressions or tones of voice to relate to.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

RMC wrote: I think I pointed out that I was not impressed by what I saw. I also said that I was not passing judgement.
Uh, that's a contradiction right there :)
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

RMC wrote:
TiLT wrote:
RMC wrote: But okay, your better and I am dumb. Got it. I'll keep that under advisement for the future.
It's supposed to be "you're" :P.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

TiLT wrote: I've recently become aware that we tend to be quite a bit more direct in Norway than what you're used to in the US...
It's called the Norwayway. :wink:

FWIW, I didn't think any of your comments were hostile. Mildly curt maybe but not hostile.

MYT
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
TiLT wrote: I've recently become aware that we tend to be quite a bit more direct in Norway than what you're used to in the US...
It's called the Norwayway. :wink:
Or, channeling your latent viking.

*makes note to keep one eye on Norway*
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Grifman wrote:
RMC wrote: I think I pointed out that I was not impressed by what I saw. I also said that I was not passing judgement.
Uh, that's a contradiction right there :)
Glad I didn't have to be the one to point that out!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Update:
I’m proud to tell you that Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta will be coming to all eligible backers during the week of January 17th and to Steam Early Access on the 26th of January.

The beta will start you right in the beginning of the game and is quite lengthy for an early beta. It covers the game's introductory sequence (some of which you may have already seen a portion of in the alpha) as well as most of the first major location of the game, Sagus Cliffs. Sagus is a very old city that was built on top of ancient structures that predate the return of humanity to the Ninth World.
I don't have Beta access at my pledge level (I did the "All About the Games" one). If I did, I'd actually test rather than play for fun but I'm glad I don't because I want to go into this one cold. Just started Pillars of Eternity and hopefully that will last until Tides is released.

MYT
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I hope they found a way to work around or improve the level loading technology, because the load times in PoE were pretty awful, and inXile licensed PoE tech for this one.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

NickAragua wrote:I hope they found a way to work around or improve the level loading technology, because the load times in PoE were pretty awful, and inXile licensed PoE tech for this one.
Yeah, as I was sitting through numerous loads in PoE, I wondered why the heck someone doesn't finally put an interactive lore book or manual or stats/character pages on the load screen. Heck, throw up a random static page from the player's bestiary. There is so much flavor text in the game that probably gets ignored, use it.

MYT