Rocksmith for PC

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Boudreaux

Re: Rocksmith for PC

Post by Boudreaux »

Yeah, Steam shows me as having played it for over 90 hours. I've put in maybe 10-15.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

All my games were messed up for a while. A lot were showing that I had played 300 hours. :shock: Seems fixed for me now. Waiting for my bundle to come in. Wish I could have found it in the store. :(
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Do we have enough people that would be interested in song challenges? Announce one on Monday, and come back with a score by Sunday. I know we have vastly different skill levels, but it would still be a good motivator I think.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

noxiousdog wrote:Do we have enough people that would be interested in song challenges? Announce one on Monday, and come back with a score by Sunday. I know we have vastly different skill levels, but it would still be a good motivator I think.
That's a great idea.
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

I would play. I would be equally interested in those challenges prompting discussion of technique, problem areas, etc. from each weekly song.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I'd be in on something like that. I'd lose terribly but it would be fun.

I'm still working my way through the combined RS1 & RS14 songlist. I'm favoriting all the songs I don't hate so eventually I can have it just show me the "favorites". I generally only get to play ~40 minutes a night so it's a long process.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

You guys are going to make me buy 2014 aren't you? :P
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Exodor wrote:I'd be in on something like that. I'd lose terribly but it would be fun.
As long as you're better at the end of the week than the beginning, you win.

Any problems starting with Avenged Sevenfold: Bat Country?
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I might be interested in a few months. I have a feeling it's going to be rough going for a bit. :lol: Got my tracking number so it's shipping the the store today. Couple more days. I hate waiting arrrr....
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Octavious wrote:I might be interested in a few months. I have a feeling it's going to be rough going for a bit. :lol: Got my tracking number so it's shipping the the store today. Couple more days. I hate waiting arrrr....
Just hop right in. With the note flexibility and riff repeater, you'll be amazed at how quickly it comes along.
Black Lives Matter

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

If they ever ship the darn thing I would. :( I hate waiting. HATE it. :lol:

paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

noxiousdog wrote:Do we have enough people that would be interested in song challenges? Announce one on Monday, and come back with a score by Sunday. I know we have vastly different skill levels, but it would still be a good motivator I think.
I'd be up for it. I'm guessing I'd end up in the middle most of the time.
There would be a few ways to do scoring. The most straightforward would be score attack. It is pretty unforgiving, though, for us bad to mediocre players. Another way to do it might be to try for "most improved". Record your first percentage in Learn A Song mode and see how much higher you can take it in a week.
No sig, must scream, etc.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

paulbaxter wrote:
I'd be up for it. I'm guessing I'd end up in the middle most of the time.
There would be a few ways to do scoring. The most straightforward would be score attack. It is pretty unforgiving, though, for us bad to mediocre players. Another way to do it might be to try for "most improved". Record your first percentage in Learn A Song mode and see how much higher you can take it in a week.
I'm pretty sure it will be impossible to do as a competition, unless we do some sort of handicapping. Let's see how a few weeks go and then adjust if necessary.
Black Lives Matter

Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I think it will just be interesting to compare scores and discuss the songs that are picked.

Looking forward to practicing tonight.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Been playing Rocksmith a bit the past few days after not touching it for awhile.

Today all of my progress disappeared. I have 147 hours into the game and now I have to "start over", at least as far as levelling goes. :grund:

Probably going to just drop it again.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

OK. The wife wants to learn Guitar - and I think this is where she should do it.

When I buy the game - What / Where do I go to buy a guitar (the right cords?) to hook into the PC? Would Best Buy have something?
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Unagi wrote:OK. The wife wants to learn Guitar - and I think this is where she should do it.

When I buy the game - What / Where do I go to buy a guitar (the right cords?) to hook into the PC? Would Best Buy have something?
You can buy the game bundled with the cord you need - if Best Buy doesn't have it in stock you can get it from Amazon

Looks like the PC version with the cable is $76 but the console versions are about half that.

They also sell the cable separately but it's $50.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

I guess you know you can use any guitar that can hook up to an amp. A cheap electric would be way easier than an acoustic for a beginner, but then if you don't buy an actual amp, you can only play through the computer. You don't want something so used and warped that it loses tune as you go up the neck, though, because the game will use all positions.
I have but one advocate.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Yeah, she had gotten herself the acoustic guitar (and I've now got a pick-up for that), and if I push 'electric' she will stop listening to me about Rocksmith.
She's ready to do this all without any of this, and I'm exposed enough trying to connect a PC game to the whole thing.

Now... I will say I'm thinking about perhaps getting into this too. And her Left Handed acoustic guitar will not be anything I can use.... so... I may decide to be in the market.

getting the cable from Amazon... (I already had purchased the game, sigh).
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

I'm seeing the PS3 version with the cable included for $20 on ebay. You should just get that and throw away the disk if you don't want it.

I bought an electric when I purchased Rocksmith. Went with the Yamaha Pacifica 112. Been completely happy with it. Runs about $200. But get whatever guitar you like.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

(I don't own a ps3 nor xbox) So, the console option always then included that financial aspect - not to mention their would be additional (not worth it) marital hurdles to bringing in a console all of a sudden.
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

Unagi wrote:(I don't own a ps3 nor xbox) So, the console option always then included that financial aspect - not to mention their would be additional (not worth it) marital hurdles to bringing in a console all of a sudden.
I wasn't suggesting getting or using a console, just that you could get the cable much cheaper that way.

In any event, I absolutely have loved Rocksmith, even in the earlier less friendly 2012 version. You should absolutely try it out for yourself.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
malchior

Post by malchior »

Friendly warning if you want to keep using CDLC - start the game in offline mode and make sure it doesn't get updated to Remastered. Apparently there is a fix for CDLC out already but it isn't stable yet (and the host site is down).
Frnk55

Post by Frnk55 »

malchior wrote:Friendly warning if you want to keep using CDLC - start the game in offline mode and make sure it doesn't get updated to Remastered. Apparently there is a fix for CDLC out already but it isn't stable yet (and the host site is down).
I grabbed the fix a couple days ago and I've had RS crash once. No probs other than that. Maybe I lucked out.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Some people are saying it is song by song - most of my DLC still works but I wish I hadn't gotten the update (for a few weeks). That said - the tones are way better now - so I am enjoying that aspect.
Frnk55

Post by Frnk55 »

malchior wrote:Some people are saying it is song by song - most of my DLC still works but I wish I hadn't gotten the update (for a few weeks). That said - the tones are way better now - so I am enjoying that aspect.
RR is so much better now. That and stats, non stop play this upgrade kicks ass. :D
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Frnk55 wrote:
malchior wrote:Some people are saying it is song by song - most of my DLC still works but I wish I hadn't gotten the update (for a few weeks). That said - the tones are way better now - so I am enjoying that aspect.
RR is so much better now. That and stats, non stop play this upgrade kicks ass. :D
Yeah I love the new sorting options for non-stop play. And so far no crashes with mu CDLC.

I can see why they gave it to us 2014 owners for free - it's a minor upgrade - but it's still a nice gesture.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

OK, 1 day down, 59 days to go before I can start touring.

I couldn't get my old cable to be recognized on my gaming PC. It was cheaper to get the game for xbox one with a cable than to get the cable by itself, so now I have it for xbox one. That should help motivate me from a sound perspective (big 7.1 surround vs tiny stereo speakers).

I do wish it would share the save across devices/platforms.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

coopasonic wrote:I couldn't get my old cable to be recognized on my gaming PC.
Did you plug it into a USB3.0 port? Apparently it works best with USB2.0.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah, I have no idea what my ports support. I tried all 8 ports I have. I tried disabling usb3.0 support or something like that in the BIOS. The old cable worked fine in my wife's computer. The new cable worked fine in my computer. *shrug* I actually have a powered USB 2.0 hub coming in the mail tomorrow as a hail mary, but I don't need it now, but you can never have too much USB right?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

coopasonic wrote:Yeah, I have no idea what my ports support. I tried all 8 ports I have. I tried disabling usb3.0 support or something like that in the BIOS. The old cable worked fine in my wife's computer. The new cable worked fine in my computer. *shrug* I actually have a powered USB 2.0 hub coming in the mail tomorrow as a hail mary, but I don't need it now, but you can never have too much USB right?
USB 3.0 ports typically have a blue insert.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Rocksmith Now Supports Acoustic Guitars
Electric guitar is awesome – but it really only tells half the story. Millions of guitarists choose to play acoustic guitar, whether it be for stylistic reasons, genre reasons, even “that’s the guitar my family already owns” reasons. And hey, there’s also a reason so many bands went “unplugged” in the 90s – there’s no substitute for the unique feeling and sound of an acoustic guitar. It’s an entirely different way to play.

That brings us to Rocksmith. Even though there are plenty of songs in the library that prominently feature acoustic guitars (R.E.M.’s “Losing My Religion,” Bob Dylan’s “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door,” Extreme’s “More Than Words,” Don McLean’s “American Pie,” Kenny Rogers’ “The Gambler,” and Eagle Eye Cherry’s “Save Tonight” all come to mind), most players use electric guitars and basses when they play. If you have an acoustic with a pickup in it (sometimes called an “acoustic-electric” or “electroacoustic” guitar, or a guitar fitted with a removable pickup that temporarily slides into the soundhole), the Real Tone Cable works just fine – but anybody with a traditional acoustic guitar hasn’t been able to join in the fun.

Well, that changes today. When you sign in to your platform’s online network, a new free patch will download and add Microphone Mode to your copy of Rocksmith 2014 Edition Remastered. Now, you can plug a dedicated USB microphone into your hardware (console or PC), point it at your acoustic guitar, and play without a Real Tone Cable. The only difference you’ll notice is that the Authentic Tones are disabled – so if you want to play Pantera on your acoustic, you won’t get that great Dimebag Darrell distortion bleeding out of your speakers in Microphone Mode. But Rocksmith will still hear your playing, let you know which notes you got right, and adjust the difficulty to match your skill level, just like when you play with the Real Tone Cable connected.

malchior

Post by malchior »

Neat change. I have a Breedlove solo that I use sometimes plugged in. Might try it purely acoustic just to see how it goes.
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

Treated myself to the Yes song pack today.

Just in case you forgot, Starship Troopers is nine and a half minutes long.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I just bought a Telecaster and Rocksmith in my third attempt to learn to play the guitar. I'm two hours in and am ridiculously terrible, but I really enjoy the approach. I'll try to get in an hour a night and report back after 60 days.
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

Ubisoft has finally announced a successor product. Rocksmith+. They're apparently moving to a subscription model, rather than the buy song packs model. I've been such a big fan since the early days that I'll probably try it out. There's a closed beta application at the link as well.

linky
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I'm not sure how I feel about the subscription model and I hope the mod community finds a way to make all the custom songs work with the new version - but I'll almost certainly try it out. I put a lot of time into the game and now that my daughter plays guitar we like to play together with her on lead and me playing bass.
malchior

Post by malchior »

paulbaxter wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:16 pm Ubisoft has finally announced a successor product. Rocksmith+. They're apparently moving to a subscription model, rather than the buy song packs model. I've been such a big fan since the early days that I'll probably try it out. There's a closed beta application at the link as well.

linky
I've been hoping to get into the beta. I only have 2000+ hours in Rocksmith over the years. :D
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

Just got my beta invite. Won't be able to try it quite yet, but probably later today.