Rocksmith for PC

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Ralph-Wiggum

Re: Rocksmith for PC

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I need to get back into Rocksmith but I had to return my friend's guitar that I had borrowed for the game. Does anyone have recommendations for a cheap (<$100?) guitar that might work ok for Rocksmith? Since I'm pretty awful at guitar and there's a fair I won't stick with it for too long, I don't need anything great. If I really get into it, I can always upgrade to a better guitar in the future.
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

paulbaxter wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:08 pm Just got my beta invite. Won't be able to try it quite yet, but probably later today.
Same here. Installing now but work is slamming so probably won't get to this until later.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:51 pm I need to get back into Rocksmith but I had to return my friend's guitar that I had borrowed for the game. Does anyone have recommendations for a cheap (<$100?) guitar that might work ok for Rocksmith? Since I'm pretty awful at guitar and there's a fair I won't stick with it for too long, I don't need anything great. If I really get into it, I can always upgrade to a better guitar in the future.
I bought a Squier Strat more than 20 years ago and it is still a solid performer. Of course, that was 20+ years ago. I'm not sure if the 2021 models are the same at all.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

Just tried it out for about 20 minutes or so. The concept is all similar to what we're used to: instructional videos/lessons, songs to play and feedback on how you did. Only complaint so far is that when starting the program it opens the microphone channel on the computer and was creating a significant amount of feedback on the opening videos. Once I plugged in my Realtone cable that went away.

You do have a few options about how to connect, including via a phone app, though I didn't test that.

The songs available at the moment include some of the ones from Rocksmith II, plus a bunch of stuff from a pretty wide variety of genres. Not an enormous list right now, but who knows where that will go. Things seemed to function pretty well so far. No real glitches. I did have to hunt a bit to find how to reverse the string order again since the default just feels upside down to me.
No sig, must scream, etc.
malchior

Post by malchior »

paulbaxter wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:59 pm I did have to hunt a bit to find how to reverse the string order again since the default just feels upside down to me.
Same here.

My big gripe is the same one I had with the last version - fast rock strumming doesn't consistently register power chords. Across multiple guitars. It also absolutely refused to register a barre chord I was playing. I saw some of this behavior in Rocksmith 2014 and I was hoping they'd fix that.

In the end, actually "playing the game" is not really what I'm after anyway but I always hope it'll get accurate enough for "fine tuning" skills. It isn't there IMO still. Hopefully it'll get there.
malchior

Post by malchior »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:57 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:51 pm I need to get back into Rocksmith but I had to return my friend's guitar that I had borrowed for the game. Does anyone have recommendations for a cheap (<$100?) guitar that might work ok for Rocksmith? Since I'm pretty awful at guitar and there's a fair I won't stick with it for too long, I don't need anything great. If I really get into it, I can always upgrade to a better guitar in the future.
I bought a Squier Strat more than 20 years ago and it is still a solid performer. Of course, that was 20+ years ago. I'm not sure if the 2021 models are the same at all.
Probably similar. Guitar tech hasn't really meaningfully advanced in the budget space for several decades.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Has anyone tried using an acoustic guitar with Rocksmith? I think I would probably be more likely to play an acoustic on my own outside of the game, but don't really want to get two separate guitars.
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:53 am Has anyone tried using an acoustic guitar with Rocksmith? I think I would probably be more likely to play an acoustic on my own outside of the game, but don't really want to get two separate guitars.
I have. My Breedlove has a pick up and it worked fine. I also tried the App yesterday and it worked well with it.
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

I just noticed today that the beta invite has a link to invite other folks, so if you're interested just let me or one of the other posters know and I guess we can get you an invite.

edit: seems that this isn't actually functional, sorry..
Last edited by paulbaxter on Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

paulbaxter wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:55 pm I just noticed today that the beta invite has a link to invite other folks, so if you're interested just let me or one of the other posters know and I guess we can get you an invite.
I'm interested. I just remembered to register for the beta yesterday. I'm coopasonic on pretty much every service ever, including gmail, depending how you have to provide input.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:30 pm
paulbaxter wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:55 pm I just noticed today that the beta invite has a link to invite other folks, so if you're interested just let me or one of the other posters know and I guess we can get you an invite.
I'm interested. I just remembered to register for the beta yesterday. I'm coopasonic on pretty much every service ever, including gmail, depending how you have to provide input.
I forwarded the email to you. I would bet you can just click one of the links from it and sign up.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

paulbaxter wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:11 pm
coopasonic wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:30 pm
I forwarded the email to you. I would bet you can just click one of the links from it and sign up.
Apparently they are better at security than that. My account is not authorized.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

malchior wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:22 pm
coopasonic wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:57 pm
Probably similar. Guitar tech hasn't really meaningfully advanced in the budget space for several decades.
I look at guitars every so often. Have done it since I was a kid. Have wanted to play since I was a kid. never took the time. Anyways online these two are recommended a few times over along with many other brands. Ive wanted an Ibanez forever. Also a 1980s Kramer and a Les Paul :)

Ibanez RG421 Electric Guitar $299
Enlarge Image

Ibanez GRGR120EX Electric Guitar $199
Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Curious to read your thoughts. The goons over at SomethingAwful are very negative on it so far - lots of complaints about the UI and note recognition.

EDIT - whoops, didn't see page 3. :mrgreen: But still curious for more thoughts and if anyone has a spare invite I wouldn't mind.
malchior

Post by malchior »

For me the UI complaints...are just mostly based on change. Though they made some odd decisions like making it very hard to see some strums on chords. Not that it matters because the recognition is a real problem. I could very much see myself sticking with 2014 (even unsupported) and use it the same way I have in the past -- plug the tone cable in to a usb port, plug my guitar into my actual amp, and just use it as tabs for customsforge songs. It's still beta though and I imagine they are still working on the 'engine'.
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

So far, note recognition on chords has been terrible. If it's more than 2 notes, it just doesn't seem to hear it. Even so, I've been jamming out on Luther Vandross. Hadn't heard Only For One Night before. Nice bedroom kinda song.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

So I got an invite on Friday. It seems fine for me but after all these years I am still very much a beginner and I wouldn't know if it was missing note recognition as I am pretty sure I am missing most of them myself. The biggest thing missing for me are the skill games. They gave me some interesting variety. Also I bought a TON of songs on the xbox version of Rocksmith 2014 and now there's not much in Rocksmith+ that interests me. It's like the 90s barely exists.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Finally releasing Tuesday, September 6th.
How much is a subscription to Rocksmith+?
It will be available for $14.99 for a 1-month subscription, $39.99 for a 3-month subscription, and $99.99 for a 12-month subscription.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

Was a day 1 purchase for me, since I'm a total Rocksmith fanboy. Haven't spent a ton of time with it yet. So far everything seems to work well. There are teaching videos with instructors which lead into practice exercises. Note detection seems to work well. Big list of songs already from a pretty wide variety of genres.

The only issue I've had is that they've made some minor changes to the note display, particularly to chord shapes. Just need to get used to the new way it looks.

If you've done the beta test, most things look about the same. No more crowds swaying in the background. I like it all so far. May report back when I get to try more of it.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I paid for the full year just to encourage me to use it (hahahahaha), but I can't stop playing other games long enough to check it out.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Is Rocksmith REALLY a good teach for a beginner? As a teen ...well I started as a 6th grader so age 11.....I had an acoustic and I knew music like notes, writing music, cords...but I gave it up for girls...sue me..I means GIRLS..come on a guitar has no chance against girls as a teen.

So if I got a guitar and Rocksmith...plus YT and other online videos...do I have a chance at learning to play electric? Of course when the house is paid I could get lessons. But how would I do alone and with Rocksmith?

And YES good Lord I know I have no money for A GUITAR now. I will someday if I sell enough stuff. Can get a nice RG Ibanez new at Guitar Center for like $250

EDIT: Or maybe a Schecter.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:05 pm Is Rocksmith REALLY a good teach for a beginner? As a teen ...well I started as a 6th grader so age 11.....I had an acoustic and I knew music like notes, writing music, cords...but I gave it up for girls...sue me..I means GIRLS..come on a guitar has no chance against girls as a teen.

So if I got a guitar and Rocksmith...plus YT and other online videos...do I have a chance at learning to play electric? Of course when the house is paid I could get lessons. But how would I do alone and with Rocksmith?

And YES good Lord I know I have no money for A GUITAR now. I will someday if I sell enough stuff. Can get a nice RG Ibanez new at Guitar Center for like $250

EDIT: Or maybe a Schecter.
Rocksmith is GREAT for beginners. They have material to walk you through all the very basics, get you playing simplified versions of music you like, and can walk you through many advanced skills. Never seen another music teaching program anywhere near as good. Of course one would benefit by also using other learning methods along side it, like in person lessons.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

it should be noted that preply.com has a number of online music tutors, some of which are $10/hour (or even a bit less)

https://preply.com/en/online/music-tuto ... ice_lowest
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

Having a blast again just playing and trying out songs. I really got into Only For One Night by Luther Vandross during the beta test, and having fun with it again. Just loving his R&B sound.

Couple of forgotten 80s tunes that have been fun. Toto's I Won't Hold You Back, which for a little while was on soft rock radio all the time, but haven't heard it in decades, and Would I Lie To You by the Eurhythmics, which is more fun than I remembered.

Playing around with Johnny Winter's song Mean Mistreater. Had never heard it before, but Johnny Winter was a hell of a blues guitarist.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

FYI for Rocksmith fans:
Nearly 10 years ago we launched Rocksmith 2014 and set out on a journey of learning and playing guitar together, practicing old favorites, and discovering new ones along the way. We thank you for an incredible decade and know a big part of that was being able to feature officially licensed music to learn and play in Rocksmith 2014.

Now as we approach that decade mark, we must remove Rocksmith 2014 for purchase from all digital storefronts as of October 23, 2023. DLC packs and Singles for Rocksmith 2014 will be removed from those storefronts over time as well.
Note:
If you already own Rocksmith 2014 or any DLC from Rocksmith 2014, you will still be able to install, download, re-download, play, and use those products. You should experience no change or interruption in your access. If you do not own those products, you will not be able to purchase them digitally once they are removed from storefronts.
Spoiler for long list of songs and when they're being pulled:
Spoiler:
The following songs will be delisted from digital storefronts on October 23, 2023. Song packs that include any of the listed song singles will also be unavailable as of that date:

The Lumineers – “Ho Hey”

The Hives – “Hate To Say I Told You So”

Chicago – “25 To 6 Or 4”

Smashing Pumpkins – “Cherub Rock”
Tame Impala – “Elephant”

Them Crooked Vultures – “Mind Eraser No Chaser”

Albert King – “The Sky Is Crying”

Queens Of The Stone Age – “My God Is The Sun”

The following songs will be delisted from digital storefronts on October 27, 2023. Song packs that include any of the listed song singles will also be unavailable as of that date:

Smashing Pumpkins - “1979”

Smashing Pumpkins - “Bullet With Butterfly Wings”

Smashing Pumpkins - “Disarm”

Smashing Pumpkins - “Today”

Smashing Pumpkins -“Tonight Tonight”

November

Note: For Playstation 3, all songs for November will be delisted on November 1, 2023

The following songs will be delisted from digital storefronts on November 3, 2023. Song packs that include any of the listed song singles will also be unavailable as of that date:

Iron Maiden - “Aces High”

Iron Maiden - “Fear of the Dark”

Iron Maiden - “Run to the Hills”

Iron Maiden - “The Number of the Beast”

Iron Maiden - “Two Minutes to Midnight”

Iron Maiden Song Pack

Hotei – “Battle Without Honor or Humanity”

Hotei – “Bambina”

Hotei – “Thrill”

Hotei Song Pack

The following songs will be delisted from digital storefronts on November 10, 2023. Song packs that include any of the listed song singles will also be unavailable as of that date:

Alice In Chains - “Hollow”

Alice In Chains - “Would?”

Alice In Chains - “Check My Brain”

Alice In Chains - “Man In A Box”

Alice In Chains - “Them Bones”

Alice In Chains Song Pack

The following songs will be delisted from digital storefronts on November 17, 2023. Song packs that include any of the listed song singles will also be unavailable as of that date:

Green Day - “American Idiot”

Green Day - “Basket Case”

Green Day - “Oh Love”

Green Day Song Pack

B’z – “Easy Come, Easy Go!”

B’z – “Giri Giri Chop”

B’z – “Juice”

B’z Song Pack

The following songs will be delisted from digital storefronts on November 24, 2023. Song packs that include any of the listed song singles will also be unavailable as of that date:

Radiohead - “Creep”

Radiohead - “Just”

Radiohead - “Karma Police”

Radiohead - “My Iron Lung”

Radiohead - “Optimistic”

Radiohead Song Pack
Maybe next year, maybe no go