Age of Wonders 3

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

ColdSteel

Age of Wonders 3

Post by ColdSteel »

Did you or any of your Facebook friends play our Age of Wonders or Overlord games? Then it's time to Like us, because we will soon unveil our unannounced game here on Facebook!! (...with a minimum of 1000 likes even sooner ;)
http://www.facebook.com/TriumphStudiosG ... 4838230294

All signs point to a new AoW game. They are up to 980 likes so far. If you have a facebook account, then for the love of god go ahead and like this 20 more times so we can get an announcement already. :D
Last edited by ColdSteel on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: New Triumph Studios game (Age of Wonders 3)?

Post by Zaxxon »

Liked. (982)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Please don't be a Facebook game.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Blackhawk wrote:Please don't be a Facebook game.
Surely not. Surely?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Hopefully not, and don't call me Shirley.
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

987!

Please be a new AoW game <3
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Make sure you're liking Triumph Studios and not just the linked post.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I could go for some AoW3.
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

I thought there was an Age of Wonders 3 and it's called
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Up to 997 likes. Only 3 more likes needed for the announcement. Come on peeps, dredge up 3 likes from somewhere, I'm dying here.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's at 1k exactly.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

They didn't say they'd announce when they hit 1k likes, just that it would be sooner if they did.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Samuel Mackenzie: Any word on when "soon" is? Please dont do what square enix did saying thered be news "soon" then saying "soon" could be some time next year.
Triumph Studios: No worries Samuel Mackenzie. We admittedly like a little cruelty in our games, but cruelty is not part of our marketing (well, at least not purposely :wink:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Oh please oh please...
I have but one advocate.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

A day after they got 1000 likes on Facebook they posted a small sample of music for the new game there. The music is composed by Michiel van den Bos who did the music for all the AoW games to date. The clip sure sounds Age of Wonderish to me. If I was a betting man I'd bet on the announcemnt being a new AoW game. They said they'll announce it next week so we'll soon see.

At Christmas they released a scrambled puzzle picture in the shape of an X-mas tree which someone unscambled (see below). That sure looks like a Runemaster in there to me and the city sure looks AoWish. It looks to me like they've gone 3D which is no surprise. I've heard they're using Unreal Engine 4 for the new game.

Zurai

Post by Zurai »

The music didn't really sound like Age of Wonders to me. It has been, what, 10 years though, I would expect the composer's style to drift some.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Zurai wrote:The music didn't really sound like Age of Wonders to me. It has been, what, 10 years though, I would expect the composer's style to drift some.
Don't mistake technology for musical qualities now. His style is still very similar to what he did with Age of Wonders 1 (he didn't do AoW2, AFAIK), even if he has upgraded from Impulse Tracker to more modern forms of sequencing.
Insert witty comment here.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Oh, I was comparing it to AoW2 music, that's probably why.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Rejoice, for the game is indeed Age of Wonders 3! :)
tgb

Post by tgb »

Just this morning I was thinking that I couldn't name a single upcoming release that I was really looking forward to (other than Masters of the Broken World).

Now I can, even if it's at least 6 months away.

[off-topic edit] Right after I posted this I thought I'd check in on Vic Davis' blog, which hadn't been updated since September, to see if Occult Chronicles was still alive. Happily enough it is. I will definitely be pre-ordering to get the beta.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Awesome news. And here is an article from Euronetgamer with screenshots. I love the look of the game. It looks so AoWish.

Edit: And here's the Triumph announcement on their new forums. It has a lot of good info:
Triumph Studios Announces Age of Wonders III

The critically acclaimed fantasy series makes its long prophesied return, taking its strategy/RPG formula to the next level, powered by a new proprietary 3D engine.

DELFT, the Netherlands, February 6th 2013 – Triumph Studios, the team behind the successful Overlord and Age of Wonders series, today revealed Age of Wonders 3 for PC. The third Age of Wonders marks a modern reimagining of the series, where players join a clash of kings, queens and dark lords for the spoils of an ancient paradise. By introducing unique RPG-inspired classes and specializations, players are able to craft empires of their own design, developing unique strategies and play styles. The world-changing conflict plays out on sweeping landscapes, loaded with mythical locations waiting to be uncovered, conquered and exploited.

“In Age of Wonders 3, we extrapolate RPG style classes to be the leaders of fantasy empires.” says Lennart Sas, Development Director at Triumph. “For example: as a Goblin Theocrat you can build your own holy empire, recruit little goblin crusaders or cute winged goblin angels equipped with flaming weapons, and wage war on your heathen enemies. We want players to be able to choose between lots of different play styles, without being restricted by fantasy clichés, like All Goblins Are Evil.”

Arno van Wingerden, Triumph’s Tech Director says: ” the new engine truly reflects the choices players have made by affecting how their realm and units are represented It makes the gameplay on both the strategic and battle maps more immersive than ever, while retaining the gameplay and feel of the previous games.”

Key features include:
● Explore, expand and exploit a living fantasy world. Discover wondrous locations and gather
legendary heroes.
● Develop your domain, with many classes having the ability to change terrain and climates to
suit your needs.
● All new 3D graphics that provide a crisper and more detailed overview of the world and battle
maps.
● New styles of play are possible with the introduction of RPG style leader classes like warlord,
theocrat, rogue and sorcerer, along with a wide selection of specializations.
● Command a variety of races. Pick your starting race and shape your people’s destiny using
your leader’s unique skills.
● A brand-new tactical battle system renders each battlefield and siege in great detail; new rules
include flanking and a massive set of special unit abilities.
● An epic story campaign with two playable factions;. Choose the mighty Commonwealth Empire or join the Court of the High Elves, founded after the reunion of the Dark Elves and Wood Elves.
● Compete online in extensive multiplayer modes and scenarios.
● High replay value through random maps, difficulty modes and tools allowing user created
content.

Age of Wonders 3® has not yet been rated and has an estimated late 2013 release date on PC. It will be published through digital distribution and brought to retail stores in selected territories.
For more information and regular updates please visit http://www.ageofwonders.com" target="_blank
Jag

Post by Jag »

Happy dance!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Yes, please!

Though, I wonder if they will avoid the super-unit trap. I always knew I'd won AoW:SM when I learned the Gold Dragon spell. With a stack of Gold Dragons I could defeat anything the game had to offer.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Jag wrote:Happy dance!
Indeed! I didn't really dare hope that it was AoW3. Shadow Magic is still one of my favorite games ever.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Definitely in for this one. Somewhat sad that I won't be writing the manual, but very stoked for more AoW.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Zurai wrote:
Jag wrote:Happy dance!
Indeed! I didn't really dare hope that it was AoW3. Shadow Magic is still one of my favorite games ever.
It is actually one of the few old games I still play.
JonathanStrange

I'm optimistic.

ONE: I do hope that the AI is greatly improved; the AOWSM AI would, iirc, rarely or never build cities in the sandbox random games. Once I'd established myself - and the AI had gobbled up the Independent cities it could - I'd run over the enemy.

TWO: I would love the Elven Concealment feature really function; it was one of those attributes I wanted to use but didn't work. Having Elven Glade Runners that could scout or do picket duty in concealment would've gone far to make up for their weak fighting abilities.
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Zaxxon wrote:Definitely in for this one. Somewhat sad that I won't be writing the manual, but very stoked for more AoW.
What he said.
dbemont

Post by dbemont »

Excellent news! And I am glad to hear they are aiming for more tactical depth.
Commish of OOTP online league Dog Days Baseball
Jag

Post by Jag »

The Dev Director is posting over at QTT if anyone has any questions.

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk ... 800&page=5" target="_blank
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Yes, Lennart has posted a lot of interesting information there about the planned improvements to the AI in particular. I'm glad they're going with threaded AI.
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

Random Maps <3
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
ColdSteel

Re: Age of Wonders 3

Post by ColdSteel »

Renamed the thread now that the game is confirmed..

A few interesting new bits of information:

The big mystery investor funding AoW3 was confirmed recently on the Triumph facebook site as Notch of Minecraft fame who is a big fan of the AoW games. His funding will allow them to do the game right and develop it without publisher pressure.

Michiel van den Bos has been posting about the AoW 3 soundtrack on the official website after Lennart Sas posted this:
Lennart Sas wrote:Just jamming to the AoW3 remake of Battle Macabre , it’s so much more epic
Michiel van den Bos wrote:There will be a lot of nods to the original soundtrack. I’m either using parts of old songs to add to new ones, expanding on ideas from the originals or completely remixing them, as well as completely new compositions. There will be plenty of recognition.
Michiel van den Bos wrote:The basis will be symphonic with synth soundbeds and instruments where applicable. Pretty much what the original would sound like if it was made with modern day tools.
Michiel van den Bos wrote:Happy to do it and I’m happy that people still have fond memories of the original soundtrack
Also Lennart Sas had something interesting to say about how alignment is established in the new game after people were throwing out false speculation about class determining it:
Lennart Sas wrote:Hi! Class doesn’t fix alignment. Of course it doesn’t!!

Alignment starts fairly neutral, with certain starting races likely to have a (smaller) disposition to dark or light.

Your actions are the key determining factor of alignment. If you go out razing with your High Elves, you’ll become evil. If you play like mother Theresa as a Goblin, you become good, only you might be less likely to do so.

Some classes (esp the Rogue and a possible future Necromancer class that’s still on the drawing board) have certain skills that could be a catalyst on sending your alignment going south a lot quicker than other classes. think of transforming an entire population to undead. Or a nice tempting gold boost on pillage and plunder.

If you want to play an evil Goblin Theo, pick some nice dark player colors, like blood Red on sinister Black (which will be applied on your units, replacing the White/Yellow on the robes of the concept art), choose “Graveyard Gloom” as your leader portrait ambience, raze some heathen cities and you’ll be all the rage at your annual evil fantasy despots gathering
Jag

Post by Jag »

That's very cool that Notch is funding it. Guy is probably worth some serious cash.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Thanks to Notch funding this thing, AoW3 is probably going to turn out as if it was funded by a hugely successful Kickstarter campaign. I wonder what their budget is, and I also wonder if they have reserved funds for marketing or if they're going to rely on word of mouth?
JonathanStrange

Well as long as the music's good and class doesn't fix alignment and their fund-raising is interesting...

Books Read 2013
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

The big news of the day. Dire Penguins are in..
Lennart Sas wrote:Today we put the Dire Penguins in 3d production. Their units will look better than ever, marching in their little penguin formations ready to take over the world.
Also, some information on combat:
Lennart Sas wrote:We did add cool combat rules like flanking which adds to tactical possibilities in nearly all battles. Also added are combat previews appearing on mouse-over of a potential target. They illustrate possible Damage Range, % to hit for abilities, and the bonuses and penalties (e.g. Dragon Slaying, Flanking, Block Projectiles) kick in for any kind of attack in TC. Saves a lot of time of manually comparing character sheets.
Lennart Sas wrote:The attack system has been changed to avoid the - in dev team’s opinion – abundant misses for regular attacks in the previous games. It also makes more sense with entire regiments clashing now, its not an old school D&D game where a guy takes a single swing. Added benefit is that it makes lower level units more useful, but there’s still a healthy damage fall off curve. Of course we still have damage protections and immunities.

For special attacks we have added the option to add effects on a target’s successful saving rolls. E.g. a failed dominate could still stun or damage the target unit.
On sieges:
Lennart Sas wrote:The adjacent hexes are translated to a setup were the two sides face each other with a multi-gate wall in between. The initiating army directly faces the defending army occupying the center city hex in the center of the battle map, with other units pulled into the city combat with their position relevant to their closeness to the initiating attacking and defending armies. The “unfolded wall” picture linked above is pretty much correct. We feel this avoids the long trek around a city’s walls which we found to be *very* frustrating at times. I this setup the attacker is still able to spread out the defender’s forces when attacking with multiple stacks. Added side effect is that it just feels more realistic (most sieges attempted to concentrate their wall breaching efforts) and cities aren’t ridiculously tiny.

For open field battles, the 6 directions are maintained.

Relating to sieges: attackers are now able to wear cities out by camping outside a city’s surrounding farmlands. This gives garrisons a stronger incentive to make break out attacks. This is a nice alternative the the frontal siege assault and is also inline with historic sieges.
JonathanStrange

That's more like it! I can't tell you how many times Dire Penguins have saved the day for the Frostlings. Although my personal favorite race is the boring Elves; it seemed to me that their pitiful Level 1 and Level 2 units were a good handicap for the Player. Their Level 3 Iron Maiden unit though I particularly liked; speed and hitting power.

If their combat animations are good - and of course their tactical possibilities - I'll still play the Elves. I repeat though: Give the Elf Glade Runners a working Concealment trait.

Books Read 2013
Odin

Post by Odin »

Thanks to this thread, I decided to go back and fire up an old copy of AoW. I didn't remember specifics about any of them, so I just picked the most recent one - Shadow Magic. Lo and behold, it was STILL SHRINK-WRAPPED. I somehow managed to own this game for nearly 10 years and I'd NEVER played it. Rectifying that right now.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Dude. Shadow Magic is amazing.