Marvel Heroes

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: Marvel Heroes

Post by GreenGoo »

Free Black Cat just for logging in on Friday (25th Nov).
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

GreenGoo wrote:Free Black Cat just for logging in on Friday (25th Nov).
I now have a free Black Cat.

Plus random = Colossus (yay!)
plus bought = Scarlet Witch.

So I have 5 uncapped heroes now.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I picked up the free Black Cat too. Then, the "Pick a Card" deal on login gave me a "90% Off G" sale. So I bought the $100 pack of G (11500?) for $10 bucks. Whee?

So picked up a couple costumes, (BOGO), though nothing noteworthy. I purchased Rogue and got Iceman for free. And bought a cheap Kamala Khan team-up, because my kids like her. Also picked up some storage as it's on sale too. All of that and I still have 8000+ G I think. Then my internet busted out and that capped my playing today.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I had no real intention of spending money on the game, but if I get 90% off, I'll almost certainly throw 10 bucks in just to have some G lying around.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

GreenGoo wrote:I had no real intention of spending money on the game, but if I get 90% off, I'll almost certainly throw 10 bucks in just to have some G lying around.
Yeah, that was pretty much my opinion too. I've thrown some money down months ago, as I typically will if I play a free game for awhile. But I've hardly been doing much recently except logging on for freebies. And I still might not have bit if not for the sales they had running too. So yeah, I gave in. Even leveled a couple characters a bit. Then my internet died. Will probably fire it back up in a day or two.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The Thing continues to be indestructible at lvl 44. Dr. Doom really comes into his own when he hits lvl 42 which allows him 3 permanent doombots as well as 3 temporary specialized latverian bots at once. Gambit's initial weakness in Chapter 3 has long since past, and although I wanted to build him for melee, his ranged abilities are strengthening enough that I'm leaning towards ranged almost against my will. I can still pole vault repeatedly until everything is dead though, so that's effective, if a little boring.

I have 6 heroes, all of which are level 25 or above so at least I have 6 synergies available. All incremental bonuses but still useful.

Unique gear is falling like rain during this event. Everyone is fully uniqued up and I still have 6-10 loot boxes in storage for post event usage. It's a little monty haulish.

Beating up bad guys still hasn't gotten old. It helps that different heroes play differently of course.

No sign of 90% off G coupon. That's probably a rare one.

I'm going to explore the extra hotkey changes Max posted. The doombots disappear when you change maps, but that is the only time I need to summon them so it seems a waste to keep them on my normal hotbar, but it's often enough that it's annoying otherwise. I'm not sure why the arrow keys can't be mapped from within the game. They are reserved for some reason.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Struggling to get the keybindings to work. Seems pretty straightforward but there are two files that seem to control the player configurable bindings while the instructions only talk about doing one or the other. Meanwhile my changes are not being read by the game and the bindings I change remain as they were before I edited the ini file. Yes, I close the game and reload.

So either the file I'm editing is not in control of the bindings or it's simply not being read (perhaps I'm putting syntax errors or extra white space that makes the game barf when trying to load?).

I'm trying MarvelInput.ini because that seems to be simpler according to instructions.

I guess I can try the MarvelInputUserSettings.ini. At a guess I think the MarvelInputUserSettings.ini file must match the entries in the [MarvelInputUserSettings] section of MarvelInput.ini for it to work, but this is not mentioned anywhere by those who are documenting the process.

Also, does anyone know what the "!" means in the MarvelInputUserSettings.ini file? My first guess that it is used to comment out the line is incorrect.

Edit: Ok, changes to MarvelInput.ini are removed when the game is loaded. That means that either the exe is overwriting it or the exe is reading another file and using that to alter the MarvelInput.ini file. Chances are the changes are being read from MarvelInputUserSettings.ini

I'm going to modify MarvelInputUserSettings.ini while trying to replicate the format without knowing exactly what the syntax is or what "!" means. Perhaps it means "this file is the authority on this binding"?

Edit2: Ok, made the changes to MarvelInputUserSettings.ini and it worked.

Added the Binding in two places. One with the "!" in front and the other with the "+" in front.

Loading the game added the appropriate binding to MarvelInput.ini, which means the MarvelInputUserSettings.ini is the parent and the file "in charge". Unless I'm reading other peoples' documentation incorrectly this is not mentioned and in fact behaves differently than when the original documenting was done. In any case, I have a working binding (I can hit 1 key and it will fire a skill on the second hotbar without switching bars). It should work for channeled skills too but I haven't tested yet. I use the NumPad for my hotkeys so adding 4 more hotkeys (in this case 0 through 3) will make the game immensely more enjoyable.

That's cool.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

A quick post just to outline what I did. You can follow Max's link for more complex changes. It's also where I learned to do the below.

File Name: MarvelInputUserSettings.ini

Code: Select all

!Bindings=(Name="NumPadOne",Command="SetCurrentAvatarAbilitySet 1 | PowerButtonPressed 2 | OnRelease PowerButtonReleased 2 | OnRelease SetCurrentAvatarAbilitySet 0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)

+Bindings=(Name="NumPadOne",Command="SetCurrentAvatarAbilitySet 1 | PowerButtonPressed 2 | OnRelease PowerButtonReleased 2 | OnRelease SetCurrentAvatarAbilitySet 0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)
Not sure why the lines are wrapping instead of a scroll bar appearing at the bottom, but whatever. No carriage returns between lines, I just added one for clarity here.

"Name" is the name of the key. Key names are mostly already in the files, but if you want the second thumbbutton on your mouse, just map it in game and the name will appear in the files. It's ThumbMouseButton2 btw :wink:

"Command" is what you want to happen. In this case, pressing NumPadOne switches to the second hotkeybar (counting from 0), presses the second hotkey on from the left, and on letting go of NumPadOne stops pressing hotkey2 and switches back to hotkeybar 0 (the first hotkeybar).

The rest of the line is probably not needed but it's there on other bindings so I included it just to play it safe.

When you load the game a line will be added automatically to MarvelInput.ini at the end of section [MarvelGame.MarvelInput]

Code: Select all

[MarvelGame.MarvelInput]
Bindings=(Name="NumPadOne",Command="SetCurrentAvatarAbilitySet 1 | PowerButtonPressed 2 | OnRelease PowerButtonReleased 2 | OnRelease SetCurrentAvatarAbilitySet 0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ok, Doc Doom with 2 hotbars worth of skills is freakin' insane. I'm lucky if I manage to fire each of them once before a boss dies. The sheer number of summons and DoTs and afflictions he can apply all at once is insane. Given what I've seen of the AI targeting priority, I can't imagine even being targeted, let alone hit, let alone injured, let alone killed. At least at this stage of the game.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

So I've got 6 heroes unlocked, 2 I like, 2 I think are ok, and 2 that I'm mostly meh about.

I have 697 ES.

Any suggestions on what to do with it, if anything?

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for the Omega system for noobs, that would help.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

GreenGoo wrote:So I've got 6 heroes unlocked, 2 I like, 2 I think are ok, and 2 that I'm mostly meh about.

I have 697 ES.

Any suggestions on what to do with it, if anything?

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for the Omega system for noobs, that would help.
I would use the splinters to unlock Rogue. She's the one hero that allows you try out any possible combination of play styles.

If you are looking for ideas on how to spend your Omega points, go to MarvelHeroes.info and take a look at the uploaded builds for your heroes. Most of the good ones include Omega point allocations. They are generally going to be for capped points, but they should give you an idea of what to look at in order to complement your build.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Baroquen wrote:I picked up the free Black Cat too. Then, the "Pick a Card" deal on login gave me a "90% Off G" sale. So I bought the $100 pack of G (11500?) for $10 bucks. Whee?

So picked up a couple costumes, (BOGO), though nothing noteworthy. I purchased Rogue and got Iceman for free. And bought a cheap Kamala Khan team-up, because my kids like her. Also picked up some storage as it's on sale too. All of that and I still have 8000+ G I think. Then my internet busted out and that capped my playing today.
You get 90% off purchasing G, I get 1 nanotech filament. :wink:
------------------
Thanks for the response Max. I'm going to avoid Rogue for now just because I don't want to deal with the added complexity of finding the heroes/villians and harvesting their skills for specific builds. I'm already flying by the seat of my pants on the builds for my current heroes.

I understand your recommendation, and it makes sense. I'm still not going to follow it however. :D
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

GreenGoo wrote:
Baroquen wrote:I picked up the free Black Cat too. Then, the "Pick a Card" deal on login gave me a "90% Off G" sale. So I bought the $100 pack of G (11500?) for $10 bucks. Whee?

You get 90% off purchasing G, I get 1 nanotech filament. :wink:

You got a nanotech filament?!?!?!?1
Some claim to be things they aren't.
Some claim things they don't deserve.
Some claim to know more than they ever will.
I don't claim anything, because no one would believe the truth anyways.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

An entire one!

Actually, I don't have a clue what the crafting items are worth. I think I have 15 or 20 of the Filaments.
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

GreenGoo wrote:An entire one!

Actually, I don't have a clue what the crafting items are worth. I think I have 15 or 20 of the Filaments.
I got a 5000 credit chest... i defy your brain not to hurt with that...
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

7 more of those and you can have a decent buff applied to your costume!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Had 800 ES and was bored, so I unlocked another random hero. Turns out it's Magneto. He was one of 4 heroes who hadn't leveled to 10 yet so that was sort of noteworthy.

Expecting Magneto to be somewhat awesome turned out to be a mistake. He's constantly running out of metal debris and spirit, one or the other, but even when he's not his powers don't seem to hit as hard as I'm used to at his level (21). Going to take him to 25 to unlock his synergy but then I think he'll be on the back burner for a long while.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

5 of 7 heroes at level 50 or above. Working on Magneto but man does he suck comparatively. You could take away 1/2 of Doom's skills and he'd still be better than Magneto. With Black Cat and Gambit at level 50 I have +20% special item find with synergies, so that's decent.

Nearly 900 ES so another random unlock is in the works.

Storage space is definitely an issue, if you want to hold onto every rune or relic you come across.

A quick question because I am admittedly lazy.

Where do you buy storage with ES? It is my understanding that you can buy 1 tab using in game cash (i.e. ES).
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

GreenGoo wrote:Where do you buy storage with ES? It is my understanding that you can buy 1 tab using in game cash (i.e. ES).
It's from the same ES vendor you buy the heroes from (Adam Warlock?). It costs 600 ES.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Thanks.

Sure, a tab of inventory space is worth 1.5 heroes. Totally reasonable.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

GreenGoo wrote:Working on Magneto but man does he suck comparatively.
Word is that the new-and-improved Magneto on the test server might actually be new-and-improved.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Winter Christmas Holiday Event 2016
Celebrate the Holidays with Marvel Heroes 2016’s Winter Event! Log in anytime from Tuesday December 20 2016 through January 2, 2017 for a FREE Punisher Dead Winter Team-Up and Mini Mandroid MK 7 Pet! Plus log in each day to receive an additional gift each day, check out our 14 Days of Giving schedule below.

In the spirit of the holidays, during this event you will receive a mission that will allow you to collect gifts to surprise your fellow superheroes and allies, who in turn will reward you with a present of your own!

In addition to the holiday event mission, Winter buffs will drop from any enemies defeated. Collect 5 of these buffs to receive a lootsplosion of holiday gifts for being nice this year!

Alongside this, enjoy 100% bonus XP, 50% bonus RIF & SIF, and increased Cosmic prestige leveling rate for the duration of the Winter Event!
Schedule:
  1. Dec 20 Team-Up Boost! Increase your rare Team-Up item drop rate and gain 100% Rare Item Find.
  2. Dec 21 Winter Fortune Card! Right click for a chance at a few Winter Themed exclusives plus more.
  3. Dec 22 Classic Green Doctor Doom Team-Up! Log in for a Free Classic Green Doctor Doom Team-Up!
  4. Dec 23 Holiday Mystery Box! Receive a free Holiday Mystery Box!
  5. Dec 24 Winter Wonder Boost! Log in to receive one of our most popular boosts!
  6. Dec 25 Mysterious Blue Omega Box and Mysterious Crimson Box! Log in to receive boxes that contains one of many rare Boss-specific Uniques!
  7. Dec 26 Red Holiday colored H.E.R.B.I.E.! Log in for a free Red Holiday H.E.R.B.I.E. Pet!
  8. Dec 27 Holiday Groot Team-Up! Log in for a Holiday Groot Team-up!
  9. Dec 28 Green Holiday colored H.E.R.B.I.E.! Log in for a free Green Holiday H.E.R.B.I.E. Pet!
  10. Dec 29 Festivus Pole and Snow Flurry Artifacts! Log in for a free Festivus Pole Artifact AND Snow Flurry Artifact!
  11. Dec 30 Cosmic Penta Boost! Receive a free 4 hour Cosmic Penta Boost!
  12. Dec 31 Ice Golem Pet! Close out 2016 with a free Ice Golem Pet!
  13. Jan 1 Random Hero Box! Ring in 2017 with a free Random Hero!
  14. Jan 2 Random Costume Box! Our final day brings a Random Costume!

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

1.8 gig. Pretty hefty.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Thanks for the info Max. Looks like some good stuff coming our way.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

FYI, the Winter buff lootsplosions drop some very nice stuff. :)

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Team ups aren't bound to a specific hero, is that correct?
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

team ups can be shared among all heroes... pets... arts, etc's, per specific hero only.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Team-ups and pets aren't bound, so you can re-equip them with any hero as needed.

ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Max Peck wrote:Dec 21 Winter Fortune Card! Right click for a chance at a few Winter Themed exclusives plus more.
Today's event is bugged. No winter fortune card. Lot's of folks having the issue. Hopefully they fix it.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Thanks. Safe to use the Punisher team up then.

That's a nice bonus. I wanted but probably wasn't going to get a team up for a long time.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

If you need a hand figuring out the Holiday Gift Exchange mission, crowd-sourcing to the rescue. :csmile:
Spoiler:
The gift exchange can be done only once.
Event mission info : press L to see each NPC's location.

5 each of red and green candy canes for Stan Lee, he gives a Gem of the Kursed.
5 Holiday Trees for Ben Urich, he gives a box of 100 random relics.
Full Set of "Iron Man Vs. Series" Cards for Agent Coulson, he gives a random lvl 80 legendary.
Pretzel and Ketchup for Wonder Man, he gives a Gem of the Wurst.
Sentinel Head for Professor Xavier, he gives a holobody visual.
Alex Williams' Mohawk Gel for Beast, he gives a random Vanity pet.
The All-Father's Eyepatch for Nick Fury, he gives an Iridium triple boost(2 hours).
Bloodstone Panther for Maria Hill, she gives 50 armor drives/odin marks/worldstones/protectors/seals.
Fantastic Force Field for Sue Storm, she gives 10 Mysterious Concoctions.
Doop sector portal for Heimdall, he gives a box of 5 rare runes.
200k credit chest for Sif, she gives a box of 200 odin marks.
Epic Madame Hydra medal for Abigail Brand, she gives a SHIELD agent medal.

You can buy Ketchup from Jocasta, Gel from Moondragon for 1k currency. Sentinel Head from DR vendor for 500 Merits.
Holiday daily giftbox & 5 stack of winter buffs will give you some candy canes and trees.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Thanks. I wasn't even going to bother with it, but now that you've provided a road map...

My first loot explosion resulted in multiple trips back to base to sell everything. Kept the unique helmet for Magneto.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Aside Wonder Man, the gift rewards are pretty good -- but the Gem of the Wurst is the worst (well, except for the inherent joke value).

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Got a Doc Doom team up today. I wasn't expecting another free team up. Was this a random lucky draw or did everyone get one today?

I also got a 90% off G bundles coupon, so I'll probably give them some money.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

GreenGoo wrote:Got a Doc Doom team up today. I wasn't expecting another free team up. Was this a random lucky draw or did everyone get one today?

I also got a 90% off G bundles coupon, so I'll probably give them some money.
The Doom team-up was the daily gift for today.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Cool. Not having had any teamups for over a month, this is a nice surprise.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

GreenGoo wrote:Cool. Not having had any teamups for over a month, this is a nice surprise.
You'll get another if you log in on Dec. 27th. Holiday Groot.

https://marvelheroes.com/news/news-arti ... event-2016
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

I just got Dr Strange, pleased with that.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Baroquen wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:Cool. Not having had any teamups for over a month, this is a nice surprise.
You'll get another if you log in on Dec. 27th. Holiday Groot.

https://marvelheroes.com/news/news-arti ... event-2016
Thanks! I'm making sure to log in each day even if I'm not planning on playing much.

I was toying with the idea of spending ES on a team up just before the holiday event. Now I can repurpose that ES for another random hero or 2.

I've been working on Magneto and while he's much slower than the other 5 heroes I've played into the 50's, the team up does wonders to shore up his weaknesses (which is mostly just resource constricted dps).
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I noticed a little glitch tonight with how A.R.M.O.R. intel buffs appear to be working. It seems that if you take down an intel target who is also a current quest target, you recieve the intel reward but the intel buff doesn't clear (I'm guessing there is a bug where the other quest is updated but the intel buff isn't), so you can take the target down again and collect the bounty reward a second time.