Marvel Heroes

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

DarkVulgar

Marvel Heroes

Post by DarkVulgar »

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone else was interested in the upcoming Marvel Heroes online game.

https://marvelheroes.com/game-info
DarkVulgar

Re: Marvel Heroes

Post by DarkVulgar »

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I was pretty excited till RPS posted a scathing preview: link. Hopefully they can polish it up.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

One exciting thing from that linked preview was a link to an article saying SS2 was coming to GoG tomorrow
DarkVulgar

Post by DarkVulgar »

Yeah that preview sounds like it was an early build. Not sure why his biggest gripe was up to date costumes/storylines. I can say i'm in beta and have been enjoying myself without breaking the NDA.
DarkVulgar

Post by DarkVulgar »

Release date is June 4 and pvp at launch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... YvAdInjgkA
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Been watching videos tonight and reading up. ill try it since it's free...Why not?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

To all my OO friends they gave me a key to share with all who want to try it. They are having a special closed beta weekend. All you need is an account and this key of mine.

So get to marvelheroes.com and sign up. Then go to profile and choose redeem key... PLAYMH4-19 thats your key. join me for a weekend and see what ya think. Good luck peeps.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Living Laser was kicking my arse all over that room :)

Storm 1 Green Goblin 0 ....suck it you loser.
Arkon

Post by Arkon »

Code redeemed. Thanks
You can't even tell me you'd be this tightly wound if you were receiving Treasure Type O regularly. - OOTS Strip 408
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Yeah, just got home and found this offer in my email. Downloading the client and will be taking a look. I believe I ordered a mid-level heroes package, so i'll play it a decent amount when it gets released. We'll see how well it plays before I dedicate more time or sink more money into it.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Much thanks for the key! Anyone know where to get info on character powers/abilities? Like to see some info before dropping 2000 coins on a single character. :D
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Well, I don't think it's as bad as some of the reviews have been, but I see what they're talking about. It seems to be lacking some of the bells and whistles of some games like that. Even some Marvel games where there's always hidden things to unlock and/or find. There's lots of destructible items but I've never found anything interesting in them. The environments seems a little drab, but sometimes that's appropriate based on the locale, like Hell's Kitchen.

It feels like the console Ultimate Alliance games, but with MMO dressings. I like the skill trees, and equipment and stuff. I also liked what seemed like public missions, and I ran into a unusual boss (that I didn't recognize) to take down. I like all the characters, and enjoyed some of the funny lines NPCs had.

So it's a mixed bag for me, but I can see myself playing it. Hopefully, they continue to build in the little details that make the game special, rather than building everything through the cash shop.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I'm having a good amount of fun with it. I feel like it's Diablo in the Marvel universe. You don't have many hero choices in the beta weekend but I picked Storm and she is a fun gal to play. In the full closed beta you get access to many more characters. Wish I could get into the full beta.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

You do get 2000 points with which you can unlock other heroes. I started with Daredevil and used the free pionts to unlock Ms. Marvel. I also just had a Deadpool unlock drop as loot.

Overall I like the game but can't see spending money on it.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Yeah, I definitely get the Diablo in the Marvel Universe feel too. Especially with waves and waves of mindless mobs.

I saw Madmarcus running around. Figured it another mad marcus, but I guess not. :)

I picked Hawkeye initially, but unlocked the Thing because I like brute warrior types in games like this. Unfortunately, I found it boring after another short stint with him.

Biggest annoyance with the game at the moment is that I keep wandering around on these maps, and ending up taking unintended short-cuts through the story missions. I twice missed a mission spot on the Raft mission (second time through was awkwardness with Waypoints). And then in the Hell's Kitchen map, I ended up skipping parts of the chapter, before beating the boss and ending up in the next chapter. Now, I don't want a straight linear game, obviously, but I don't remember having plot problems like this in other diablo-types. And with the plot/missions being so light anyway, I actually enjoy seeing the scripted parts. /shrug

One positive play session, one not-so-great second session. We'll see if I get back to it tonight/tomorrow.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I started with Storm and Im ready to try someone else. Trouble is I only have enough G to buy one other character. Im thinking of Wolverine or Deadpool or Ironman...with Deadpool being my favorite so far to try. But people in game are telling me to use my G to buy the extra rare drop ability and go kill bosses over and over in the town and get costumes and other characters that drop that way. trouble there is I can only play today and tomorrow before my time is up and if I use any of the G on something like that then I lack enough to outright by a 2nd character to play. So Id have to hope someone dropped and then I wouldn't have control on who.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I've now got time in with Daredevil and Ms. Marvel. Daredevil feels weak. I'm not convinced he really is though; I can tear through AIM hordes with the big guys. His jump attack is nice as a combo of movement and ranged (sort of) attack. Ms. Marvel has become my main character. I hated using a ranged class/build in PoE because I'd forget to switch the ranged normal shot to the rmb. Ms. Marvel suits my style; she's tough enough to do some melee but with the right equipment she's deadly with a photon beam. And the photon beam is naturally on rmb so I never have to go through an awkward run towards the enemy just because my aim was off.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im getting a Crusader vibe now too.

I almost choose Ms Marvel for the 2nd character!! Sounds fun. Maybe she will drop and I can give her a go.

I picked Deadpool. SO glad I did. He is a mean badass with the mouth of Robin Williams...minus the cussing haha. he is SO funny! I am a bit tired of the 18-24 demographic line but other than that he is now my main. He dual wields pistols but his main attack is dual katanas. He heals so fast that the only time I get half my health gone is in boss fights. He can stand in a group of 7 and heal faster than they can kill. Im lvl 4 or 5 now.

I sliced a guy up and Deadpool says "Got your nose!" and then when I lvl he sometimes says like "Oh great time to break out the math" hahaha. I've heard him mention getting no experience and such too..

Just a great character.
Arkon

Post by Arkon »

I played a bit this morning, and for me personally this feels just utterly horrid. I took Storm for my starting character, and on the opening/tutorial mission, it just entailed moving until a guy showed up and holding down my left mouse button on him until he died. I destroyed all sorts of things on the map with my wind gust power, but for what I don't know. I also don't mind boundaries...but really if you are going to prevent me from walking somewhere, don't do it with a cable on the ground that a 2 year old could step over. The opening boss fights were pathetic, I just stood there holding down my lighting bolt attack and they barely damaged me, without moving an inch.

I understand that I was only in the tutorial, but with a F2P game, it needs to grab me fast, and this one leaves me cold and wishing I hadn't wasted the bandwidth to download it.
You can't even tell me you'd be this tightly wound if you were receiving Treasure Type O regularly. - OOTS Strip 408
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

You have a really valid point. The tutorial is horribly linear. After leveling up a few times I found it got better; I actually had to think a little about powers, items, and their interactions. Like most (all?) arpgs it only shines when facing masses of mobs or when there are many heroes fighting one boss (Venom comes to mind). I'm liking it more than PoE right now because everything is faster. I have enough time to play with new toys after each level up but I don't have to grind through loads of +10 Dex levels.

One oddity. With Daredevil I went through the subway breaking open tons of objects and getting some decent loot. I took Ms. Marvel through the same area to get xp's and found little to no random loot in destructible items. I don't know if it built into repeating content or just chance.

As a free arpg it scratches my loot itch while it also nods to my Marvel fandom. I'll take that and play but so far I haven't seen a compeling reason to support their efforts beyond a token amount when it ever goes out of beta.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I found nothing with Storm..my first character. But in the tutorial alone with Deadpool I found purple guns and purple katanas. Then the next area after that I got purple armor.
DarkVulgar

Post by DarkVulgar »

Glad to see others are enjoying the beta. They just dropped a big patch a week or two ago and the game is shaping up nicely IMHO. Still some bugs they need to stomp out and power tree adjusting.

I have to be careful on what I say cause it is still under NDA.

Deadpool is a fun toon to play and I "believe" he is only healer in the game with his team buff.

Storm/Scarlet Witch are great on groups of mobs. Harder on some bosses.

Thor is still OP as damge/tank and I expect a nerf before launch. Haven't tried the Hulk/Thing/Colossus

Spiderman was blah when I tried him but they just redid his power tree.

Ms Marvel seems like a nice toon to play as was Iron Man.

Jean Grey I played but couldn't really get into her. The base toon seemed like it was 2 attacks but phoenix form was cool.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I'm just going to tack on one more reply and then I'll fall silent due to the NDA (yes, I've probably crossed the line a little above). I don't want to give the wrong impression when I say that I'm not likely to support them with my money. I"m generally a cheapskate when it comes to games. I'm part of the population that doesn't see much reason to spend money on cosmetic things in games Thus a F2P game like PoE, Marvel Hereos, or the current incarnation of TSW will always find it hard to get money from me.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im the same way. To me free should be free. I play as well as I can without spending money. I refuse to be nickle and dimed in games.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Daehawk wrote:Im the same way. To me free should be free. I play as well as I can without spending money. I refuse to be nickle and dimed in games.
I'm unsure how anyone can expect the game makers to actually earn a living wage. I mean the client is free in Path of Exile for example and most of the game is free so they must just be doing it as a hobby so you can have some fun at their expense.

I think the name Free 2 Play needs te be changed, pay as you play or something else would be better because we cannot expect something for nothing in this type of market.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If they weren't making money then they'd charge. I am 100% they don't do it out of the kindness of their hearts.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Daehawk, thanks for the entry to the beta. It was a fun weekend.

As far as free to play I'm somewhat conflicted. I don't think that game developers make anything approaching the size and scope of PoE or Marvel Heroes without knowing the expected returns.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You're welcome. I was SO disappointed this morning when I logged out to reboot only to see the message thanking me for participating and I could not get back in :(
Haavok1

Post by Haavok1 »

I really did not like how they incorporated other characters. They want me to buy other heroes but anytime I want to switch I have talk to a guy who ports me back to beginning quests and you lose progress on the hero before. Then I had quest givers all over for each toon. When I went back to my main shows quest you have already done, seemed confusing and not multiple toon friendly
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Haavok1 wrote:I really did not like how they incorporated other characters. They want me to buy other heroes but anytime I want to switch I have talk to a guy who ports me back to beginning quests and you lose progress on the hero before. Then I had quest givers all over for each toon. When I went back to my main shows quest you have already done, seemed confusing and not multiple toon friendly
Ok, I know I said I was going to be quiet about game play but I think you missed the roster button in the lower right. From there you can switch to a different character without any loss of progress. I played Daredevil up to the Docks. At that point I switched to Ms. Marvel. With her I used the waypoints to go back and play the earlier maps. Some of the story missions weren't reset so I didn't get the full experience (didn't seem to be able to get to the nightclub district) but I fought through the Raft and Hell's Kitchen (including the subway). I think the only reason you really need to reset is if you want some of the story related medals (Doc Oc for example).
Haavok1

Post by Haavok1 »

used the roster button, but unless you have the npc reset than none of the bosses are there. Probably just something that annoys me. Would like each hero to be an individual game,story etc. That way I can level multiples up without crossing different quests or wiping stuff.
Haavok1

Post by Haavok1 »

Daehawk, not sure why you can't get in. I am still playing right now, have 2 hours left
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Violation of the NDA?

When I tried another hero I fought Living Laser and Green Goblin again. It would be nice to see some content that differs depending on the hero chosen but oh well.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Whenever I was logged in I'd send chat begging the devs to let me stay hehehehe...didn't help.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Didn't get back to the game. Since I already bought a package, will definitely be checking again on release, and see how things have changed.

F2P is a mixed bag to me. If I like a game, and am enjoying the time I'm playing it, I'll usually plunk down some money to support it. I have no problem with that, and have even donated a couple times when there weren't cash shops. That said, when a game is so restricted because of the cash shops (i.e. Sony's MMOs and some others) it's a turn off for me. So I appreciate those devs who play on the generous side of F2P, and those are the games I usually end up voluntarily paying some for.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I just went to put some feedback about my experiences but I seem to have been locked out of the forums. My account still exists and I don't get the warning that the forum is only for beta testers but I can't see or do anything.
DarkVulgar

Post by DarkVulgar »

I'll try to answer some questions you guys have....and i'm probably way past the NDA line with my post.
I think the only reason you really need to reset is if you want some of the story related medals (Doc Oc for example).
Nope. You get medals ANY time you kill a boss. Some medals might have better stats the next time around. If not you can save them for alts or level up the gear vendor (Alt-right click) so they offer more gear. Who knows if it will stay that way for launch. There is a cool down on dungeons which I *believe* is an hour. That cool down isn't like WoWs where it locks you out and tells you why. MHs cooldown is the boss and mobs might not be up.

They want me to buy other heroes but anytime I want to switch I have talk to a guy who ports me back to beginning quests and you lose progress on the hero before.
Ok.....That NPC is just there in case you want to reset the storyline. You don't have to reset the storyline if you don't want to...they are just giving people the option cause it was something the beta people asked for. Madmarcus gave a great idea on switching alts. When switching heroes you keep any waypoint you had found, so just skip a zone or two. If you run with friends or a group to protect you the XP will flow and you'll be the same level in no time. Plus get gear that's level appropriate. If solo just stay close to another group thats running around and AOE. Again, who knows if it will be that way at launch.

Daehawk, sorry you had that problem. Hints have been dropped that the NDA and closed beta will be over soon.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

That crafter guy you can donate to....I fonated half a bank of elements and at least 2 full banks worth of items like armor and weapons...i never saw anything change or be offered.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I liked Marvel Heroes well enough to find out if there was additional closed beta time; turned out to be tonight. Yet I am given the unhelpful message that the servers are offline (if I try to log in anyway I get an incorrect email or password error) even though their Facebook claims its running. Overall its rather souring me on the game especially when combined with leaving my site account active yet locking me out of the forum. Even an automated email would have been fine (thanks for participating type). I have no problem with a time limited beta key; only with the idea of not giving any feedback in the forums, launcher or login screen that an expired beta key was the reason for the issues.

Tl;dr poor customer service