Marvel Heroes

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Madmarcus

Re: Marvel Heroes

Post by Madmarcus »

Are the purple crates (worldcrates I think) a permanent thing or just an end of year promotion? I rather liked the loot in the game 18 months ago when I last played but now it seems that the only things worth picking up are those crates and eternity splinters. Well, I'll also pick up uniques, yellows and uru items but I'm not sure there is any reason to with the crates giving items.

Also, how do you get legendary items? I never exchanged for one even though it would make sense.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Madmarcus wrote:Are the purple crates (worldcrates I think) a permanent thing or just an end of year promotion? I rather liked the loot in the game 18 months ago when I last played but now it seems that the only things worth picking up are those crates and eternity splinters. Well, I'll also pick up uniques, yellows and uru items but I'm not sure there is any reason to with the crates giving items.

Also, how do you get legendary items? I never exchanged for one even though it would make sense.
The crates are part of the Cosmic Chaos event that's running concurrently with the Christmas event. As for the rest of the gear loot that drops, you can always use that as pet food or to level up the crafter/enchanter/vendors.

The main place to buy legendaries is the legendary vendor in Odin's Palace. They cost 300 Odin marks and can be used by any character (L1+). Once you are at L60, you can get better legendaries (they have better bonuses and cost 1k Odin marks) from the GLF quartermaster in Hammer Bay after you level it up by running GLF daily/weekly influence missions (which also pay out small hero/protector commendation rewards). During certain events, you can also get legendaries in loot drops; for example, I've had a couple drop in the Christmas Tree megalootsplosions during the Xmas event.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

GreenGoo wrote:You can donate everything purple and below and replace it all in 10 minutes of play.

I donate all yellows too, and and any uniques I can't use in the next 3 levels.

There is almost no reason to keep gear you can't immediately use because you'll find more gear in an hour of play than you can carry.
When I am leveling/gearing someone I'll wait till I have 4 or 5 of that unique and exchange it... but otherwise yupyup... a lot of Pet bait.
Some claim to be things they aren't.
Some claim things they don't deserve.
Some claim to know more than they ever will.
I don't claim anything, because no one would believe the truth anyways.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

The one inventory type that I'm unsure of is artifacts. Any reason to keep them? You can't "pet food" them, and I don't think there's any crafting use for them, correct? So I really need to wade through those and dump them.

Other than that, I've just about got a handle on my inventory issues. I was surprised when I prestiged (Taskmaster) for the first time, and all of the decent 60 gear I had accumulated for him was then (temporarily) useless. Still haven't gotten him back to 60.

Tao>> I love that equipment/BiS spreadsheet link you shared. Thanks!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Baroquen wrote:The one inventory type that I'm unsure of is artifacts. Any reason to keep them? You can't "pet food" them, and I don't think there's any crafting use for them, correct? So I really need to wade through those and dump them.

Other than that, I've just about got a handle on my inventory issues. I was surprised when I prestiged (Taskmaster) for the first time, and all of the decent 60 gear I had accumulated for him was then (temporarily) useless. Still haven't gotten him back to 60.

Tao>> I love that equipment/BiS spreadsheet link you shared. Thanks!
If you go back to that spreadsheet, there is a tab for artifacts. You could just dump the ones flagged as useless and keep/trade the ones flagged as BiS.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Max Peck wrote: If you go back to that spreadsheet, there is a tab for artifacts. You could just dump the ones flagged as useless and keep/trade the ones flagged as BiS.
Duh. Don't know how I missed that. Thanks Max!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Happy Random Hero Day!

Semaj

Post by Semaj »

My one in 25 chance of getting a hero I needed missed, damn the man :)
Some claim to be things they aren't.
Some claim things they don't deserve.
Some claim to know more than they ever will.
I don't claim anything, because no one would believe the truth anyways.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Why am I back playing this game I keep thinking. And then there is a holiday tree explosion and I'm sucked back in to the hunt for loot.

I picked up Nova from the free random box and Vision from actual cash (even though I have Jean Gray and Black Widow who have never been used from older random boxes). I have Mon off so I might still manage to get a bunch of heroes to 50 to unlock their second bonus.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Semaj wrote:My one in 25 chance of getting a hero I needed missed, damn the man :)
Coincidentally, I had about a 1 in 25 chance of getting a hero I didn't need (Lady Deadpool and Jean Grey have maxed-out ultimates). The RNG smiled upon me and gave me a Thor upgrade.

Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I have more heroes than not. So my odds weren't good. I ended up with a Squirrel Girl power token. So yeah, that was a major miss.

Looking forward to the costume box tomorrow. I don't have many of those at all.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Baroquen wrote:I have more heroes than not. So my odds weren't good. I ended up with a Squirrel Girl power token. So yeah, that was a major miss.

Looking forward to the costume box tomorrow. I don't have many of those at all.
Anything I got was going to be a power-up, but there was a small chance that it would be an unusable power-up. :)

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Black Widow. :?

Not a fan, but whatever. Now I've got enough unlocked heroes for full synergy settings 10/10. Well, when I get around to leveling her I guess.

Loki is rocking it. It's a little crazy compared to a lot of my other heroes.

edit: And ding, Loki hits 60 at the start of Chapter 5.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

I got Magneto - didn't have him so that's cool. :)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I sort of crapped out on the free costume. I got a "Daredevil's Marvel Daredevil" (from the Netflix show, I think). Not bad looking, but The Man Without Fear® isn't one of my go-to heroes.

Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Hawkeye costume, dont have him, dont plan on having him either.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Mr. Fantastic Marvel Now! costume.

Need a bigger rollyeye emoticon.

Are these tradeable? Does anyone want it? Maybe 1/2 price or something?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I don't believe that costumes are tradable. Generally, people dispose of unwanted ones by "blending" them with the crafter. For any 3 unwanted costumes + 200k credits + 2 unstable molecules, you get 1 random costume. Folks that play the costume lotto will generally prestige a character several times to get the free basic costumes, then run them through the blender and hope to get something good (i.e. a costume they actually like, an enhanced costume, whatever floats their boat).

For now, I'd just hold on to it unless you absolutely can't spare the storage slot. Apparently at some point the devs want to implement a "costume closet" that will hold all the costumes for all your heroes, instead of treating them as items in normal storage. However, when/if that happens, it sounds like the free basic costumes you currently get from prestiging will go away.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Thanks for the info.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Jean Grey All New X Men costume. I have her although I have never played her. I was never a big X-fan.

I spent today leveling Cable and Hulk for synergies. It's fairly painless but I'm sick of the Docks now.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Madmarcus wrote:Jean Grey All New X Men costume. I have her although I have never played her. I was never a big X-fan.

I spent today leveling Cable and Hulk for synergies. It's fairly painless but I'm sick of the Docks now.
Get to level 20 (may not even need to be that high anymore) which you can do fairly quickly then cruise Midtown wiping out the non-boss encounters. I find this to be the fastest way to level solo. Don't bother with the various bosses (Black Cat, Mole Man, Man-Ape etc.) they take way to long to kill for not enough reward. Focus on the big groups of elites and even non-elites. You can also run around in Industry city if you get tired of Midtown, although I like Midtown better. Once you have enough levels under your belt you can also do Hightown. Running the legendary quests is decent XP as well although not nearly as fast as the patrol zones but the trade off is you get Odin marks.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I mostly like the story for at least the initial leveling. Obviously with the holiday boost it was faster than normal but I like the XP and skill point bonuses. The only problem I have is that the Jersey Docks just seem like a maze. None of the other levels seem as bad but I never remember where to go to find the AIM base, Taskmaster, and the entrance to the Hood's ship. So I spend a lot of time wandering.

I didn't quite get Vision to 60 over the long weekend (bought on Sat.). He's always been a favorite of mine and he works well in game so I don't mind taking a little longer to go from 56 to 60 in Midtown.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

You can level doing the story if you like, but if you really just want the rewards and not to do the full story for every character, just do it once. Then there are guides that tell you what quests to do for which rewards. You just jump straight to the area (in story mode), do the quest and turn it in. Taskmaster is one of the rewards, take portal to his ship, then you do need to exit his ship as the quest guy is right outside. Turn it in, you get the special reward.

Legendary quests - these come in 3 flavors - do something in midtown/Industry City Patrol (ICP) (kill x # of y type mobs or complete x events), do something story mode or so something in the event mode (the middle section where you just jump to specific places to kill the boss and "win"). You can reroll any quest you don't like (this is a place where credits are handy) - if you want efficiency, reroll story mode if you aren't going to there for something already anyway. They take longer than the other quests in general.

Midtown/ICP boss killing - Monday is Midtown madness (every Monday) - all bosses in Midtown (and only Midtown) drop a Midtown madness loot chest full of crap. When it's the Odin's chest event week (they cycle events, think 4ish events, so every 4th week), when Odin's chest is in Midtown (or ICP - it will be one or the other, don't think it's both at the same time), you get Odin's chest (loot explosion) for killing bosses. If you want loot for something (need gear for current character, feed crafter/pet, need credits...) - stop to kill the bosses. These will usually have significant XP bubbles in the chests as well so not so inefficient to kill. And you usually won't be soloing the bosses at these times, more people come specifically to hit the bosses for the bonus loot.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Additional random trivia: Hightown Patrol is particularly good for gearing up, since you get a guaranteed unique item in the loot drop from every event (which have a 1-minute cooldown timer) and every non-event supervillain. While the unique is random, there is a strong bias to hero-specific uniques for your current hero. In addition to gearing up, this is also useful for raising cash and collecting relics, since it increases your chance for collecting sets of duplicate uniques that can be used to craft credit chests and relic stacks.

Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Just spent an hour on Iron Man, got him to 30 using a few boosts, don't like him really. Going to try someone else.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It turns out that there's an achievement for fully unlocking the abilities on 25 cybernetic pets. The reward is just what I needed -- another pet. :)

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

That's...A lot of loot to vacuum.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Ayup, but it goes quickly if you run Cosmic Patrols. The boss loot drops there are very generous (especially Cosmic Midtown Madness Mondays).

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The End Times are nigh upon us!

Ahoy-hoy everyone,

It's been quite the ride since we announced the Biggest Game Systems Update Ever back in September of last year. We laid out the plans for updates coming to... With many Test Center iterations, feedback received, and finger's crossed... we are excited to let you know that the Biggest Update Ever is set to launch on Thursday(1/19) of this week. Now as most of you know, things can change and with the literally Biggest Update Ever for Marvel Heroes launching... this could get pushed to a further date. We are also working on building patch notes for this massive update so stay tuned.

We can't thank you guys & gals enough for all the time and feedback you have given us as we take the next step for Marvel Heroes!

Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Does anyone know when the update is supposed to go live? I think this is my game for tonight.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

No idea.

I've found myself simply logging in for the daily reward and logging out again for almost a week now.

I'm wondering if I'm ever going to spend my G.

There are just other games I want to play more than this right now.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The servers just went down for the update at 1500 EST, with an estimated downtime of (at least) 4 hours. The client patch isn't too bad, just 8.8G.

My plan is to prestige one of my heroes (probably Jean Grey, Scarlet Witch or Lady Deadpool) and play through the story mode at least once from level 1 in order to get accustomed to the new systems. After that comes the task of going through the other 58 heroes and figuring out a good build for each of them.

Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

GreenGoo wrote:
There are just other games I want to play more than this right now.
I feel like often regarding MH. But it's also fun to head back in for an event and steamroll enemies, or try a new hero. For me, it's a great "drop in" game.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The servers are back up. The brave new world awaits. :)

And a metric shit-ton of loot items. Inventory juggling ahoy!

Heads-up #1: They've changed how costume cores work. They're now items that are directly equipped by your hero (in the slot immediately to the right of the costume slot). Your old costume cores have been detached from your costumes and converted to the appropriate new item type with all your existing affixes in place, and will be bound to the appropriate hero. Depending on how full your inventory/stashes are, you will either find them in inventory, in a general stash or in the "delivery box" overflow inventory. It looks like any visual effect that you had on the costume should now be applied to the core item thingie (whatever it's called) rather than the costume itself.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Steam is telling me 8.8 gigs? Guess I'm not getting my daily today.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Update 2.0 patch notes.

I'm surprised that they stayed with Marvel Heroes 2016 instead of iterating to 2017 with this update.

Tao

Post by Tao »

Have to say so far not a huge fan of some of the changes. The loss of unlimited dash/teleport is annoying but so far not terrible, the reduced movement speed on the other hand feels awful at the moment. The big one for me is the removal of the extra action bars. I play pretty much all my favorite heroes with 2 action bars and I am very much not liking this changes. The traits are an interesting change and seems okay and some of the item changes are okay, have not gone through the Infinity System yet. Plan to put some more time in this weekend.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The servers were so laggy this morning that I couldn't really get much playtime in, and last night was mostly a matter of juggling inventory. From what I did see last night, I'm not a big fan of the mobility changes either. They've essentially made all dash/teleport powers exactly the same, with cosmetic differences. They all let you move exactly the same distance at exactly the same speed, and have 3 charges that are on a 3s cooldown/recharge timer, but the visuals vary from one hero to another. On the other hand, these rules don't seem to apply to mobs. I ran the cosmic Kingpin's Tower terminal a couple of times last night, and Kingpin was virtually spamming his charge attack (which is a one-shot kill if it hits you) throughout the boss fight. If anything, I needed to be more mobile than before, not less, to fight him effectively.

Cosmic patrol mobs seem to be a lot tougher overall relative to player power levels, especially the bosses. For the first time in forever, I saw cosmic midtown patrol events failing because a small group of heroes couldn't kill the event bosses before the timer ran down. Hopefully that reflects the lag issues, which should be fixed in short order, and not that the balance is completely out of whack.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Downloaded last night so I didn't get a chance to play yet.

If the inventory juggling is significant, I may just log out. I don't enjoy games that force you to manage inventory while restricting the amount of space you get, even if it's a proven way to generate revenue.

We'll see.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

GreenGoo wrote:Downloaded last night so I didn't get a chance to play yet.

If the inventory juggling is significant, I may just log out. I don't enjoy games that force you to manage inventory while restricting the amount of space you get, even if it's a proven way to generate revenue.

We'll see.
The inventory issue is a one-off side effect of the update. They've revamped the rewards for the story missions, and gave out loot boxes containing artifacts (that seem to be selected from a pool of ones that are useful for the hero that opens the box) for the ones already completed. Additionally, they seem to have revamped some of the daily login rewards and gave out the new ones that have already been earned. Lastly, the conversion from costume cores to catalysts means that any costume cores/costume affixes you had will be split off from your costumes and given to you as a catalyst that is bound to the appropriate hero with all of the affixes from the old core and costume affixes. All of this stuff will be put into your inventory first (including team-up inventory), then into your available stash space and then any overflow goes into the delivery box gui. The most annoying thing is that the deluge of mission reward loot boxes pushed the contents of my team-up inventory into my open stash space, so at first glance it appeared that a lot of stuff had gone missing, but it was just moved.

Part of the issue for me was that I have 59 level 60 heroes, so that was a lot of catalysts to sort through* and re-equip (or store, in the cases where I had multiple costumes with affixes) once I dug myself out from under the pile of new artifacts (which you can just sell if you don't want to sort through them). Once I got everything sorted out, I actually ended up with more free stash space than before the update because I also dumped a lot of my duplicate any-hero uniques now that we can't exchange them for relics/uniques/credit chests. I'm holding on to one or two of each, because hoarder, but for practical purposes I don't need to keep them given that almost all of my heroes have a full set of uniques optimized for my end-game builds.

I'm not hit too badly by the single power bar, given that I'm lazy and most of my builds only used a single bar anyway, aside from a secondary bar that swapped in a basic attack to use as a resource builder. I'm working my way through the menagerie one hero at a time, and so far I'm able to replicate something close to, if not identical, to my pre-update builds, and have been using the Cosmic Trial (which is now much easier to complete) to test out the builds. If/when I get tired of that, I'll get back to the plan for doing at least one prestige run through the revamped story mode.

* Pro-tip (that took me a long time to notice): If you open your hero roster and character/inventory windows, you can select any hero and the roster and manage their equipped gear in the inventory window without needing to switch between active heroes. It's a *yuge* time-saver for things like this. :)