Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag

Post by Daehawk »

New to me. haven't even tried the last one.

Video

Info
Black Flag appears to be a hybrid of the series' more charismatic early-Ezio era set within a truly open world of land and sea, on a scale reminiscent of The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker. Gone are the boundaries marking ground and ship-based missions. The transition from one to the other is "seamless", Ubisoft promised, with the "reckless and charismatic" Edward Kenway able to jump onto his ship, sail off with his crew, board another vessel, plunder their booty and pull back into harbour for a spot of grog at the local tavern - all in the same huge map.
Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Sepiche

Re: Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag

Post by Sepiche »

Well apparently they heard my pleas to make a game based around the naval game from AC3. :P

I'm sure they'll screw up a lot of the small details along the way, but on the surface that sounds like a great game.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Is it me or is that Col Tigh voicing BlackBeard?
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

Daehawk wrote:Is it me or is that Col Tigh voicing BlackBeard?

It's definitely close!
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
stessier

Post by stessier »

Careful of running afoul of PETA for the whaling portion of the game.

Leave it to PETA to make me feel good about a Ubisoft press release.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I'd like to see a cage match between PETA and Westboro Baptist ......2 idiots go in , none come out.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

New video. from E3 Looks sweet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgEckOCOt_c" target="_blank
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I just picked up AC3 during this STeam sale and so far Im still on the boat headed to America. But this has REALLY made me crave BF already. From the videos and now being on a boat in the latest Assassins Creed game its just drawing me to be a pirate lol. I cant wait. I hope,....but I doubt...that AC3 has more sea stuff in it. So cool.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Can some one PLEASE tell me what that key is that looks like an upside down line with a mark on each end? Its the one you are supposed to hold to brace for rogue waves and to board ships and pick up loot from the water. I cant figure which that is.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I use an Xbox controller and I am pretty sure it's the X button which is the same as I use to attack in melee (pretty sure anyway... My memory might be wrong). So, try your attack key
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

It turned out to be spacebar of all keys.

I also wish I could stay with my ship view. If I go too far forward I get a wide out view and too far back I let go of the wheel. Both annoy me.

Nassau must have a lot of underground stuff. ive been to multiple places where a chest should be and hear it but dont find it anywhere around or above me. So must be tunnels or something here...caves perhaps.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

There is an underground area around the center of town in Nassau. It's not super extensive, but it is there.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I've got over 40 hours in on the XB1 version and still only 75%. Fantastic game. I'm going to try to shoot for 100% collectibles, upgrades, missions, etc. so I could see myself easily putting in another 20 hours.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

YellowKing wrote:I've got over 40 hours in on the XB1 version and still only 75%. Fantastic game. I'm going to try to shoot for 100% collectibles, upgrades, missions, etc. so I could see myself easily putting in another 20 hours.
45 hours and something like 87%. I think I have less than 30 uncharted collectibles left. After that there are 3 legendary ships left to take down (2 of which are known to be a bitch because I tried in my fully upgraded Jackdaw and failed - one of them I know I can beat if I work a little harder... need to use the guns on both sides!) and finishing up the story. I am missing one treasure map, but I am plowing through the rest of the fleet missions with my full fleet of 15 ships, about 10 of which are men of war (man of wars?). I am pretty sure the last treasure map is a reward from those missions. I finally got a white whale this weekend. It was only my second sighting in 45 hours of play. The first time I didn't have any upgrades and didn't stand a chance.

I have never 100%ed an AC game, but this game makes me want to do it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

I've never played any of the Assassin's Creed games but the addition of naval combat really intrigues me. Is the game easy to play with a mouse and keyboard or should I try the XBox 360 version?
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I personally think it's quite natural to play with mouse and keyboard, but I'm hideously clumsy with a controller so my opinion is suspect.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The game is designed for a controller. When I play the AC games on PC I bring my xbox controller with me.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Wow am I glad I picked this game up. I have avoided ac games because I find them repetitive and rushed but wow... This game is my favorite game since xcom. I really am loving it. The open waters, the ship battles, all around just a great game. There is plenty of variety and challenge. I picked it up begrudgingly last week when looking for a new game after finishing dead rising 3 (another fantastic game) and I am glad I did. I can't wait to sit down and play it as often possible and I don't want to quit when I get a chance. There is always that moment when I am about to quit where I see one more ship or caravan I decide I want to sack. I love taking the challenge of bigger and bigger ships etc. And the exploring I'd enjoyable too. Lots of variety lots of fun.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Amazon had this for $30 for the Xbox on Monday so I snapped it up. I need to spend a lot more time figuring out the game...right now I'm in Havana, and I can't quite figure out what I'm supposed to be doing. I know that there is a big "go here" marker to continue the main quest, but I need to really get a better handle on the controls, so I thought I would wander around Havana for a while, trying to find some of the stuff on the map.

This is my first AC game, and I have to admit I was a bit taken aback by the sudden shift to a futuristic setting...
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im slightly stuck. I have a mission to assassinate a guy who is on a ship. I can see his icon through a small island so I swing around it to take him out and run smack int oa 23 gun frigate protecting him. Out of 4 tries ive only once got that ship down enough to board it. Then theres a lot of crew on one of them haha. I almost had it when I fell over dead. Never gotten that close again. May need to go fishing and take a few smaller ships first so I can upgrade a little more. Ive bought new cannon, new hull, and some mortars.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

hentzau wrote:Amazon had this for $30 for the Xbox on Monday so I snapped it up. I need to spend a lot more time figuring out the game...right now I'm in Havana, and I can't quite figure out what I'm supposed to be doing. I know that there is a big "go here" marker to continue the main quest, but I need to really get a better handle on the controls, so I thought I would wander around Havana for a while, trying to find some of the stuff on the map.

This is my first AC game, and I have to admit I was a bit taken aback by the sudden shift to a futuristic setting...
Yeah, I think I started AC back with one of the AC 2 games (maybe the middle one) and the whole reliving someone's memory thing I didn't expect. Eh, whatever excuse they come up with for me to be a pirate I'm ok with :)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The most important thing is don't sweat it, whatever it is. There is nothing wrong with killing everyone, everywhere. It's a good way to practice your combat skills and those are key, more so in this game than previous games. There is nothing stealthy about ship to ship battles.

It's often quicker and easier to kill with counterattacks. There are two enemy types that will be untouchable in normal combat. Break Defense works, smoke bombs work, assassination works.
Air assassinations are awesome.
With each story mission there are a couple bonus objectives to get 100% synch. It's nice for an extra challenge, but completing the misison is more important.
Eavesdropping is probably the hardest part of the game. Use groups of people for cover, walking, standing, sitting, you can blend in with any of them.
Don't activate eagle vision from a hiding place... he likes to jump out of the hiding place when you do that.
There are a million collectibles and many of them are just for the sake of collecting.
When on a mission kill from tall grass or hiding spots to avoid leaving bodies in the open and raising suspicion.

There's a bunch of stuff that is gated by the storyline. It is a pretty open world but it is more open when you get further in the story. Money is tight early on but that goes away when you start your pirating ways. :twisted:

Just a few things that I think might be useful to know as a first time AC player. In the previous games reckless killing in the open world was generally a bad idea but in this one it's not a big deal.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

This is onsale for $30 at Amazon right now.
If you have one of the Editors Choice $5 coupons, it will work, bringing it down to $25.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

You can also use the swivel cannon to clear out the deck a lot before boarding.

Also in terms of Havana, it starts of a little show (imo). You have to play a little while to get your own ship but that is when the game really becomes fun.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Once you get to sea its a totally different game. Im ignoring the main quest a lot . i So enjoy just going out and fishing for shark and taking over small ships right now. this is the game I wanted 8 years ago. A full sea sim with crew on the deck and boarding...its my perfect sailing game for pirating. I LOVE this game.

Question....I hit F12 and take a lot of pics. The Uplay window pops up saying I took a pic even....but I cant find them. This is not through STEAM this is the Uplay launcher. Where are my pics? I want to post some of them here.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Money gets a lot easier when you capture a few ships and use them for a trade fleet. This is especially true since you can install the AC4 app on a tablet and continue the trade stuff outside of in-game time. Plus, if you post your Uplay ID and friend the other players, we can accelerate your missions.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Strange enough I found the screenshot folder in my temp dir. Ive since moved it...ugh.

Here are some of mine. It can get REALLY foggy out there on the sea. I ran aground today at full speed.

Me headed out for a night of fishing.
Enlarge Image

Me(Ive decided to be the crimson corsair), Blackbeard, and Thatch
Enlarge Image

Sampling the locale tourist stops
Enlarge Image
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Chrisoc13 wrote:You can also use the swivel cannon to clear out the deck a lot before boarding.
Absolutely - this is great advice.

When using swivels to clear the opposing deck, its easier to aim at the base of the masts or helm so that the nearby crew are hit by shrapnel. Explosive barrels are also good targets. Aiming directly at crew is hard to master.

Also helpful when boarding ships is to take to the rigging so that you can air-assassinate the crew or pick them off with pistol shots. You will have to master this soon since the large ships have snipers (scouts) or flags that you have to take out to conquer the ship.

Finally - if you are near death, don't be afraid to jump overboard and recover a little health.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Cylus Maxii wrote:
Chrisoc13 wrote:You can also use the swivel cannon to clear out the deck a lot before boarding.
Absolutely - this is great advice.

When using swivels to clear the opposing deck, its easier to aim at the base of the masts or helm so that the nearby crew are hit by shrapnel. Explosive barrels are also good targets. Aiming directly at crew is hard to master.
Not much better than boarding a ship without even boarding it. :D
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its still early in the game to me.....a few days....so maybe Im not understanding something. But earlier I killed everyone on an island and took a warehouse I think it was or something and the island became ours. It stopped flying the British flag and flew a pirate one instead. Even the fort changed hands. Just now I did the same to another British flagged little place wit ha warehouse but in the end it stayed British. even the enemy sea mines were back in place. I can fast travel to it but its ot a pirates place. Im just leaving though....perhaps it takes time?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

It would be nice if when I upgrade the Jackdaw it showed the new stuff or it being added instead of the no info little animation it does.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Daehawk wrote:Its still early in the game to me.....a few days....so maybe Im not understanding something. But earlier I killed everyone on an island and took a warehouse I think it was or something and the island became ours. It stopped flying the British flag and flew a pirate one instead. Even the fort changed hands. Just now I did the same to another British flagged little place wit ha warehouse but in the end it stayed British. even the enemy sea mines were back in place. I can fast travel to it but its ot a pirates place. Im just leaving though....perhaps it takes time?
Warehouses do not change control, you can only loot them and move on. The fort should have become a pirate haven and opened up the map in that region.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah, in the first case you captured a Fort, not a warehouse. The map should have changed too; a section of it around the fort should have cleared up and shown you where collectibles and fishing are. In the second case you just robbed a warehouse. If you wait awhile you can do it again
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

ARGH!!!! and thats not because Im a pirate. I just got my own place and theres some loot on this island I just cannot get to. I can see it but the path is blocked by vines. I see a fallen tree above me to walk across to where I need to go but I cant find a way UP to that fallen tree itself. Im stuck here. I dont want to move on till I get all the treasure on this island and get to the iguana I want to hunt. Kidd is waiting on me too. I swear that guy looks like a girl.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Lol
Spoiler:
trust your instincts
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Picked up this game and am enjoying it so far. However, I've never played any of the AC games and there seem to be a lot of concepts I'm unfamiliar with. For one, what are the glowing objects I see from time to time? Usually they will be floating in the air, but sometimes they will move as I chase after them. What are these things? Is interacting with them necessary to reach 100% completion?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

There are a lot of collectibles. Some of them are animus shards and the moving ones are sea shanties (if you open your map it should tell you which is which). You can ignore them if you like, though the more sea shanties you have the more variety you have listening to your crew singing when sailing your ship
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

IceBear wrote:Lol
Spoiler:
trust your instincts
Spoiler:
I haven't gotten to the reveal yet, but I've had Kidd pegged as a woman since she walked on screen. I told my wife, but she didn't believe me.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Apollo wrote:Picked up this game and am enjoying it so far. However, I've never played any of the AC games and there seem to be a lot of concepts I'm unfamiliar with. For one, what are the glowing objects I see from time to time? Usually they will be floating in the air, but sometimes they will move as I chase after them. What are these things? Is interacting with them necessary to reach 100% completion?
Yes, collectibles are counted in the 100% and serve little other purpose except the sea shanties as IceBear pointed out. Think log and hard before going that route as the uncharted collectibles (ones on islands and isolated beaches all over the map that can only be reached by ship) can be pretty annoying to collect. There are 46 uncharted treasure chests and somewhere around 20 uncharted animus fragments. ~66 stops for 100% completion.

On the plus side, it does make it easier to find what you want on the map when you clear out all the crap.

Oh yeah, don't forget the 22 buried treasures. At least most of those you can get through the normal course of playing with out a lot of extra stops or at least with the help of fast travel.

Even if you don't do any of that there is still a LOT to do in this game.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im just looking for fast travel spots and fishing spots right now.