[Kickstarter] Shroud of the Avatar (Lord British)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Smoove_B

[Kickstarter] Shroud of the Avatar (Lord British)

Post by Smoove_B »

Well...this should get interesting.
Richard Garriott, the award winning designer and creator of the Ultima franchise, makes his triumphant return to the genre that earned him a place in the Hall of Fame and a Lifetime Achievement Award. Shroud of the Avatar is the first installment of Richard’s new vision and represents the reinvention of the classic, fantasy role-playing which he pioneered. A fantasy role-playing game that will focus more on player choices and discovery than on level grinding.

With Shroud of the Avatar, Richard and his team will again reinvent the classic fantasy role-playing experience. Using state-of-the-art tools and technology, the game will focus on what made his seminal Ultima Series great. Once players are introduced to the game, they will discover their own story woven into the immersive world and lore surrounding them. Players may choose to follow the life of the adventurer or, if they prefer, focus on exploration and discovery. Players may even choose the life of a homesteader; either nestled within the safety of the settled lands, or on the dangerous but potentially lucrative frontier. The world is full of opportunities and challenges!
Link to the Kickstarter

Bullet points:
From Lord British's Treatise on "What is an Ultimate RPG?":

Fully interactive virtual world - If it looks usable, it should do something
Deep original fiction - Ethical parables, cultural histories, fully developed alternate language text
Physical game components will be available: Cloth map, fictional manuals, trinkets
Multiplayer Online Game - which can also be played solo player / offline
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Sepiche

Re: [Kickstarter] Shroud of the Avatar (Lord British)

Post by Sepiche »

Wow. How can I not back a KS from the guy who influenced my youth so much? I lost SO many hours in his games as a kid.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

The map is similar to Sosaria's.
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

Backed.
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

Having not paid for the first 4 Ultimas, the least I could do is back this one, just not sure what level I'll end up. I'm interested to see how the multi-player aspect will work.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

From the comments:
"The story will be closer to an ultima 4-9 and will be playable mostly offline. You will need to connect occasionally to get world updates but if you choose to play it purely single player, it will feel like a more dynamic single player experience"
I too lost many, many hours to Ultima IV and V. I have to support him based on those experiences alone.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Tempting, but I don't entirely trust Garriott. The last non-MMO he did was 14 years ago, and was a mess (Ultima IX), and his last decent game was 19 years ago (I hated Ultima Online with a passion.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

You had me until multiplayer. UO was a soul crushing introduction to internet asshattery.

I remember getting Ultima II from a friend's dad and many hours of fun in the sequels. But selling nostalgia after you haven't developed a game for years? I'd Kickstart Torment first. Fargo at least stayed in the business.
Last edited by Zarathud on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Zarathud wrote:You had me until multiplayer. UO was a soul crushing introduction to internet asshattery.
He has a FAQ that addresses the non-MMO nature of this game:
Will this be a MMO? Can I play with my friends?

Yes, you will be able to play with your friends! Multiplayer games encourage social bonds that go far beyond what can be accomplished in a solo player game. I remember the depth of these bonds in players who met in-game only to get married in real life, how people who died in the real world were deeply mourned and celebrated by their online friends whom they may never have met face to face. Though Shroud of the Avatar won’t be a massively multiplayer online role playing game, it will be a multiplayer game. We will be describing this in more detail in our upcoming community blogs.
Tempting, but I don't entirely trust Garriott.
If we're to believe the conventional wisdom, he's been under the boot of a publisher and forced to make design decisions that would sell copies, not make a better game. Of course, he can't blame publishers for everything, but for this project it's 100% on him.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

I'm not touching this one with a 10 foot pole. Way too many red flags here for my comfort. I'll just wait until after release, thank you very much.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Interview on RPS:
“It’s been about 15 years since I’ve gone back to my fantasy role-playing game roots in particular,” he tells me. “I think that the industry has evolved and the genre of role-playing games in particular has evolved in a direction that has left a large opening for me. I kind of put role-playing games into two general categories: One I’ll put my work into, which is sort of sandbox realities, where you get invited into this world.

“Not only is there a deep, rich story that unfolds, but also you can do all kinds of things at your own pace, whether that’s to be a shopkeeper or to be an adventurer or to be a blacksmith. They’re all richly detailed ways in which to play in that world. Whereas if you compare that to, say, EverQuest or World of Warcraft, in those games, every player is first and foremost a combatant.”
And on the multiplayer aspects:
Shroud of the Avatar is a game that first and foremost can be played both offline and online, so it’s a very high-quality story-driven single-player game. That being said, if you are online, it will also search for people you know, by whatever means it can, whether you give us access to your contacts list or your social media connections. We’ll search for people you know and automatically bring them into the purview of your game.”

“You will literally be able to see them walking around in the world with you. You don’t have to party. You don’t have to group. It just happens automatically. So it’s not exactly massively multiplayer. We’re not going to bother putting 10,000 people you don’t know on screen in front of you. But if we can’t find anybody you do know, we will put some people you don’t know on screen in front of you, so the world feels rich and full. But it’s in this interesting line. It’s not, strictly speaking, single-player, but definitely not massively multiplayer.”
I dunno. I think that's sounds kind of cool.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I backed it. Should be interesting enough, and I did play the early Ultimas into the ground.

They're 1/3 of the way to a million bucks in less than a day...
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Had to back it. I cut my computer gaming teeth on Ultimas III-VII. Ultima VI was the reason I bought my first PC, after I saw the graphics running on a test system at a Babbages in a mall. Knew it was time to give up my C64.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

I just want to go on record yet again to say that Lord British is the goddamn stupidest English name ever. The second stupidest? Moneypenny.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Compared to CRPG Kickstarter projects like Torment and Project Eternity, this looks absolutely 'meh'. Then again, I have no history with the Ultima games...maybe nostalgic gamers will be more receptive.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Formix

Post by Formix »

You magnificent magnificent bastards....Backed! Trying to get Ultima for free, then trying to hack my stats gave me most of my early computer experience. That alone is worth a few bucks.
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

I've never player any Ultima games but always wanted to, so I decided I might as well back this ;_;
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

This game looks neat, but the rewards are seriously overpriced compared to other Kickstarters. I have to pay $100 to get the soundtrack and $200 to have my name appear at all in the game? Sheesh! I get both of those at the $75 tier for Torment Tides of Numanera. I'll just pay $30 to get the basic game. Good luck, LB.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

So this is going to be a multiplayer version of Skyrim-like game but less focus on combat?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Used to admire him now im 'meh' on him. My favorite of them all is Ultima 7 pt 2 Serpent Isle.

No doubt this will be playable only on smart phones.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Intrigued, but cautiously. Can you back it after some kind of beta release?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Daehawk wrote:No doubt this will be playable only on smart phones.
You're not even trying to read up on this, are you?
Why PC?

Some people think that PC is an outdated platform, but to that I say not true! I have always been a PC developer, and there is something magical about sitting close to a large screen, seeing your world come to life. And the flexibility of using a keyboard and mouse is unmatched; though if you prefer to play with a gamepad on a PC, you can do that too!

For game development, the PC allows developers tremendous innovation and gives players the most choices as far as how they play. Although a great RPG can exist in many forms (even paper tape!), I firmly believe that the PC is the best platform for Shroud of the Avatar.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Over $850,000 now, 24 days to go.

My only Ultima experience was Online. It taught me to distrust every human that goes online. It set the tone for expecting asshattery from other people when they're given the chance to do it.

Of course, watching someone open a chest and then immediately start screaming "CURE CURE CURE" as they ran in small circles while dying of lethal poison traps in the chest was pretty damn funny... except the time it happened to me. That wasn't funny. Not at all.

I actually got a pretty good character going and then one day I got really pissed at a ninja-looter and killed him, which turned me into a murderer. The next day I put my account up for auction and actually made a little money on it.

Since I don't know anyone else online and he would then drop random people into my world, I'll pass on this one.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote:
Zarathud wrote:
Tempting, but I don't entirely trust Garriott.
If we're to believe the conventional wisdom, he's been under the boot of a publisher and forced to make design decisions that would sell copies, not make a better game. Of course, he can't blame publishers for everything, but for this project it's 100% on him.

If I am to believe conventional wisdom developers use their evolution good abilities and then put out something between crap and meh while stroking their egos. Can you imagine the disappointment of kick starting Black and White or Sid Meier's Railroads!?
McG2k1

Post by McG2k1 »

I'm still feeling burned from Ultima IX
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Paingod, I laughed at your story, because UO set the same tone for my future MMORPG experiences. Distrust, anger, paranoia.

That being said, Garriott said there is an offline single player mode.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That is the same reason that I hated it, and the reason I avoid PvP servers in modern MMOs.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

ColdSteel wrote:I'm not touching this one with a 10 foot pole. Way too many red flags here for my comfort. I'll just wait until after release, thank you very much.
Ditto for me. I played and loved the first half dozen Ultimas, but 9 was a horrendous mess and UO was everything I never want to see again in a game.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

They'll hit their goal, and easily. I'm glad. While I don't have enough confidence in Garriot to back this sight unseen, I will certainly get it if it comes out to good reviews.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Anyone notice that they're not calling this game "Ultima"? I'm assuming this is because EA owns the rights to Ultima and has turned it into a facebook game or some such.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yes -- see here.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

I wonder if this and the Torment kickstarters are currently fighting for funding?
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Gavin wrote:I wonder if this and the Torment kickstarters are currently fighting for funding?
I don't see why they should be. They're very different games.
Insert witty comment here.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I'll probably do Collector due to my fondness for III-V (first games I ever purchased) but I'm remaining skeptical.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

TiLT wrote:I don't see why they should be. They're very different games.
Yeah, that's why it isn't a given that they are competing. But I like both developers and don't want to get sucked too far down the kickstarter rabbit hole so I'm only going to pick one. I wonder who else is making that choice? They'll also be competing for market awareness.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

To RPG fans with a fixed budget, they're competing.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Paingod wrote:Over $850,000 now, 24 days to go.

My only Ultima experience was Online. It taught me to distrust every human that goes online. It set the tone for expecting asshattery from other people when they're given the chance to do it.

Of course, watching someone open a chest and then immediately start screaming "CURE CURE CURE" as they ran in small circles while dying of lethal poison traps in the chest was pretty damn funny... except the time it happened to me. That wasn't funny. Not at all.

I actually got a pretty good character going and then one day I got really pissed at a ninja-looter and killed him, which turned me into a murderer. The next day I put my account up for auction and actually made a little money on it.

Since I don't know anyone else online and he would then drop random people into my world, I'll pass on this one.
My experience with UO was:

Three days of excruciating lag just trying to create a character. Finally get in and run out into the woods with a knife to get some exp. "Aha, a deer!" Attack it and die in 2 seconds. What, is this a Soviet Russia RPG?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Mine was more about spending hours on end making wooden stools and selling them to get enough money to buy a starter sword and actually go do some, you know - adventuring. I finally buy my sword, walk twenty seconds out of town, and some guy armed and armored out the wazoo rides up, one-shots me, and takes my sword (which couldn't have been worth anything to him.)

I walked back to town, started cutting wood to make stools so I could get a new sword, realized that a few more hours of doing so wasn't anything resembling 'fun' and uninstalled.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Somehow, I managed to miss the entire Ultima brand. Which I find strange considering RPG's have always been my favorite genre, and particularly old school RPG's.

I remember the only one I played for any length of time was Ultima VIII, which was pretty much panned as one of the worst IIRC. The only thing I remember about it was that the graphics were amazing, and brought my system to its knees. Also, lots of frustrating jumping. After that, I tried VII, but never got into it for whatever reason.

I guess I spent all my time with the Wizardy's, Bard's Tales, and Might and Magics and just never really got around to that series.

I find the first tier pledge text to be pretty funny though. If I had ever pirated Ultima, or "griefed" another player online, I would certainly pledge, just for the originality of his first tier goal! :D
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

i said it in jest as all he has done since the failed Tabula Rosa is casual smart games.
Smoove_B wrote:
Daehawk wrote:No doubt this will be playable only on smart phones.
You're not even trying to read up on this, are you?
Why PC?

Some people think that PC is an outdated platform, but to that I say not true! I have always been a PC developer, and there is something magical about sitting close to a large screen, seeing your world come to life. And the flexibility of using a keyboard and mouse is unmatched; though if you prefer to play with a gamepad on a PC, you can do that too!

For game development, the PC allows developers tremendous innovation and gives players the most choices as far as how they play. Although a great RPG can exist in many forms (even paper tape!), I firmly believe that the PC is the best platform for Shroud of the Avatar.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"