Divinity: Original Sin

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Jag

Re: Divinity: Original Sin

Post by Jag »

It will also highlight points of interest, like if you buy a treasure map from the map maker in town. Just make sure you have a shovel. You can find one in the place that makes the most sense.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Jag wrote:It will also highlight points of interest, like if you buy a treasure map from the map maker in town. Just make sure you have a shovel. You can find one in the place that makes the most sense.
I found one down by the beach - not far from a rather interesting giant clam..
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I got that one too, I can dual wield shovels :) (I don't think I can really...just having fun)
Jag

Post by Jag »

Game has a 9 user score on Metacritic and is the highest rate game currently.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah, I am finally high enough level to get through all the orcs on the beach. Got some good stuff in the 4 elements mirror dungeons
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

How are y'all handling the dialog between your two characters? Do you role play and have one be an a-hole and the other righteous? The one thing I don't like is how long the conversation lines get if you're disagreeing then have to do the rock/paper/scissors bit. It's seems easier to just agree with one line and run with it but does that take away from any other aspect of the game?
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

tgb wrote:
baelthazar wrote:
My map does seem to auto-generate points of interest, so I'm not exactly sure about that complaint. It is largely things like "Inn" and "Legion HQ," but it does help.
The map doesn't auto-label important buildings until you enter them. Once the name appears on the main screen it becomes notated on the map, which makes sense considering you earn so much experience just through exploration.
My Legion HQ was labelled before I got even near it. But I had a quest to go there, so it may be that.
tgb

Post by tgb »

OK. Will someone please explain to me how it is that
Spoiler:
having my male battlemage wear Esmeralda's smelly underwear increases his charisma by 1?
Thank you, Obama.

Oh, and
Spoiler:
RIP Jake's dog. You were a good, loyal friend.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

15 hours in (Steam says 19 but I left it sitting while I did other things) and I"m loving it. Man at Arms/Hydro/Witch (Str/Int) and Ranger/Face (Dex/Per/Speed). Once I get out of the rainy areas I'll probably have trouble since I won't be able to instantly start freezing people but I don't think that opening up with two Crushing Fists is ever going to get old!
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Slightly OT but I picked up the Divinity II director's cut on the GOG sale last week and decided to play that before tackling Original Sin. Man, it's fantastic. Best RPG I've played in a long time. Larian really knows what it's doing with this RPG stuff.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Google Docs spreadsheet of crafting recipies.

Kind of a moot point for me right now since I'm selling everything I steal acquire anyway.
Jag

Post by Jag »

ColdSteel wrote:Slightly OT but I picked up the Divinity II director's cut on the GOG sale last week and decided to play that before tackling Original Sin. Man, it's fantastic. Best RPG I've played in a long time. Larian really knows what it's doing with this RPG stuff.
Yeah, we've been saying that for awhile ;) But D:OS is soooo good.
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

Jag wrote:
ColdSteel wrote:Slightly OT but I picked up the Divinity II director's cut on the GOG sale last week and decided to play that before tackling Original Sin. Man, it's fantastic. Best RPG I've played in a long time. Larian really knows what it's doing with this RPG stuff.

:o , I'm trying to finish Blackguards first but I sooooo want to play this :!:

Blackguards rocks too though (even though it almost certainly rocks less than D:OS ^^)
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
JCC

Post by JCC »

[Very mild, early main quest, not very specific spoilers.]

So, has anyone figured out if it is possible to finish the Jake's murder quest while role playing a "lawful" character? It seems to me that the Councillor's wife quest can not be finished without breaking the law, and that seems to hold up the Jake's Murder quest. (I define any action whose icon is marked as red as breaking the law.)

Just curious. I looked at some online help and couldn't find a lawful solution. I usually play lawful goodie goodie characters these days in RPGs.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Have you tried talking to animals? There was a quest in town that I solved while in beta by talking to the owners cat. You need a skill to do it though.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Lordnine wrote:Have you tried talking to animals? There was a quest in town that I solved while in beta by talking to the owners cat. You need a skill to do it though.
Yes. There is some indication that with the dog you could solve the murder quest; however, I think to get any of the items needed for the dog to sniff you would also need to steal a personal item from each of the suspects (and thereby break the law). I know this is true of Esmerelda's panties. I am also fairly certain you would still not be able to solve The Councillor's wife quest this way.... In fact, even though with the dog's help I got the same information that is required to trigger the Councillor's Wife quest - it didn't get triggered and I had to perform an unlawful act just to get that quest started....

I'm not going to hate on the game if I have to do unlawful things to progress. I just find it a bit odd, and am wondering if there is a purely lawful way to get these quests to work and finish them.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
tgb

Post by tgb »

I was in the same position as JCC, except I got Jake's dog killed
Spoiler:
right after finding the dead sheep.
I ended up restarting this morning and have just gotten to town, so if anyone knows a way to solve the murder without sneakery and thievery, I'd love to hear it.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Jag

Post by Jag »

EzeKieL wrote:
Jag wrote:

:o , I'm trying to finish Blackguards first but I sooooo want to play this :!:

Blackguards rocks too though (even though it almost certainly rocks less than D:OS ^^)
I was at the very end of Blackguards when D:OS released, so it has to take a back seat.

BTW, today's patch notes
About the Global Chat: We switched it off for now as there was just a bit too much profanity and insulting, and while we have good hopes that it may get better if people read this, we'll also install some proper moderation tools & processes. Once that's done, we'll switch it on again.
:D

It's actually a shame Global Chat is off. It was really helpful if you wanted hints and help. Sort of like being in an MMO world, but playing solo. I didn't see bad behavior in the beta at least.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Banter is on steroids and quickly anoise. Partially pivoting camera sucks. It would have been smarter to togglekey the mouse between view control and movement/interface control. Lots of nondescript inhabitants with exactly the same conversation trees. I'm learning who not to talk to...
but combat's cool!
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I think talking to unnamed NPC's - i.e. "citizen" or "legionnaire" is a waste of time.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

This is tempting.

Finally bought Skyrim legendary edition on the last Steam sale--I already 'finished' it on the xbox but wanted to try it modded.

Every time I CTD though I keep coming back to this thread...
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

JCC wrote:[Very mild, early main quest, not very specific spoilers.]

So, has anyone figured out if it is possible to finish the Jake's murder quest while role playing a "lawful" character? It seems to me that the Councillor's wife quest can not be finished without breaking the law, and that seems to hold up the Jake's Murder quest. (I define any action whose icon is marked as red as breaking the law.)

Just curious. I looked at some online help and couldn't find a lawful solution. I usually play lawful goodie goodie characters these days in RPGs.
I wasn't paying 100% attention if anything I did required me to click with the red no-no symbol, but
Spoiler:
I am pretty sure I got Evelyn as the guilty party without ever doing the Councillor's wife quest - in fact I just did that quest as I had missed it because I couldn't pick the lock on the chest in the inn to get the letter until now (I didn't want to smash it with the guard outside...I kind of play lawful good too). I did take Pet Pal, so when I spoke to Jake's dog, dug up the sheep, confronted the mortician he suggested that Evelyn might be involved. My memory is fuzzy here, but I think I then found one of her old coats in the doctor's office...that might have been a red no-no icon, can't remember, and the dog convicted her
JCC

Post by JCC »

Thanks IceBear.

What level is everyone getting to before they begin venturing out of town? I am just getting crushed in fights now.
Black Lives Matter

Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

It is a slight stretch but I figure I have the power of a search warrant. Thus I can riffle through peoples stuff looking for evidence. Personally I also confiscated potions but I did leave behind some pictures and cups.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

tgb wrote:I think talking to unnamed NPC's - i.e. "citizen" or "legionnaire" is a waste of time.
Some of them have great trade stuff though.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Madmarcus wrote:It is a slight stretch but I figure I have the power of a search warrant. Thus I can riffle through peoples stuff looking for evidence. Personally I also confiscated potions but I did leave behind some pictures and cups.
That's what I decided too.
Angnomander

Post by Angnomander »

JCC wrote:Thanks IceBear.

What level is everyone getting to before they begin venturing out of town? I am just getting crushed in fights now.
Spoiler:
The north gate has some L3 critters outside. Make sure you have both companions, and I find the summoned pets are useful since mobs often attack them and they can be summoned behind a mob to set up a flanking debuff to defense.

Try the graveyard in town as well.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Tip, if you have a stack of small healing potions, separate them and then put them back together.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Fired this up for a quick look (thank baelthazar) and wow, I love it already.

Love all the character building and did one combat--can't wait to play later.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Wow, another update. This is a daily event :)
tgb

Post by tgb »

Madmarcus wrote:
tgb wrote:I think talking to unnamed NPC's - i.e. "citizen" or "legionnaire" is a waste of time.
Some of them have great trade stuff though.
Yes, but you can get to that without going through all the dialogue.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

True. The dialog with any generically named character is worthless but it can be nice to interact with them.

Grr, I'm stuck on the Crabs versus Skeletons quest. I'm looking for some form of button, lever, or something (I guess) to get access to the hidden pirate's lair. I hunted for ages until I suddenly found the Ominous Door (I guess I'm blind) so I figured I had it but clear not. I guess I'll go back to town and come back later.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Lots of hidden buttons there
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

I've been playing this game co-op with a friend. 7 hours in so far, and still only level 3. We could have easily spent our entire 4-hour session tonight doing nothing but talking to people and solving quests, but we eventually decided to go questing outside of town for a bit of variety and combat.

I really recommend playing this game co-op the first time if you can, as it seems to be built for this kind of experience. I've never really played anything like it. Because of the lack of hand-holding and the nature of the quests themselves, the gameplay becomes quite different from what we're used to. We keep saying things like: "I think I'll head over to the gravedigger to have a talk with him again," while the other player answers with: "okay, I'll talk to the Mayor in the meantime." Splitting up to do respective tasks feels right, and the game encourages you to meet up to discuss the events using in-game co-op dialogue. We don't always know what the other player is up to, so we end up asking each other things like: "what was that all about?" after seeing a parting comment from an irate NPC, for example, but not getting the entire picture since the other player was the one handling the conversation.
Insert witty comment here.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Spoiler:
That Evelyn fight is a bitch
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah, I think I might have over leveled a bit as it wasn't too bad for me. I got a legendary sword in the elemental mirror dungeons that makes life a lot better
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I was having some major trouble with my Cleric and Witch combo, largely due to a lack of damage output (I should have customized the witch with the flare spell, you really need a fire spell for a lot of the game). So I restarted with a Battlemage and Rogue combo and am doing much better. The rogue seems drastically OP, particularly since daggers only take 2 AP to attack (and can multiple backstap).
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

IceBear wrote:Lots of hidden buttons there
Ok, this morning I actually attempted to find a specific spoiler to this because it's driving me crazy.

Black Cove Sort of Spoiler
Spoiler:
I've been down to the two ghosts on the dock. I've been through the ominous door (I'd found an unlock scroll a while ago) and killed the thing at the bottom (and talked to another ghost). I've stood in the pirate office and pulled the lever on the floor near the table. However all of the spoilered info on this quest mentions a specific decorative object that does not exist in my pirate office. The only thing on the walls is a hunting trophy!
Now I feel slightly guilty about looking up spoilered content and I still can't advance.
Last edited by Madmarcus on Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Spoiler:
Above the fireplace? Ouch, sorry if that's a bug. Actually I don't think I found the crabs vs pirates quest. I cleared out all the areas I thought but must have missed something
Last edited by IceBear on Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Not to be "that guy" but use the SPOILER text please!

:P