Divinity: Original Sin

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: Divinity: Original Sin

Post by Daehawk »

Good to know on both. Sounds like this will be a fun and detailed game. And those 3 crafting points will go towards better skills.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:17 pm I would not put any points in crafting - you can get one of the NPC's you do not plan on adding to your party to specialize in crafting then swap them in when you need something. The only essential crafting item is non-slip boots, so save up any 9 inch nails you see, to combine with your best boots.
I remember those. I think I found a pair and then just had to craft them for the rest of my party.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

2 quickies as Im in character creation now and need to know quick hahaha..

1. Of the two characters Im making if say one has the luck and finds more stuff do I need to look in containers with that character all the time or will just having the skill allow either to loot and get the bonus?

2. I cant recall the better question right now dangit but I only need loremaster on one right and can either make use of that skill? Like my main doesn't but the other main has it...would I have to give all items to that one to identify or will the other one be able to identify also?

Wish i could recall the better question I had. Was important. :(

One is an archer and one is a mage. Im thinking of changing charisma on the mage to leadership. I hope thats wise. Not sure how to build this wizard. Im playing it as me an archer and the wiz is my wife hehe.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

1. Luck: in the original game, only the looter gets the bonus. In DOS2 this has been changed to the party.

2. Loremaster only applies to the person making the exam with the magnifying glass.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Specialties only exist for that character and not for the group. So you build one character to open locks, one to craft, one to blacksmith, one for lore etc. As you find characters to add to your party they will already lean in certain directions and you can then explore what they do best.

I would just start with what you like to play with. This is a big game and you will have a chance to adjust as you play it.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I didn't pick and crafting or rogue abilities for either character. I took lore with one and leadership with one.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Leadership is pretty sweet. Just remember that you'll probably want to get a few points of Leadership on another character too. Leadership doesn't affect the character that has it. Having at least a few points on a second character increases the likelihood of your character getting the bonus, and reduces the possibility of having all leadership bonuses drop mid fight due to line of sight issues (for example, a smoke cloud will block leadership).

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Having no edge scroll is a little strange. Seems the only way to scroll is arrow keys or just let it scroll as you walk. I dont think Ive seen a game since the 90s that didn't scroll the screen when the mouse cursor was there.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

You can turn that on in the options.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

ill relook...ty.

I did find the button to highlight things on screen. But it doesn't work on boxes or bodies. It will show me seashells but not the crate of loot beside it...and stuff blends in in this game well.

EDIT: Missed it again then found some screens scroll down :) TY
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im bad about picking up everything I can. Like these seashells...I should stop that right now.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont get the talking between characters. I have two..i created them...and they talk to each other yet Im the one choosing both responses. I feel like Im talking to myself.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Made 2 blunders thanks to both the game not telling me a hint and me just being blind...or unthoughtful.

1. Was stuck in the tutorial dungeon longer than need be because I did not know I could pick up stuff and move it. I found I could unchain my NPCs from each other and stand on a pair of pressure switches but the door would close when i moved to go through it. Finally discovered I could move broken vases onto them. Weeee.

2. Got to the first town and in the harbor I pass a burning ship with 5 or 6 sailors throwing water on it. Figured they had it and walked past. Spent 12 minutes trading with a ship captain and trying stuff on and such only to walk back by and the ship had burned and sunk and the owner was crying his eyes out. DOH! I didn't know that would or even could happen. So loaded an old save and ran there to cast rain on it. Saved his ship. Not sure it gets me anything but I felt good doing it as Im playing a goodie two shoes.

The game is so minutely detailed Im just not used to it yet. Must think more deeply. Also Im happy I waited to get it and they made the enhanced edition. Well I had to since Im poor but it all worked out great. The npcs are all voiced now and the game looks wonderful. Im a bit intimidated by it but wow man its just cool.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok this silly talking to myself is taking me out of the game . I had to simply quit my session for the night after arguing with myself. Then I had to play a game of rock paper scissors to win the argument....between my two characters. Why doesn't the computer run the 2nd one in instances like that? I dont see the point of talking to my other character when im choosing both sides.

Does anyone understand this feature?

EDIT: Looking online it seems Im far from alone in this feeling. What a horrible feature.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Two reasons.

First, the game was heavily designed for co-op play. As opposed to something like a Baldur's Gate where the second person really just plays an NPC.

Second, the answers actually matter. Not for every conversation, but many conversations affect that third tab of values... traits? So depending on how you want to develop your characters, you need to pay attention to how you answer. e.g. Do you want your "second" character to be a follower, or independent? Depending on what you go with, you'll get bonuses to different skills. So while it's a little odd, think of it in terms of character development.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

TheMix wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:09 am Two reasons.

First, the game was heavily designed for co-op play. As opposed to something like a Baldur's Gate where the second person really just plays an NPC.

Second, the answers actually matter. Not for every conversation, but many conversations affect that third tab of values... traits? So depending on how you want to develop your characters, you need to pay attention to how you answer. e.g. Do you want your "second" character to be a follower, or independent? Depending on what you go with, you'll get bonuses to different skills. So while it's a little odd, think of it in terms of character development.
This. Also, it's a great way to pad some stats in your skills. For example, being more "egotistical" lends itself to being a better trader (+1 to trade), being cautious allows is a +1 to sneak, etc.

Here, found a chart if you want:

http://divinity.wikia.com/wiki/Traits_( ... ginal_Sin)
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

The burning ship thing took me forever to figure out.

And after a while you will get used to the conversation with yourself. It benefits you to pay attention to those talks.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Handy...thanks.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Blunt is especially useful. I think in my co-op game we reloaded once or twice when we accidentally lost that. Forgiving is useful also, but I feel like we had gear that helped with that, so it wasn't as critical.

Or I'm mixing up the two.

Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

These choices I come across randomly seem to have no reason. A healer must choose between two patients..one old one young. Then I stand there arguing with myself and no matter what I do I cannot win that stupid rock paper scissors game so it always ends up the alts choice if I choose anything but the same thing. Its like playing poker with myself.

Not sure Im going much further with this game. Has so much promise just to waste it on stupid dev decisions. Not fun.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I really don't know why I (we) bother....

Black Lives Matter

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I think there is an auto resolve on rock-paper-scissors. You can save first and repeat until you get the desired result.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:33 pm I think there is an auto resolve on rock-paper-scissors. You can save first and repeat until you get the desired result.
Yup, I used to do that. Any game that will let you save expects you to use it i think.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

TheMix wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:27 pm I really don't know why I (we) bother....
Im trying but that just yanks me out and ruins the fun. Kinda making me mad too. Its something that if Id known about I would not have spent my money on it. I wonder if the 2nd one is like this? If so I can forget it now.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm thinking about picking this up. I realize asking this in the PC subforum may skew the answer, BUT is there any gameplay reason to pick this up on the PC vs. on a console (say the XBOne)? I would assume that the game controls are more suited to the PC, but I tend to prefer to do most of my gaming on the console / TV.
Black Lives Matter.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I only played on the PC. But other than the inventory being a bit fiddly, I'd think playing on the console should be fine... especially if that's what you prefer.

Inventory management gets to be a serious P.I.T.A. At least if you use a lot of bags. But maybe it's actually easier on a console. Probably a lot less annoying if one doesn't try to fight it. And stays away from bags.

Also, depending on how you proceed, you can likely skip 90% of the crafting (including the lugging around of all the supplies).

Black Lives Matter

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

TheMix wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:45 pm I only played on the PC. But other than the inventory being a bit fiddly, I'd think playing on the console should be fine... especially if that's what you prefer.

Inventory management gets to be a serious P.I.T.A. At least if you use a lot of bags. But maybe it's actually easier on a console. Probably a lot less annoying if one doesn't try to fight it. And stays away from bags.

Also, depending on how you proceed, you can likely skip 90% of the crafting (including the lugging around of all the supplies).
Thanks, that's helpful. Usually in these games I wind up mostly skipping the crafting, outside of basic stuff like making healing potions. Never seems to be worth the time to me.
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I played it a little bit. It feels like a weird amalgamation of Diablo and Baldur's Gate. Diablo because of the incredible amount of loot, Baldur's Gate because it's ... very much like that game. I like the RPG and puzzler parts of it (the part where your two main characters can argue with each other in front of an NPC to whom they're talking is great), but it's going to take me a while to figure out the combat. There's about fifty billion different abilities and status effects, and I have no idea how any of it interplays.
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

You'll find a ton of healing potions.

You can craft grenades and arrows, but you'll also find a lot of those. And (as I noticed way too late), grenades are only useful early on... which is when you don't have the skills to use them effectively.

The most important thing to be able to craft are nailed boots. They prevent slipping. But it won't be hard to find some gear with blacksmithing/crafting on it. So don't bother with any points (or at most 1 point).

That said... I was ranged/casting. If you go melee, then you will probably want to look into blacksmithing. I believe that you can "fit" armor so that the movement penalties go away, or are reduced. That is probably very helpful. And you can do some slight buffing to weapons. But all-in-all, the hassle of carrying all the materials, and fiddling with inventory, was probably not worth the really slight gains.

Apparently you can sell certain weapons for a decent gain, which might be helpful early on, but becomes academic pretty quickly. I had way more gold than I needed by the end.

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

NickAragua wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:57 am I played it a little bit. It feels like a weird amalgamation of Diablo and Baldur's Gate. Diablo because of the incredible amount of loot, Baldur's Gate because it's ... very much like that game. I like the RPG and puzzler parts of it (the part where your two main characters can argue with each other in front of an NPC to whom they're talking is great), but it's going to take me a while to figure out the combat. There's about fifty billion different abilities and status effects, and I have no idea how any of it interplays.
If you want to make your life easier, get/keep an bow with air damage. It will add shock damage. Shock damage seems to have a really high chance of stunning anything standing in liquid. And blood counts as liquid. So things like grenades or attacks that cause bleeding, can create a nice little puddle for you to subsequently stun the target. Also, you always have 100% chance to hit a stunned target.

Just be careful to make sure your characters aren't standing in the same puddles... :ninja:

Black Lives Matter

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

NickAragua wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:57 am I played it a little bit. It feels like a weird amalgamation of Diablo and Baldur's Gate. Diablo because of the incredible amount of loot, Baldur's Gate because it's ... very much like that game. I like the RPG and puzzler parts of it (the part where your two main characters can argue with each other in front of an NPC to whom they're talking is great), but it's going to take me a while to figure out the combat. There's about fifty billion different abilities and status effects, and I have no idea how any of it interplays.
Yea, there are a million abilities in this game, and magic being used in some way by all party members can make a party really powerful, but it can also be so much fun.

I crafted a little everything at the start, mainly potions and things I could then turn around and sell. After a while you don't need the money so I just crafted potions.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

God, that was frustrating. I just walked into an ambush and got slaughtered after 20 minutes of fighting. I reloaded, planned my location, started the fight with a spider, blocked the approaches with fire, and finally - finally - after a full 45 minutes of careful combat, I won. Every character still alive, I used everything in my arsenal to survive, and I just scraped through.

And then combat ended and two characters immediately died before I could cast healing spells on them from burning, and instead of giving me the chance to resurrect them, I get message that my party has perished and I have to start that fight over, again.

I love RPGs. I started PC gaming specifically for RPGs. But the last few RPGs I've played seem incapable of balancing difficulty. They're either mindlessly easy, or they're trial-and-error frustratingly difficult.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Maybe you just suck now.

:P
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm actually pretty sure I'm the issue. I brought it up in the PC Gaming Randomness thread, but my ability to have fun with frustrating experiences has tanked in the past half decade.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Suitably Ironic Moniker

I realized a while ago that when I’m playing RPGs in the vein of a Divinity or Pillars of Eternity, I do so for the story, rather than the combat, andI will thus always choose the easy difficult setting. Plus, I’ll use cheats quite often. I just want to explore the world and enjoy my companions and the overall storylines, not spend 45 minutes plotting out every move for six separate characters.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive reinstalled and am trying this again. I set it to explorer mode though. Im being hurt good but living. Not done much yet. I only have 1 crappy little heal spell on my ranger and i have to use it 5 or 6 times to heal one person 3/4 up. Taking forever.

but Im having a little enjoyment this go. I still really hate the talking to myself crap. This is the first game Ive ever seen where I have to choose both sides of a conversation. It seems to give em a stat depending on what I choose but Id MUCH prefer single sided conversations.....like every other game ever.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:07 am Ive reinstalled and am trying this again. I set it to explorer mode though. Im being hurt good but living. Not done much yet. I only have 1 crappy little heal spell on my ranger and i have to use it 5 or 6 times to heal one person 3/4 up. Taking forever.

but Im having a little enjoyment this go. I still really hate the talking to myself crap. This is the first game Ive ever seen where I have to choose both sides of a conversation. It seems to give em a stat depending on what I choose but Id MUCH prefer single sided conversations.....like every other game ever.
I think they put that in there as a compromise if you are not playing co-op, where you talk to your friend. I remember Witches with charm were my favorite class in this game. If you want to go cheesy you can save/scum and make sure your charm works.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I made my 2 beginners a Ranger and a Blade. I read I can get a 2h user, a rogue, and a something else in the first town.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

2 magic users, 2 archers. I played with a friend. I believe I controlled 1 magic user and the NPC archer. He played an archer and controlled the NPC mage. We tried to focus in different magic classes. By the end we didn't break a sweat on any fights. Often they were over in the first round. I've thought about playing it again someday with melee classes.

I am definitely curious if end-game melee is as completely over-powered as the mages and archers.

Black Lives Matter

Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:44 pm I made my 2 beginners a Ranger and a Blade. I read I can get a 2h user, a rogue, and a something else in the first town.
Divinity definitely favors magic users. I feel like if you don't have at-least one mage in your party you are missing out on the majority of the really cool interactions in the game. I imagine it would also make the game considerably harder.