Divinity: Original Sin

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

tgb

Re: Divinity: Original Sin

Post by tgb »

Does anyone know if there is a way to change the color of the font used for subtitles? That white text can be really hard to read against a light background, like the beach.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Creator Larian Studios LLC 16 minutes ago
Hey folks, we're expecting the GOG keys to go live tomorrow, sorry for the inconvenience.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

BTW, I also saw this posted regarding DRM and Steam:
Yes, developers have confirmed that you can install the game, then uninstall steam, and then still run the game.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

IceBear wrote:
Creator Larian Studios LLC 16 minutes ago
Hey folks, we're expecting the GOG keys to go live tomorrow, sorry for the inconvenience.
Seeing reports from people that they are downloading from GoG now.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Any sign of a digital manual somewhere?
-mf
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

No, no manual, but the game does a good job of explaining stuff as you play
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Sure, but the Kickstarter (which I backed) specifically says "Digital copies come with a digital manual". Perhaps soon...
-mf
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

So far I'm finding some of story to be a little off in tone. The morality debates between the source hunters are decent but I'm finding some of the companion banter a little too conscious of game mechanics for my taste.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Are there any alternative movement controls? I find the Ulitma VII style not really suitable when the GUI keeps getting in my way....
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Is anyone else missing letters from the dialogue text? The combat log shows everything correctly but the version that appears over the characters is curiously missing all of the m's. :?
-mf
tgb

Post by tgb »

I started my first game with a Fighter and a Cleric and played a little past the tutorial dungeon just to get the lay of the land. Now I want to restart with a more interesting character combination. Suggestions?
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
RMC

Post by RMC »

tgb wrote:I started my first game with a Fighter and a Cleric and played a little past the tutorial dungeon just to get the lay of the land. Now I want to restart with a more interesting character combination. Suggestions?
I am playing with a Knight and a Mage. They seem to have a good combination. But really just started and only got to the first city.

Thanks.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

MonkeyFinger wrote:Is anyone else missing letters from the dialogue text? The combat log shows everything correctly but the version that appears over the characters is curiously missing all of the m's. :?
This turns out to be an issue with one of the video settings. No clue which one as I went into the NVIDIA control panel and switched visual options from "Use my preference emphasizing: Quality" to "Let the 3D application decide" and things are fine now.
-mf
Jag

Post by Jag »

RMC wrote:
tgb wrote:I started my first game with a Fighter and a Cleric and played a little past the tutorial dungeon just to get the lay of the land. Now I want to restart with a more interesting character combination. Suggestions?
I am playing with a Knight and a Mage. They seem to have a good combination. But really just started and only got to the first city.

Thanks.
Regarding starting classes, you get 2 companions as soon as you visit the city. I'll spoil it below but it may help determine what classes you make so you don't overlap:
Spoiler:
2H Fighter and Enchanter.
Also the manual is up.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Jag wrote:
Also the manual is up.
I had to look twice and think for a moment when I saw that you had linked to a DOS manual.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Started with Witch and (rogue class that kills mages). Only put few minutes into it, but graphic is looking pretty sweet. I am glad they got turn based combat model of fighting.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

JCC wrote:Are there any alternative movement controls? I find the Ulitma VII style not really suitable when the GUI keeps getting in my way....
There is a little "lock" button on the GUI boxes that says "Allow Click Through" or something like that. If you do that, you can click in the dialog boxes and not select the box but instead click on the terrain.
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

baelthazar wrote:
JCC wrote:Are there any alternative movement controls? I find the Ulitma VII style not really suitable when the GUI keeps getting in my way....
There is a little "lock" button on the GUI boxes that says "Allow Click Through" or something like that. If you do that, you can click in the dialog boxes and not select the box but instead click on the terrain.
There are also buttons that allow you to hide the GUI components entirely. The $%@# chat window in the lower left was driving me crazy until I figured that out. I turned off the message log in the lower right as well, it's much better now.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I started last night with a Wizard and Ranger team. I've just done the tutorial dungeon since I was waiting for the manual. I like that class combo thus far. I'll definitely have to find out how to hide the chat/log windows - those were hitching me up as well.

I'm not impressed by the performance so far. It seems like its very uneven and that the path finding is off. I also wish it scrolled a lot smoother, especially in combat. I let it auto-detect the settings and its pretty much maxed out - I may have to turn it down.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

When I setup my party I chose 'none' for the AI - so instead of arguing with my other half I just choose both conversation options. Is there a way to change that after starting?

I'm only an hour or so into the game so I may just restart.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Cylus Maxii wrote:I started last night with a Wizard and Ranger team. I've just done the tutorial dungeon since I was waiting for the manual. I like that class combo thus far. I'll definitely have to find out how to hide the chat/log windows - those were hitching me up as well.

I'm not impressed by the performance so far. It seems like its very uneven and that the path finding is off. I also wish it scrolled a lot smoother, especially in combat. I let it auto-detect the settings and its pretty much maxed out - I may have to turn it down.
I turned by FSAA off and my shadows to medium and found the performance jumped considerably. The game still looks fantastic, and I can barely tell the difference.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I'll try those tweaks when I get home. Thanks!
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
JCC

Post by JCC »

baelthazar wrote:
Thanks! I'll give that a try.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
tgb

Post by tgb »

Boudreaux wrote:
There are also buttons that allow you to hide the GUI components entirely. The $%@# chat window in the lower left was driving me crazy until I figured that out. I turned off the message log in the lower right as well, it's much better now.
Where? I didn't see anything like that in the options menu.

[edit] Never mind. I found it.
Last edited by tgb on Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Today I learned that grave robbing is wrong. Very very bad. Don’t do it!
tgb

Post by tgb »

Be aware that some of the quests are time-sensitive
Spoiler:
By the time I got back to the burning ship with the rain spell it was too late.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

:shock:

Everyone feel free to tell me that I'm an idiot. Moron would be appropriate too. I'd even accept stupid.

I never bothered reading this thread because somewhere along the way I assumed this was the latest in the Divine Divinity line. So I figured no big deal.

I totally missed that this is an old-school turn-based RPG. I finally checked out the Steam page just to see what the excitement was. </facepalm>

Guess I'll start reading along and drooling until I eventually pick it up.

Edit: I guess it is the latest. But I didn't realize it moved to party TBS.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
RMC

Post by RMC »

TheMix wrote::shock:

Everyone feel free to tell me that I'm an idiot. Moron would be appropriate too. I'd even accept stupid.

I never bothered reading this thread because somewhere along the way I assumed this was the latest in the Divine Divinity line. So I figured no big deal.

I totally missed that this is an old-school turn-based RPG. I finally checked out the Steam page just to see what the excitement was. </facepalm>

Guess I'll start reading along and drooling until I eventually pick it up.

Edit: I guess it is the latest. But I didn't realize it moved to party TBS.
Don't feel bad, I thought it was a diablo clone or something akin to it. Then I actually read this thread because it was on sale... And uh..oops.

Great game so far. Join us...
:)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Suuurrrrreeee... now that I've missed the sale.

I'm onto you...

(I will resist. I will be strong. I will resist. I will be strong....)

:D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

tgb wrote:Be aware that some of the quests are time-sensitive
Spoiler:
On the other hand - you can get at least two of those scrolls before that quest; I found one in the starter dungeon.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Cylus Maxii wrote:
Spoiler:
On the other hand - you can get at least two of those scrolls before that quest; I found one in the starter dungeon.
In my current game I skipped the tutorial dungeon - perhaps that was a mistake. Also I think outside of that dungeon a lot of the loot is randomized.

One thing I just discovered is that gold is not pooled - each party member has their own stash depending on what they've picked up and bartered. I guess that's in keeping with co-op play, but it was kind of counter-intuitive.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

tgb wrote:
Cylus Maxii wrote:
Spoiler:
In my current game I skipped the tutorial dungeon - perhaps that was a mistake. Also I think outside of that dungeon a lot of the loot is randomized.

One thing I just discovered is that gold is not pooled - each party member has their own stash depending on what they've picked up and bartered. I guess that's in keeping with co-op play, but it was kind of counter-intuitive.
This... I wish money was pooled
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
tgb

Post by tgb »

tru1cy wrote:
tgb wrote:
Cylus Maxii wrote:
Spoiler:

This... I wish money was pooled
My biggest nit-pick is the whole inventory system. With no encumbrance model, no idea early on what's important and what's not, and lots of stuff to find (the game could have been called Divinity - The Crate And Barrel Searching Simulator), I find my party carrying a ton of shit around with no easy way to organize it.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

I love the old school nature of the game, but some of the game play features could be simplified or better explained. Example I started collecting a bunch of crap that are obviously crafting materials. Issue is that the game doesn't give you a crafting tutorial, so basically, I'm stuck with a bunch of stuff that I'm not certain I should sell. Selling crap is a pain

Next the mapping is okay, but when I find a place the map should auto notate it without me having to do it.

Combat is fun nonetheless and the open nature of the game is great..

Game is a few patches away from being great
Jag

Post by Jag »

tru1cy wrote:I love the old school nature of the game, but some of the game play features could be simplified or better explained. Example I started collecting a bunch of crap that are obviously crafting materials. Issue is that the game doesn't give you a crafting tutorial, so basically, I'm stuck with a bunch of stuff that I'm not certain I should sell. Selling crap is a pain

Next the mapping is okay, but when I find a place the map should auto notate it without me having to do it.

Combat is fun nonetheless and the open nature of the game is great..

Game is a few patches away from being great
If you go to the inventory tabs on the side, it will group your items by type. I think it is equipped, equipment, consumables, ingredients, magic, keys and misc. The inventory system is not great, but I've learned to live with it. You can carry alot before you hit the encumbrance limit for your character.

Crafting is learned through both trial and error and books. So read the books you find (or steal) and it will put the crafting recipe in your journal. Otherwise it's trial and error. Want to make a spear? Combine a stick and a dagger.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

How do you combine cause dragging a dropping doesn't seem to work
Jag

Post by Jag »

tru1cy wrote:How do you combine cause dragging a dropping doesn't seem to work
Either its the wrong combo or your crafting skill isn't high enough, a floater box will show that over the character. Some have to be further modified like bone in a mortar and pestle. Read the tooltips too.

Here's one way to craft for profit. Try stealing a pillow. A Pillow is a measly 3 Gold Pieces, not much to consider. However put a Knife to that Pillow and you end up with a Feather which doesn't use up weight and is worth 8 Gold Pieces.

But wait! We're not done! Take that same knife you have to those Feathers! and turn them into Quills which now have a value of 30!

This game most definitely does not hold your hand, but I like that.

And make sure you have Pet Pal. So many funny things to talk to animals about. Also having a character with some thievery makes the game a bit easier with gold.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Here's a post I found with some examples on how to use the environment as well:

A main thing to focus on however is the Dynamic spell system that reacts to the environment
You can for example using a Spell Caster Cast a Rain Spell that will create an AoE zone of enemies getting wet if they stand in this zone. Also puddles will form on the ground.

The Chill spell normally slows enemies, However if they are Wet Status, Chill becomes Freeze and the enemy is paralyzed until they thaw.

Going back to the earlier example of water puddles created from the Rain Spell. If you cast shock magic on these puddles. They will electrify anyone standing targeted puddle and may stun them on top of electrical damage.

There is other combinations too. Using Fire on Rain puddles to create scalding steam which obfuscates enemy vision. Or use Poison on Steam to make a Gas Cloud. Cast Fire on a Gas Cloud to ignite it and burn anyone in the haze.

There is also a Oil spell that slows enemy movement similar to Chill. Oil also leaves puddles like Rain does, and you can naturally ignite Oil to make a puddle of fire to create impeding barriers enemies will need to traverse.

Using these strategies also applies to Warriors or Archers with Elemental Arrows with the environment.

Like having a Warrior strike a water barrel with sword to break it and create a flood a specific area. And have the Archer use Shock Arrows on the puddle create an electrified field instead of spell casting doing it.
I just love this game.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I agree with Jag. In many ways, the lack of hand-holding makes me feel like this is a true successor to the Ultima series. Ultima never told you that you could click on a flour sack, get a pile of flour, click-use water on it to make dough, click-use a roller on it to make a loaf and then pop it next to a fire to cook bread. But you could do all those things. And the first time I did it I just about freaked out (back then, that type of interactivity was pretty rare). Being able to drop some rain, then electrocute everything or put down some oil and then set it on fire really gives me a classic RPG (almost PnP D&D) feel.

I'm really loving the game. I've probably put a few hours into it and I've not really even left the town. Loads of people to talk to, things to do, places to see.

My map does seem to auto-generate points of interest, so I'm not exactly sure about that complaint. It is largely things like "Inn" and "Legion HQ," but it does help.
tgb

Post by tgb »

baelthazar wrote:
My map does seem to auto-generate points of interest, so I'm not exactly sure about that complaint. It is largely things like "Inn" and "Legion HQ," but it does help.
The map doesn't auto-label important buildings until you enter them. Once the name appears on the main screen it becomes notated on the map, which makes sense considering you earn so much experience just through exploration.