Divinity: Original Sin

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

tgb

Re: Divinity: Original Sin

Post by tgb »

The biggest reason to wait is that saves from the beta won't be compatible with the final release.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Montag

Post by Montag »

One small word of advice. I really don't think this is spoilerish but will do it anyway.
Spoiler:
When a room is trapped and there are mice about, make sure you close the doors. I cleared an area to later have a party wipe because a mouse wandered into a room and set off a trap that cascaded with deadly effect. It was grimly hilarious.
words
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

How much computer power does it take?

I have a 5 year old Windows computer rocking an HD5670 graphics card. Should I bother or just wait to sales next year (its likely that I'll upgrade later this year).
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Minimum:
Processor: Intel Core2 Duo E6600 or equivalent
Memory: 2048 MB RAM
Graphics: HD Intel Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 GT (512 MB) or ATI™ Radeon™ HD 4850 or equivalent

Recommended:
Processor: Intel i5 2400 or higher
Memory: 4096 MB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 550 ti 1GB ram or or ATI™ Radeon™ HD 6XXX or higher
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

original Divine Divinity is one of my all-time favorite RPG-ish games, i have most of the sequels (passed on Dragon Commander) and i liked the kickstarter video for this, so i am sure i will get it.

i wonder if Larian is planning on local co-op...
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Isgrimnur wrote:Minimum:
Processor: Intel Core2 Duo E6600 or equivalent
Memory: 2048 MB RAM
Graphics: HD Intel Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 GT (512 MB) or ATI™ Radeon™ HD 4850 or equivalent
Thanks. I was actually hoping for opinions on playability. My cpu is a q6600 and not much above the minimum. Oh well, I'll see soon enough as I just bought it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Madmarcus wrote:Thanks. I was actually hoping for opinions on playability
That's not my bag, man. :)
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

No problem. We all need to play to our strengths.

Mine seems to be testing new games on old, weak hardware.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

The test is a success.

While there was a slight hitch in the sound during the opening movie its been terrific since I got into the game. Only through one small area while waiting for the 30th but it plays well and looks good on medium settings even with a Q6600, 4 gigs, and a HD 5670.
RMC

Post by RMC »

So the release is Monday for this right? Not sure why they are making this a Monday release... Seems like a weekend release would be just as good. But oh well..
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
tgb

Post by tgb »

I'm so tempted to start this now, if only to play with character creation and the first area.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
RMC

Post by RMC »

tgb wrote:I'm so tempted to start this now, if only to play with character creation and the first area.
Do you think the save would be good for the released game and the current beta?
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

There is a sticky in the Steam forums from a developer basically saying "Warning - beta game saves are not compatible with the released game"
RMC

Post by RMC »

IceBear wrote:There is a sticky in the Steam forums from a developer basically saying "Warning - beta game saves are not compatible with the released game"
Well that means, that this game is still going to sit this weekend then. :)
Jag

Post by Jag »

tgb wrote:I'm so tempted to start this now, if only to play with character creation and the first area.
Play with character creation. There are ALOT of options.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Triumph have confirmed that this is going to be on GOG at release yet it still isn't listed there as a pre-order or even under upcoming games which is very odd given it's 3 days from release. I wonder what the deal is there?
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
tgb

Post by tgb »

ColdSteel wrote:Triumph have confirmed that this is going to be on GOG at release yet it still isn't listed there as a pre-order or even under upcoming games which is very odd given it's 3 days from release. I wonder what the deal is there?
Perhaps there is a contractual obligation for Steam to have it days/weeks ahead of other distributors.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

There was something in the Kickstarter email... Pretty sure it said the key we have for beta access would stop working on Monday because they would be giving out new keys on Monday. The reason for the new keys was that while the beta was Steam only the full game will be offered on other distribution sites such as GoG, but we're only getting one key. I need to double check if they said the GoG keys were going to be released on Monday or not

Edit: Yeah, here's the email. While they don't come out and say it'll be available everywhere at the same time, that's what I assume to be the case
Steam Early Access codes will expire on release

Everybody who backed us on Kickstarter received a Steam Early Access code. We promised however that you'll be able to select which platform you want to receive your digital download on, so on the day of release, the Kickstarter Early Access codes will stop working and you'll need to log in to the Larian Vault to select which platform you want to play on. You will then get a new code.
If you purchased the game on Steam Early Access, don't worry, your codes will keep on working. This message only applies to the Steam Early Access codes that were given away to our backers.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I don't Kickstart. I purchased the early access deal directly on Steam, so it's a different process, I guess.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah, I guess your key won't expire. I was just looking to see if there was a clue in there for GoG having it on Monday. I take from that that if I kickstarted it I could get a GoG key on Monday. I am ASSUMING from that that it would be available Monday there, but that's an assumption
Jag

Post by Jag »

IceBear wrote:Yeah, I guess your key won't expire. I was just looking to see if there was a clue in there for GoG having it on Monday. I take from that that if I kickstarted it I could get a GoG key on Monday. I am ASSUMING from that that it would be available Monday there, but that's an assumption
I thought if you go to the Larian website, you could pick your option now. I know GoG is listed. I'll probably go GoG instead of Steam as well.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Larian said they had a huge announcement this week. Tom Ohle also tweeted the following last week and Larian retweeted it:
Entirely ridiculous and awesome announcement from @larianstudios next week in advance of Divinity: Original Sin launch. Man.
I was wondering if maybe it had something to do with Divinity: Original Sin perhaps being the launch game for the new GOG Galaxy client. Galaxy is supposed to integrate with the Steam client so that friends can do MP gaming together using both clients. That would make some sense because of the big co-op mode in the game. It also might explain why there's been nothing on GOG about this game at all yet and it's releasing Monday. That's really unusual for GOG so something's up. If this is indeed what's happening they might be having some trouble ironing out kinks because there's been no big announcement yet. We'll see soon enough but it's certainly fun to speculate, anyway.

Edit: Hah, never mind. Apparently the big announcement this week was "Cow Simulator".
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Jag wrote:
IceBear wrote:Yeah, I guess your key won't expire. I was just looking to see if there was a clue in there for GoG having it on Monday. I take from that that if I kickstarted it I could get a GoG key on Monday. I am ASSUMING from that that it would be available Monday there, but that's an assumption
I thought if you go to the Larian website, you could pick your option now. I know GoG is listed. I'll probably go GoG instead of Steam as well.
I haven't gone to the site yet, the email made it sound like the choice isn't available until Monday. I like the idea of getting it on GoG, but pretty much use Steam exclusively. Also not sure what they meant by "regardless of which platform you choose, it's DRM free". So I download from Steam but then don't need Steam running to play? (not that I care if Steam is running or not).

I will probably choose whichever one has it available first.
tgb

Post by tgb »

IceBear wrote: I will probably choose whichever one has it available first.
FWIW, that was my feeling when I got AOW 3 and got it from GOG. Now I regret doing so because of patches being available on Steam days or even weeks earlier.

That may or may not matter to you.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah, I will most likely do the same thing as that's been my experience with the Witcher series (which I bought on GoG as I thought I was more directly supporting the developers there)
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

This is one of the candidates in the next Steam community choice sale. If it wins, it'll be available for 20% off again for eight hours, from 09:00 p.m. EDT till 05:00 a.m. I believe.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

IceBear wrote:
Jag wrote:
I haven't gone to the site yet, the email made it sound like the choice isn't available until Monday. I like the idea of getting it on GoG, but pretty much use Steam exclusively. Also not sure what they meant by "regardless of which platform you choose, it's DRM free". So I download from Steam but then don't need Steam running to play? (not that I care if Steam is running or not).

I will probably choose whichever one has it available first.
I did the KS at the Dragon Commander lever ("Roleplaying Strategist") and I apparently have 2 keys rather than just one. The email they sent made it sound like our beta key would expire, so I assume I will be getting another Steam key when it releases. I've set the second key to activate via GOG.com and will probably DL it from there. Not sure what I will do with my second key. Not sure why I am even GETTING a second key.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Sudy Nym wrote:This is one of the candidates in the next Steam community choice sale. If it wins, it'll be available for 20% off again for eight hours, from 09:00 p.m. EDT till 05:00 a.m. I believe.
Nvermind, lost the vote. :(

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I loved the original Divine Divinity so for $32 I'm in.

I'm not even going to launch the game until Monday's release since saves are going to be wiped.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Sudy Nym wrote:
Sudy Nym wrote:This is one of the candidates in the next Steam community choice sale. If it wins, it'll be available for 20% off again for eight hours, from 09:00 p.m. EDT till 05:00 a.m. I believe.
Nvermind, lost the vote. :(
It's on sale again for the end of the Steam sale and currently the #2 selling game on Steam right now.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I'm beginning to wonder what I should do with the two codes. I might have a friend who will want to play MP, but I want to make sure that we can connect easily. For that, I'm thinking about getting both as Steam codes, despite me not really caring so much for having to boot up Steam first when I want to play. I do love Steam's auto patch and I think that playing together would me far easier using Steam's matching software rather than whatever list the regular GoG version uses.

Anyone play any MP and can comment on this dilemma?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

You can always set Steam to offline mode and they claim that it's DRM regardless of platform. I might try firing up the beta without starting Steam. Since the early access is Steam only, not sure anyone can comment about match making from GoG to Steam specifically for this game, but I would think it's possible. Just how much easier it would be from Steam only, not sure.

Edit: Hmmm, I don't see the no DRM regardless of platform. Guess that was another kickstarter? Ah, yes, it was Wasteland 2. Oh well, I don't mind having Steam running before I launch a game...it's pretty much what I use to play all my games so it's my "games folder".
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Is there a setting to make the "ALT to view items on the ground" on by default?

It gets a little old walking around with ALT held down all the time.

On the other hand I LOVE the way it marks containers as "empty" once you've opened them. I can be a little OCD about checking containers and with so many in the game I'd probably check the same one multiple times without that little perk.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Well, to save myself from having to redownload it I guess I'll stick with Steam. Update email I received this morning:
In the past, we've said that launch will nullify your current Steam Early Access key and provide you with a new one for the full release of the game. This process has been amended and also applies to add-on versions of the game (i.e. for those of you who added a digital copy of the game to your original purchase).
IF YOU WANT TO PLAY D:OS ON STEAM, your Early Access code will remain active and you will be able to download the full version of the game using your current Early Access code.
IF YOU WANT TO PLAY D:OS ON GOG, log into your Larian Vault account and scroll down to "Your Rewards in Detail." Find the digital distribution icon and select "Change my digital distribution preference." Following these steps will cancel your Steam Early Access code and provide you with a key for GOG.
Edit: An update is currently downloading for it on Steam. Could it be ready to play?
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Yes, the Beta key turned into the Release key (which only seemed natural to me, given how Steam does Early Access). Mine is downloading right even as we speak!

My friend wasn't really interested in extra key, so I'm willing to part with mine, if anyone is interested. It is a Steam key and I would be willing to sell it at the Steam sale price of $30. It would actually really help me out, as my wife and I just purchased a house and we need a little extra money to update the kitchen appliances! :D

PM me if interested.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yup, playing now, and yes, it made more sense for the way they have it now

Edit: Still getting kickstarter code invalid though for the bonus items
Angnomander

Post by Angnomander »

IceBear wrote:Yup, playing now, and yes, it made more sense for the way they have it now

Edit: Still getting kickstarter code invalid though for the bonus items
My code didn't work either.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah, I was reading on their forums that they have a team of people entering the kickstarter codes into Steam so it could take a few hours. The problem is, it's tied to profile creation and I don't see a way to add it after creating the profile. So if I create a profile and play and then this afternoon the codes work, I'd have to start over with a new profile. Guess I'll wait for a bit, but it's hard :)
Important note: The Kickstarter backer ID database on Steam is currently missing a number of entries and is being updated. In a couple of hours it should recognise the backer ID of everybody. Small team working through a large task list with lots of pressure in an online environment with an internet connection that decided today was a good day to go on strike - bare with us, it'll all be done soon enough ;)

Today is an extremely exciting day here at Larian. After years of developing a game we truly love, we get to release the full version of Divinity: Original Sin to both our amazing backers and to the rest of the gaming world.

It is at once thrilling and nerve-wracking; this vast world will now, for the first time, be explored in its entirety by the public. We can only hope you all have as much fun growing your Source Hunters and solving Rivellon's mysteries as we had developing them.

Without your support via Kickstarter and Early Access, this game would never have reached the level of polish and complexity present in its current form. Your contributions added a world of colour, secrets, enhancements, and depth to the game that has made this what we consider our best game to date.

Below, Swen explains just how grateful we are for your support:
tgb

Post by tgb »

"Hey, Porcupine! Disarm that trap."
"Sure thing, Moe."

Can we have our own music playing in the background? I need 3 Blind Mice while I play.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Just call me Nostradamus! :D
ColdSteel wrote:I was wondering if maybe it had something to do with Divinity: Original Sin perhaps being the launch game for the new GOG Galaxy client. Galaxy is supposed to integrate with the Steam client so that friends can do MP gaming together using both clients. That would make some sense because of the big co-op mode in the game. It also might explain why there's been nothing on GOG about this game at all yet and it's releasing Monday. That's really unusual for GOG so something's up. If this is indeed what's happening they might be having some trouble ironing out kinks because there's been no big announcement yet. We'll see soon enough but it's certainly fun to speculate, anyway.
Larian Kickstarter June 30 Update wrote:Exploring the Galaxy: Larian and GOG team up

We’ve been secretly working on supporting GOG Galaxy, the new online multiplayer platform from GOG.com and are happy to announce that full GOG Galaxy integration will be available for Divinity: Original Sin.

GOG is still working on launching Galaxy, so before that happens, our Kickstarter backers who have selected GOG.com as the digital distribution platform will be able to use Direct IP or LAN options to play in multiplayer. Once GOG Galaxy launches (by the end of August, the folks at GOG tell us), they will be able to take advantage of all the features this DRM-free online gaming platform offers.