Divinity: Original Sin

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

ColdSteel

Re: Divinity: Original Sin

Post by ColdSteel »

Larian said cycles are in. Swen said they could find the $5k they are still short "under a mattress or something". And there's Paypal until the 10th of May so I doubt they'll even have to do that.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Matrix wrote:i am in, i liked their dragon saga and actually finished it. When i finish RPG and it kept my interest to the end, i am almost always in for a second helping.
This is would be more like the Baldurs Gate type look than the Dragon Saga type look. But Divine Divinity was a very good game.
Black Lives Matter
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

Agreed, but this is gonna be awesome (keeping fingers crossed). Love if day//night, weather cycles do make the cut and add up to something fun to work with.
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
ericb

Post by ericb »

I'm really looking forward to this...even chipped in the extra $5 for the HD version of the original Divine Divinity (that will hopefully come out soon so I can start playing and finish it before Original Sin comes out). Not expecting much but it was an excellent game at the time and it was only $5 :)
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster."
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

They got video from Russian conference of preview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cAk9n0J ... e=youtu.be

Seems like its moving along. Some interesting things they mention , the game adapts to your actions. At some point girl killed a town guard, and then all of a sudden undead mobs around werent attacking her. Which even surprised creators of the game, for whom it took a little while to realize that by killing guard, girl was seen by undead as she on their side. While when the guy (its game with 2 characters party) came back from another side of town, he was attacked by the undead.

A lot of interesting points the mention. Ability to talk to animals if you have that skill.
KDH

Post by KDH »

Not sure how many are following this .. but I stumbled across this tidbit on youtube, from Nov 29

essentially .. they are opening ALPHA access to all kickstart backers, regardless of whether you paid extra for that access ... some sort of credit is being offered to those that did, in fact, pay extra

lotta doublespeak ... NOW NOW NOW, LINK LINK LINK, GET IT GET IT GET IT ... ... means soon ...

kickstarter/divinity

divinityoriginalsin.com
Ain't nobody got time for that
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

After a series of experiences with alphas/betas in RPG games, I've come to the realization that I want to stay far, far away from them. My first experience with a game is going to be the best and longest lasting and I've found that for me, if I play RPG alphas and betas, it just ruins the experience for the release version. I've realized that the best thing for me is to just wait and enjoy the complete game without all the broken quests, missing features and bugs. Honestly, although I am REALLY looking forward to this game, I have no desire at all to play an alpha version of it.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Jag

Post by Jag »

I backed it, so i'll check out the Alpha just because I can.
KDH

Post by KDH »

I "participated" in Mount&Blade from about version 0.5 ... it was years still before you heard about developers 'selling' the game while still in development, that you see more of now (from my recollection)... and, while I can fully understand where you're coming from, it was the opposite situation for me with that game ... I drifted away from it the more it solidified as an RPG with quests and goals ... the game had become a horse-mounted combat engine for me, and I wanted it to stay there ...

:horse: Bring on the Black Riders

If I remember correctly, I'm entitled to the full game at version 1 .. but I was offline for @3years with a dead PC when that was finalized, and I don't know how or where I could prove I was worthy ... (seems to me it allowed 3-4 installs) ... currently I have the demo from STEAM for horse-archery withdrawals
Ain't nobody got time for that
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Backed it, but will be waiting for final version.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

So I tried the alpha for 5 minutes. Wow, really nice. I hadn't been paying attention to the development so I had missed that it was Turn Based with Action Points. I really like that...I was expecting it to be real time like Diablo. You also look to control two characters at once at the beginning.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Awesome new article by Eurogamer.

Enlarge Image
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

ColdSteel wrote:Awesome new article by Eurogamer.
My initial impression upon seeing the article:
Eurogamer wrote:"Why Divinity: Original Sin Might Be the RPG You've Been Waiting For"

[Picture of female character with ridiculously enormous and exposed video game boobs]
Jag

Post by Jag »

Game is now in Beta on Steam if you Kickstarted. Going to give it a whirl. They dramatically improved loading times.

OMG the character creation screen. So many options.... :dance:
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Have they mentioned anything about co-op fixes? The last time I tried it we kept getting desynced from each other.
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

I'm staying away from it for as long as possible ^^.

I want the experience to be pure \o/.
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
Jag

Post by Jag »

Matrix

Post by Matrix »

I want the final version, is beta close to that ? As much as i like the game idea of people paying you and then testing game for you, i didnt sign up to be a beta tester.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I'm very interested, but holding off for impressions because Divinity:Dragon Commander was one of my biggest gaming disappointments last year.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Jag

Post by Jag »

tgb wrote:I'm very interested, but holding off for impressions because Divinity:Dragon Commander was one of my biggest gaming disappointments last year.
I could tell Dragon Commander wasn't going to be anything special which is why I never bought it. It seemed like a small appetizer before the main course. DOS is the only Kickstarter i've done and from playing the Beta so far I don't regret it at all. Just from the Beta, I can tell that this game will most likely be the best RPG of 2014.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Co-op works now and is rather amusing. A rough transcript of tonight…

Chris and I were walking through the city trying to solve a murder…and in the process, liberating random goods from the cruel imprisonment in other people’s houses. As we were scouting for more things to save, Chris looked through a window and spotted a naked lady who was CLEARLY going to drown in a bath tub. Chris rushed to the back door to rescue the damsel but it was locked solid. After entering through the main entrance and being reprimanded by the house staff, it was decided that we must attire ourselves as shrubberies and sneak in through the side door. Unfortunately, while the house staff was oblivious to the walking house plants, the inner door was sealed shut as well, and our rescue attempts were in vain. Poor lady.
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

We then stole everything she owned, just so she wouldn't hurt herself with anything else in the house.

And then I punched a cow.
Jag

Post by Jag »

June 20th.

Another video showing what the Kickstarter helped bring.

I can't wait!
Jag

Post by Jag »

More updates:
The full change list is still being typed up at the time of this writing, but here's a short summary for you:

Mac & PC players can now play together.
New 'Laptop Optimized' mode will keep your game running smoothly, whether you're travelling by air, sky, or sea.Touchpad control support is also added.
Steam Cloud saves are active, so you can continue playing your savegames from several devices.
The AI now adapts its tactics to players and the environment, and it can also make use of potions and special arrows.
The treasure generation has been completely revamped.
Pouches allow you to easily organize items in your inventory.
The skill & spell abilities have been revised to better support classless character builds.
Skills and spells can now be “unlearned" and also have requirements.
10 extra talents have been added. Talents now also have requirements.
New skill effects have been added. Go on, summon a spider!
Several quality-of-life improvements including inventory sorting, context-sensitive item menus, a dialog log, action-point usage previews, the ability to use objects from another character’s inventory and more.
Numerous bug fixes and balancing changes.
This will be the best RPG released this year, probably in the last few years as well.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I agree....been dabbling with it the past few days (don't want to play it too much before it's actually out) and it's just good - moveable / destructible objects, environmental and spell effects interaction, team work with your PCs, turn based combat using AP, etc
Jag

Post by Jag »

IceBear wrote:I agree....been dabbling with it the past few days (don't want to play it too much before it's actually out) and it's just good - moveable / destructible objects, environmental and spell effects interaction, team work with your PCs, turn based combat using AP, etc
My one and only quibble is that the characters move too slow, although there are some speed modifiers in game. I think my impatience with slower walking speed is solely due to MMOs where you have to run everywhere. Years of doing that made me hate traveling long distances for no reason.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I saw travel portals, but yeah kept expecting double click to make them run
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

$32 in yesterday's Steam Sale. Launch is June 30th. What's the word? Is this awesome? It looks awesome.

How captivating is the multiplayer? Does it have a good story with lots of choice that would make it a good candidate to duo?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Jag

Post by Jag »

Sudy Nym wrote:$32 in yesterday's Steam Sale. Launch is June 30th. What's the word? Is this awesome? It looks awesome.

How captivating is the multiplayer? Does it have a good story with lots of choice that would make it a good candidate to duo?
Not sure about multi, but the game is awesome. This will also be the only sale price until release, but it will also be on GoG too. Really the next iteration of games that started with Ultima, BG and now this. It is really that good for the RPG fan who has been waiting for a classic. I'm trying not to play the Beta because I don't want to dilute my first play through. I haven't been this excited about a game in many many years.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Sudy Nym wrote:
In short, yes. This comes with a condition though. This is an old style turn based RPG with a lot of dialogue. It's great as long as you find a like minded person to play with but I imagine it would be horrible if one person wanted to read everything and get into the story and the other just wanted to rush around and kill everything. Something to keep in mind.

If you look a few posts above you can read a little about Chris and my antics in co-op.
Montag

Post by Montag »

I have only been through a portion of the what is available in the beta stage and I already got my money's worth. I like the art style and the music is very good and is not the type that you would grow tired of.

Plenty of challenge.
words
naednek

Post by naednek »

Soooo

I know this will make people want to shoot me, but I need to know...

I didn't like Balder's Gate, IceWind Dale, etc, but enjoyed Dragon Age 1. I know that wasn't turned based, but you could pause and issue commands.

Knowing that, do you think this is a game I would enjoy? Mind you, I really didn't like RPG's until some time in the 2000's. And even then it's more casual.

I'm thinking I should just wait till next year's deals when this will eventually show up.

Thanks for already answering my questions :P
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

How does this compare to Divine Divinity?
Black Lives Matter
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I’m not sure how you could like DA but not Baldur’s Gate since DA is basically BG3 but in 3D with full voice acting.

I would say Divinity is pretty hardcore. You have a ton of freedom, tens of skills, crafting and the freedom to kill almost anyone in the game and still complete the main storyline if you built your character correctly. Of course, this freedom means that you can probably also break the game to the point where you have to restart if you do something really stupid. The number of options you have to complete objectives in Divinity is actually closest to the original Fallouts. See a locked door in your path? Assuming you have the right skills/stats, you can bribe someone to open it, pick the lock, steal the key or use a sledgehammer to bash the door down.

Combat is true turn based. You move then the enemy moves, no exceptions. This allows you to setup some pretty cool combos. If you cause it to rain or somehow flood an area you can then electrify the puddle under a character or multiple characters. Oil on the floor burns. Obstacles can also be blocked by moving objects in the environment.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Lordnine wrote:I’m not sure how you could like DA but not Baldur’s Gate since DA is basically BG3 but in 3D with full voice acting.
Change of taste. BG came out much earlier than DA
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
RMC

Post by RMC »

Well I caved and bought this from the sale yesterday. Just installed it a bit ago, what is missing from this version compared to the release in two weeks?

I am guessing I will wait until it is released until I play, since it is so close, but might play with the character creator.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

RMC wrote:Well I caved and bought this from the sale yesterday. Just installed it a bit ago, what is missing from this version compared to the release in two weeks?

I am guessing I will wait until it is released until I play, since it is so close, but might play with the character creator.
If I’m not mistaken it’s the addition of voice acting and the last ¼ of the game.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Lordnine wrote:
RMC wrote:Well I caved and bought this from the sale yesterday. Just installed it a bit ago, what is missing from this version compared to the release in two weeks?

If I’m not mistaken it’s the addition of voice acting and the last ¼ of the game.
Nice. I almost didn't buy it because I have more than a few 'early access' games that I own now, but 'turn based combat RPG' means that I purchase it... And IceBear bought it, I buy everything that guy buys. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Jag

Post by Jag »

RMC wrote:
Lordnine wrote:

Nice. I almost didn't buy it because I have more than a few 'early access' games that I own now, but 'turn based combat RPG' means that I purchase it... And IceBear bought it, I buy everything that guy buys. :)
Be careful about following Icebear. He once told me about this new game called "World of Warcraft". That was 10 years ago and I'm still playing. :roll:

BUT he is correct about Divinity. Just fire up the beta to get a feel for it and I challenge you to say we are wrong about it!
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I kickstarted it, so that's my excuse for the early access... I am trying to avoid early access games... Yeah, that's the ticket