Divinity: Original Sin

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

ColdSteel

Re: Divinity: Original Sin

Post by ColdSteel »

Scuzz wrote:What do "debuff" potions do? I don't see why you would debuff yourself?
Actually, I think they're only useful for crafting arrows, bombs, etc.
Scuzz wrote:Is there a "heal Poison" or "stop poison" potion?
There's a low level Marksman spell that stops it. Also, the avatar of poison spell does the same. Those are the ones I use.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I have discovered how to make my own swords worth $199 gold each in the market, which is nice. I also have figured out how to make poison arrows. Now I need to figure out how to make fire arrows.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Scuzz wrote:I have discovered how to make my own swords worth $199 gold each in the market, which is nice. I also have figured out how to make poison arrows. Now I need to figure out how to make fire arrows.
I have ridiculous amounts of geld in Act 2, so unless you can make some uber weapons I don't see much need for this.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Well, right now it is an easy way to afford a spellbook that may benefit me in the near future. Plus the materials needed are plentiful.

I do have one character who is pretty much limited to range weapons, and poison and fire arrows do pretty good damage against some enemies.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

One thing I have seen in this game that I don't recall seeing in any other game is something I have noticed the enemy AI doing. In situations with multiple enemies they will actually move to block attacks on magic users or bosses. I noticed it early on but didn't realize how common it was tell just a couple nights ago.

In a fight with 2 warriors, 2 archers and a magic user, the warriors will often align themselves in a direct line between your archers or magic users and their magic users. It prevents your archer from hitting them, and some magic spells as well. Pretty damn smart.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Scuzz wrote:One thing I have seen in this game that I don't recall seeing in any other game is something I have noticed the enemy AI doing. In situations with multiple enemies they will actually move to block attacks on magic users or bosses. I noticed it early on but didn't realize how common it was tell just a couple nights ago.

In a fight with 2 warriors, 2 archers and a magic user, the warriors will often align themselves in a direct line between your archers or magic users and their magic users. It prevents your archer from hitting them, and some magic spells as well. Pretty damn smart.
Three of my characters have charm, so I just turn the meat shields around against their own casters.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

Jaymann wrote:
Scuzz wrote:One thing I have seen in this game that I don't recall seeing in any other game is something I have noticed the enemy AI doing. In situations with multiple enemies they will actually move to block attacks on magic users or bosses. I noticed it early on but didn't realize how common it was tell just a couple nights ago.

Three of my characters have charm, so I just turn the meat shields around against their own casters.
Also drop a few summons behind them and really mess them up.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

*WARNING - MAJOR BUG!!!*

So I went to sell to a merchant and all my gold was gone! (I had over $65k) Even when I sold something I still have 0 gold. Fortunately I have a lot of items to barter with but that really sucks! Unfortunately, I was using only quick saves so I can't go back to an earlier save.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Jaymann wrote:So I went to sell to a merchant and all my gold was gone!
Have you seen that reported elsewhere as a bug? Any chance you may have inadvertently sent it to your homestead chest or left it on one of your other characters? I know I did that once.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

ColdSteel wrote:
Jaymann wrote:So I went to sell to a merchant and all my gold was gone!
Have you seen that reported elsewhere as a bug? Any chance you may have inadvertently sent it to your homestead chest or left it on one of your other characters? I know I did that once.
No, but I did not do a search for it. I checked all my characters and the homestead. However, when I switched to my other main for bartering, she has been able to retain gold. I did a test with the first main and he is still glitched, go figure. I will be doing more named saves going forward.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

Jaymann wrote:*WARNING - MAJOR BUG!!!*

So I went to sell to a merchant and all my gold was gone! (I had over $65k) Even when I sold something I still have 0 gold. Fortunately I have a lot of items to barter with but that really sucks! Unfortunately, I was using only quick saves so I can't go back to an earlier save.
Did you check your save files? I think they make multiple quick save files so you can't accidentally screw one up.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jag wrote:
Jaymann wrote:*WARNING - MAJOR BUG!!!*

Did you check your save files? I think they make multiple quick save files so you can't accidentally screw one up.
I've already moved on and have over $35k gold again. More irritating than anything else. However, I am now saving before and after selling.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

So it took three tries but I got by Braccus Rex last night. With almost any tough fight the first go round is just trying to figure out a strategy that will work against the opponent. Having three of my four characters able to use a wide variety of spells really helps in these fights.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Scuzz wrote:So it took three tries but I got by Braccus Rex last night. With almost any tough fight the first go round is just trying to figure out a strategy that will work against the opponent. Having three of my four characters able to use a wide variety of spells really helps in these fights.
I recently took him down fairly easily with a party of three (one of my mains took lone wolf) with the following strategy:

1) Got my party to level 10 (finished everything else in Cyseal and a brief incursion into Luculla).
2) Popped two summoned at the gate chokepoint.
3) Teleported Braccus back out the first time he got through.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Just ran into the Guardian.
Ummmmm.....yea........been trying to figure this one out for awhile.
I am definitely high level enough, and I know there is a (not so recommended) way to 1 shot him, but there has to be a strategy that I'm missing.....
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jaymann wrote:
Scuzz wrote:So it took three tries but I got by Braccus Rex last night. With almost any tough fight the first go round is just trying to figure out a strategy that will work against the opponent. Having three of my four characters able to use a wide variety of spells really helps in these fights.
I recently took him down fairly easily with a party of three (one of my mains took lone wolf) with the following strategy:

1) Got my party to level 10 (finished everything else in Cyseal and a brief incursion into Luculla).
2) Popped two summoned at the gate chokepoint.
3) Teleported Braccus back out the first time he got through.
Yea, that chokepoint is the key, along with 2 resurrections and a summons for me. I have also been using the teleport often both for enemies and in a couple instances as a way of pulling a member of my party out of trouble. Sure they take damage but better hurt than dead.

I am level 9.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

stimpy wrote:Just ran into the Guardian.
Ummmmm.....yea........been trying to figure this one out for awhile.
I am definitely high level enough, and I know there is a (not so recommended) way to 1 shot him, but there has to be a strategy that I'm missing.....
I was able to defeat him with three summoned plus fire wands. I also saw it suggested to set up a trap with oil barrels and ignite them. That worked for me against Pontius Pirate.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I am level 10 in the Luculla Forest, and that area with the Goblins beyond the bridge is a bitch.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Scuzz wrote:I am level 10 in the Luculla Forest, and that area with the Goblins beyond the bridge is a bitch.
Indeed. I think you can work towards the white witch for a while first.

One of my playthroughs got bugged to the point where it crashes every time I try to zone. I even upgraded my graphics driver and uninstalled/reinstalled the game - no dice. I started a new game (on hard) and everything works fine. It is possible I glitched it by getting too cute:
Spoiler:
You are supposed to do the immaculate trial before going to the immaculate village. I realized after beating a troll guarding the bridge to the orc town zone that I could go from the orc zone across the other bridge into the immaculate village. They shouldn't allow you to do that if it will break the game.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

There are I think 3 different ways to get into that village, Silverglen? Unless you are talking about a different place.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Scuzz wrote:There are I think 3 different ways to get into that village, Silverglen? Unless you are talking about a different place.
Actually I was referring to accessing Sacred Stone Village through The Phantom Forest (not recommended!).
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jaymann wrote:
Scuzz wrote:There are I think 3 different ways to get into that village, Silverglen? Unless you are talking about a different place.
Actually I was referring to accessing Sacred Stone Village through The Phantom Forest (not recommended!).
Okay, I haven't found that yet. I went into Silverglen, talked to everyone and then just started walking, that's how I found the King Troll Cave (which must require something because I can't find the inner passage) and the damn Goblins by the bridge.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Was able to complete the EE game on hard mode (just in time for games finished in 2015) with:

2 wand dual wielders with level 5 witchcraft plus level 1 Hydro for regen
Jahan (Caster)
Bairdotr (Bows)

Due to the extra mobs per battle I was able to reach level 21 and pretty much walked over the final boss.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I started Divinity OS for the third time yesterday, this time on PS4. Same game, bigger screen. :)

I'm trying SO damn hard to like this game, but every time I get to the first town where you meet 574 NPCs and get 132 quests (all with very little guidance or direction) within 30 minutes, I just simply feel...overwhelmed.

Is there a way to, I dunno, streamline the questing a bit so it isn't just all one massive quest dump?  Or is that just kinda the way it is?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

One way is to really only ask questions of PC's with real names. Another is to visit the whole town, find the important people and start from there. Once you get a full party, assuming that's what you want, head out to explore. Try the west city gate first.

I now have my party at level 13, and am fighting the spiders. At this point I probably don't need to but what the heck. I have been so close to killing the Spider Queen several times but at this point I am just working around her.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Scuzz wrote:One way is to really only ask questions of PC's with real names. Another is to visit the whole town, find the important people and start from there. Once you get a full party, assuming that's what you want, head out to explore. Try the west city gate first.

I now have my party at level 13, and am fighting the spiders. At this point I probably don't need to but what the heck. I have been so close to killing the Spider Queen several times but at this point I am just working around her.
Yeah, I came back much later for the Spider Queen. It also helps if you can find Immune to Slow items, I had 3 of 4 so equipped.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

Scuzz wrote:I now have my party at level 13, and am fighting the spiders. At this point I probably don't need to but what the heck. I have been so close to killing the Spider Queen several times but at this point I am just working around her.
You should be able to take her down at 13. Ignore the adds and kill her. Summoning creatures always is a huge plus (in pretty much every encounter).
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

So my guys are all at level 16 now. I just killed everybody who isn't human in Hunters Edge. I guess I didn't need to do that but it just kinda turned out that way.

There was one room that I could see from the Tavern Basement but I just couldn't figure out how to get into it. I may go back and try one more time. While there I may kill all the mountain warriors just for the XP.
Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

Scuzz wrote:There was one room that I could see from the Tavern Basement but I just couldn't figure out how to get into it. I may go back and try one more time. While there I may kill all the mountain warriors just for the XP.
If it is the room I am thinking of,
Spoiler:
then the entrance is in the Commander room. In the top left corner. Move the mouse around and I think it will change to show that you can interact with it. You will need to distract the Commander and her lackey to sneak in. Pretty sure it's a treasure room.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jag wrote:
Scuzz wrote:There was one room that I could see from the Tavern Basement but I just couldn't figure out how to get into it. I may go back and try one more time. While there I may kill all the mountain warriors just for the XP.
If it is the room I am thinking of,
Spoiler:
then the entrance is in the Commander room. In the top left corner. Move the mouse around and I think it will change to show that you can interact with it. You will need to distract the Commander and her lackey to sneak in. Pretty sure it's a treasure room.
I have killed them so I will go back and take a look. It should be under that room.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Also, most rooms you can see into, the mage can teleport someone in...
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jaymann wrote:Also, most rooms you can see into, the mage can teleport someone in...
I have a scroll for that but haven't been able to incorporate it into a spell book yet, so I am saving it. I could use the spell that causes damage though, I have used that. But you have to be able to "see" into the area you want to transport the "victim" into. So a clear view, by the sorcerer is required.
Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

Jaymann wrote:Also, most rooms you can see into, the mage can teleport someone in...
Teleport doesn't work great through doors, although it can work through some bars.

The other trick is to toss one of the teleport pyramids through the bars and use the other to click through.

Abusing the pyramids is one of the most fun things in the game. Especially in combat :D
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jag wrote:
Teleport doesn't work great through doors, although it can work through some bars.

The other trick is to toss one of the teleport pyramids through the bars and use the other to click through.

Abusing the pyramids is one of the most fun things in the game. Especially in combat :D
I did use the "tossing pyramid" method in another area, and I was surprised it work.

I was able to find a secret "switch" I had missed somehow before.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I am in the Source Temple and I have run into a problem. At least according to the walkthrus I have checked.

1) The broken mirror portal does not acknowledge me. Nothing.

2) The door with the head will not let me pass.

I have 13 inert and blood stones. One walkthru says I need 12 and one says I need 14. So I apparently missed one and am stuck?
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Scuzz wrote:I am in the Source Temple and I have run into a problem. At least according to the walkthrus I have checked.

I have 13 inert and blood stones. One walkthru says I need 12 and one says I need 14. So I apparently missed one and am stuck?
Go back to the homestead and talk to everyone. That worked for me.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jaymann wrote:
Scuzz wrote:I am in the Source Temple and I have run into a problem. At least according to the walkthrus I have checked.

Do all the Blood Stones need to be turned into Inert Stones? The walkthrus seem to vary on that as well.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Scuzz wrote:
Jaymann wrote:

Do all the Blood Stones need to be turned into Inert Stones? The walkthrus seem to vary on that as well.
I think so, yes. They also give exp, so you might level.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Well I went to the Goblin Village and got a 14th Stone and it made no difference. I went to Homestead and talked to ZixxZaxx, Icara and the Teller of Secrets. No good.

There does seem to be a lot of portals in Homestead I haven't opened but I have no idea how.

I guess I will try to figure out which Star Stone I missed, there are 15 total I guess and see if that makes a difference.

Okay...it looks like my problem is I have never stopped the attack on Homestead and I need to do that first. I know where to go to do that. Hopefully that is the answer.
Black Lives Matter
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Jaymann wrote:Was able to complete the EE game on hard mode
Was that hard mode Tactician or Honour?
I'm a seasoned RPGr and was wondering about the do-ability of Honour mode.
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.