Divinity: Original Sin

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Tao

Re: Divinity: Original Sin

Post by Tao »

Restarted the game for a 3rd time a few days ago; created two mages, took Jahan and Bairdotr and was rolling along doing pretty well until I hit Sparkmaster. Wiped my entire party in ONE hit twice, was ready to shelve the game, and yes
Spoiler:
I read the manual Ahru gives you and understood the discharge sequence to shut down his bolt. I also took out both mages as my first targets and yet he still managed to fire it off. Third attempt I used the exact same tactics and no bolt...
read that the particular boss could be buggy so after finally defeating him I figured I would plow through a bit more, made it to level 6...Raddagoth, seriously :grund: I get that this is an optional fight but...
Spoiler:
he immediately summons in 6 henchmen, all of whom have higher initiative than my entire party. They immediately kill off one member and normally 2 ( I got lucky once and the golem summoned a little to far to attack in round 1) and then Raddaogth charms a third party member...all before I even get to take a single action.
If this is indicative of the rest of the boss battles I think I may be done. I don't mind having to replay a battle because I played poorly or made a bad tactical call but having to have foreknowledge of every tough fight so I can pre-stage my party is pretty cheesy.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I got wiped my first time against sparky, but I came back with electric protection scrolls and charmed his mages. Also I would recommend doing all the quests in Cyseal and clearing most of the map around Cyseal before moving on. Level 6 may not be enough club.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Tao wrote:If this is indicative of the rest of the boss battles I think I may be done. I don't mind having to replay a battle because I played poorly or made a bad tactical call but having to have foreknowledge of every tough fight so I can pre-stage my party is pretty cheesy.
Its not. That boss is a new one that they added in the Enhanced Edition and he's one of the toughest boss fights I've run into so far. If you have the witchcraft adept destroy summon spell (or scrolls) that would help a lot. I didn't so I just tried to kill the boss as fast as possible so he couldn't summon any more. Took two tries but I got though it. It helps to have lots of CC and ranged, which I did. It also helps to use a character with high lore to examine all the mobs and see what their elemental weaknesses are and then attack those.

As for Sparkmaster, that was probably the easiest boss fight I've had. I just kept him burning/stunned the whole fight. I don't think he even got off a single attack.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Tao

Post by Tao »

The first two times I fought Sparkmaster my party was at full health, all the adds were dead and I was just pounding on the bot, then he fired his ultimate and killed everyone in one hit. That happened twice, the third attempt I beat him using same tactics and prevented him from using his ultimate, think I took one hit from his rockets. I agree, when the fight mechanics work as intended it's a pretty easy fight, just took me three tries for that to occur, will chalk it up to a minor bug.

I have yet to find any tactic against Raddaogth simply because I never get a turn, he summons immediately once the conversation breaks, his summons all get a turn and I am typically left with one party member standing. I have the charm skill and destroy summon skill, again I don't get an opportunity to do anything before 3/4 of my party is dead. Suppose I will either skip the fight entirely or just come back later, although he is only level 6 so I don't see as it would be worth much coming back once I am over-leveled.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Tao wrote:because I never get a turn, he summons immediately once the conversation breaks, his summons all get a turn and I am typically left with one party member standing.
It sounds like you do not have nearly enough initiative. I always look for gear with +1 or +2 initiative and equip that. Especially on my mages. If they go first they can CC the enemy before they can attack, summon, etc. It's very, very important to have high initiative. If you've been saving up the good equipment you find, try swapping in the +initiative gear for this fight and see if that helps. In my fights, I make sure my buffing mage has high initiative so she can cast oath of desecration, wildfire and bless on my fighter before his turn. All 4 of my party aways go first in all fights except in rare circumstances. In general I load up on speed and initiative so I can go first and do a lot of stuff when I do.

All that said, I don't think you can stop him from going first and summoning. That may be scripted. You should be able to go before all his summons do though. At least I did when I fought him. I used mass effect grenades to deal with them I think. Fire and poison cloud grenades usually combine into a glorious mess when tossed one after the other. I have the pinpoint perk on my rogue so that helps with that. Poison cloud and fire arrows work too. Another benefit of that is he will go invisible at times and the grenades/arrows will break his stealth when he takes any damage.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Arhu made the spark master. Maybe talk to him about it...
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

So after playing Dark Souls 2 for the last couple months I decided it was time to move on. I was surprised to go to my Steam library to discover that I not only had Divinity:Original Sin but I also had the Enhanced Version. I bought D:OS last winter, but I was not part of the kickstarter and so didn't expect the Enhanced Version. I can't play it anyway due to my computers limitations but it is cool to have. I also have a DLC I didn't pay for attached to D:OS.

So I loaded D:OS and played for about 2 hours last night. It always takes a little while to get used to the turn based system but I love the game the so far. I have explored the town and find myself now in Homestead.

I do think there is probably one hell of a learning curve with this game.
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I'm really liking the game, although I had my first crash (on the PS4) last night. A question about my progress:
Spoiler:
I tried fighting Baccus Rex once and got my ass kicked so just left and have been progressing in my search for the White Witch in Hiberium. Presumably at some point I'll go back to that fight, but will not killing him hinder my progress in the story at some point?
Black Lives Matter
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Yes, killing him is part of advancing the main story. I think you will need to in order to advance the story properly, though I could be wrong. I know that killing him triggers further interactions with the cat mage who gives you further quest goals.

If you're having trouble with that fight, I'd suggest that a creative and strategic arrangement of nearby lighting fixtures in a certain doorway may be of some assistance. :D
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

IceBear wrote:Tip, if you have a stack of small healing potions, separate them and then put them back together.

How do you separate them? I haven't figured out how to do that yet.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Scuzz wrote:
IceBear wrote:Tip, if you have a stack of small healing potions, separate them and then put them back together.

Right click on them.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jaymann wrote:
Scuzz wrote:

Right click on them.

I am at work so this is by memory but I remember right clicking giving me the option to use the item, drop the item, discard the item or to send it to another member of my party. Is there an option there I could misinterpret? Some additional command or click?
Black Lives Matter
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Scuzz wrote:
Jaymann wrote:
Scuzz wrote:

Right click on them.

I am at work so this is by memory but I remember right clicking giving me the option to use the item, drop the item, discard the item or to send it to another member of my party. Is there an option there I could misinterpret? Some additional command or click?
You split stacks by using shift-click and dragging to another inventory spot.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

When I right click a stack I get an option to split them. A change in EE?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I think so. I forgot that you needed to shift click before the EE. Pretty sure that if you right click on a stack now you get an option to split
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Actually, both methods work for the EE. The loading tip you see when loading up the game says to click-drag to split stacks but right clicking a stack does the same thing (one of the options on the resulting menus is 'split').
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jaymann wrote:When I right click a stack I get an option to split them. A change in EE?
I am not playing EE, although my "vanilla" version seems to have done some "self updating" via Steam as I have had a DLC added that I didn't pay for. i was given the EE version but my PC can't handle the requirements for it so I started with the original game.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

ColdSteel wrote:Actually, both methods work for the EE. The loading tip you see when loading up the game says to click-drag to split stacks but right clicking a stack does the same thing (one of the options on the resulting menus is 'split').
I remembered seeing that when the game was loading but when it came time to try it out couldn't remember what it was. So I knew it was possible.

Thanks guys.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Okay, now I need to figure out the crafting.

I have played Divine Divinity so I am aware of the various things the game will let you play, I just haven't figured out the mechanics yet. I do have a character with crafting and blacksmithing. How do I use those?
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Scuzz wrote:Okay, now I need to figure out the crafting.

I have played Divine Divinity so I am aware of the various things the game will let you play, I just haven't figured out the mechanics yet. I do have a character with crafting and blacksmithing. How do I use those?
I wanted to craft some non-slip boots by combining boots with nine inch nails at one of those anvils. I did not want to spend the points on crafting, so after leveling a bit, I invited one of the companions I do not plan on using. Cranked her up points in crafting plus some + crafting items and that did the trick.

I have not tried blacksmithing, but I assume you combine the templates with something else.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Jaymann wrote:I have not tried blacksmithing, but I assume you combine the templates with something else.
I believe blacksmithing is used for creating and improving weapons and armor and crafting is used for everything else. Smelting ore is blacksmithing as well. You can easily get up to +3 crafting and blacksmithing via traits, equipment and the "scientist" talent without investing any ability points in it. I keep my crafting gear in a bag and put in on only when I need to craft something.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

When you send items to your homestead, where do they show up? I thought they would be in the chest near the dining table, but not so.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

Easy to use pdf of all crafting recipes. Not sure if it was updated for the EE, so a few things may have changed.

Crafting is fun. For example, you can make lockpicks out of old keys + soap. I like the fact that items have some utility even after they are used.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Is crafting done by dragging items together or do I need to be in a specific place to do that?
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Scuzz wrote:Is crafting done by dragging items together or do I need to be in a specific place to do that?
You need to click on an anvil and boxes will show up to drag items into.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jaymann wrote:
Scuzz wrote:Is crafting done by dragging items together or do I need to be in a specific place to do that?
You need to click on an anvil and boxes will show up to drag items into.
Okay...what about crafting potions?
Black Lives Matter
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Jaymann wrote:When you send items to your homestead, where do they show up?
Each of 2 your characters has their own homestead bedroom. The items will be in the chest there belonging to the character that sent it.
In the EE, there is a snazzy new crafting menu in the inventory screen. Major improvement there over the original version. If you are playing the original game, you are still going to have to drag and drop items to craft, unfortunately.
Jag

Post by Jag »

ColdSteel wrote:In the EE, there is a snazzy new crafting menu in the inventory screen. Major improvement there over the original version. If you are playing the original game, you are still going to have to drag and drop items to craft, unfortunately.
I really like the new crafting interface. Loving the EE. I can't remember the last game I actually played twice.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Jag wrote:Loving the EE. I can't remember the last game I actually played twice.
Yeah, I love this game. Most RPGs start to feel like a real chore after a while but for some reason this one never seems to lose appeal. At level 15 with my guys now and have just unlocked the Homestead merchant. I have so many tactical options for battles now it's just ridiculous. Master level spells are fun. :D

I got something with +3 constitution on it and gave it to my main mage character. It doubled her HP so I gave her Glass Cannon too. She now gets an extra 4 AP per turn in battles, which is significant as she now gains 13 per turn. She has 21 INT as well now. My other mage has 20. Fun stuff.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

After finding the west gate I finally found some enemies I could kill. Things went well until I got to the lighthouse. That opening fight kicked my ass. So I gave up and went north, and ran into probably 10 enemies who again, kicked my ass. So I went east and found the well. Hurrah, I won a fight.

Can you trade out one of your original two party members for another character? Even on a temp basis?
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Scuzz wrote:After finding the west gate I finally found some enemies I could kill. Things went well until I got to the lighthouse. That opening fight kicked my ass. So I gave up and went north, and ran into probably 10 enemies who again, kicked my ass. So I went east and found the well. Hurrah, I won a fight.

Can you trade out one of your original two party members for another character? Even on a temp basis?
No, you can only do that by a re-roll. You can change the 4 companions at will.
Last edited by Jaymann on Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

So I guess I just found the "final" companion option?

I guess I need my battlemage to get more bad ass then. :)
Black Lives Matter
morlac

Post by morlac »

Jaymann wrote:
Scuzz wrote:Okay, now I need to figure out the crafting.

I wanted to craft some non-slip boots by combining boots with nine inch nails at one of those anvils. I did not want to spend the points on crafting, so after leveling a bit, I invited one of the companions I do not plan on using. Cranked her up points in crafting plus some + crafting items and that did the trick.

I have not tried blacksmithing, but I assume you combine the templates with something else.

Hmm, neat trick.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

So all my characters are level 6 now and I think I finally have got the hang of this game. I have learned to kite the pyramid/retreat option in battles and things are much easier as you don't have to take down everyone in one fight.

I still haven't solved the murder mystery but I know who the suspects are, and that one of them (at least) is much more than she pretends to be.
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Scuzz wrote:So all my characters are level 6 now and I think I finally have got the hang of this game. I have learned to kite the pyramid/retreat option in battles and things are much easier as you don't have to take down everyone in one fight.

I still haven't solved the murder mystery but I know who the suspects are, and that one of them (at least) is much more than she pretends to be.
Levels 6-9 seemed to go pretty easy for me.
Then.....things heat up.
Literally........
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Or cool down...
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

A word of caution:

Make sure you collect at least 14 of the 16 (or all) blood stones/star stones. Pick up the inert ones after they blast. I got to the final door and somehow did not have enough to get through. Blood stones cure the rot, but DO NOT use them for that. EDIT: Actually it is OK to use them which converts them to a star stone, as long as you retain the inert stone.

Also, it is not enough just to have them in your inventory, you must visit all the rooms/talk to everyone in the homestead before the door will open.
Last edited by Jaymann on Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jaymann wrote:A word of caution:

Make sure you collect at least 14 of the 16 (or all) blood stones/star stones. Pick up the inert ones after they blast. I got to the final door and somehow did not have enough to get through. Blood stones cure the rot, but DO NOT use them for that.
I played Divine Divinity and it had some of that in it. You could get to the final area and discover your build made one of the battles impossible. Also there was a glitch that could make obtaining something you needed impossible. I had to make changes to my character (thankfully the game let me go back and add a couple levels to my character) and dl'd a code thing and change a few lines before I could finish that game.
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Between the earlier hint to block a certain doorway, and to cool things down, that fight turned out to be pretty easy.
Onward!!!
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

What do "debuff" potions do? I don't see why you would debuff yourself?

Is there a "heal Poison" or "stop poison" potion?
Black Lives Matter