Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Greybriar

Re: PC Gaming Randomness

Post by Greybriar »

JetFred wrote:I don't see how you grown-ups get to play that much. Since I have 2+ jobs, all I can do is buy games, not actually play them.
I'm retired, no kids, no debts, and lots of time on my hands.
The education of a man is never completed until he dies. --Robert E. Lee
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Greybriar wrote: I'm retired, no kids, no debts, and lots of time on my hands.
Nice. You sir, are living my dream.
I've got the 'no kids' part down, but that damn heart attack in 2015 fucked up the rest of it.
So, I'm relegated to gaming on my days off.
But my girlfriend usually comes over for those days, and says I'm "shutting her out" every time I fire up a game, so I can't really enjoy it like I should, or game for any length of time, like I'd like to.

It takes a perfect combination of a day off, plus the gf being too busy to come over, and those two requirements happening simultaneously are fairly rare.

Also, on the rare occasion when she comes over and has things to do on her own computer ("okay honey, you can play your games now"), she insists on having that Hollywood entertainment show on in the background, which is really distracting, loud, and the hosts are incredibly obnoxious. Unfortunately, my PC is in the living room along with the TV, so it doesn't work well. I have headphones, but then she once again claims I'm "shutting her out" when I put them on, and can't talk to me about whatever is on TV at the moment. "Well, yeah. I'm shutting you out so I can play my game!" I've talked about moving the PC into another room, but then, you guessed it, I'm shutting her out. Plus we do watch a lot of streaming Amazon Prime stuff on the PC.

First world life can be difficult.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm single, so relationships don't figure in. People probably assume that since I'm on disability and don't work, I have nothing but time. That was true for the first couple of years after my divorce, but it hasn't been the case for many years now.

I get my time in blocks. For a week, I'll have the kids pretty much every day. Luckily the kids game, and since they have a set time window (usually two hours per day), we all game at the same time. When the kids aren't here, I'm usually busy catching up on the housework and personal projects that were neglected while they were around, and other commitments eat up a lot of time as well. Still, I do get blocks of time in those weeks where I can sometimes game for hours on end. And some other weeks I'm lucky if I can fit an hour in total.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Giles Habibula wrote:
Greybriar wrote: I'm retired, no kids, no debts, and lots of time on my hands.
Nice. You sir, are living my dream.
I've got the 'no kids' part down, but that damn heart attack in 2015 fucked up the rest of it.
So, I'm relegated to gaming on my days off.
But my girlfriend usually comes over for those days, and says I'm "shutting her out" every time I fire up a game, so I can't really enjoy it like I should, or game for any length of time, like I'd like to.

It takes a perfect combination of a day off, plus the gf being too busy to come over, and those two requirements happening simultaneously are fairly rare.

Also, on the rare occasion when she comes over and has things to do on her own computer ("okay honey, you can play your games now"), she insists on having that Hollywood entertainment show on in the background, which is really distracting, loud, and the hosts are incredibly obnoxious. Unfortunately, my PC is in the living room along with the TV, so it doesn't work well. I have headphones, but then she once again claims I'm "shutting her out" when I put them on, and can't talk to me about whatever is on TV at the moment. "Well, yeah. I'm shutting you out so I can play my game!" I've talked about moving the PC into another room, but then, you guessed it, I'm shutting her out. Plus we do watch a lot of streaming Amazon Prime stuff on the PC.

You should talk to Paingod.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Giles Habibula wrote:
I seem to recall reading about that a while back. It was a very long and somewhat complicated thread, IIRC. Thankfully, overall, my girlfriend and I do get along quite well for the most part (we've been together since 1989), and even manage to joke about this aspect of our relationship. It can get tense at times, but blows over pretty quickly, and never actually threatens our relationship.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Trying to finish up Red Solstice, which has been described as real-time XCOM by some. Personally... not really. It can be played as an action RTS, but it also has a tactical mode where you can give individual orders.

I'm at the final mission, and I must have forgot how to destroy a reaper turret, since I can't seem to get past it. I had to watch a walkthru to remember... I need to "snipe" it, then throw rockets at it. While it's active, it's invincible. :-P The rest... I'll have to find out for myself.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Giles Habibula wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:
Giles Habibula wrote: First world life can be difficult.
I seem to recall reading about that a while back. It was a very long and somewhat complicated thread, IIRC. Thankfully, overall, my girlfriend and I do get along quite well for the most part (we've been together since 1989), and even manage to joke about this aspect of our relationship. It can get tense at times, but blows over pretty quickly, and never actually threatens our relationship.
:hawk:
My wife also claims I'm shutting everyone out (we have two kids) when I put my headphones on. Sometimes I need to just to regain some sanity during the day and I let her know that. Most of the time I don't wear them, though, and game without audio when I do it during the day. We've reached a compromise on how I use my time, though. It basically comes down to "I'm going to do this" and she gets to "be angry" which means she wants nothing to do with me and I get more game time. If I maintain a balance, though, she doesn't get the angry part. Balance is about spending time with my family and not just sitting in front of my computer for 12 hours on a Saturday.

There aren't enough hours in the day for me to spend time with my kids, make my wife feel loved, and still clock in a good 6+ hour block of gaming. I play a lot in the evenings, staying up till midnight (she falls asleep around 7:00 and the kids go to bed at 8:00). The only catch is getting up at 5:00am every day.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

GreenGoo wrote:And I of course was kidding. I know you are the master sales chaser and your steam card management helps pay for things as well. Or is that what you meant about "2+ jobs"?
Seriously though, the time I spend sorting bundles and mining cards could be spent gaming. Did I mention (or is it evident) that I have pretty severe OCD?
I have but one advocate.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Am I just remembering Marble Madness to be fun when in fact it wasn't? Why don't I like any of the games on Steam "inspired" by that and Super Monkey Ball? I've got at least Finnish Roller, Hyposphere, InFlux, Lost Marbles, Marble Mountain, Marble Void, Marblize, Mazement, Momentum, Polyball, Space Hole, Spectraball, and Winexy. What the crap? The closest is maybe Marble Mountain.
I have but one advocate.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I remember playing Marble Madness in the arcade a few times. It looked cool, but no, I didn't think it was fun.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I thought it both looked cool and was fun, I just sucked at it, so it wasn't worth the quarters.

On the NES, the it didn't look cools and was controlled by a nintendo controller so it wasn't so fun... Except when you were... um... altered... Then it was the best when your game was over and you got a high score and just rolled the marble around behind the letters.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

I played it on the original GameBoy in non-color. I thought it was fun enough to finish. The difficulty level was just right for me. Challenging, without being too difficult. I bought a few other games with similar gameplay, but never played them.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Interstate '76 was released 20 years ago today. Consider my mind blown.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Still one of my all time favorites. That and Privateer.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have many all time favorite..Privateer is one. So is Master of Orion, DOOM II, System Shock and some others.

I-76 doesn't seem that old. me and friends had a LOT of fun in that game. Wrecking each other until our cars would barely start to pushing each other over cliffs. Back then I loved the graphics. Saw it the other month in a video and wondered how I loved it so but I did. Great memories.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I'm hoping that Steve Jackson can get another PC Car Wars, but Interstate 76 had style. It even had a crazy online mode.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I mean...I can't be the only one interested in a remake, right? Why do we have 37 versions of Call of Duty but no one wants to touch the idea of remaking this classic game? It boggles the mind.

It's funny - when you watch the intro above (re-done in GTA V engine) and then go back and watch the original...it's like looking at Pong. :D
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

It needs a license... The Fast and the Furious: Mounted Gun Edition
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Just wanted to call your attention to Dark Fear, which is probably only about 6 hours long but which I will play to completion. It's a creepy retro adventure game with combat, but if the combat is too hard, it's because you missed something you were supposed to do first.
I have but one advocate.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Smoove_B wrote: remake
Ha! That was great!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

JetFred wrote:Just wanted to call your attention to Dark Fear, which is probably only about 6 hours long but which I will play to completion. It's a creepy retro adventure game with combat, but if the combat is too hard, it's because you missed something you were supposed to do first.
Neat. Putting it on the list.
KDH

Post by KDH »

:coffee: Brenda Romero to receive BAFTA Special Award
By Wesley Yin-Poole Published 31/03/2017

Game designer and writer Brenda Romero will receive the Special Award at this year's BAFTAs.
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
BAFTA said it's in recognition for her "illustrious career in game design, her advocacy for the art and creative process behind game-making, and her commitment to encouraging the next generation of talent in the industry".

Brenda Romero has worked on 47 games, including the Wizardry and Jagged Alliance series, titles in the Def Jam franchise and the Ghost Recon and Dungeons & Dragons series. More recently she created the six game non-digital series The Mechanic is the Message.

Alongside her husband, Doom creator John Romero, Brenda Romero co-owns Romero Games, which is based in Galway, Ireland. She's also Program Director at the University of Limerick MSc in Game Design & Development.

Previous winners of the BAFTA Special Award include former Uncharted writer and director Amy Hennig and Minecraft maker Markus "Notch" Persson.

"Brenda is such a great role model for people wanting to enter the industry and her advocacy for the excellence of creativity within the games industry helps us all," Nick Button-Brown, Chair of BAFTA's Games Committee, said.

A clearly delighted Brenda Romero said: "Genuinely, I am still in a state of shock, having been chosen. I've devoted my life to games - making them, teaching them, playing them - and to receive any honour from the community is incredible. But a BAFTA? It's well beyond anything else."

`·.¸¸.·´´``··._.·`·.¸¸.·´´``··._.·`·.¸¸.·´´``··._.·`·.¸¸.·´´``··._.·`·.¸¸.·´´``··._.·`·.¸¸.·´´``··._.·`·.¸¸.·´´``··._.·`·.¸¸.·´´``··._.·

A huge number of games and game makers are nominated for the 2017 BAFTA Game Awards. Up for best game are Firewatch, Inside, Overwatch, Stardew Valley, Titanfall 2 and Uncharted 4.

As for best British game, we've got Batman: Arkham VR from Rocksteady, Forza Horizon 3 from Playground, No Man's Sky from Hello Games, Overcooked from Ghost Town Games, Planet Coaster from Frontier and Virginia from Variable State.

You can check out the full list of nominations over at the BAFTA website. The ceremony will be livestreamed on Twitch on Thursday, 6th April.
Image <-- Brenda Romero: Gaming for understanding (9:21)
Ain't nobody got time for that
KDH

Post by KDH »

Enlarge Image
:tjg: ... nVidia releases GeForce GTX G-Assist <---video and words
STAY IN THE GAME.
You're 3v4 in an intense round of Rainbow Six Siege when there's a knock at the door. Pizza is here. You can't abandon your team, but that delivery guy isn't going to wait forever, so you go AFK. With GeForce GhostPlay™ you'll never have to compromise again. Next time you need to step away from your PC, AI-enabled GhostPlay will take over, playing at your skill level until your return. You get your pizza. Your team gets your invaluable skills.
CRUSH YOUR ENEMIES
Given up on beating the Nameless King in Dark Souls 3? With BossBoost™, you no longer have to cower in fear when facing down a god of war. Available once per game, BossBoost will crush any enemy you desire and automatically turn on ShadowPlay™, so you can share your ‘victory’ with friends
NVIDIA Nurture
Maintain your health to achieve peak gaming performance. Nurture orders you food, restocks GeForce GTX ENERGY drink, and even purchases gifts for your significant other.

so, yeah, there's this AF thing goin' around
Ain't nobody got time for that
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

That sounds like it would count as cheating.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Check the calendar.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I hear its the time of the year for wild claims.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Doh! :doh:
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rip

Post by Rip »

Was watching someone play Sims 4 and they were on a date and pissed themselves. Then I noticed there is actually an achievement for it.

:shock:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Rip wrote:Was watching someone play Sims 4 and they were on a date and pissed themselves. Then I noticed there is actually an achievement for it.

:shock:
:D
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Why can I never get account creation confirmation or password reset e-mails from MMO companies? They either never arrive in my Inbox, or they take 2-4 hours to show up. Doesn't matter which game it is, if I create a new account or hit the "Forgot my password" link, I may as well just shut down for a few hours because nothing ever comes through.

Can't figure out if it's the company, my ISP, some setting on my end (which I doubt, as I just use Comcast's standard web-based mail system), or something else. It's hugely frustrating, and I have no idea where to start troubleshooting. :grund:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Try using a webmail address as a destination. I think someone around here can get you a Google Inbox invite.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Skinypupy wrote: Can't figure out if it's the company, my ISP, some setting on my end (which I doubt, as I just use Comcast's standard web-based mail system), or something else. It's hugely frustrating, and I have no idea where to start troubleshooting. :grund:
Not sure if it will help, but I had an issue awhile back that was very similar, but it wasn't an MMO company, but something else entirely. I could never get the confirmation emails to appear even if I went and requested another to be sent. I wracked my brain for several weeks trying to figure out why. These were important because it was an email list that everyone was moving to. Turns out my client had stringent spam rules and was doing something I wasn't even aware of and I was only able to catch it if I closed my email client and load up the webmail. I'd request a resend and finally saw it appear. My Dad had a similar problems, but I never managed to get that email to show up for him. In the end, he had to have the administrator delete his account and invite him, which is the only way it worked.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Isgrimnur wrote:Try using a webmail address as a destination. I think someone around here can get you a Google Inbox invite.
You haven't needed an invite for quite some time now. FYI.
-mf
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I found the mother of all goblin rooms in Diablo 3... it was more like a goblin floor. It was the first time I'd encountered one that was on a wide open map. There were thirty goblins. Oh how I wish I didn't prefer to play at a challenging difficulty level... I think I killed five or six.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I don't believe this... a second goblin room. Within half an hour. :shock: And... right after I bumped the difficulty up. And I noticed there was a channeling pylon I missed on my way in. :lol: At least I got a few more of them this time due to the enclosed spaces....

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Those are the best. Of course, I usually get them when I'm on a character that is at the limit of his/her ability. I never get them on my farming character that can utterly destroy.

One thing that I noticed/had limited success with... if you don't charge into the middle, it is sometimes possible to only trigger a few at a time. This may give you the chance to kill a few more.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Oh... and the worst? When you are running a burst build (e.g. Wizard Archon or Crusader Akkhan)... and it runs out while you are trying to kill a goblin. So painful to just sit there and watch the goblin portal because you no longer have the DPS to do anything about it. Had one last night that I missed by a couple of seconds at most. If my Cooldown Reduction was a bit higher...

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I was just looking at the maps I made for Sins of a Solar Empire in 2008. Lots of downloads. Seems I made that account in 2006 and the maps in 2008. I almost couldn't find them this time. They were on Wincustomize. Had fun with them. I guess sometime I should download them so they are never lost to me. I remember my friend making a Warcraft 2 map called Sherwood Forest around 1995 or 1996 and they took it and put it in a store sold map collection. He never got a thing for it. Fun map fun times.

Just a memory or two now.

EDIT: Because my brain always picks the wrong version of forrest or forest. Sometimes I do dessert when I mean desert.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

LordMortis wrote:So I had the urge to break out RailRoad Tycoon II again. I rebought the game is in a RRT suite some years ago digitally to make it friendly with 7x64.
I put a lot of hours into that game over this winter. It is $5 on Steam, just go for it.