Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Kasey Chang

Re: PC Gaming Randomness

Post by Kasey Chang »

Decided to get back into FieldRunners (PC), as I've never beat "Frostbite" level. Somehow I always choke after about 40 or so levels. Turns out, I've been doing it wrong. Hahaha. Some of the layouts shown on Youtube are pretty darn ingenious, and I'm trying to emulate them. Tricky, tricky.

Also got a personal record in Grassland, endless mode (i.e. survival). Thought I was good, but dang, there's a guy on youtube who got to level like 700 (!) and his method was truly genius (basically it's setup, then ONLY goo towers and mortar towers, and just enough gatling to guide the units around. The mortars are basically raining constant nuke down this corridor. And he can repeat the stuff on the other side of the map for double the fun. That's how he got to like 700. I can't even go 200. :D
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Just beat Mudslide map in FieldRunners on easy (100 waves). Lost 5 lives out of 20, but that's my fault. I didn't plan the plasma chain properly.

Mudslide has "plasma" turrets that fires in 4 compass directions, but with one additional trick. If it receives a plasma hit from another turret, it'll spat back out shots as well. So if you have two turrets on the same alignment (horizontal or vertical), you can have them ping-pong shots back and forth, and devastate any enemies in between that's not armored. Add that to goo turrets to slow down the enemy and they basically die in place.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Boss Constructor was on sale, and while I enjoy the construction aspect, I found the need to play Asteroids a bit... frustrating, esp. when the weapons and energy appear to be in VERY short supply, and while research is done, getting modules made are a bit hard, even on EASY mode.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Finished watching the Hobbit again. So I had to reload HoMM 3 Complete again. Sat down and played for 3 hours before taking a break.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Tried to start a couple games, didn't really get into any of them.

Tried to start Alpha Protocol, it's okay, as I went through the training. Haven't went on a real mission yet.

Tried to start Sniper Elite III, decided I really hate controller, will probably try mouse / keyboard again. Tried the shooting course. Meh.

Tried to start Valley, it's pretty gorgeous, as it's action puzzle with no shooting. Did the first chapter, I guess it's okay so far.
KDH

Post by KDH »

Paradox Game Compensation Follow-up
An update to this forum post from Paradox
Spoiler:
Hello all and thanks for your feedback, Following up from yesterday, this will sound a bit schizophrenic but I have really appreciated the reactions from this forum. I have spent the last 24 hours reading your comments and feedback and replying to email (fredrik.wester@paradoxplaza.com for all of you who didn't know it); during this time I came to a couple of conclusions:

1. In regards to the price changes you are absolutely right. You deserve more transparency and better communication from Paradox when it comes to changing of our prices and pricing policy. Therefore I have decided to roll back all price changes made; any price changes will have to be for future products well communicated in advance. I just came off the phone with Steam and they say we can't do the roll-back before the Summer Sale is over (otherwise it would mean we have to take all Paradox products off the summer sale) but it will be done right after. For anyone who bought any of the games during this time (including during the summer sale) we will try to refund (if possible in the Steam platform) or reimburse with games of a value exceeding the difference. If none of this is possible (I do not in detail know the limits to the Steam platform) we will internally calculate the difference in revenue before and after the price change, double the value, and donate the money to the UNHCR.

2. Some of the frustration has been expressed due to our DLC policy and how we handle additional content for our games. Since the release of Crusader Kings 2 (Feb 14, 2012) we have adopted a policy where we release paid content and at the same time content for free even if you do not want to pay for the DLC. This means that if you only paid for the original game, you still have a completely different game today with thousands of additions, upgrades and changes. This doesn't mean you should stop giving us feedback on how we conduct our business but if you straight out just hate our DLC policy I respectfully say that we have to agree to disagree.

3. I have promised myself never to give in to mob mentality; it's one of the worst things I know and a terrible way to convince me. In fact, being a pig-headed CEO of a company that has grown from 7 people to 225 during time I have had the privilege to run it, I have probably from time to time been more prone to say "no" than "yes" when people gang up on me/us to make us change our minds - I guess partly by principle not to cave in due to pressure. In this case, my change of stance has been made from communicating with people who have been active in our community for 10+ years, people who spent thousands of hours in our games and coming to the conclusions you find above.

Finally - as much as I love a good conspiracy theory; to be frank, the whole "Tencent bought 5% of Paradox and now they're all greedy" and "They're now a publicly traded company and therefore do things the market wish for" is below the level of intelligence of this community. I still hold 33.3% in Paradox, I am still CEO, board member and avid gamer. All you need to know is that the buck stops here. All problems/feedback can easily be sent my way, I will not always agree but I promise to listen.

Best
Fred
has more on the previously announced plan to offer customers free games to compensate for an issue surrounding inconsistent price rollbacks.
Spoiler:
Published 07/07/2017 (eurogamer.net)

If you bought a Paradox game between 17th May and 6th July in any currency other than US dollars, you can get a free game or two DLCs.

The publisher offer follows a recent kerfuffle with game pricing. Paradox put up its prices as a result of that old currency fluctuation chestnut, then after players cried foul, rolled back its decision.

Rather than offer players a refund on the price difference, Paradox is offering free games instead.

"After exploring options with our sales partners, we've come to the conclusion that partial refunds (as in, refunding the price difference) aren't practically possible," senior community manager Escher said in a post on the Paradox forum.

The games on offer are:

Stellaris
Hearts of Iron 4
Crusader Kings 2
Europa Universalis 4
Magicka 2
Tyranny

Or, if you prefer, two from the list of the following DLC:

HoI 4: Death or Dishonor
EU 4: Third Rome
CK 2: Monks and Mystics
Stellaris: Utopia
Tyranny: Tales from the Tiers

Should you happen to already own all of the above then the system will credit you equivalent giftable keys. To make your claim, fill in this form.

There is an update from today saying they've mailed everyone who opened a ticket about this with instructions on how to redeem their freebies, and another post from after that saying they will be doing manual redemptions for those having problems with the automated process.

Word is: "As long as it was bought from a partner and your receipt shows you are eligible you will get your game/s. It will just have to be done manually and will take a little longer as we will have to compile all requests before moving forward!"
spotted @ blues
Ain't nobody got time for that
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Kasey Chang wrote:Tried to start a couple games, didn't really get into any of them.

Tried to start Alpha Protocol, it's okay, as I went through the training. Haven't went on a real mission yet.
I really love Alpha Protocol. The level of choice and how it affects the game were really interesting to me.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Nothing is sticking for me much either. I have Horizon ZD which is great but need stuff to go with it or Ill burn out. Hope Shadowrun sticks.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

gbasden wrote:
Kasey Chang wrote:Tried to start a couple games, didn't really get into any of them.

I really love Alpha Protocol. The level of choice and how it affects the game were really interesting to me.
Yeah, Alpha Protocol is one of my favorite games that nobody played.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

coopasonic wrote:
gbasden wrote:

Yeah, Alpha Protocol is one of my favorite games that nobody played.
I've started it more than once and enjoyed what I played... but always got pulled off to something more shiny. On my "get back to someday" list. <cough>
-mf
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I think I've bounced off of it twice.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
KDH

Post by KDH »

For those who pine for Half-Life-Episode3 ..

there is (was?) a post on former Valve writer, Marc Laidlaw's site (which is either getting hammered, or it's been GabeN'd) that offers long-suffering Half-Life fans some closure with a general story outline of Half-Life 2: Episode 3, giving a sense for how the unfinished DLC trilogy was supposed to conclude.. It's not clear if this is authorized, as the names of the characters are all changed, presumably to protect the guilty (the post is written from the PoV of Gertrude Fremont, Ph.D)

but .. The Internet wayback machine has cached a copy

(it's a lot of wurdz)
Spoiler:

Epistle 3
08-25-2017 2:05 AM

Dearest Playa,

I hope this letter finds you well. I can hear your complaint already, “Gertie Fremont, we have not heard from you in ages!” Well, if you care to hear excuses, I have plenty, the greatest of them being I’ve been in other dimensions and whatnot, unable to reach you by the usual means. This was the case until eighteen months ago, when I experienced a critical change in my circumstances, and was redeposited on these shores. In the time since, I have been able to think occasionally about how best to describe the intervening years, my years of silence. I do first apologize for the wait, and that done, hasten to finally explain (albeit briefly, quickly, and in very little detail) events following those described in my previous letter (referred to herewith as Epistle 2).

To begin with, as you may recall from the closing paragraphs of my previous missive, the death of Elly Vaunt shook us all. The Research & Rebellion team was traumatized, unable to be sure how much of our plan might be compromised, and whether it made any sense to go on at all as we had intended. And yet, once Elly had been buried, we found the strength and courage to regroup. It was the strong belief of her brave son, the feisty Alex Vaunt, that we should continue on as his mother had wished. We had the Antarctic coordinates, transmitted by Elly’s long-time assistant, Dr. Jerry Maas, which we believed to mark the location of the lost luxury liner Hyperborea. Elly had felt strongly that the Hyperborea should be destroyed rather than allow it to fall into the hands of the Disparate. Others on our team disagreed, believing that the Hyperborea might hold the secret to the revolution’s success. Either way, the arguments were moot until we found the vessel. Therefore, immediately after the service for Dr. Vaunt, Alex and I boarded a seaplane and set off for the Antarctic; a much larger support team, mainly militia, was to follow by separate transport.

It is still unclear to me exactly what brought down our little aircraft. The following hours spent traversing the frigid waste in a blizzard are also a jumbled blur, ill-remembered and poorly defined. The next thing I clearly recall is our final approach to the coordinates Dr. Maas has provided, and where we expected to find the Hyperborea. What we found instead was a complex fortified installation, showing all the hallmarks of sinister Disparate technology. It surrounded a large open field of ice. Of the Hypnos itself there was no sign…or not at first. But as we stealthily infiltrated the Disparate installation, we noticed a recurent, strangely coherent auroral effect–as of a vast hologram fading in and out of view. This bizarre phenomenon initially seemed an effect caused by an immense Disparate lensing system, Alex and I soon realized that what we were actually seeing was the luxury liner Hyperborea itself, phasing in and out of existence at the focus of the Disparate devices. The aliens had erected their compound to study and seize the ship whenever it materialized. What Dr. Maas had provided were not coordinates for where the sub was located, but instead for where it was predicted to arrive. The liner was oscillating in and out of our reality, its pulses were gradually steadying, but there was no guarantee it would settle into place for long–or at all. We determined that we must put ourselves into position to board it at the instant it became completely physical.

At this point we were briefly detained–not captured by the Disparate, as we feared at first, but by minions of our former nemesis, the conniving and duplicitous Wanda Bree. Dr. Bree was not as we had last seen her–which is to say, she was not dead. At some point, the Disparate had saved out an earlier version of her consciousness, and upon her physical demise, they had imprinted the back-up personality into a biological blank resembling an enormous slug. The Bree-Slug, despite occupying a position of relative power in the Disparate hierarchy, seemed nervous and frightened of me in particular. Wanda did not know how her previous incarnation, the original Dr. Bree, had died. She knew only that I was responsible. Therefore the slug treated us with great caution. Still, she soon confessed (never able to keep quiet for long) that she was herself a prisoner of the Disparate. She took no pleasure from her current grotesque existence, and pleaded with us to end her life. Alex believed that a quick death was more than Wanda Bree deserved, but for my part, I felt a modicum of pity and compassion. Out of Alex’s sight, I might have done something to hasten the slug’s demise before we proceeded.

Not far from where we had been detained by Dr. Bree, we found Jerry Maas being held in a Disparate interrogation cell. Things were tense between Jerry and Alex, as might be imagined. Alex blamed Jerry for his mother’s death…news of which, Jerry was devastated to hear for the first time. Jerry tried to convince Alex that he had been a double agent serving the resistance all along, doing only what Elly had asked of him, even though he knew it meant he risked being seen by his peers–by all of us–as a traitor. I was convinced; Alex less so. But from a pragmatic point of view, we depended on Dr. Maas; for along with the Hyperborea coordinates, he possessed resonance keys which would be necessary to bring the liner fully into our plane of existence.

We skirmished with Disparate soldiers protecting a Dispar research post, then Dr. Maas attuned the Hyperborea to precisely the frequencies needed to bring it into (brief) coherence. In the short time available to us, we scrambled aboard the ship, with an unknown number of Disparate agents close behind. The ship cohered for only a short time, and then its oscillations resume. It was too late for our own military support, which arrived and joined the Disparate forces in battle just as we rebounded between universes, once again unmoored.

What happened next is even harder to explain. Alex Vaunt, Dr. Maas and myself sought control of the ship–its power source, its control room, its navigation center. The liner’s history proved nonlinear. Years before, during the Disparate invasion, various members of an earlier science team, working in the hull of a dry-docked liner situated at the Tocsin Island Research Base in Lake Huron, had assembled what they called the Bootstrap Device. If it worked as intended, it would emit a field large enough to surround the ship. This field would then itself travel instantaneously to any chosen destination without having to cover the intervening space. There was no need for entry or exit portals, or any other devices; it was entirely self-contained. Unfortunately, the device had never been tested. As the Disparate pushed Earth into the Nine Hour Armageddon, the aliens seized control of our most important research facilities. The staff of the Hyperborea, with no other wish than to keep the ship out of Disparate hands, acted in desperation. The switched on the field and flung the Hyperborea toward the most distant destination they could target: Antarctica. What they did not realize was that the Bootstrap Device travelled in time as well as space. Nor was it limited to one time or one location. The Hyperborea, and the moment of its activation, were stretched across space and time, between the nearly forgotten Lake Huron of the Nine Hour Armageddon and the present day Antarctic; it was pulled taut as an elastic band, vibrating, except where at certain points along its length one could find still points, like the harmonic spots along a vibrating guitar string. One of these harmonics was where we boarded, but the string ran forward and back, in both time and space, and we were soon pulled in every direction ourselves.

Time grew confused. Looking from the bridge, we could see the drydocks of Tocsin Island at the moment of teleportation, just as the Disparate forces closed in from land, sea and air. At the same time, we could see the Antarctic wastelands, where our friends were fighting to make their way to the protean Hyperborea; and in addition, glimpses of other worlds, somewhere in the future perhaps, or even in the past. Alex grew convinced we were seeing one of the Disparate’s central staging areas for invading other worlds–such as our own. We meanwhile fought a running battle throughout the ship, pursued by Disparate forces. We struggled to understand our stiuation, and to agree on our course of action. Could we alter the course of the Hyperborea? Should we run it aground in the Antarctic, giving our peers the chance to study it? Should we destroy it with all hands aboard, our own included? It was impossible to hold a coherent thought, given the baffling and paradoxical timeloops, which passed through the ship like bubbles. I felt I was going mad, that we all were, confronting myriad versions of ourselves, in that ship that was half ghost-ship, half nightmare funhouse.

What it came down to, at last, was a choice. Jerry Maas argued, reasonably, that we should save the Hyperborea and deliver it to the resistance, that our intelligent peers might study and harness its power. But Alex reminded me had sworn he would honor his mother’s demand that we destroy the ship. He hatched a plan to set the Hyperborea to self-destruct, while riding it into the heart of the Disparate’s invasion nexus. Jerry and Alex argued. Jerry overpowered Alex and brought the Hyperborea area, preparing to shut off the Bootstrap Device and settle the ship on the ice. Then I heard a shot, and Jerry fell. Alex had decided for all of us, or his weapon had. With Dr. Maas dead, we were committed to the suicide plunge. Grimly, Alex and I armed the Hyperborea, creating a time-travelling missile, and steered it for the heart of the Disparate’s command center.

At this point, as you will no doubt be unsurprised to hear, a Certain Sinister Figure appeared, in the form of that sneering trickster, Mrs. X. For once she appeared not to me, but to Alex Vaunt. Alex had not seen the cryptical schoolmarm since childhood, but he recognized her instantly. “Come along with me now, we’ve places to do and things to be,” said Mrs. X, and Alex acquiesced. He followed the strange grey lady out of the Hyperborea, out of our reality. For me, there was no convenient door held open; only a snicker and a sideways glance. I was left alone, riding the weaponized luxury liner into the heart of a Disparate world. An immense light blazed. I caught a cosmic view of a brilliantly glittering Dyson sphere. The vastness of the Disparate’s power, the futility of our struggle, blossomed briefly in my awareness. I saw everything. Mainly I saw how the Hyperborea, our most powerful weapon, would register as less than a fizzling matchhead as it blew itself apart. And what remained of me would be even less than that.

Just then, as you have surely already foreseen, the Ghastlyhaunts parted their own checkered curtains of reality, reached in as they have on prior occasions, plucked me out, and set me aside. I barely got to see the fireworks begin.

And here we are. I spoke of my return to this shore. It has been a circuitous path to lands I once knew, and surprising to see how much the terrain has changed. Enough time has passed that few remember me, or what I was saying when last I spoke, or what precisely we hoped to accomplish. At this point, the resistance will have failed or succeeded, no thanks to me. Old friends have been silenced, or fallen by the wayside. I no longer know or recognize most members of the research team, though I believe the spirit of rebellion still persists. I expect you know better than I the appropriate course of action, and I leave you to it. Except no further correspondence from me regarding these matters; this is my final epistle.

Yours in infinite finality,

Gertrude Fremont, Ph.D.
and ...

GitHub has sought to translate the discombobulation (includes video link - [2m])
Spoiler:
Jackathan (github) Aug 25, 2017

Marc Laidlaw's Epistle 3 Post. August 25th, 2017.

I'm archiving this for the world to see.

The original source is Marc Laidlaw's website, at However, the immense traffic has killed his site. You can view a Wayback Machine version of that page, or the hosted version here on GitHub.

If you want a little more info, watch this video by ValveNewsNetwork: Half-Life 2: Episode 3's Story Released By Marc Laidlaw

Here you can view the original version, as well as my corrected version which has all the obfuscated names switched back to the real names.
If you want to know what I changed in the name swaps, I made a rough list here:

"Playa" : "Player"

"Gertie Fremont" : "Gordon Freeman"

"Gertrude Fremont" : "Gordon Freeman"

"Hyperborea" : "Borealis"

"Mrs. X" : "G-Man"

"Disparate" : "Combine"

"Jerry Maas" : "Judith Mossman"

"Alex Vaunt" : "Alyx Vance"

"Ghastlyhaunts" : "Vortigaunts"

"Elly Vaunt" : "Eli Vance"

"Tocsin Island" : "Aperture Science"

spotted @Blues
Ain't nobody got time for that
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I've gotten back into Jagged Alliance 2 again, using the fan-made 1.13 patch, and the game is nicely updated.

Tactically, the 1.13 patch adds difficulty in combat - I don't remember enemies using night vision so often, or taking advantage of good cover so much. Mechanically, it adds a whole realm of inventory management - with things like keeping your guns clean, permanent item damage only a repair shop can fix, adding food requirements, adding extra types of bags and tactical vests, and a massive armory of new guns (many statistically similar, but visually different - like "Tons of Guns" on steroids). You can even train Militia to go on patrol and engage enemy forces they find, and train Militia to man the SAM sites. Artillery has been added with Radio Packs to call it in if you have Militia in an adjacent zone. There are even zombies available if you so choose (I didn't, for now). You can even make more than one custom Merc. Mercs might forget how many bullets are left in a magazine if you don't reload between fights, so you're left with ?? instead of an ammo count. Enemy soldiers from adjacent squares will join in fights (not sure if they did before) and there's something distinctly difficult about a town defense with 54 enemies attacking. Lots of just plain cool stuff added in.

They also added support for windowed and larger resolutions, so the game looks pretty good in 1920x1080, giving you a more zoomed-out view. It works like ass on Windows 8.1 (crashing and locking up), but runs fairly well on Windows 7. I can't speak for Windows 10.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm getting the urge to play a tactical shooter again, thanks to our R6: Siege multiplayer sessions. They used to be a staple of my gaming life. Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six 1-3, Hidden and Dangerous 2, Operation Flashpoint, SWAT 3 & 4. Others I'm forgetting. I stopped for a while when they stopped making actual tactical shooters and started going with silly gimmicks and obnoxious mechanics. Ghost Recon became Advanced Warfighter and became frustrating due to poor design. When they finally started making new ones again (ARMA comes to mind), I found that I didn't have the patience to learn them anymore. It didn't help that becoming a full-time parent meant I didn't have time for hours-long missions without saves. Still, I have that urge.

The thing is, I have a number of them that I've never made progress in, and I have no idea which one I should dive into. I am sitting on ARMA 2 and Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising. Then again, I could just dig out one that I've played. I've got all my old disks for everything mentioned above, plus I have all of the Brothers in Arms games (admittedly more puzzle games than tactical) and ARMA: Cold War Crisis (a re-release of the original Operation Flashpoint) on Steam.

Then again, I've had the urge to replay Deus Ex and/or System Shock 2 again.

Having fun is a pain in the ass.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

I expect you saw in the LFG thread but Arma 3 is just under $14 for another day or two.

I'm struggling with some of the early missions because they are hard, but not in a way that is driving me off.

The AI can see you easily ( I haven't determined yet if hiding behind stuff helps to stay..hidden from them) and while they aren't crack shots, the game models bullet damage much more realistically than other games and you can't take much before you go down.

I want to try some multiplayer but I've heard the community can be about as welcoming as LoL / DotA so I'd rather give it a shot with people I'm familiar with. My nephew has it but we have yet to give it a shot..tonight I hope.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Not this month for sure. I had fun at GenCon, but this month I get to pay it off!
Brian

Post by Brian »

Does ARMA 3 have a cooperative style story mode or is the multiplayer simply drop in and go kill the other team?
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Brian wrote:Does ARMA 3 have a cooperative style story mode or is the multiplayer simply drop in and go kill the other team?
Let me investigate this evening and I'll post. I'm not exactly clear yet.

There are multitudes of user created scenarios on the steam workshop that I think can be done coop but I am not yet certain.

Will advise.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Ok, I can now confirm that there is a large amount of co op content if nothing else via the Steam Workshop.

We installed a mod that would allow you to setup your team and gear and alter a few parameters and it would drop you into a mission with several objectives. Like a mission generator.

One of our objectives was to extract information from an informant but he was almost 2 km away from our location over a lot of open ground. We climbed the side of a hill to get some vantage and spotted a couple of vehicles down in a low spot. Unfortunately, there was a villa nearby with some Opfor moving around outside. We wound up having him keep overwatch on the hill while I doubled back and circled around so I could approach along the far side of a slope from the bad guys. I managed to grab the vehicle and he wound up taking out both of the bad guys with his suppressed rifle.

From there he was told he had to get off so his mom could use the computer so we went Rambo and it ended about like you'd expect.

The downside to this was that we literally had to use 20 year old tech to be able to hook up in multiplayer. For some reason we couldn't find each other using the server browser while hosting a private game so we actually had to go download Hammachi (like Kali from the 90s if you aren't familiar) so we could trick the game into thinking we were on a LAN.....

Didn't realize how spoiled I'd gotten with Steam because I had very little patience trying to set up something that was no big deal back when we wanted to play Red Alert on the internet :horse:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

What happens when someone dies in a co-op game? If it is like the games that inspired it, the missions can be really, really long. If someone were to bump in to a bullet early on, is there a mechanic to get them back into the game, or are they a spectator for an hour?
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Blackhawk wrote:What happens when someone dies in a co-op game? If it is like the games that inspired it, the missions can be really, really long. If someone were to bump in to a bullet early on, is there a mechanic to get them back into the game, or are they a spectator for an hour?
40 sec wait to respawn. I believe it is variable and can be set by the host--I think.

I know this because on our insertion the AI was flying us in on a MH-6 Little Bird and my nephew thought he had a parachute. He didn't.

I was looking out my side of the chopper and looked back over to see an empty seat :lol:
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Steve Jackson Games' Ogre apparently has a release date of 5 October 2017. I reckon I'll be picking that up shortly thereafter, unless the reviews are convincingly horrible.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Dang, Ogre! I'll be keeping an eye on it as well...
-mf
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

What is the closest modern PC game to feeling like Dreamcast Hydro Thunder?
I have but one advocate.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Okay but I was excluding that by saying "modern."
I have but one advocate.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well theres Riptide but its more rocket skis than boats.

Riptide GP2

Aquadelic
Last edited by Daehawk on Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

That's fine. I actually have that. I need to try that again. Has anyone tried Renegade?
I have but one advocate.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sorry dont know that one.

I thought I knew one but it must have been on PS4. I know I played one recently. I wonder if it was Kasey Chang that told me about it..cant recall anything now. Just know I played one.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Daehawk wrote:Sorry dont know that one.
It's the redesigned first Riptide GP game, I think.
I have but one advocate.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Saw Sebastian Loeb Rally EVO cheap, bought it. It was supposed to be basically a revamp of the old Milestone WRC games with a new license, and it... is, but the handling is... twitchy! I've driven WRC4, the last Milestone WRC game, and I do pretty darn well in it. But I can't drive worth a **** in SLRE. The response curve to the gamepad is ALL WRONG. I can't avoid spinning out. I can't make smooth turns at all. ARGH!

At this rate, I need to go back and play Dirt 3 for a game my aging rig can handle.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Why is this something people want? What does it get you?

38000+ achievements BUNDLE
I have but one advocate.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

JetFred wrote:Why is this something people want? What does it get you?
Achievement Spam - apparently, it's a thing.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I love the exponential growth curve on Steam Achievements.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

JetFred wrote:Why is this something people want? What does it get you?

38000+ achievements BUNDLE
Bragging rights about "completing" your game, apparently, which Steam counts as achievement completions. :-P
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Decided to re-install Starcraft 2. After a bunch of time installing and different kinds of updates install things I have another update of 20+ G.
I don't know if I want to play this game that much.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I was replaying it a few weeks ago and had started the first expansion. I was enjoying it, for what it's worth -- and I had to wait a day to download it. Anticipation helps. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

We need some updates to old top level rpgs.

Realms of Arkania: Star Trail
Dark Sun
The Magic Candle
Ultima
Darklands
Menzoberranzan

Id really love a new Dark Suns though. I loved the different setting and story line. But Id insist it stay and overhead view game.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Daehawk wrote:We need some updates to old top level rpgs.

Realms of Arkania: Star Trail
Dark Sun
The Magic Candle
Ultima
Darklands
Menzoberranzan

Id really love a new Dark Suns though. I loved the different setting and story line. But Id insist it stay and overhead view game.
A remake of Star Trail was released on Steam last month.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Max Peck wrote:A remake of Star Trail was released on Steam last month.
I remember the original being very hard. I don't think I ever found enough herbs to heal my party and we died a lot from diseases or cold weather and not monster attacks. But I barely remember. Could be a different game altogether.
There is no hug button. Sad!