Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: PC Gaming Randomness

Post by Daehawk »

I returned a couple games to Steam back way before they had a return policy but none since. I almost did Wolcen but decided to keep it since its early access and its likely to improve. Already like it more after a week.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

After a few hours, I can see it. But after playing through the whole game? I see it as getting an experience. Even if you didn't like the outcome after playing through all of it, that doesn't give one the right to return it. It's an experience good or bad.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm guessing that a lot of those are situations where someone couldn't get the game to click, got mad about it and wrote the review, then came back later and figured the game out. Nothing says that the hours are all pre-review.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:08 pm I'm guessing that a lot of those are situations where someone couldn't get the game to click, got mad about it and wrote the review, then came back later and figured the game out. Nothing says that the hours are all pre-review.
Except when they say, "Well I'm at 260 hours and I'm done. I can't recommend this game."
I have but one advocate.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

On another topic, have we all come to accept, if words mean what usage dictates rather than what origin dictates, that roguelike is now its own genre that often has little to nothing to do with Rogue? I know we've talked about it elsewhere, but I'm a category freak. It's pretty much procedural generation and/or permadeath, I guess.
I have but one advocate.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Actually, I need a name for the category of game that the goal is to see how far through the world you can get with time or resource management, luck or dexterity. The goal is not to see the end of the story and uninstall.

I've considered...

roguelike (but that implies rpg elements)
survival (but that could mean a crafting game, or survival horror)
permadeath

Any ideas?
I have but one advocate.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Rogue-lite?

Implies randomness but would minimize the RPG elements (the "lite" part).
Maybe next year, maybe no go
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Yeah, under consideration. See, people think my categories are pointless (they are) because there are so many gameplay elements that can be mixed and matched, but I make a category when a gameplay element determines how I play a game. Adventure games are for finishing a story, simulators are for sandbox play rather than completion of a campaign, strategy is for coming and going and should have a one-more-turn feel (even when not turn based), arcade is totally dip-in for short sessions, etc. This gameplay element is determining how/when I play those games.

I may just have to go with survival.
I have but one advocate.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im not sure about anyone else but Id watch a movie based on either the Stalker series of games or the Metro series. I think the Stalker setting would make for a better movie though being outside.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

JetFred wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:20 pm Actually, I need a name for the category of game that the goal is to see how far through the world you can get with time or resource management, luck or dexterity. The goal is not to see the end of the story and uninstall.

I've considered...

roguelike (but that implies rpg elements)
survival (but that could mean a crafting game, or survival horror)
permadeath

Any ideas?
I call those "endless runners" and have seen places like the app store do the same. Thinking of: 100000000 and You Must Build a Boat, and even Subway Surfers and JetPack Joyride.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Those are endless runners but they are not what I'm talking about. I have them under arcade games. These include everything from Rogue Legacy to Sunless Sea to even something like 80 Days and Don't Starve. They can be very complex and story driven, just not one fixed narrative.
I have but one advocate.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

JetFred wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:20 pm Actually, I need a name for the category of game that the goal is to see how far through the world you can get with time or resource management, luck or dexterity. The goal is not to see the end of the story and uninstall.
Is it just "spinning plate survival"? Because you can cover all sorts of topics with that. One of those cute "airport" sims where you manage runways with takeoffs and landings would be one. Right? You just keep juggling things faster and faster until finally you're overwhelmed.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Nah, I have a place for time management clickers. I mean in the broadest sense, tons of genres have elements of seeing how long you can last. That's why this is so far a "know it when I see it" category.
I have but one advocate.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

JetFred wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:45 pm Those are endless runners but they are not what I'm talking about. I have them under arcade games. These include everything from Rogue Legacy to Sunless Sea to even something like 80 Days and Don't Starve. They can be very complex and story driven, just not one fixed narrative.

Weird because when I think of arcade games I think of
the category of game that the goal is to see how far through the world you can get with time or resource management, luck or dexterity. The goal is not to see the end of the story
That sounds like a perfect description of quarter eaters from my youth, only they usually had a score to measure you buy when your luck or dexterity eventually failed.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

In that case, it's a matter of complexity and choice. Arcade games tend not to have them. At least not in the sense that if you endure, you've got hours ahead of you.
I have but one advocate.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

JetFred wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:23 pm In that case, it's a matter of complexity and choice. Arcade games tend not to have them. At least not in the sense that if you endure, you've got hours ahead of you.

Management games?

http://segabits.com/blog/2016/08/25/seg ... s-pillars/
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

That's interesting and I need to read the whole thing.

As an exercise, I'd love to see how people categorize the following 10 games in one-word categories.

Arcane Worlds
Capsule
Crow
Gods Will Be Watching
Nom Nom Galaxy
Shelter
Skyhill
Soma
State of Decay
Sunless Sea
I have but one advocate.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Would Darkest Dungeon be in this genre? If so, I would go with Rogue-like. You mentioned Sunless Sea - definitely Rogue-like IMO.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:22 pm Would Darkest Dungeon be in this genre? If so, I would go with Rogue-like. You mentioned Sunless Sea - definitely Rogue-like IMO.
Yes, and that means you are using roguelike as its own category (and not differentiating between roguelike and roguelite, FWIW).
I have but one advocate.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:58 pm Im not sure about anyone else but Id watch a movie based on either the Stalker series of games or the Metro series. I think the Stalker setting would make for a better movie though being outside.
There is a STALKER movie. It's not based on the game, however. It's based on the story that the game is also based on. Be aware, though, that if you want an action movie with mutants, this ain't it. It's more of a 'walking simulator'. I still found it mesmerizing. But don't expect action.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

JetFred wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:21 pm That's interesting and I need to read the whole thing.

As an exercise, I'd love to see how people categorize the following 10 games in one-word categories.

Arcane Worlds ARCADE
Capsule don't know it
Crow ARCADE (if the same as the mobile/iOS game)
Gods Will Be Watching this is a tough one...hard to pigeonhole since it mixes so many genres, from puzzle, to survival, to adventure, to roguelike. Definitely a mash-up.
Nom Nom Galaxy PLATFORMER
Shelter SURVIVAL
Skyhill SURVIVAL
Soma SURVIVAL/HORROR sub genre (like System Shock)
State of Decay SURVIVAL
Sunless Sea EXPLORATION
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

TheMix wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:29 pm
Daehawk wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:58 pm Im not sure about anyone else but Id watch a movie based on either the Stalker series of games or the Metro series. I think the Stalker setting would make for a better movie though being outside.
There is a STALKER movie. It's not based on the game, however. It's based on the story that the game is also based on. Be aware, though, that if you want an action movie with mutants, this ain't it. It's more of a 'walking simulator'. I still found it mesmerizing. But don't expect action.
Metro was based on the novels, right? I remember downloading a bunch of them when they were free on Amazon for limited periods.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Kasey Chang wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:59 pm
TheMix wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:29 pm
Metro was based on the novels, right? I remember downloading a bunch of them when they were free on Amazon for limited periods.
The Metro games were based on novels. But different novels. They do a much better job of following the novels than STALKER. The latter only loosely had anything to do with the novel.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:43 pmArcane Worlds ARCADE
Capsule don't know it
Crow ARCADE (if the same as the mobile/iOS game)
Gods Will Be Watching this is a tough one...hard to pigeonhole since it mixes so many genres, from puzzle, to survival, to adventure, to roguelike. Definitely a mash-up.
Nom Nom Galaxy PLATFORMER
Shelter SURVIVAL
Skyhill SURVIVAL
Soma SURVIVAL/HORROR sub genre (like System Shock)
State of Decay SURVIVAL
Sunless Sea EXPLORATION
For me, survival horror has to be a certain type of gameplay, not just a setting, but i think i agree on Soma. I'm linking your other "survival" with "exploration" and I'm calling them survival at the moment. The others are intentionally genre bending, even where you named a genre.

That leaves me with eight pretty clear ones and two fuzzy ones:

Action
Adventure
Arcade
Platformer
Puzzle
Racing
Role playing
Sim/sandbox (a little fuzzy, I used to refuse to recognize this genre)
Strategy
Survival (for lack of a better suggestion)

All others who are bored by this, carry on.
I have but one advocate.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

JetFred wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:21 pm That's interesting and I need to read the whole thing.

Arcane Worlds
Capsule
Crow
Gods Will Be Watching
Nom Nom Galaxy
Shelter
Skyhill
Soma
State of Decay
Sunless Sea
Unheard-of
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:12 pm

Arcane Worlds
Capsule
Crow
Gods Will Be Watching
Nom Nom Galaxy
Shelter
Skyhill
Soma
State of Decay
Sunless Sea
Unheard-of
Same here. Only one I'd heard of was Sunless Sea, but I couldn't tell you the first thing about it.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I tried the original Sims when it first came out. Couldn't stand it. Here a few years back I got Sims 3 for reasons unbeknownst to me now. Just reloaded and tried again......4 different times and I never could go more than a half and hour before I quit.
I just cannot see what people like about that game.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
raydude

Post by raydude »

APL, where I work, had their 12th annual Girl Power STEM Expo yesterday. One of the exhibits was a full six player game of Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator.. They decked out one of the classrooms in the Kossiakoff Center with 5 computers and monitors, had a giant screen showing the main view for the Captain, and another large LCD monitor showing the external view for the parents. They even had multicolored lighting for when the ship was being fired on. The guys running the Artemis simulator were gathering girls into crews, explaining the basics of the positions, and getting crews ready to rotate in for their turn at Artemis (sessions were timed to 15 minutes max).

My daughter and her friend were thrown in with 4 other girls as a starship crew and they all strategized and figured out the positions they wanted to play while waiting for their turn at the controls. My daughter was weapons officer and her friend was the helm. Captain was pretty good, and they managed to kill three enemy ships. I was so proud to hear her say "Firing Torpedoes!"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:54 am I tried the original Sims when it first came out. Couldn't stand it. Here a few years back I got Sims 3 for reasons unbeknownst to me now. Just reloaded and tried again......4 different times and I never could go more than a half and hour before I quit.
I just cannot see what people like about that game.
Same with me man same with me.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

The same would be with Survival games for me. I just don't really get the point. Unbeknown to me, when I bought Kim, It had survival elements. It's a beautiful game with handpainted graphics but the game makes you hurry along and you get hungry and sad far too often to be able to get anything done, which is a shame because I really want to like this game. You play a boy of 15, and at the age of 18, the game ends. Oh, you can continue after that without the game tracking anything but if that's the case, they really should make the survival aspect optional. You're told you should make the most of your life. Here's the thing: Every time you die (and there is a permadeath option) you'll be sent to the nearest doctor, but each time you do, it shortens your life, each time getting you closer to 18. So, it's a constant battle to get anything done before it's over. Maybe that's appealing to some, but I just want to get the quests done without having to worry about all that. In the end, the game frustrated me out of being so needy.
Last edited by Rumpy on Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Timered games are not for me. Im the one who likes to explore and find all I can and do all I can.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im in a gaming deadzone. For over a week all Ive touched is a map here and there of Turmoil which I just deleted and some ESO. In the last 2 days alone Ive installed and deleted 12 games.

Just last night I thought Shadow of War had finally grabbed me. I thought the controller was what was going to make it all good. Then I got killed on the first mission thanks to respawns and 4 captains instead of two. Delete.

Today I installed Crossout, Star Conflict, ArcheAge, and Skyforge. All but the space game Ive played and enjoyed.

Skyforge. I log in and you can have only one character. No other slots. Its my old character and I dont know how to play it and I cant find a way to delete it. Delete.

ArcheAge. it gives only 2 slots. They are both filled with my old higher lvls I dont know how to play. I try to join a different server to make noobs to learn with and test..as always. Cant. Wont allow but those two unless I delete to make new ones. I dont want to lose them I just want so alts damnit. DELETE.

Crossout. Its ok Changed some since playing. Not really into it. Delete.

Star Conflict. Might be ok. Will keep for now.

This is how the week has gone. Im not mad. Im not bored. Im just dead. I dont have the urge to play and I cant make myself. I keep trying. Dont want to replay old. Cant afford brand new. Stuff I own that Ive not tried I dont feel like bothering.

its as if I died a week ago and haven't taken notice of that yet.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I go through these periods of not finding a game that grabs me more often now, which I think is a combination of being older, which has slowed my mental processes down a bit, and also being jaded. The latter comes from having played video games for so long, 25 or 30 years, closer to 40 if I include some of the early PC games on my Tandy TRS-80. I often get a feeling of "been there, played that". And the games I do enjoy tend to be the AAA, big budget ones, which don't come out that often. And it is especially frustrating because being retired I have a lot of free time on my hands.

On the other hand, it does give my a lot more time to devote to my reading, my other long time hobby. I completed my 35th book of the year yesterday, The Impossible Railway: The Building of the Canadian Pacific by Pierre Berton and I'm a third of the way through The History of Photography: From 1839 to the Present by Beaumont Newhall.

However, I look forward to slowing down my rapid reading when Surviving Mars releases in three days :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:33 pm I dont have the urge to play and I cant make myself. I keep trying.
You don't want to do a thing, and you are forcing yourself to anyway. Unless it is for survival, a responsibility, or you're getting paid, you're doing it wrong. Hobbies and pastimes are for fun and relaxation. If they aren't giving you fun and relaxation, then it isn't a hobby anymore.

We all get into those ruts. It is just burnout. You've done it all, you've seen it all. You've saved the word a hundred times, and you're just going through the motions. It is the activity, but without the joy. I got into that stage a month or so ago. I uninstalled most of my games, and other than the scheduled multiplayer games with some OOers, I haven't touched a game in three weeks.

Instead, I focused on the other interests I've let slide. I've played some board games. I've done some miniature painting. I've put more effort into learning about my comics collection. And you know what? After a few weeks of it, I'm having more fun than I have had with gaming in months. My mood has improved, too. I'm enthusiastic again, not just going through the motions. I'm less surly. It won't be forever. Eventually games will sound fun again (and a TW: Warhammer 2 campaign sounds interesting...) and I will be back to it.

So quit tormenting yourself by trying to force yourself to have fun with something that isn't. Focus on something else for a while. Get a model, perhaps, as you'd mentioned in the other thread. Come back to gaming when it is something you want to do rather than your 'job.'
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

That game does look interesting. Been reading up on it and watching what videos I see. Ive played others like it over the years but it being new and shiny makes me interested in it :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wish Albion was f2p. Ive always wanted to play it and now they have just added fishing to it!!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

There are plenty of games that appeal to me, and I even have a new laptop that's itching to break in its video card, but buying and starting a new game is a big hurdle for me to overcome. Fear of commitment, I guess, and reluctance to spend money. I've just about played my old games to death and it's about time to take the leap.
KDH

Post by KDH »

... :pop: ... Brad Wardell talks about the problems and failure of .. Elemental: War of Magic
Spoiler:

I searched for a thread .. I wasn't sure how closely related the Fallen Enchantress game was, since this transition took place while I was offline for a couple years

In other news: .. Richard Garriott talks about Ultima: Online's problems with a virtual ecology
Spoiler:
Ain't nobody got time for that
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive seen that UO video before. Always made me chuckle. I was one of those breaking the game back then. But with shards we always thought it was to decrease lag. The closer the server the faster it went :)

Ive not seen Brad in a long time. Last time I saw him he was so much younger. Seems a lot of time has passed. Been so long.
Last edited by Daehawk on Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

I was playing Fall of the Dungeon Guardians this weekend when the game crashed on me. Then everything started crashing on me. Long story short, a part of my 5 year old Evga GTX 670 that deals with DirectX calls has apparently died. It was even crashing in the browser so I had to switch to the standard VGA adapter and that stopped the crashes but now I can't play any games.

I ordered a MSI 1050 TI right away from Newegg but it'll be midweek before I get it. It was the cheapest halfway decent card I could find and even so it was $219. At least the card prices have come back down some so I only had to pay about a $60 premium for it. I had been planning on getting one anyway but was hoping to wait until summer and hoping the bitcoin mining craziness would resolve itself by then. But what can you do? Bad timing.

So now I'm having some serious gaming withdrawal. I did find that Helherron will run on the Standard VGA driver so at least that's something. And there's always dosbox games. :shock:
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review