Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Re: PC Gaming Randomness

Post by jztemple2 »

I got the urge last night to reinstall Grand Theft Auto V for the PC. I played it originally on the X360 back in 2013 and completed the game. When it came out on the PC in 2015 I picked it up and played about half-way through but gave up because I remembered too much. I've always had that issue, I don't like replaying a game with a story since I don't feel that same sense of surprise when I first played it. However, since it's been three years I thought I'd try it and after a couple of hours I'm still enjoying it. I got to the 4% mark so it is early days, but I do like the open world feel of it all.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive reinstalled Rebel Galaxy. But not touched it. I remember how LOoooong it takes to go places in the game and just how many times stuff drops you out of warp. Disheartens me.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

When I played GTAV the first time there was no first person view and when I played it on the PC I'm not sure it had been added yet. So I decided* to use first person view for playing GTAV except for driving, which is really, really hard in anything except chase camera.

*I was motivated to use FPV after watching "Lady in the Lake", a 1946 film noir starring Robert Montgomery.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Yet again I find myself wishing Steam had some sorta of customizable sorting ability. I know I own 2 different space games I want to reinstall and have played before but dont know the names. One is a non serious colony game where you start wit ha small working done or colony and more people come to work for you and they go outside to plant farms and mine and such and you can add eateries and gyms and such for them. its not Startopia as its on a asteroid or something in this one.

the other is a space conquest...but its a fast real time game with simple color. Its overhead and the ships are just solid colored triangles. The more ships you send to a enemy planet the more triangles mass up and go to the planet. Thats about it...its not a deep game...just grow people and send them off as ships. In looks its very much like SpaceCom....but it says Ive never played that one so cant be it. That one looks more detailed too.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'm pretty sure I know what that subreddit is, given context, but the name really makes me not want to go there.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:59 pm Yet again I find myself wishing Steam had some sorta of customizable sorting ability. I know I own 2 different space games I want to reinstall and have played before but dont know the names. One is a non serious colony game where you start wit ha small working done or colony and more people come to work for you and they go outside to plant farms and mine and such and you can add eateries and gyms and such for them. its not Startopia as its on a asteroid or something in this one.

the other is a space conquest...but its a fast real time game with simple color. Its overhead and the ships are just solid colored triangles. The more ships you send to a enemy planet the more triangles mass up and go to the planet. Thats about it...its not a deep game...just grow people and send them off as ships. In looks its very much like SpaceCom....but it says Ive never played that one so cant be it. That one looks more detailed too.
Space Colony and ... Gratuitous Space Battles or AI War: Fleet Command?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:09 pm
I'm pretty sure I know what that subreddit is, given context, but the name really makes me not want to go there.
It's just the tip, though.

It's almost as if people are the problem.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Space Colony is the right colony one it appears. The other two space games are not the other one.

Galcon 2 looks VERY close even down to the numbers on the planet but it wasn't that complicated or fast or dense...as I recall. Ill have to try it to be sure.

Strangely I dont own Space Colony on Steam yet i know I own the game Im speaking of. Ill have to check other digital stores.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Galcon Legends looks a lot like what I played. It says free to play so maybe I dont own it though I swear I own the one I played. Think its a different game but very close alike.

Space Colony IS the right game and Ive looked all over for it digitally but cant find where I own it. Then remembered I own the boxed copy of it. Got it on sale years ago. Well solved that mystery.

Still would be nice to have custom sorting with Steam.....genre/date bought/last played/price/release date/size....lots of ways.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:51 pmSpace Colony IS the right game and I've looked all over for it digitally but cant find where I own it. Then remembered I own the boxed copy of it. Got it on sale years ago. Well solved that mystery.
I own Space Colony on GOG, but the Steam version looks like it's been redone and enhanced. It seems to generally get more positive reviews, too. I might want to try it.
Black Lives Matter

morlac

Post by morlac »

Late for space game discussion but surprised no mention of:

Excellent, very pretty first person pew pew pewing.

It does have some RTSness to it as you can give commands to the fleet etc. However, you can slant the play style to your liking. More RTSy or more of the FPS pew pew pewing. Kind of a Tie Fighter meets Homeworl if you will. Best recent space combat game out imo.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

morlac wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:25 am Late for space game discussion but surprised no mention of:

Excellent, very pretty first person pew pew pewing.

It does have some RTSness to it as you can give commands to the fleet etc. However, you can slant the play style to your liking. More RTSy or more of the FPS pew pew pewing. Kind of a Tie Fighter meets Homeworl if you will. Best recent space combat game out imo.
That looks cool, thanks for the heads-up.

Side note: How has a modern version of TIE Fighter not been made? Seems like taking an existing framework like Elite Dangerous, slapping some Star Wars skins and sound effects on it, and putting together a campaign would be a license to print money with (relatively) little effort. I'm a little surprised no one has jumped on that.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Could you imagine a Tie Fighter like MMO in the Elite style? Choose Empire or Alliance and train for your ship then head out. Maybe choose neither and instead be a smuggler and play it like Privateer. Avoid law...upgrade to better ships or fix your current one. While other players for the Empire intercept you in space in a squadron of Ties and the Alliance shows up in X-Wings. Fun ideas.

EDIT And that game looks fun. Added to my huge want list. There used to be another extremely big and complicated space game with a name a lot like that one but I cant recall it.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:35 am Side note: How has a modern version of TIE Fighter not been made? Seems like taking an existing framework like Elite Dangerous, slapping some Star Wars skins and sound effects on it, and putting together a campaign would be a license to print money with (relatively) little effort. I'm a little surprised no one has jumped on that.
Key thing is, license holders aka EA and Disney. Rebel Galaxy's developers pitched a Star Wars game at one point using a reskinned Rebel Galaxy engine, and EA was like, "Nah, we're the only SW developer here. Not interested."

https://kotaku.com/heres-a-2016-pitch-v ... 1821517679
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wish EA would die. The only..ONLY....good thing EA has is their customer support for Origin. Those guys truly rock and have always been over the top helpful. Its the only good mark EA has.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok tried GalCon 2 and that is not it . It LOOKS like it on static screenshots but it is not the game I played.

The game I am looking for looks like it but plays totally different. In it you click and hold the mouse on a planet with say 100 on it. then ships leave from the planet until you let go and the ships go to the enemy or neutral one you pointed to.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:24 pm Ok tried GalCon 2 and that is not it . It LOOKS like it on static screenshots but it is not the game I played.

The game I am looking for looks like it but plays totally different. In it you click and hold the mouse on a planet with say 100 on it. then ships leave from the planet until you let go and the ships go to the enemy or neutral one you pointed to.
Are you sure it's not just an interface option you can set? it really sounds like Galcon Legends or one of the related Galcon games.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Maybe its one of the other ones but dont feel so.

EDIT: AH HA! Eureka! I have found it! And all that jazz.

It is called Planets Under Attack. I find it more fun than the GalCon I tried.

Once I started thinking it had Planet in the name I was able to find it in my list of owned games.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Why do we not have SOME kind of nice The Expanse space game? Could be a single ship with overhead inside view charting its own path between Mars, Earth, and The Belters. Mayeb a full on space sim like Freespace where you work for one of the side. Perhaps a colony sim where you are a Belter trying to form a new colony on a lost asteroid.

Theres so much rich story in The Expanse to live in and game in and not a single game?
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Well... at least there's this.
-mf
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Still been having Starfleet Command pop into my head. I think about reinstalling and playing but then I remember just how much a damn hassle the entire power management of it was and quickly forget about playing it. Its like you can fire phasers 5 times then wait 20 minutes for your battery to recharge. That entire part of the design made it so boring and unfun to play I dont think Ill ever replay them.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:26 pm Still been having Starfleet Command pop into my head. I think about reinstalling and playing but then I remember just how much a damn hassle the entire power management of it was and quickly forget about playing it. Its like you can fire phasers 5 times then wait 20 minutes for your battery to recharge. That entire part of the design made it so boring and unfun to play I dont think Ill ever replay them.
It's an acquired taste, certainly. I preferred Starfleet Command: Orion Pirates. If anyone is interested, dynaverse.net is the place to go if you want to get a copy of the game.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Well, SFB was never really meant to be played as a real-time game, and IMHO, the computer adaptation i.e. Starfleet Command (SFC) sorta missed the point, as energy allocation was basically "automated" and that sorta tossed aside a good portion of the game. Each turn, you are supposed to anticipate the enemy's energy allocation and plan accordingly, but enemy can do the same. So there's a bit of bluffing and stuff that's completely gone from the PC version. Now, you change speed whenever you want to, instead of do it on a turn-by-turn basis.

To play SFC properly, you have to play with the timing slider, slow way down when ships get closer together, fire weapons one at a time to maximize damage to the systems, rather than the hull ("Mizia effect") and so on and so forth. If you just play it as a RT T (real-time tactical game) you don't get the full SFB/SFC experience.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Ah, the Mizia Effect and the Kaufman Retrograde... good times. I remember picking up Star Fleet Battles (which, for the uninitiated, was a "board" game) in its plastic ziplock bag in the early eighties at Enterprise 1701 in Orlando, wondering what it was. A decade later I had every rule update, SSD book expansion, Captain's Log and new race books I could find; I even came across a couple of expansions in a little shop in Jacksonville, Florida which weren't put out by ADB but looked interesting. And of course I had to buy the Doomsday rule book when it came out. About twenty years ago I gave them all up along with my wargame collection when I decided it was time to move on.

Just remember what it says over the entrance to Starfleet Academy... "Use Your Tractors, Dammit!" :D

I'll leave folks with this:

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I still have my rulebooks somewhere. Though I haven't played in decades. :) Both Commanders and Captains (Doomsday) rulebooks. But when I don't have a regular hobby shop to buy the stuff, I stopped buying them. :-P
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Fun fact: I'm the reason that there is a SFB rule explicitly stating that you can't cloak a planetary base.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Max Peck wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:17 am Fun fact: I'm the reason that there is a SFB rule explicitly stating that you can't cloak a planetary base.
That is a fun fact.

My exposure to SFB is partially from the MooII tactical combat where a lot of the tactics carry over I'm told, as well as the SFC video game, which I loved, warts and all.

A new SFC game with a decent budge would be the bees knees.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

jztemple2 wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:52 am Ah, the Mizia Effect and the Kaufman Retrograde... good times. I remember picking up Star Fleet Battles (which, for the uninitiated, was a "board" game) in its plastic ziplock bag in the early eighties at Enterprise 1701 in Orlando, wondering what it was...
I remember that store! In 1988 when I was in the USN, I was stationed in Orlando and I vividly remember discovering that store one day when I was just out driving around. At the time it was the biggest, coolest hobby shop I had ever set foot in. Good times!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Apollo wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:55 am
jztemple2 wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:52 am Ah, the Mizia Effect and the Kaufman Retrograde... good times. I remember picking up Star Fleet Battles (which, for the uninitiated, was a "board" game) in its plastic ziplock bag in the early eighties at Enterprise 1701 in Orlando, wondering what it was...
I remember that store! In 1988 when I was in the USN, I was stationed in Orlando and I vividly remember discovering that store one day when I was just out driving around. At the time it was the biggest, coolest hobby shop I had ever set foot in. Good times!
Yup, I started going there back in the late seventies when they were located on Mills in an old yellow building. That new store on Corrine Drive was very cool.
morlac

Post by morlac »

I feel like im in some sorta timewarp.

Theres a thread on the following games from my youth that are getting long overdue sequels or remakes.

Star Control
Starflight
Bards Tale

Throw in Battletech, Warhammers and the upcoming Cyberpunk game and im getting a little dizzy from nostalgia overload. In a good way!
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I look forward to PONG: Paddle Vengeance.
Black Lives Matter

Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Paingod wrote:I look forward to PONG: Paddle Vengeance.
Nah, these days it would be 100 player paddle royale.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Fretmute wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:02 pm
(I would play that.)
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

wonderpug wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:30 pm
(I would play that.)
Only if they included RPG elements and a fishing minigame.
Black Lives Matter

morlac

Post by morlac »

Paingod wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:32 pm
wonderpug wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:30 pm
(I would play that.)
Only if they included RPG elements and a fishing minigame.
and loot crates, delicious Pong loot crates)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

:clap:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thinking of replaying Fallout 1 & 2. I replayed FO3 recently and wasn't all that long ago I finished NV and FO4 so maybe its time to replay the two originals. Back then the turn based action point combat was a huge plus for me. Now Im worried I may hate it. Also cant decide to play it super nice, super asshole, midway between, smart , or totally 1 IQ'n it :)

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I recently (past couple of years) replayed 1 and 2.

Thoroughly enjoyed the play through of 1, but made the mistake of playing 2 with some massive update that added in all the content they cut from the original version, along with a ton of other fixes and tweaks.

It made an already very long game too long IMO. I bailed with probably 75% of the game completed (I think. There was a large ship, that’s all I remember, and getting my stuck).

Both games hold up surprisingly well.