Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: PC Gaming Randomness

Post by Daehawk »

Could yes but in this instance I meant boxed copy. I am a PC game collector in the sense that I kept all games mint in box or as they came when new. I still try to replace any games Ive lost over the years in box and if I wanted a game and never got it then I try to buy it in box too.

I still remember that day in the store. I stood there over an hour trying to decide between Battlespire and Redguard. Turns out both sucked. But I picked the one with the cooler box art :) I tried to play it but it was horrible.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I can't afford to keep all my boxed games. I'm pretty much keeping the manuals and media, and tossing the boxes and inserts.

Just found my WC: Prophecy full box with the maps and everything.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

So Little B 8.1 started playing Minecraft last night, after spending the past three weeks earning it through doing various chores. That's going to be an...interesting experience for her. This will be the first game where she has to adjust a camera view via the right stick on a controller. She has played a few of the Lego games (Avengers and Star Wars), but they've all been on WiiU with a camera that auto-follows. I forget sometimes how ingrained the movement/camera reflex is for us long-time gamers, and how incredibly difficult that can be for someone who has never done it before.

I also had the striking realization last night that without a base knowledge of how things function, Minecraft can actually be a really difficult game. If you've never used a pickaxe, for example, how would you even know you need it? If you do puzzle that out, how would you guess what materials might go into making one? The tutorial told her to build a furnace, put in sand, and fuel it with charcoal to make glass. That entire process was completely foreign to her, and she became frustrated very quickly. Will be interesting to see if she sticks with it or gives up.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

YouTube videos will show her the way. My girls spent Sunday afternoon watching videos instead of playing.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Look up the official wiki. The recipes are all there. It can be quite confusing when starting out, especially when there are so many things to make, some of them similar to each other.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Skinypupy wrote: I also had the striking realization last night that without a base knowledge of how things function, Minecraft can actually be a really difficult game. If you've never used a pickaxe, for example, how would you even know you need it? If you do puzzle that out, how would you guess what materials might go into making one? The tutorial told her to build a furnace, put in sand, and fuel it with charcoal to make glass. That entire process was completely foreign to her, and she became frustrated very quickly. Will be interesting to see if she sticks with it or gives up.
my elder nephew had the same issue. he still asks me 'what do i need to harvest gravel?' or the like once in a while. as it is, he really only likes playing the beginning game, as he doesn't think he's capable of building. or mining. or fighting monsters. i'm not really sure what he gets out of it, to be honest. i think his favorite thing is to start a brand new world, find out what's in the bonus chest, enter Creative mode and futz around for a while, get bored, start a new world, find out what's in the bonus chest, enter Creative mode, etc
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Zarathud wrote:YouTube videos will show her the way. My girls spent Sunday afternoon watching videos instead of playing.
She'd probably really like that option. Are there any kid-friendly ones that folks would recommend?

Given the insanity that's out there on YouTube, I wouldn't feel comfortable plunking her down in front of any random channels.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

MinecraftDad (paulsouresjr) has been like a virtual family member since the kids discovered him. One of the first to create Minecraft YouTube videos, he played with his kids and occasionally his wife. Plenty of How-Tos with the silliness. His son JumboMuffin will get your kids laughing as he griefs the rest of his family. His daughter played too.

My oldest just discovered Stampy and we'll see how that goes.

I'm not a tremendous fan of the website, but Common Sense Media has an article on the 12 best kid-friendly Minecraft channels.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

Daehawk wrote:Could yes but in this instance I meant boxed copy. I am a PC game collector in the sense that I kept all games mint in box or as they came when new. I still try to replace any games Ive lost over the years in box and if I wanted a game and never got it then I try to buy it in box too.

I still remember that day in the store. I stood there over an hour trying to decide between Battlespire and Redguard. Turns out both sucked. But I picked the one with the cooler box art :) I tried to play it but it was horrible.
I no longer am trying to complete my collection of retail boxed PC games. I ran out of room!

You are absolutely correct about Battlespire and Redguard! I bought both of them and wish I had saved my money.
The education of a man is never completed until he dies. --Robert E. Lee
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I remember the day I finally decided it was absurd to keep boxes for the 110+ PC games I had in CD-ROM sleeve binders. I just couldn't justify taking up all that shelf space. I still have the discs and manuals, but am not sure how long I'll keep those - I haven't touched a game binder in 2 years, and haven't touched a manual in 3 or more years. It's all "precious nostalgia" now, I guess.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I stopped buying physical media years ago now, but I did receive boxed version of the Diablo III expansion, Titanfall and Starcraft II as birthday gifts from my kids (read: wife).

I still have many boxed games, but no where near the collections some of you have or had. Collector's editions of some of the WoW games/expansions and some other random games are still collecting dust.

I have a fair amount of physical media sans boxes sitting on a CD rack. Very rarely my kids will see something on youtube, discover that I own it and ask me to see if I can get it to run. It usually takes me longer to get it working than they spend time playing it, so I've discouraged this approach.

I'm lazy enough that anything not on Steam makes me hesitate. I don't want to keep track of multiple sites. That said, I have a growing collection of games that I own but have not "claimed" or "activated" on humble bundle. They are just sitting there. Some are part of bundles that I bought for other games specifically, but some are just one offs that were a good price.

There is no question that digital distribution has made things far more convenient as far as buying and playing games. I'm not convinced it has made things easier to keep track of your collection though, especially if you're willing to go off the beaten path and buy directly from developers or just utilize all the digital stores out there.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

For a while I kept all of my boxes. Then I started tossing the cardboard inserts and folding them flat for storage. Then I tossed the boxes and just held on to the CD cases and manuals. About a year ago I tossed the cases, too.

Now I have three binders full of disks, plus one storage tote full of manuals (those I'll never get rid of.) The last time I installed a game off of a disk was probably two years ago (NOLF, which isn't available digitally.) Before that? I have no idea.

I did keep a couple of boxes. The Oblivion collector's edition. The World of Warcraft: Cataclysm collector's edition. A few games that I worked on. The only other one is the original box for Deus Ex.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

You know you have a problem, when good games that you plan to get to in your backlog have a sequel or 2 out before you can even play/finish them!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I haven't bought a physical game in years.

I don't even play them if I have to use a disc.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I still buy physical media most of my PS4 games because their downloads are soooooooooo sloooooooooooow. Downloading a game is typically a full day process, even though my connection tests just fine (30 mbps). Tried a million different fixes and nothing seems to make a difference.
KDH

Post by KDH »

:auto-swerve: ... sailing simulator .. Image ... early access

accurate ocean dimensions .. months to cross the pond .. wind in your hair and salt sea air DLC to follow .. (OK, I made those two up)
Ain't nobody got time for that
KDH

Post by KDH »

:horse: ... Vivendi expected to accelerate its takeover of UBIsoft ... UBIsoft filling its moat with maple syrup to fend off the evildoers

reuters.com

vg247.com

maybe they'll replace Uplay with Vplay
KDH

Post by KDH »

:o .. POP Quiz

Do you do business with an online retailer that doesn't deal in your national currency? .. thereby making a seamless, one-click (?), purchase for YOU

backstory: .. I use the "enhancedsteam" plugin for Firefox. Several times it has brought uk.gamesplanet.com to my attention as a cheaper price for what I was looking at ... yet, they do not deal in US dollars .. no toggle available upon setting up an account.

I emailed them and asked about this, and they explained that they have no plans on doing this until they "set up a store in the USA" .. to which I replied: "dude, the world is a global village" .. I would imagine it's a more common occurrence for some of you. To be honest, I wouldn't know how to go about completing a transaction in British Pounds

I've done bidness with UK, Sweden, Poland, GABEN .. for games .. is there such a technicality as "setting up a store in the US" to transact in US dollars?

:violin: Hashtag: firstworldproblems
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Assuming you use a credit card, there shouldn't be an issue. The credit card does the conversion for you.

I've bought a few things in British pounds... I think a computer game and maybe a Kickstarter.

It was never a problem.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I don't have any problems buying stuff in other currencies...I do make sure to use a credit card that doesn't charge foreign transaction fees, though.
KDH

Post by KDH »

I wasn't aware that it would be handled automatically with a credit card .. hmmmm
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I recall buying stuff off UK.gameplanet.com so it was definitely handled automatically. I bought a copy of Robert Burns Rally back when it was available there.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I just learned that Gold Rush 2 got released yesterday, developed by the same developer as the original. Considering that the original Gold Rush got released by Sierra back in 1988, it's got to be the longest gap between game and sequel, even longer than the 26 year gap between Wasteland and Wasteland 2.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Decided I want to play through Max Payne 3 again. And did so. Didn't have to consult a walkthru this time. but the end fight was... not as hard as I remembered.
Spoiler:
Max fights his way through the airport, got to the private terminal, then Becker, head of the UFE (Special Forces Unit, paramilitary police) who's being backed by Rodrigo Branco, the real bad guy in this scenario pulled a grenade launcher and shield and hid on a boarding ramp/stair, and goons flooded the field. He's behind a shield and can't be flanked. And his grenades will kill ya. The trick is kill goons until the plane is about to to leave, then run up the left ramp and do a shoot dodge dive and shoot his grenade just as it leaves his launcher. KABOOM! It will blow him up. Then you jump in Da Silva's car and he'll drive you while you pop grenades at others blocking your way, including an armored car and at least 6 jeeps, not to mention lots of shooters. THEN you grenade the plane's engines and it kinda goes boom (but not a full explosion).
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Daehawk wrote:Got accepted into the Quake Champions closed beta - yay!
Forgot my login info - boo!
Its not sending me my request for info - double boo!
I got a closed beta invite for this weekend as well. I used to love Q3 and UT back in the day, and was actually pretty good at them.

Unfortunately, those skills have deteriorated entirely. I played 10 deathmatch games, and ended up with a k/d ratio of .7. I and never finished higher than 4th in a match (out of 8). Apparently old man syndrome has set in, and I'm absolutely terrible at these sort of games now.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

PSA: You can generate and print single use authenticator codes. Handy for when your phone is in another room and you're too lazy to get up and get it.

Settings->Account->Manage Steam Guard Account Security->Get Backup Steam Guard Codes

Generates 30 by default I think. Once used they are no longer valid. Just scratch it off the list and move down to the next one next time. These codes are a couple characters longer than the ones generated by your phone, fyi.

If it's useful to you, great. If not, that's life.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Kasey Chang wrote:Decided I want to play through Max Payne 3 again. And did so. Didn't have to consult a walkthru this time. but the end fight was... not as hard as I remembered.

Yeah, fighting with the activation server to be able to play it was more painful... ;)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

GreenGoo wrote:PSA: You can generate and print single use authenticator codes. Handy for when your phone is in another room and you're too lazy to get up and get it.

Settings->Account->Manage Steam Guard Account Security->Get Backup Steam Guard Codes

Generates 30 by default I think. Once used they are no longer valid. Just scratch it off the list and move down to the next one next time. These codes are a couple characters longer than the ones generated by your phone, fyi.

If it's useful to you, great. If not, that's life.
Thanks for posting about this. I've got a Steam Guard recovery code, but I didn't know about these one time use codes. Handy because I don't have a smart phone and just use my Kindle Fire for the Steam guard function and I don't always have it with me.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

jztemple2 wrote: Thanks for posting about this. I've got a Steam Guard recovery code, but I didn't know about these one time use codes. Handy because I don't have a smart phone and just use my Kindle Fire for the Steam guard function and I don't always have it with me.
That is awesome. I found it very useful so I thought someone else might. Thanks for letting me know.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

I think it's hilarious when I read a user review on Steam that says it took someone 30 hours of gameplay to finish and decide a game sucks and no one should play it because it should have been longer.
I have but one advocate.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I have thousands of hours in Civ5. I ought to write something similar.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
KDH

Post by KDH »

:coffee: ... Rock-Paper-Shotgun is now owned by Gamer Network
Rock, Paper, Shotgun began in 2007 with a modest goal and in the ten years since has grown and grown, from that first post to a glistening archive of over 33,000, and from four founders working in their spare time to a hugely successful enterprise with seven full-time staff. We achieved our goal, but our ambitions have grown bigger.

We want to keep growing and to build a better, more entertaining website about PC games, and we can do that better with help. To that end, we’re excited to announce that RPS is now owned by Gamer Network.

What does this actually mean?

Don’t panic. It’s good things. Gamer Network have been providing the adverts on RPS for the past seven years, and have been an increasingly helpful partner in recent years. Becoming a part of the same network as Eurogamer, ModDB, GamesIndustry.biz and VG247 means that we’ll benefit from the company’s larger resources. This includes the opportunity to do exciting things like hire new people, branch out into new areas such as video, and to modernise the site’s appearance and tech. In an increasingly fierce world, RPS now has big boys to hang with in the playground. That’s going to help us out. We’ll be able to do more, and do it better.

It does mean that Jim and Kieron (remember them?) have exited the RPS treehouse for the final time to continue spending their lives grappling with videogame robots and comic book superheroes. Otherwise, everything will remain the same. John and Alec aren’t going anywhere and will continue as writers for the site exactly as before, as will Adam, Alice, Brendan, Graham and Pip. We have the exact same separation between editorial and advertising as before. We still do only what Horace’s commandments allow.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Started playing Dark Star One, a game I knew I bought at least twice, but somehow NEVER started playing... Until now.

The age of the game is obvious in that mapping the gamepad to the game is troublesome (there's a TOTALLY UNDOCUMENTED way to invert axis, and mapping the digital pad on my Xb360 controller is not possible, just the regular buttons). I am kinda tempted to pull out my G13 to play this, as there's a ton of buttons I need to use (and I use a small keyboard so I don't have a numpad to map commands).

OTOH, the game looks fine in max res and max graphics detail for a 10 year old game. I need to find my Privateer 2 and download some mods.

Also, there's actually mod support for Dark Star One, but mods are few and they don't seem to do much.

I went north to a difference cluster and liberated a pirate system, as well as added 2 more artifacts to upgrade my ship. It's interesting so far. Space combat feels momentumless, no sliding possible. The idea that you don't carry cargo internally but instead, controls cargo drones with containers is a pretty interesting one.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I found DarkStar One to be a pretty fun game. Also liked the way it handled starship upgrades.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

The upgrade system was interesting but to me, a little frustrating, as it was making me going after artifacts, which are often protected by a bunch of pirates to fit in better components.

You have to upgrade the wings to fit better weapons, better rear to fit in more energy, and better front for sensors and whatnot. Which is kinda PITA when you keeping seeing equipment you can't fit. :)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Well, it's a choice thing as there aren't enough artifacts to upgrade everything. You'll want to focus on the wings and the rear.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Yeah, read the FAQ and there's not enough artifacts to upgrade everything, even if you explore the entire galaxy.

Trading is a PITA, as you can't see what the other planet's prices are. You pretty much have to take a guess at whatever's plentiful on this planet (4 green bars) and take it to a system with a different emphasis and hope you make a profit, but I'm only making like 5000-8000 per run, even when I've upgraded to 220 tons of capacity. Missions pay like 15000-20000 so there's really little point to trade.

I've upgraded to "rail guns" and those rapid fire guns (6 shots per second?) do quite a bit of damage as they are level 3 weapons.

I have multiple monitors and I had to download "MouseJail" to make sure my mouse doesn't spill over the screen edge.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I'm now level 6 equipment and weapons. You need the level 6 reactor and such to power the level 6 weapons, else your capacitor doesn't last very long. I did the mistake of upgrading my weapons to level 6 first, and it didn't help my combat.

I'm through Octo territory and following Hornblower around. There are a couple artifact systems I couldn't reach, I'm guessing there are side missions I didn't do and thus didn't have keys to those "hidden" systems. I just screwed up a side mission when the story script that had me accompany Hornblower took over and took me out of the cluster.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, the ones you can't reach yet are related to the main story and you'll get to them a bit later. It confused me until I did a bit of searching on my own to figure out the reason for not reaching them. They really didn't make that obvious. Once you reach a certain point, you'll be able to go for them.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Finished, did not get 100 artifacts. And my turrets are going berzerk after it dropped me in "Sandbox mode", as any station I dock it get shot at. Had to afterburner away, then same thing happened in the next system. I just quit.

I'm now playing Jade Empire. Never did play that. I have it in hardcopy, but I can't find it. I got back on GOG and realized I bought a copy there. :-) I was almost ready to buy another copy for Steam. :D