Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: PC Gaming Randomness

Post by GreenGoo »

Fallout 3 has some potential. I'm not really in the mood for a FPS RPG, but the fallout world is especially attractive, and the game is completely new to me. And I did get it running. However, it locked up during the initial cut scene when you're born. Will look into it tomorrow.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:34 am Fallout 3 has some potential. I'm not really in the mood for a FPS RPG, but the fallout world is especially attractive, and the game is completely new to me. And I did get it running. However, it locked up during the initial cut scene when you're born. Will look into it tomorrow.
Yup, I seem to recall that it doesn't play well with Windows 7 or later, but there are a number of solutions out there to try.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Still playing WH40K Deathwatch, I'm in the final set of 4 missions. The game just threw me the big boss (Carnifex), AND Three Broodlords, each with a huge impaler cannon that does like 120 damage (two hits and the marine's out). AND I accidentally had a marine shoot at all targets... including two friendlies. So yeah, I have 2.5 marines left facing a slightly wounded Carnifex and a broodlord for the final showdown.

Fortunately, I had also finally figured out how to use the special abilities (yeah, I made it through the game so far without using ANY except overwatch/reaction fire mode). And both of my two remaining marines (the 3rd guy is the guy that got hit earlier and lost half of his health) have 5 points of AP. So basically, I sacrificed the wounded marine (he deserved it, shooting down his own team) and got the Carnifex into position. Then one guy used the "borrow 4AP from next turn" ability (so he now has 9AP), invoke both extra damage abilities, then just started shooting. With the previous damage, Carnifex went down quite easily and the guy even has 1 AP to retreat back into cover. Next turn, my heavy gunner (devastator) took out the broodlord with long salvos of critical hits.

-----

Finished the final mission and it's a doozy. You have to run away from the vortex bomb you just guarded, and in your way are hive guards, hive lords, Carnifex, AND Hive Tyrant, i.e. enough bosses to shake a stick at. One of my marine's health dropped below 10. I don't even know how he survived other than some mechanism about regaining 5% health when he made a kill or something like that.
Last edited by Kasey Chang on Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:34 am Fallout 3 has some potential. I'm not really in the mood for a FPS RPG, but the fallout world is especially attractive, and the game is completely new to me. And I did get it running. However, it locked up during the initial cut scene when you're born. Will look into it tomorrow.
Stop multicore crashes by editing with notepad: (THIS SOLVES MOST CRASHES!)
My Documents\my games\Fallout3\FALLOUT.INI
find (control F) bUseThreadedAI=0
CHANGE to bUseThreadedAI=1
Immediately after this line, ADD this new line:
iNumHWThreads=2

ULTIMATE Fallout 3 Setup Guide
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Ever looked up your Steam game stats? I just did and the image below is all the games in Steam that I have played for more than forty hours. Of course this doesn't include my Uplay account, where I've played most of the games over forty hours, and of course all those hundreds of hours I spent on Xbox games. Still, it does make one think, looking at all the different genres represented.

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Heres a few of my tops..

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:17 am
iNumHWThreads=2

I wish Bethesda's games didn't need so much fiddling to run properly or to everyone's tastes - a lot of developers simply make these "Options" in the game menus. Still, I'm glad we can make changes like this.

For me, getting into Fallout 4, I had to alter the FOV from 90 to 70 to avoid nausea as I played.

My Steam stats. I have trouble believing I haven't played 69 of the 270 games I own, but anything is possible. Some games I've bought out of nostalgia without much intent to play, some I found interesting for a few minutes and never got back to. Some I haven't touched.
Enlarge Image
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Where does one find that report?
KDH

Post by KDH »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:18 am Heres a few of my tops..

Heh .. My borderlands 2 time reads .. 2,354 hours .. but I think I must have left it alt-tabbed during a leap-year change-up .. or a Rumpelstiltskin event
Ain't nobody got time for that
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Kraken wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:11 pm Where does one find that report?
Mine is from this site. I've been using it for years, so I suspect (or hope) it is secure. Anyway I have Steam Guard for protection of my Steam account.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:34 pm
Mine is from this site. I've been using it for years, so I suspect (or hope) it is secure. Anyway I have Steam Guard for protection of my Steam account.
It should be secure enough, since it should only be using data exposed by the Steam API for sharing profile and game library information.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Heh. When I put in "Kraken" as a Steam ID I get what must be somebody else's history and stats, although the profile info looks like me. It says I most recently played Skyrim, for example, and I don't own that. It also thinks I own >200 games, when I actually have 16. I'm a little leery of using the "sign in via Steam" option.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Speaking of that, I go way back to when your profile name and custom URL were just your Steam account name because no one else had it yet, but now you might as well stick with numbers for your profile link because Steam allows multiple of the same profile name. Then I've heard people say not to make your profile name your account name, but I don't know what they are talking about because I'm sure plenty of people have a recognizable account name and I don't see how that puts anything at risk with all the login authentication.
I have but one advocate.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

TY.....wait I use that site lol....never had a problem with it or security.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anyone here play Tom Clancy's Siege? Ive wanted to try it since it released but have not bothered getting it yet. Im wondering if its too late. Games like this get a select set of people who play it all the time and know it by heart and hate noobs coming in and messing up their matches. Ive watched it played it seems that way. Players talk and know commands and do this and that by order and such. I really hate joining games like that and people getting mad simply because Im new then I get mad and we have a grand old fuss fest. Asking because Im still wondering about trying it.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:17 am
iNumHWThreads=2

Meant to come back and say that I implemented those changes and the game worked the next time I loaded it up, so thanks very much.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hey you're quiet welcome. Cool it works for ya. Im betting Ill have to use the same edits. I recall having to actually turn off one of my cores in processes or however its done for a single game years ago. It may have been FO3.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

If you thought New Vegas was the "best" Fallout, but like the engine in Fallout 4, a team of modders is working on recreating New Vegas as a Fallout 4 conversion mod.

The Steam Sale let me snag the DLC for Fallout 4 and I'm now merrily chewing through the Automaton quests to make a sidekick robot for myself. I don't generally bring along a Companion because I prefer to be in control of the fights and sneak around more than Companions allow me to sometimes - but I can change my mind for a robot ally.

If/when the New Vegas conversion hits, I'll certainly give it a whirl.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm playing Poly Bridge right now, wonderfully donated to me by Jaddison80 :wub:

I'd forgotten how much fun these little constructions games can be. I bought one for my Kindle Fire HD for trips a long time ago, but I can't remember if I played one on the PC.

I bet someone is working on a VR version as we speak :)
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

You know there's a Portal one now, too?
I have but one advocate.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Yup, it’s on my wishlist.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Here's something that's bound to cheer up your day, Maybe Adding VR To LA Noire Was A Mistake from the Kotaku Steamed feed. Be sure to watch the video:

Direct link to the YouTube video
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

That's hilarious.
I have but one advocate.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:28 pm Here's something that's bound to cheer up your day, Maybe Adding VR To LA Noire Was A Mistake from the Kotaku Steamed feed. Be sure to watch the video:

L.O.L.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Freaking fantastic!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:35 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:28 pm Here's something that's bound to cheer up your day, Maybe Adding VR To LA Noire Was A Mistake from the Kotaku Steamed feed. Be sure to watch the video:

L.O.L.
This was in the comments. Only 30 seconds, but awesome.

-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:26 pm What's the word on Tales from CandleKeep: Tomb of Annihilation?
This one has me curious as well.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

That had me literally LOL'ing.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:26 pm Anyone here play Tom Clancy's Siege? Ive wanted to try it since it released but have not bothered getting it yet. Im wondering if its too late. Games like this get a select set of people who play it all the time and know it by heart and hate noobs coming in and messing up their matches. Ive watched it played it seems that way. Players talk and know commands and do this and that by order and such. I really hate joining games like that and people getting mad simply because Im new then I get mad and we have a grand old fuss fest. Asking because Im still wondering about trying it.
Still curious. Its real cheap in the Steam sale until its over of course. I found this info page on the starter edition if others are curious also but it cant tell me about players and the community Im afraid.

https://support.ubi.com/en-GB/faqs/0000 ... dition-FAQ
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

A bunch of us have been playing it twice a week for months. Check the Looking For Group thread in PC Games.

If it is good depends on what you want in a game. It's a lot of fun in co-op with friends. It has a lot to unlock, and it has quite a few maps. The main focus of the game is the competitive multiplayer, which tends to be fairly unforgiving. It's a tactical shooter, so one shot, one kill damage models are in place, and if you die, you're out. No respawning. If you like that kind of thing, it's great.

There is no single player mode beyond doing to the co-op terrorist hunts solo.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:18 am The main focus of the game is the competitive multiplayer, which tends to be fairly unforgiving. It's a tactical shooter, so one shot, one kill damage models are in place, and if you die, you're out. No respawning. If you like that kind of thing, it's great.
I played Tom Clancy's Siege for a few hours on a couple of Uplay free weekends. I would be the kind of game I would have really gotten into ten years ago, but as Blackhawk notes, it is really unforgiving for those of us with the tactical reaction speed of a sloth on barbiturates. But overall it is a very well done game. Definitely much better to play in a team of friends.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

All of you fans of Faerie Solitaire...you should find that you now own a remastered edition. Just sayin'.
I have but one advocate.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Nice catch! They're also saying achievements are coming and that trading cards will be added once they sell the minimum number of copies STEAM now requires for card support. Didn't know that was a thing, but there you go.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I need help. I reinstalled Freelancer and added a graphics mod and one that increases the cruise speed.

Now Im reinstalling Fallout 3. But Im going to spend $2.50 and just get it on the Steam sale. Dont have any interest in the DLCs for it so that saves me $7. I know what Ill do though. Ill spend a week MODn it then Ill delete it and Freelancer without much touching them. Its my new fad.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Daehawk wrote: Now Im reinstalling Fallout 3. But Im going to spend $2.50 and just get it on the Steam sale. Dont have any interest in the DLCs for it so that saves me $7. I know what Ill do though. Ill spend a week MODn it then Ill delete it and Freelancer without much touching them. Its my new fad.
Modding is easier and better if you have all the dlc.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:25 am I need help.
Try new games. As they say, you can never go back.

I've found myself doing the same thing from time to time. I realize that what i'm trying to do is recover a 'golden age' from the past, reliving a few great memories over and over. While I do so, a hundred new memories from games I've never tried never get made. Invariably, replaying a bunch of stuff I've already seen then results in burnout and I go into a gaming slump.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

JetFred wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:54 pm All of you fans of Faerie Solitaire...you should find that you now own a remastered edition. Just sayin'.
I loved that game! Did a review for it was back in the day when I was writing for Gaming Trend. The developer was one of the nicest guys I’ve ever run into.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:33 pm
JetFred wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:54 pm All of you fans of Faerie Solitaire...you should find that you now own a remastered edition. Just sayin'.
I loved that game! Did a review for it was back in the day when I was writing for Gaming Trend. The developer was one of the nicest guys I’ve ever run into.
I saw JetFred had activity on this and installed the new version last night and played for an hour. I love this game!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

There's just something about the Pillars of Eternity combat and/or character development system that I simply don't understand.

I recently played through the first 4 hours of Tyranny again. I have it set at the lowest difficulty, I'm liberally using spells, buffs, and talents, I've built all my characters according to recommended online builds, and I've got the best equipment I can find. Yet nearly every encounter still sees me with one or two dead characters, or barely squeaking by with a sliver of health. I've watched some "beginners guides" videos, read up on the combat system, and think I’m doing it right, but still constantly get my ass kicked. I can’t for the life of me figure out why.

Tried Pillars if Eternity three times (twice on PC and once on PS4)...ended up frustrated and quit because of the same issues. I wish I could figure out what it was.