Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

JetFred

Re: PC Gaming Randomness

Post by JetFred »

Z-Corn wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:11 pm I saw JetFred had activity on this and installed the new version last night and played for an hour. I love this game!
Stalker.
I have but one advocate.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I got Pillars when it came out on its first cheap sale. When I tried I just couldn't get into it. I think I tried again and quit. A few months back I tried again and this time got going. I played until I got to the first big city on the water then took a break. The 1 week break turned into months. I kept it installed hoping to get back to it. But I deleted it recently. Didn't see myself finishing it and figure I got my money from ti. Still felt a bit bad about it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Bought Fallout 3 yesterday for a replay. Ive been modding games since about 2 months after I got my first PC in 1994 by making map wads for DOOM II. This game is testing me. The mod manager keeps crashing and wont let me set it up like I used to. tried the other supposedly better one Mod organizer but it wouldn't work right at all. The game crashes...I think Im going to have to simply delete it all and start over.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thats that. 2 installs and both times it simply stops working when loading. Thats the error too..Fallout 3 has stopped working. All I wanted were 7 mods installed. 7. I think my first play of it i had 3. I got 5 installed then installed 2 together and it fails. I have such a lack of gaming caring I just deleted it and all mods and managers. Dont care. Next game.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Did you follow the Fallout 3 setup guide that was linked a while back? It won't work in Windows 10 without some tweaks.

/edit - Here.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thanks but I use Win 7. And Im the one who posted that guide. Ill look at it again though. May fool with it another time. Also its the Steam version and not my CDs so was hoping it was the latest update.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:40 pm Thanks but I use Win 7. And Im the one who posted that guide. Ill look at it again though. May fool with it another time. Also its the Steam version and not my CDs so was hoping it was the latest update.
I have the Steam GOTY version, and I had to make the changes that you linked in order to run the game. The ini tweaking to get the game running on a modern OS never was part of any official patch -- Bethesda itself never supported anything newer than XP/Vista.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Playing Submerged. I'm not an achievement hound, but I feel I may be able to get a full completion on this one. :D The puzzles look easy enough. Only 2 hours into it, and I'm already like 50-60% done in the main game, but 10% of the secrets only.

-----

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $3703 ($2399 with sales)
  • Games owned: 1051
  • Games played: 691 (65%)
  • Hours on record: 8,835.5h
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Reinstalled FO3. Followed the guide. Im sure its helped but I also noticed two very easy things to see that I didn't last couple of tries. two different mods require the DLCs and it actually shows this in the manager in red but I never looked. I installed them and noticed one I could turn off the broken part and the other I had to simply remove the mod. I KNOW I used EVE my first play through but now it requires the DLC to run. Thats stupid and it sucks. I love the colors and such it adds.

I can remember only 3 mods I used the first time in 2008...a body replacer I cannot find, EVE, and a radroach glow. I dont want much more than that now..UI, graphics, some glows and a body. Ill be good.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:13 pm I KNOW I used EVE my first play through but now it requires the DLC to run. Thats stupid and it sucks. I love the colors and such it adds.
By the time the Game of the Year editions roll out, most mods for Fallout and Elder Scrolls do that. It is nighmarish to support every possible combination of game + DLC.

A version for the base game.
A version for the base game plus DLC 1.
A version for the base game plus DLC 2.
A version for the base game plus DLC 3.
A version for the base game plus DLC 1 and 2.
A version for the base game plus DLC 1 and 3.
A version for the base game plus DLC 2 and 3.
A version for the base game plus all DLC.

At some point the developer is going to say, "You can get the whole shebang for ten bucks, and 90% of people will have all the DLC. It just isn't worth it to support it this way anymore." It eases their development time. It reduces the amount they have to support. It also opens up new possibilities when you can take advantage of scripts and assets that are only in the DLC (which many do.)
KDH

Post by KDH »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:07 pm
KDH wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:55 am ...

:character-blues: ... The Original _ Image _ is available now .. Only on GOG

$14.99
Welcome back to the family.

Mafia is now available DRM-free and only on GOG.com.

The action/adventure classic that you really shouldn't refuse, finally returns. Embark on a celebrated open-world thriller and follow Tommy Angelo's rise (or fall, depending on your perspective) to a perilous life of high-stakes crime in 1930s America. The city of Lost Heaven is your playground, as long as you don't let the police catch you in the act, wise guy.

NOTE: This rerelease of Mafia has an edited soundtrack and does not include any licensed music.

I finished that game, but every time I return to it I get my ass handed to me walking the girlfriend home .. and then she won't return my calls

Direct Link
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
There was a good deal of demand for this, as over 10,000 now-happy users included it on the GOG community wishlist. Word is: "Originally released in 2002, Mafia is a love letter to an era of big band and zoot suits. Its attention to minute detail brings a world to life in ways all but unmatched since, and that's enough of a reason to revisit this absolute classic – now fully compatible with modern computers, only on GOG.com."

Just wanted to mention that Mafia is also now available on Steam.

Just wanted to mention that .. there is a widescreen / HD / Camera / Texture MOD .. available for this game
Spoiler:
:horse:
News
Mafia Remastered adds new HD textures, improves water & 3D models, enables widescreen & more
December 31, 2017 John Papadopoulos 6 Comments

Modder ‘spartaque12’ has released a brand new community modpack for the first classic Mafia game. Mafia Remastered is basically a collection of mods aiming to improve Mafia’s graphics, and all of the mods were carefully selected to maintain the game’s atmosphere.

Going into more details, Mafia Remastered features a widescreen fix (for those gaming at widescreen monitors), a camera fix (via which players can change the distance between camera and auto), enables mip-maps for almost all textures in game and brings new HD interface and fonts.

Furthermore, this community modpack features real car brands, new HD textures, shader water improvements, new HQ weapons models, new high-quality 3D models, better traffic draw distance and road signs near the entrance to the city.

Those interested can download the Mafia Remastered mod from _HERE_. Below you can also find a video showcasing all of its features.

Enjoy!
Ain't nobody got time for that
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

So I just read the above and got the itch to reinstall Mafia. I have the original game in the little box with three CDs. So I popped Disc 1 of 3 into my Win7 optical drive and... damn, it keeps ejecting it :(. Finally after the umpteenth time the disc doesn't get ejected. I click the button to install and it starts making now, but then I get a pop-up saying "Please insert Mafia CD 1". And I remove and reinsert and click OK and damn it still wants that CD 1.

So, quick internet search and I found an item about changing the properties of the executable on CD to Windows XP SP3 to get it to run. I did that and voilà!, it is installing. Really, really, slowly. But it is installing :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

If there is a key on one of the disks or manual, you might be able to add it to steam.

Not sure when this became possible versus mafia release. Worth a shot
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

GreenGoo wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:37 pm If there is a key on one of the disks or manual, you might be able to add it to steam.

I couldn't find any key :(, but in the box I did find a rebate coupon good for $100 off any Alienware System powered by the AMD Athlon XP Processor. Gosh, will they still honor it? :D

Also found my receipt for the game from Electronics Boutique.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
KDH

Post by KDH »

GreenGoo wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:37 pm If there is a key on one of the disks or manual, you might be able to add it to steam.

I don't think that steam option works the way you (and myself, at one time) are thinking it does

Add Non-Steam Games to a Library

How can I add non-Steam games to my Library in Steam?

Important:

This will only add a shortcut to your game in the Steam client. This will not allow you to download updates for your game through Steam, nor allow you to use this game as proof of ownership for your Steam account.

Adding a shortcut to a non-Steam game

Launch Steam.
Click the Games menu, choose Add a Non-Steam Game to My Library.
Browse for games on your computer or put a check next to the game(s) you wish to add to the Library.
Click on "Add Selected Programs".
support.steampowered.com
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That's a different function. You aren't adding a non-Steam game, you're adding a retail key for a Steam game. I redeemed my Fallout 3 key on Steam years ago.
KDH

Post by KDH »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:28 pm That's a different function. You aren't adding a non-Steam game, you're adding a retail key for a Steam game. I redeemed my Fallout 3 key on Steam years ago.
are you sure the time difference doesn't Fubar that .. Mafia just became available on steam last month .. versus a retail CD-Key purchase from before Steam was even a twinkle in its daddy's eye

or sumthin' :oops:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Uh, der...

I switched from the Fallout thread to this one and something crossed in my brain - I thought the discussion was about the Fallout 3 key. :doh:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont have a dedicated FO3 thread so just been posting here.

Speaking of it...I must have used a mod wit ha dark dark night. Like a hole in the ground dark night. Even with the pip boy light I cant see 1 foot. Its pitch black. Nothing. I need to do a quest at night and I cant do anything at night but wait until daylight.

Now to find a new mod to lighten the dark.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I never did find a good one. I ended up using one of the pitch black ones and manually editing the values in the GECK.

Elder Scrolls and Fallout have convinced me that most people have never actually been in the outdoors at night, at least not without a bright light in hand to ruin their night vision. I figure they just waiting until midnight, turned off the light in their bedroom, and based their mod on what they could see. It's rare that night is ever that dark, and I've seen some mods that made it dark to such a degree (they call it 'realistic') that you'd only find in nature if you were in a cave.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I got a Fellout compatible one that lightens it pretty good then got a pipboy light mod....makes it brighter depending on the one you load...something like 500', 1200', 300' 1 mile hehe. I use the 1200 or 500.,..its ok.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wow is there a shortage of ammo or what? Lol. Ive done about 10 quests maybe. All the first main quests from Megaton at least. But even buying and looting all the ammo I can get Im out of ammo really. The last den of baddies I went to I had about 20 assault rifle ammo and 5 or 6 round for everything else. I ran out and had to bust out a sledge hammer...really. Was ugly lol.

not sure how my next quests will be....chapter 2 of the survival book, GNR , a ant den. Should prove interesting at least.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

The first thing I do when I play F3/FNV is look for the gunsmithing mods. I can't stand going without ammo.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I took the scrounger perk and its helping now.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

You guys convinced me to go back into FO3. :) I finished it once, but NOT on my current PC. It was... tolerable, I guess. I knew I played FNV to death on my current one. :D

So far... Got it working in single mon mode, got initial title screen to load, disabled GFWL, got Nexus Mod manager working, downloading Unofficial FO3 Patch... :)

I think I'll go start a new topic on FO3 for 2018. :D
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

If you haven't tried it, I'd highly recommend What Remains of Edith Finch. It only takes a couple hours to finish, and is an absolutely wonderful tale of the tragic "curse" that befalls a family in the pacific northwest.

It's a really fantastic, creative, and moving game. An prime example of what excellent storytellers can do in this medium.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Do we need to stage an intervention for Exodor? This is JeffV level of game play.

Enlarge Image
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Either that, or he just left it alt-tabbed and never exited. :)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Kasey Chang wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:19 pm Either that, or he just left it alt-tabbed and never exited. :)
thatsthejoke.tiff
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I guess I'm weird for not leaving my PC on 24/7? At one point I did, but maybe it's just and old-man thing to turn it off at night? I dunno.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:43 pm I guess I'm weird for not leaving my PC on 24/7? At one point I did, but maybe it's just and old-man thing to turn it off at night? I dunno.
I put mine in sleep mode when I'm not in the room, as it is like leaving a hair dryer running, it heats up the place.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:43 pm I guess I'm weird for not leaving my PC on 24/7? At one point I did, but maybe it's just and old-man thing to turn it off at night? I dunno.
I shut mine down every night, and always have. Of course, I'm an old man, so this proves nothing.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sure Ive posted this before but when I got my first one in 94 I turned it off each night. About 3 months later a guy who knew PCs in and out who became my friend in RL told me its harder on the components to shut it down and restart it all the time. Gets a shock of power. Who knows. I started leaving it on from then on.

Came a storm years later and with my PC on and my TV off and both on the same circuit a lightning bolt hit it and killed the tv but didn't harm the PC at all. Figured that proved a good reason too :). I sit and use mine in storms. Ive known others to shut theirs off fast and run away hahah.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:33 am Sure Ive posted this before but when I got my first one in 94 I turned it off each night. About 3 months later a guy who knew PCs in and out who became my friend in RL told me its harder on the components to shut it down and restart it all the time. Gets a shock of power. Who knows. I started leaving it on from then on.
I've heard the same thing as well, and I'd likely leave it on, but it's in my bedroom, and the hum of the fans would irk me when I'm trying to get to sleep.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Starting your PC reduces its lifespan. True - 25 years ago. Like so many others, it became 'common knowledge' that never got updated. Anything newer and leaving it on is more harmful than shutting it down/restarting it, as the heat is worse than the restart.

It also costs a lot more.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

After owning a lifetime's worth of about a dozen home desktops, I can only recall one that I had to replace due to a breakdown (cracked motherboard). The rest just got superseded when they became obsolete due to slow processors or other components that weren't worth upgrading.
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:35 am After owning a lifetime's worth of about a dozen home desktops, I can only recall one that I had to replace due to a breakdown (cracked motherboard). The rest just got superseded when they became obsolete due to slow processors or other components that weren't worth upgrading.
I have been buying computers since 1989 and I have had the same experience. My PCs have had to be replaced due to obsolescence and not because of them "wearing out." As a matter of fact, I kept my Windows 95, 98, XP, Vista, and Windows 7 PCs after I purchased their replacements and they all still work.
The education of a man is never completed until he dies. --Robert E. Lee
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

All of mine sleep when not in use and have for years and in that low power state the fans aren't running so there's no noise coming from the box. And I don't recall the last time any of them were "turned off" unless power failures count. :wink:
-mf
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

I hibernate my PC all the time when it's not in use. I just got a new one this summer, turns out it uses 1/2 the power of the old one and is about 4x faster. :) My power company has an app that lets you see your hourly electricity usage. I can tell when I'm using the computer vs when I'm not. The worst hogs are the washer and (gas!) dryer. And my plasma TV. Furnace is a persistent low draw over an hour compared to the summer when it's off.
There is no hug button. Sad!
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Greybriar wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:23 am
jztemple2 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:35 am After owning a lifetime's worth of about a dozen home desktops, I can only recall one that I had to replace due to a breakdown (cracked motherboard). The rest just got superseded when they became obsolete due to slow processors or other components that weren't worth upgrading.
I have been buying computers since 1989 and I have had the same experience. My PCs have had to be replaced due to obsolescence and not because of them "wearing out." As a matter of fact, I kept my Windows 95, 98, XP, Vista, and Windows 7 PCs after I purchased their replacements and they all still work.
In the past I have always just got rid of my old computer when I got a new one but this time I decided to keep the old one. It is running Vista. I just figured the jump to Win10 might be enough to make some of my old games unplayable and by keeping the old computer those games still are playable.
Last edited by Scuzz on Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter