Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

gbasden

Re: PC Gaming Randomness

Post by gbasden »

MonkeyFinger wrote:
gbasden wrote:
Daehawk wrote:I HATE HATE HATE games that incorporate cards into them. Id enjoy them a lot more..or enjoy the mat all if the cards were not a part of them. I just cant wrap my head around using them or understanding them. I just dont get them and it never sinks in. Now Im trying out Paragon and it would be great if only there were no cards to fool with. Instead of an added bonus like they intend them to be I look at them as a burden to fun. A game Id rate a 10 otherwise Id give a 4 to because it has cards.
But why? Hand of Fate was a fantastic game. So is Hearthstone or Gwent. What about cards is weird for you?
Agree on HoF and got in on their recent boardgame version Kickstarter. 8-)

And funny, I tend to greatly enjoy games that incorporate cards into them well. To each their own.

Damn it! I would have backed their kickstarter if I'd known about it. :(
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I enjoyed HoF. Might want to reinstall and play some more, now that I think of it.

Put me in the "Pro" cards camp. I don't enjoy all of those games, but it's a mechanic I enjoy when done well.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The card mechanic in Hard West is pretty cool. Not only do the individual cards give your characters a bonus, but if you can make a poker hand, you' get a "set" bonus as well. I'm normally meh about cards, but it really works in this game because of the Western theme.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Cards are hit or miss with me. I'm not opposed to card mechanics, but without interesting and varied cards...no thanks.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Just a heads up, Homeworld: Cataclysm is on sale at GOG.com now for $10, under the name Homeworld: Emergence. It might not be the most tactically perfect Homeworld, but it's got the best, creepiest storyline and I love it. The first encounters with The Beast are chilling, and it never lets up.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
KDH

Post by KDH »

I do not see a thread for this, so ... according to GeForce.com

Cliff Bleszinski's new game .. Law Breakers ... will be available for FREE play (Open-Beta), From 9am PT tomorrow, June 30th, to 9pm PT July 3rd

the game releases on August 8, 2017
From 9am PT tomorrow, June 30th, to 9pm PT July 3rd, you can play the LawBreakers "Rise Up" PC beta for free by downloading the game from Steam. If you've not heard of LawBreakers before now, it's a fast-paced first-person shooter from Boss Key Productions, founded by Cliff Bleszinski, the former Epic Games design director who helped create several Unreal Tournament and Gears of War games.
YouTube: LawBreakers | Rise or Fall (2m)

YouTube: LawBreakers | Vertigo Map Overview (2m)

:whistle: maybe we'll have a thread afterwards
Ain't nobody got time for that
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I was in closed beta and deleted it after a few goes at it. Could not get my controls right. Not a knock against the game. Just got tired of messing with it. Also in the matches I was in others were moving fine and killed me repeatedly.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
KDH

Post by KDH »

... Enlarge Image

:horse: ... Paradox Interactive Acquires Triumph Studios
Paradox Interactive is pleased to announce it has acquired Triumph Studios, the creators of the critically-acclaimed Age of Wonders and Overlord series.

Founded in 1997 by Lennart Sas and Arno van Wingerden, both of who remain with the company today, Triumph Studios is known as one of the top-tier strategy games developers worldwide. The Age of Wonders-series has sold in excess of one million copies to date.

Following the acquisition, the current team and management will all remain with Triumph Studios. All ongoing projects will remain in development, and will be published by Paradox Interactive.

“Triumph Studios is a developer of our own heart. They are world-leading within their niche and have built a large and dedicated community over the years, counting quite a few Paradox employees among their hardcore fans. We have great faith in Lennart, Arno and the Triumph team, and our main focus now is to ensure that they can continue to create their magic under new ownership,” said Fredrik Wester, CEO at Paradox Interactive.

“We have been approached by others before with an interest to acquire us, but this is not merely a business transaction for us. This is a liaison with a partner that can help us grow sustainably by ensuring the stability and continuity needed for us to do more of what we do best - develop some of the best turn-based strategy games on the market today. Paradox is a good match for us both culturally and games-wise. They get it. It’s as simple as that, and we are extremely excited about the acquisition,” said Lennart Sas, CEO and co-founder of Triumph Studios.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I tried Hard West and won the first couple missions. Somehow I didn't like the meta game (mining, etc.)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Dove in to a 2014 game, called Hegemony:Rome this weekend. It was so close to being the next long play game for me. There are like 170 western European cities on the map and you need to manipulate the environment throughout Europe to wage campaigns.

The game needs a successor where you can do more and where technology changes (to date in my game it hasn't) over time. The shell of the game is exactly how I imagine a the shell of unit based war game with long campaigns to work. You can in a moment scroll out to see all of western Europe and then then scroll into any precise part down to the troops in their formations.

I could probably get some good miles out of the game. It looks like it is so close but not quite one of those game that I could play again and again and again.
KDH

Post by KDH »

:coffee: ... John Rome.ro will receive an Honorary Award at the 7th Edition of the Fun & Serious Game Festival

some:
We owe this creator of legendary games such as “Quake”, “Doom” and “Wolfenstein” much of the unique style and many of the characteristics of today’s action and shooting video-games. This US designer and developer is considered to be the father of “first-person shooter games” and the “death match” concept.

Fun & Serious, the largest video-game festival in Europe, which will be staging its seventh edition from 8 to 11 December, has announced the first of the Honorary Awards it will be presenting this year. The recipient is John Romero, the multi-award-winning American designer and developer, who, throughout a professional career that stretches over four decades, has not only been responsible for bringing us iconic games such as “Wolfenstein 3D”, “Quake” and “Doom”, but has defined the most recognisable features of the genre known as first-person shooter games with his unique style and creative contributions.

I wonder if he paints his own nails?
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
romero.com
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I like John and he deserves this award but what has he done well or for PC gaming since his id days?
KDH

Post by KDH »

Daehawk wrote:I like John and he deserves this award but what has he done well or for PC gaming since his id days?

you mean .. what has he done since Hyperspace Delivery Boy?
Spoiler:
he and his wife give keynote speeches and workshop classes
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Brenda Romero is best known for her work on the Wizardry series of role-playing video games and, more recently, the non-digital series The Mechanic is the Message. She has worked in game development since 1981 and has credits on 49 game titles.
KDH

Post by KDH »

... Enlarge Image
:mrgreen: ... Battlesloths 2025: The Great Pizza Wars .. Play for Free All Weekend

I guess that means until Sunday sometime .. The only numbers in the post were the 2025 in the title
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Just starting in Starpoint Gemini 2, another Elite wannabe, though the starmap is on a hex grid, that's somewhat interesting.

EDIT: Progress is slow. I'm level 11 now, just upgraded to a corvette, but missions I'm tackling now are cruisers and whatnot. When I was a gunboat I was facing other gunboats. Hmmm... Ships and equipment cost a TON in this game, and making money is a matter of capturing ships you come across with your marines, but you don't have too many of them. (The starting ship only has 20) But each captured Lyra class gunship is worth about 70K.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I started Neverwinter Nights 2 a week or so ago. I am not sure if I will finish it but I will try. It is interesting in that I much prefer Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale or the Divine Divinity games but from NWN2 I can now see the crafting option for the first time. I assume this predates the first Divine Divinity game?

Also the party death mechanic makes the game a lot easier. If somebody dies you don't have to worry about it because they come back to life if you win the battle.

Very linear, although they try hiding it in the cities. I did play NWN1 but I remember very little of it.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I own Starpoint Gemini 2 but never gave it much of a chance. Sounds fun though.

Finished both Neverwinter Nights games. Something about them just didn't feel right. They were ok but like you say BG, IWD,and DD were much better games.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Ships in SPG2 are tiny, and ship crew are tiny too. "Battleships" are like 50-60 crew only.

Combat is a weird mix of wing commander and rebel galaxy. There is full 3D, and you have heavy weapons as well as turrets. Most of the killing is doen with turrets, as heavy weapons only have very limited shots (6-8). The little ships may not even have a heavy weapon.

Starting gunship has 1 heavy and 1 360 turret. The corvette I upgraded to has a 4X front hemisphere turret, 2 side turrets, and 1 heavy.

General weapon types are plasma, beam, railgun for the light weapons, and a few different heavys (shockwave, missile, fusion torpedo...) but they mainly differ in looks. There are way too many variations on weapons (most weapons have Mk 1, 2, and 3 versions), and there is no good way to tell them apart (what makes 1 better than the other).

There are buffs available (presented as one-shot emergency boosts for certain stats, like speed, shield, etc.) as well as skill-based perks that basically acts like spells.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Next month I can afford a new $60 game and Im considering a console game instead of PC..Horizon Zero Dawn.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Starlancer is a GREAT game.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Daehawk wrote:Starlancer is a GREAT game.
Frankly, I got tired of torpedo defense in space fighter games. You'd think if they can build fighters that go fast they can build torpedoes that go faster. :)
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

So when I get the new PC I can play Dragon age:Inquisition. Steam doesn't seem to have it, nor does Gamergate. So where do you get it from?

Amazon?
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Scuzz wrote:So when I get the new PC I can play Dragon age:Inquisition. Steam doesn't seem to have it, nor does Gamergate. So where do you get it from?

Amazon?
Origin
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

Scuzz wrote:So when I get the new PC I can play Dragon age:Inquisition. Steam doesn't seem to have it, nor does Gamergate. So where do you get it from?

Amazon?
Dragon Age: Inquisition is sold by: Newegg (download) for $11.50 U.S., Amazon (boxed) for $13.90 U.S., and from EA's Origin (download) for $19.99 U.S. There are probably other sources, but those are the ones I found first.

It's an Electronic Arts game, so you may have to have an Origin account to play Dragon Age: Inquisition.
The education of a man is never completed until he dies. --Robert E. Lee
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

For some reason I want a good ant farm sim. The last ant game I played was Sim Ant and to say it was lacking would be...lacking.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Greybriar wrote:

Amazon?
Dragon Age: Inquisition is sold by: Newegg (download) for $11.50 U.S., Amazon (boxed) for $13.90 U.S., and from EA's Origin (download) for $19.99 U.S. There are probably other sources, but those are the ones I found first.

It's an Electronic Arts game, so you may have to have an Origin account to play Dragon Age: Inquisition.
I noticed the older Dragon Age games were on Steam but I guess EA is holding back on DA:I. Thanks for the research.

Now I wonder if I have an Origin account?
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If not its worth it to get one as they give away a free game each month.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Scuzz wrote:
I noticed the older Dragon Age games were on Steam but I guess EA is holding back on DA:I.
EA is holding back on everything that was released after the launch of Origin.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
KDH

Post by KDH »

... Enlarge Image

:horse: ... Join the Open Beta for ... Hand of the Gods: SMITE Tactics
The SMITE Website announces that open beta testing is now underway for Hand of the Gods: SMITE Tactics, a new turn-based strategy game using virtual cards. This is a free-to-play game, so this news represents the kind of soft launch these games often employ. Here are the details:

Open Beta starts today for Hand of the Gods: SMITE Tactics, the new turn-based strategy collectible card game set in the SMITE universe.

Throughout Closed Beta, Hand of the Gods has become a more polished and streamlined game that is fun for players of every skill level. These changes were directly driven by player feedback through Hi-Rez Studios’ unique community-focused development process.

“Over the course of Closed Beta we’ve reworked the strategic elements of gameplay and deck building while making combat much easier to read and understand,” said Scott Lussier, Lead Designer on Hand of the Gods. “Today with the launch of Open Beta, we invite everyone to download Hand of the Gods for free and lead the legends of mythology into battle.”

To celebrate the Open Beta launch, Hand of the Gods has introduced the new Venus Competitor’s Pack. This pack will bolster the decks of new players and veterans alike by unlocking over 70 cards and a number of bonuses, including a special Venus skin for Aphrodite in SMITE.

The Hand of the Gods Open Beta is free-to-play. Players may download the game from the Hand of the Gods website.
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
KDH

Post by KDH »

... Enlarge Image

:o ... Join the Beta for: .... BAFL: Brakes Are For Losers
Publisher Playdius and developer Oudidon announce beta testing is now underway for BAFL: Brakes Are For Losers, an arcade racing game played with an old-school top-down perspective. You can sign up on the official website. Here's the plan:

BAFL - Brakes Are For Losers is a top-down, single-screen racing game created as a tribute to good old games such as Super Sprint, Indy Heat or Super Off Road. It offers challenging solo and multiplayer fun for up to 8 players!

This week is the first lap of the BAFL warm-up race and every new week, we'll distribute beta keys for new players to join in. In order to access the beta, just fill in the form to have a chance to receive a Steam key.
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kasey Chang wrote:Just starting in Starpoint Gemini 2, another Elite wannabe, though the starmap is on a hex grid, that's somewhat interesting.

EDIT: Progress is slow. I'm level 11 now, just upgraded to a corvette, but missions I'm tackling now are cruisers and whatnot. When I was a gunboat I was facing other gunboats. Hmmm... Ships and equipment cost a TON in this game, and making money is a matter of capturing ships you come across with your marines, but you don't have too many of them. (The starting ship only has 20) But each captured Lyra class gunship is worth about 70K.
Joystick, gamepad, or kb/mouse?
KDH

Post by KDH »

... Enlarge Image

:horse: ... Gettysburg: the Tide Turns <---(steam)
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
In 2013 Shenandoah Studios launched a kick starter for a new game they were making called Gettysburg: The Tide Turns. Despite a successful kickstarter and several very successful mobile strategy games, Shenandoah went bankrupt. In the fall of 2014 the assets of Shenandoah Studios were acquired by Slitherine Ltd and after a substantial amount of time re-coding the game and testing Gettysburg: The Tide Turns has finally been launched.
According to Historical Gamer (youtuber) .. Slitherine will be honoring the proposed kickstarter promises and structure

Gettysburg: The Tide Turns - First Look ... by HistoricalGamer <--- (39m)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

This is another category of gaming, turn based wargames, that I no longer seem to be able to get much out of.

In the past I did, however, also enjoy games that operated at a strategic or operational level that would generate tactical battles you could play out. Sort of like the Total War series, but with turn based battles. I had one of these for the American Civil War (can't remember the name) and I really enjoyed the tactical battles because, unlike games like this Gettysburg one, you didn't know your opponent's strength or locations ahead of time.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I only ever enjoyed 2 Civil War games...

North and South on the original NES

And Sid Meier's Gettysburg! on PC in the 1990s sometime.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Daehawk wrote: Joystick, gamepad, or kb/mouse?

KB/mouse. This game feels a bit like that other space game I tried earlier, DarkStar One, as it has that fly or selection menu feel.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I liked DSO but never got close to finishing it.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Well, crap... had no clue Shenandoah Studios went bankrupt. Explains the deafening silence from them now that I think about it. :cry:
-mf
KDH

Post by KDH »

... Enlarge Image
There is now a Demo version of: ... BUTCHER .. if BUTCH'ing is your thing
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
BUTCHER is a fast-paced 2D shooter and a blood-soaked love letter to the cult classics of the genre. If kicking corpses into a lava pit and adorning walls with blood is your idea of a good time, BUTCHER is THE game for you.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Reached L20 in SPG2. Not sure where am I in terms of storyline, but L20 and I'm barely in a frigate.

Upgraded from the previous corvette by basically rolling good on marine boarding action. The frigate has FIVE heavy weapon mounts: 3 front and 1 left and 1 right, as well as 6 light weapon mounts (4 F, 1 L, 1 R) so firepower is definitely better. With a bit of luck I can take on a cruiser.

Had to drag a captured frigate from battle in normal space, as somehow going into mini-warp breaks my grappler. Had to just sit there and take any hit from enemies chasing me. Fortunately my shields are thick enough they didn't do any permanent damage.

Now I can keep capturing frigates and hopefully, upgrade to a destroyer in the near future. Each of these frigates are worth nearly 100K. May take a while to make a few million. :D
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I gave it a quick go with kb/mouse but didn't like it. Scroll wheel for thrusters? Felt off. Dug out my joystick. Going to try it next go.

Ok forget joystick..omg that game is not made for a stick at all.

I dont think this is the game to scratch my space itech. the controls are just horrid. Why cant they be as simple as the very old Freelancer? I cannot pass the first mission. Once I thought I was getting used to the controls I kill the pirate and get to the planet like it says but nothing happens. When I try to get even closer I run into it and blow up.

So guess my looking for a good space game is not over. May retry VoidExpanse.