Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Skinypupy

Re: Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

Post by Skinypupy »

And speaking of Final Fantasy Tactics, there was recently a Nvidia GeForce Now data leak, which apparently revealed a number of previously unannounced games.
Keep in mind, none of these projects have been officially confirmed. Here's the full list (Reddit via Push Square):

Chrono Cross Remaster
Final Fantasy Tactics Remaster
Final Fantasy IX Remake (possibly just a reference to the recent remaster)
Kingdom Hearts IV
Resident Evil 4 Remake (previously rumoured)
Street Fighter 6
Dragon's Dogma 2 (previously rumoured)
Monster Hunter 6
Grand Theft Auto Remasters (previously rumoured)
BioShock 2022
Mirror's Edge Remaster
Untitled Respawn Game
Titanfall 3
Tekken 8
The Talos Principle 2
Crysis 4
Batman Arkham Knight Remaster
XCOM 3
Injustice 3: Gods Will Fall
Destroy All Humans 3
Sniper Elite 5
Cities: Skylines 2
Fight for Middle-Earth
Mortal Kombat XII
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Remaster (recently debunked by Activision)
Helldivers 2
Remaster/remakes of Chrono Cross, FF Tactics, and/or FF IX would be truly glorious indeed.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Q1K3 is a 13KB amuse-bouche of Quake worship you can play in five minutes in your browser. (Kotaku's crappy, irrelevant article)

I don't know exactly how impressive this actually is in 2021, but I do know that 13KB is frigging microscopic. This was designed for a contest in which all games are below that size, but most of them are extremely simplistic (and not 3D). While this is obviously heavily inspired by Quake, I'm actually reminded more of the crappy 1994 SNES version of Spectre in terms of the feelings the game evokes for me personally. A kind of eerie, minimalist retro-future.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I think I am about 80% through the main campaign in The Outer Worlds, and just finished the Eridanos DLC.

I missed Felix on the docks and now have to do his companion mission. I've already done all the other companion missions, IIRC.

The only main mission I kinda flubbed was getting MCI and Iconoclasts together. Somehow I still got the moment in my quarters from Zora, even though I killed her and Graham in the final battle. ;)

The Eridanos DLC was nicely done, provided a couple more missions when you thought it was over. That final mission was a doozy, but I think my weapons did a lot more damage than the game designers anticipated. as I didn't finish it the "normal" way. I didn't quite like the explanation though.

Time to try the Peril on Gorgon DLC, THEN go back to Halcyon to finish the rest.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:39 pm To my amazement, it booted right up without even plugging it in. Somehow the battery still managed to hold a charge after all that time. :shock:
the batteries in those things were high quality. (the one in my DSLite is still good and has decent battery life)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And that is why I have learned to avoid collectibles.

(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Putting this one here, because it doesn't really deserve it's own thread.

I've been eyeing Captain Tsubasa: Rise of New Champions for a while. It's an anime-inspired soccer game, which sees you managing a player (Tsubasa) and his team up through the ranks from middle school to the World Cup. From the reviews, it looked like it would be a crazy, stylized mix of Shaolin Soccer and NBA Jam'ish over-the-top nonsense. Power shots were accompanied by cutscenes of glowing eagles, hard tackles sent players flying 20 feet in the air, and special moves saw you running impossibly fast circles around defenders. I thought it might be some silly fun, as it received pretty decent reviews. It finally got down to the $20 price point, so I pulled the trigger.

That is - without a doubt - the very worst implementation of video game soccer I have ever played. Ever. Hell, Goal on the NES looks like a shining achievement in sports gaming compared to this crap.

The campaign mode requires you to sit through 15 minutes of unskippable cutscenes between each match, setting up all sorts of melodrama with Tsubasa, his teammates, and rival squads. It's completely uninteresting, and is basically the equivalent of watching Ash Ketchum shouting "LET'S GO TEAM!!" over and over and over again. There's not an ounce of humor or charm in the entire thing, just a bunch of very serious players rambling on with "This is my life's goal, I won't give up!" and "I can't stop now, I have to press on and win!". It's painfully dull and boring.

The games themselves are laughably bad. The controls are fairly simple, but player movement feels very squishy and floaty. On offense, players don't make runs to open areas, so you typically end up sending through balls to space while your teammates run in a completely random direction. They will often simply stand and look at a ball right at their feet while an opponent swoops in to take it, rather than taking possession. The tackle/special move mechanic is completely hit and miss, with players sometimes dribbling through your entire defense with ease, and other times falling over at the slightest touch.

The worst offender is the way the goalies work. They have a skill meter that depletes with each shot they save. Power shots deplete the gauge a lot, while regular shots chip away at it. Once that bar is depleted, the next shot will score. So the entire game devolves into blasting away at the opposing keeper's skill bar with shots you know will have no chance at going in, until that bar is gone. At that point, you know your next shot is guaranteed to score. It completely takes the fun out of the game when you know that you have literally no chance of scoring until you take at least three more power shots to deplete the skill bar.

Add in the most annoying sports game announcer I've ever heard (which you can't toggle off), so-so graphics, broken online play (from what I understand...I didn't bother trying it), and 60 second+ loading times between each of the unskippable cutscenes, and you have a recipe for disaster.

I thought this might be fun, but wow...it's an absolutely terrible soccer game. I can't un-recommend it enough.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im reinstalling RDO . It doesn't show me the megs per second but I timed the first gig and it took about 5 seconds. The game is a little over 100 gig. Like 119 gig. Im thinking 12 gig per minute so around 10 min to install. Step away and return with 2 minutes to go expecting the game to be nearly there and its at 30 gig.

Something is wrong with the internet. :ninja:

EDIT: Its bouncing between 35 megs and 53 megs per sec. Why Rockstar?? Steam doesn't bounce.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I haven't been hugely tempted by any of the Arcade 1UP cabinets...until now. Galaga is my fatal weakness, and that's a really good collection of games overall.
Ms. PAC-MAN

GALAGA

GALAXIAN

DIG DUG

DIG DUG

RALLY-X

THE TOWER OF DRUAGA

GALAGA™’88

MAPPY

ROLLING THUNDER

ROMPERS

KING & BALLOON
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I feel very out-of-the-loop. I only recognize 3 of those (discounting the duplicates).

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Only one I recognized outside of Ms Pac Man, the Galagas, and the Dig Dugs, was Rolling Thunder. That game was fun. I vaguely remember Mappy had something to do with a mouse…?

I’m really tempted, but worry that I’d play it like crazy for a month, then never touch it again.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I recognized four. I was obsessed with arcades, but that phase fizzled out around '84 or '85 for me.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

not really into the fact those mini-cabinets have LCD monitors. there are obvious reasons why, but it's just not the same without a CRT.

(Galaga '88 is a pretty fun update of Galaga from....1988... and i'm pretty good at MAPPY. but even i am not familiar with ROMPERS)

i liked the game selection in the vector graphics one (that had Lunar Lander, Asteroids, Tempest, Major Havoc, Black Widow and i think Red Baron) but an LCD instead of an oscilloscope screen is even more jarring.

EDIT: had to look up Rompers - it's a Namco title from 1989 with a top-down view that involves you pushing over walls on weird cute creatures to pick up keys in various mazes. definitely never played it before, but i'll seek it out now.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I was a Pengo guy.

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

25 years of Tomb Raider.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:12 pm 25 years of Tomb Raider.
:?:

Was this supposed to include a link? Or was it in reference to something above that I missed?

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Funny that you mention that. I picked up TR 1, 2, and 3 from GOG, $6.66 for all 3. The advantage is they play on Win 10 right out of the download. I don't really care much for the more "modern" consolated games, but this is major cluck for the buck. It has been so long that I don't remember much. Have finished 1 and 2, and am half way through #3.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

TheMix wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:44 pm
:?:

Was this supposed to include a link? Or was it in reference to something above that I missed?
It had a video but after watching the video it turned out to be more for a mobile looking game than a real TR game. But with it being the 25th Anniversary of the original TR I just left that part.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:31 am I was a Pengo guy.

weirdly... and completely at random... i was _just now_ telling a younger coworker about Pengo (he had no idea about it). saw this post no more than 10 minutes later
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Was SOMEWHAT tempted by NFS: Hot Pursuit Remastered and NFS Heat combo pack for $14.08, but given I already have a huge backlog I doubt I'll ever play them. Pass.

Don't really want to pay $45 for Forza Horizon 4 Ultimate.

KINDA wanted MechWarrior 5 but I'm waiting for the Gold Edition / Collection as they just released a new DLC. And I can always play Battletech with mods like BTA3062. Pass.

Going back and forth between Hardspace Shipbreaker and Dirt 5.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Guy makes his PC look like a tiny gaming room. The video card is the desk and its even water cooled for the CPU. Video at link.

https://www.techspot.com/news/91393-tak ... gamer.html
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Talk about retro gaming. I'm now playing D2 and Civ3.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Something for Kasey

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Amusing

[PC] New World
Old World from Mohawk Games
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Playing Battlefield V's SP component. The "Billy Bridger" one is fun, and I'd say that tank's turret turns WAY too fast. :) After that I guess I'll try Star Wars Squadrons, as they were giving it away for free.

I think my keyboard quit on me, so I had to haul out my substitute keyboard. I wonder if it's the cable though. I think I pushed the cable a bit crooked?

Then it's time to try clearing a couple of the backlog.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If Im remembering right the original Everquest was $9.89 for a monthly sub. Same as the studio name. I could swear UO was like $9.95 too.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That sounds about right. WoW later set the standard for MMOs ast $14.99, a price that is still looked at as a sort of baseline.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Trying to play Battlefield V's SP component. I'm on the Norway level, and the AI for the mommy keep screwing up. The objective was to "rendezvous at the bridge", except she's NEVER there. I arrived, then her blue dot shows she's 750m away. Ran all the way back there, and she's literally STUCK on the desk (half merged into it). WTF...

So I restart checkpoint, as I've destroyed the substations. Okay, run for the bridge again. Except this time, they put troops back on the ground, AND the towers. I understand reinforcements on the ground, but I've already cleared the towers! I shoot my way through, arrived at the bridge, and this time her distance shows as 1250m away?!?!

Okay, restart checkpoint AGAIN. Run for the bridge again. Shot my way through resistance again. And AGAIN, her distance shows as 750m away.

At this point, I quit.

EDIT: Turns out I am NOT supposed to go UNDER the bridge, which triggers the bug. I have to go across on the normal road surface of the bridge. :-/

EDIT2: Finished that campaign, the tirailleur campaign, AND the last tiger campaign, thus finishing Battlefield V.

Starting on Star Wars Squadrons

Was tempted to buy Mechwarrior 5. They have the full collection, i.e. Jumpship edition for $50 on Fanatical, which is EVERYTHING (main, and 2 DLCs, plus sound tracks and bonus material), but I already have too many games on backlog. *sigh*
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I sorta just noticed that GOG now has a bunch of Star Trek games, mostly from Activision and Interplay

ST: Hidden Evil
ST: Away Team
ST: Elite Force 1 and Elite Force 2
ST: Starfleet Command 3
ST: Bridge Commander

and coming soon

ST: Armada and Armada 2

Unfortunately, no discount for them... they are $10 each. I wrote FAQ for SFC3 and Away Team, but I don't think I ever played Bridge Commander and Elite Force 2, or Hidden Evil, and never really got into the Armada series either.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Own and played all of them. I posted about this at GoG a few weeks ago but not sure where. maybe in Deals. But lots more Trek games than what they have now are out there.

As for Away Team I try to tell people about it who like Xcom and stuff. Its never gotten much love.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Playing Star Wars Squadrons. So far, pretty impressive, except the enemy AI. It seems most of the difficulty was trying to figure out the enemy speed and match, IMHO, but then I am playing at "story mode" difficulty, with a gamepad. The squadrons keep their formation, so if you have the laser capacitors charged you can blast one fighter after another if you shift your aim quick enough, and wipe out a whole squadron with one sweep, in conjunction with your missiles.

Just played through the Republic mission up to where you switch to the Empire (or is that first order?) and about to start the mission.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Bethesda has finally patched Fallout 3 so that it isn't infested with GfWL.

Fallout 3: Game of the Year - Update 1.7.0.4
Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition has been updated and no longer installs Games for Windows Live dependencies. If Fallout 3 was previously installed on Steam, we suggest uninstalling and reinstalling the title.

The title no longer requires Games for Windows Live and will now launch.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:13 pm Bethesda has finally patched Fallout 3 so that it isn't infested with GfWL.

Fallout 3: Game of the Year - Update 1.7.0.4
Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition has been updated and no longer installs Games for Windows Live dependencies. If Fallout 3 was previously installed on Steam, we suggest uninstalling and reinstalling the title.

The title no longer requires Games for Windows Live and will now launch.
This should have been done eight years ago, but it should not have been done now. For one thing, the mechanisms for bypassing GFWL are straightforward, so this really achieved very little. What it did do was update the game's files, which effectively breaks any script extenders tied to it, which in turns breaks most Fallout 3 mods.

All that needs to happen is for the mod authors to update their 10+ year mods. Now, FOSE's authors could do so and a solve a lot of problems, but they've already said it is low on their radar. And Steam is removing the ability to install earlier versions of games. I'm sure that there will be workarounds, probably something involving offline mode to prevent updates and manually downloading someone's backed up .exe file (which is both dangerous and illegal), but hey - go Bethesda!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Especially with Nexus changing their ways to be evil as well.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Grabbed some stuff from my shelf to look at while a game loaded.....Grabbed cd case / disk holder version of MS Flight Sim for Windows 95...........Sim City 3000........and Zoo Tycoon.

Gotta say Zoo Tycoon and Sim City 3000 look interesting enough for me to think about installing them. May do that tomorrow. The Zoo Tycoon one has 2 disk and the 2nd says Marine Mania and Dinosaur Digs....guess thats what it means by 'Complete Edition'
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i'm trying to see if i can complete every single level in Human Resource Machine. it gets a bit annoying ... but i'm still enjoying it
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Not really feeling the vibe in Star Wars Squadrons, as the SP campaign feels like playing a flying puzzle and super-archaic conventions. Like... dive bomb something IN SPACE! More exhaust vents, of course. Hah! They basically made me do a super-mini Deathstar II run. Bomb the exhaust ports until they open up the main exhaust. Go inside and wreck everything, and get back out (with boost) before they close up the main door again. Actually got it destroyed and was heading back out when I apparently bounced off something and lost sight of the gate, and needless to say, died. Checkpoint put it back in almost the same location, with exit clearly ahead. Adjusted, and boosted, and was able to clear the closing gate. Lost an achievement (did not die) but otherwise mission successful. But really, "dive bomb" something in space. Haha.

Went to play Simulacra, a semi-horror puzzle "lost phone" game. I think I'm halfway through without reading any guides. It's not a hard game, and production value is pretty good.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:27 pm Especially with Nexus changing their ways to be evil as well.
Explain
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:36 am
Daehawk wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:27 pm Especially with Nexus changing their ways to be evil as well.
Explain
The Nexus is essentially taking control of mods published to their site away from the authors. Longer explanations and discussions are out there, but a bunch of mod communities are beginning to steer away from them.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:41 am
Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:36 am
Explain
The Nexus is essentially taking control of mods published to their site away from the authors. Longer explanations and discussions are out there, but a bunch of mod communities are beginning to steer away from them.
Good to know. I am not big on modding, just do it occasionally (and when necessary to run something old), so kinda out of the loop.

What should I be using instead?