Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Re: PC Gaming Randomness

Post by coopasonic »

I ran out of stuff to play. I found Big Pharma to be really repetitive so after doing the beginner stuff and getting Master three times and Expert twice I didn't feel like continuing. I looked through everything for some inspiration on something to play and I ended up playing The Sims 4... a lot.

My starting single character is nearing the top of the crime career track and well on his way to dying of old age... a couple days into Elder. He started out marrying the mother of the Caliente clan, then impregnated the younger daughter, divorced the mom and married the daughter... then slept with the older daughter as well, just to be sure... all while living in the same house as all three women. The mom has long passed and the daughters are all elders now so now I am focusing on developing my teenaged son into a model of the community. While the criminal career was interesting, I am tired of being required to do mischief and mean interactions. Why does a Safe Cracker have to be mean anyway?

Anyway I don't see myself buying anything else until after christmas so I guess I am in this for the long haul!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I guess I'm simply not good at strategy games anymore. Was trying to play Stellaris and yet again I didn't build enough military because I didn't feel like micromanaging all the little things that go into balancing my economy. And the crafting games that are considered 'great' like Minecraft and Terraria develop so slowly to me. Guess it's back to my 1000th hour of Anno and Craft the World.....
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I need the obsession with Fight Nights at Freddy's to stop. 10 YO has never played the game but collects posters, draws pictures, wants toys - it's absurd. Part of me wants to let her play it, become psychologically scarred and stop talking about it. I have no idea what older sibling or clueless parent spread this nonsense around the school but I'm done.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote:Fight Nights at Freddy's
*Five
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

So angry I typed Fight. :angry-cussingblack: :D
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:tjg: :wink:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Smoove_B wrote:So angry I typed Fight. :angry-cussingblack: :D
Apparently someone already thought of Fight Night at Freddy's.
I have but one advocate.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Id like a space racing sim. But not one you'd actually fly. What Im thinking is you inherit your dead uncles race team. You get a crappy run down space garage, a worn out ship, and a worn out pilot with burned out pit / car crew.

From there you upgrade your garage, your ship, your crew skills and drivers. Parts, skills, stats. All there. Enter different races. remember that race in Star Trek Voyager or the one in Stargate? Like those. You dont drive / fly though you manage and own.
Last edited by Daehawk on Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Smoove_B wrote:I need the obsession with Fight Nights at Freddy's to stop. 10 YO has never played the game but collects posters, draws pictures, wants toys - it's absurd. Part of me wants to let her play it, become psychologically scarred and stop talking about it. I have no idea what older sibling or clueless parent spread this nonsense around the school but I'm done.
We got this for our 8 year old on Steam because he was obsessed with it. Everyboby at school was going on and on about it, and he kept coming home begging for it and rambling on about it like he knew what the hell it was. He played exactly 6 minutes of it and hardly ever mentions it now. Mission accomplished.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Tron 2.0 is an awesome game that stands the test of time very well. Seeing as it doesn't support any HD resolutions by default, you have to use the Killer App mod, and when you do, it's beautiful. The engine scales very nicely and feels very modern. The combat also feels very satisfying and the disc is fun to use and also very unique for an FPS when in an age when guns are the norm.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Rumpy wrote:Tron 2.0 is an awesome game that stands the test of time very well. Seeing as it doesn't support any HD resolutions by default, you have to use the Killer App mod, and when you do, it's beautiful. The engine scales very nicely and feels very modern. The combat also feels very satisfying and the disc is fun to use and also very unique for an FPS when in an age when guns are the norm.
I'd love to play that again, but I know I have no idea where the discs ever went. Is it available anywhere on a digital service?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's one of my favorites. Monolith made some fantastic games in those days. I actually just reinstalled it on my Win 10 machine a couple of months ago, although I haven't actually started it.

Except for the light cycles. I hated the light cycles.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

gbasden wrote:
Rumpy wrote:Tron 2.0...
I'd love to play that again, but I know I have no idea where the discs ever went. Is it available anywhere on a digital service?
Steam
I have but one advocate.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Monolith made some fantastic games in those days.
I love the No One Lives Forever series! I replay it often.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

JetFred wrote:
gbasden wrote:
Rumpy wrote:Tron 2.0...
Steam
Sweet! I have something to re-add to my backlog! :)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, was going to mention Steam, but glad JetFred jumped in.

Make sure you get the Killer App mod:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/killer-app

It's essential if you want to run it in HD resolutions. It also improved on some of the effects.

Oh yeah, I have to admit that the light-cycles are a lot less epic than I thought they'd be. Maybe partly due to the control scheme. But it also feels very gamey and you have so many blind spots and you can't even see how someone was derezed. A cinematic camera would have improved on that.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Man, I'm totally in the mood for a new MMO...but have played pretty much everything already. FFXIV, WoW, GW2, ESO, SWTOR, Rift, Neverwinter, Secret World, Tera, Blade & Soul, Wildstar, Aion, LOTR Online, DDO, Path of Exile, Tree of Savior, Skyforge, Destiny, Black Desert Online, Riders of Icarus, and probably a few others I'm forgetting. Thousands of hours between all of them. I've tried to get back into a few lately but nothing has stuck.

There's gotta be some niche MMO I'm forgetting or have somehow skipped over, right?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sounds like me. I went back to SWTOR.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I hit that same point a year or so ago. I finally realized that the problem was that I was simply burned out on the whole MMO style of game, where your actual contribution to the ongoing story is a very thin illusion and mechanics are king.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I don't think I'm burned out on the formula. I typically love the early game in most MMOs, and fade out by the time the endgame rolls around. Exploring a new world, learning game systems, gaining in gear and levels, seeing awesome new places, progressing through a story...that's all fantastic. Repeating end game dungeons and group raids to get incrementally better gear, not so much (FF XIV being the sole exception).

I tried resubbing to Tera, SWTOR, ESO, and FFXIV lately, but didn't stick with any for more than a month. There just wasn't much new stuff to do or see.

I'm just itching for a new world to explore. Want to give Archeage a look with the recent overhaul, but I haven't seen queues less than an hour since it launched. :(
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Not an MMO, but it wanted to be - have you tried Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning? It really was originally going to be an MMO but they switched plans and made it into a single player RPG. The world (and action-based combat) was fun. I enjoyed the game and thought it was much better than people gave it credit for. World exploration is my primary interest in just about any game, so I really liked exploring and wandering in this one. You can outlevel the game content pretty quickly, but it wasn't something that bothered me.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Yep, played the hell out of that on PS3 or X360, can't remember which. Really liked it.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

I'm playing Skyrim again for the first time in four years and I have to admit that I am stunned by the number and quality of mods for this game. Ninety mods later, I have an almost-perfect Fantasy RPG.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Do you know how I know you haven't played The Witcher 3 yet? :wink:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Skinypupy wrote:Yep, played the hell out of that on PS3 or X360, can't remember which. Really liked it.
Dragon Age: Inquisition?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Beaten Dragon Age: Inquisition and Witcher 3, and played about halfway through both a second time before burning out.

I have a strange relationship with Skyrim, having played it on both PC and PS4. On 4 separate occasions now, I've gotten 30-35 hours in and simply got bored and walked away. Something about it just doesn't keep me interested. Really strange, considering I've dumped nearly 300 hours into Elder Scrolls Online.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I think I actually enjoyed the story in Enderal over the default story for Skyrim.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

• Age of Conan
  • Star Trek Online
  • Champions Online
  • Neverwinter
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Max Peck wrote:
  • Age of Conan
  • Star Trek Online
  • Champions Online
  • Neverwinter
Tried Age of Conan (I knew there was one I left off my list) and actually just played Neverwinter for a bit this afternoon. I've never tried STO, mainly because I hate all things Star Trek (long story). Might give Champions Online a look though.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Well Steam is dead, dead, dead. All of it. Completely. I wonder what happened? Some are saying it's a ddos attack but everything went like a switch was flipped so I don't think so. I was at the very end of a 30 minute Vermintide run, too so I lost all progress, grrrr. This is the one worst thing about Steam, I think. You are at the complete mercy of the internets.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

When I was a young'un you didn't need an internet connection to play single player games. Why back in my day we had color wheels and page look ups. You kids today are spoiled. :D
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

This is the END! Steapocalypse! Steamageddon! Satan getting his penis lasered off by good intentions!

The Vermintide has overwhelmed Gabe's defenses! Good jerb, ColdSteel.
There is no hug button. Sad!
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Lol, you're welcome. :D
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I'm the anti Skinpuppy. I've been sucked in by buy to play MMOs and currently am playing around in ESO, BDO, and TWS.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Madmarcus wrote:I'm the anti Skinpuppy. I've been sucked in by buy to play MMOs and currently am playing around in ESO, BDO, and TWS.
TWS?
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

I'm guessing that was The Secret World with two letters transposed. But what do I know?
I have but one advocate.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk wrote:When I was a young'un you didn't need an internet connection to play single player games. Why back in my day we had color wheels and page look ups. You kids today are spoiled. :D
I still have my copy of Flight Commander 2 which required that periodically you had to look up the roundel on the bottom of a certain page of the manual and match it to the displayed roundel.

You know, back when they had printed manuals. Like this....

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

ColdSteel wrote:Well Steam is dead, dead, dead. All of it. Completely. I wonder what happened? Some are saying it's a ddos attack but everything went like a switch was flipped so I don't think so. I was at the very end of a 30 minute Vermintide run, too so I lost all progress, grrrr. This is the one worst thing about Steam, I think. You are at the complete mercy of the internets.

The outage yesterday I think was a hint of what was to come. I think they're simply getting hammered. But it's odd because they seem to be making less of a deal about the winter sale than any of the previous years. I noticed it was fine last night before I went to bed. I'm guessing some special event was supposed to happen in conjuction with the sale that instead triggered a meltdown. Or a special activity that everyone's been trying to get to at the same time?

Also in other news: Australian Court fined Valve 2.1 Million over refund policy, announced on the same day it goes down. Hmmmm. Coincidence?

http://kotaku.com/australian-court-fine ... 1790435837
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

I posted cards for sale this morning and it was working. They may have taken it down, but this isn't behaving like when traffic is just high.
I have but one advocate.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, this is beyond high volume for the sale. There's no way this isn't an intentional attack against them...which is my non-technical and non-educated opinion of what's happening.