Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

JetFred

Re: PC Gaming Randomness

Post by JetFred »

Hipolito wrote:
JetFred wrote:If I haven't said it before, I just wanted to say that the first time I beat Half-Life 1, I played the whole game with a flight stick.
It may not be as impressive, but I got the Little Rocket Man achievement in HL 2 Episode 2. That was a chore, but it was a worthwhile experience to play the game in such a weird way.
My son is an achievement hunter in Half-Life, Portal, and Deus Ex. I'll have to see if he did that one.
I have but one advocate.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I did that one. It was an entertaining twist on the game.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Daehawk wrote:
Rumpy wrote:Started playing The Saboteur last night. I can't believe I hadn't heard of this game until recently. I bought it on GOG about two weeks ago which is when I first heard of it. I like that the vehicles feel weighty, and the gameplay is quite fun.
I remember its release but had forgotten about it. Wasn't interested then but now I am. It isn't on Steam and GoG wants $20 for a 8 year old game.
It's 80% off at the moment (GOG's Summer Sale started today).
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thanks! Grabbin.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Max Peck wrote:
Daehawk wrote:
Rumpy wrote:Started playing The Saboteur last night. I can't believe I hadn't heard of this game until recently. I bought it on GOG about two weeks ago which is when I first heard of it. I like that the vehicles feel weighty, and the gameplay is quite fun.
I remember its release but had forgotten about it. Wasn't interested then but now I am. It isn't on Steam and GoG wants $20 for a 8 year old game.
It's 80% off at the moment (GOG's Summer Sale started today).
Thanks for mentioning this game. I bought it when it first came out but at four bucks it might be worth another look.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

No problem! :)

Fairly well optimised game for the most part, though there are times where it will freeze after a length of time playing. I noticed that this happened after receiving letters. There's one of Skylar's missions that I had trouble starting up as it would freeze and I had to restart the game several times before I was able to get to it.

Oh btw, looks like Rebel Galaxy is Free for the time being on GOG during their Summer Sale.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I had some time to kill tonight and I didn't feel like reading or firing up an in-depth game or watching videos or whatever. And then I remembered something I used to do as far back as GTA San Andreas and as recently as GTA V. I would launch the game, which I had inevitable already completed, and started looking for trouble :roll:. Or sometimes I would just grab a car or bike and drive around. I remember GTASA, I would just hop a bicycle and find a hill and just coast down and look at the sights.

I did this a lot in GTA V. In fact in GTA V I would just drive into Los Santos and park and just start walking. Lots and lots to see when you are on foot. I even set myself a task, I started on the east side of the city and walked all the way across town to the beach and grabbed a soda on the pier. It was just sunset and it was pretty awesome.

I've burned out pretty much on GTA V, but now I've found a new way to relax and kill some time, and that is in Watch Dogs 2. Aside from some cool places to walk around, there is always something to do on the quick, like do a taxi job or hacking someone online. And now they have added armored cars randomly driving around you can hack, stop and rob :D.

One of the things that I've found as I've gotten older is that I don't really enjoy replaying these big, open world games and going through the whole campaign again. Nor am I interested in picking up some DLC long after I've completed the main campaign. This summer however I might make an exception for Watch Dogs 2 and replay it, but skip the cut scenes. Maybe... :?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Either I'm getting utterly horrible at these fighter games I used to excel, or the game had gotten harder. :D

I was trying out the user campaign in Freespace "Procyon Insurgency". It's easily as good as one of the campaigns from Volition, the creator. Though some of the stealth missions are kicking my butt. There's this mission where I need to infiltrate enemy space, in a stealth fighter, so I can't shoot, and I can't use afterburner. And don't get closer to any enemies. I got no problem with that, got close enough to scan, plant the bug drone, and I was supposed to follow the enemy cruiser out. Except I **always** get discovered after following it in a bit, no idea by who. I think I need to be on a DIFFERENT side of the ship I was supposed to be following... Will try again later.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Always disliked stealth missions in a 3D space environment.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Got past that one.
Spoiler:
Target Gemini 3. That is the most likely one to stumble into you. go max speed (but no afterburner) and stay away from it. Then you can circle around to join the Shivan cruiser and jump when it does.
I'm stuck on the NEXT one. Apparently I did something too early, hahaha. Will have to try again.
Spoiler:
Flew around in a blind nebula, shot a bunch of hostile ships, scanned a bunch of stuff. Was supposed to stick around behind the Shivan cruiser again.
Previously, got too close. This time, I think I was just right, when FSOpen the exe crashed. Will try again.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Yea, they're likely using the mission parameter about (distance to target) (not less than) (x).

Good way to time set-pieces and pacing, as well as create a maze/boundary.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Spoiler:
Was supposed to be trailing this Shivan cruiser in the middle of the nebula, and avoiding fighter cover. The Shivan ship was docked to something.
As soon as I completed a scan, Shivan cruiser fried me with its beam cannon. I then realized I wasn't supposed to scan that something until the objective calls me to. :D
Update
Spoiler:
The campaign is bugged. The new ships they added have two secondary weapons but no primary weapons. FSOpen loaded it, but popped an error,
but I got it to continue inspite of the error. But I think I failed to follow the script again. It says follow the ship, it didn't say get back close enough so I can trigger the next event. Did that. Then it says scan the unknown ships. I did NOT do that as it's optional. Then nothing happened. I guess the ship's letting AI fight and it'll only continue when all the unknown ships are destroyed. I quit... for now.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I am giving up on Procyon Insurgency. It's just too buggy and the missions too long, and blah blah blah.

Started on "Blue Planet". GTVA Task Group 14 is going to try out the new Jump Gate and try to reach SOL system, lost for 50 years. However, they jumped in... and something was VERY VERY WRONG...
Spoiler:
They landed in an alternate universe where the Shivans got to Earth and wiped it out. Only one ship, converted into a sleeper ship, got away,
and hid in a nebula for 50 years. Then some OTHER aliens got involved... The Vishnans... enemies of the Shivans.
Very different style, very different presentation, complete with cutscenes and persistent wingmen. I think I'm near the end.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Finished Blue Planet Part 1, which just sets up for... Part 2: War in Heaven.
Spoiler:
Turns out the "expedition" to Earth was just a pretext for invasion... GTVA is going back to Earth, not as pilgrims, but as conquerers.

Half of the expedition fleet promptly switched sides and the war was initially at a standstill... Until GTVA sent in reinforcements, and forced the Jovian Confed to surrender. The Terran side is rallying around Mars.

The Terran ships have spinning parts just like Earth Destroyers in B5, and there are a lot of torpedo strikes and missiles from the Terran ships (nice effects as the torpedoes come out of the ship and go at the enemy ships) while the GTVA ships use primarily beams.

Right now I'm stuck on a mission. Basically, this mod changes how combat was done... COMPLETELY. I read the walkthru and basically, I CANNOT hope to win by myself. I CANNOT do everything. I can only do my part and help others. This was basically almost counter to how most Freespace missions are done. :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

As a MOD on Twitch I usually handle trolls with a temp ban or a full ban. But when one of them personally messages me with "Plz commit suicide" I report them and hope they get banned fully from Twitch.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

This is as much a Star Wars comment as a game comment, but...I never watched any Clone Wars at all, and I just tried the game, Republic Heroes. Does Ahsoka Tano really call Anakin, her MASTER, "Skyguy" all the time? Does she really spend the whole time calling the droids "tinnies", as in "That is one huge tinnie!" and "Look at all the tinnies!" And does the entire tutorial have to be in mock Yoda-speak? It was difficult to see the game for how hard I was rolling my eyes.
I have but one advocate.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Skyguy sometimes..dont recall 'tinnies'

And I LOVED Republic Commandos. Finished it two or three times.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Traded with JetFred and got my hands on Mad Max. This is a load of fun. I haven't even broken out of my initial walled off section just yet... I just got the nitro installed and chased down two Spotters. I missed 2 loot locations within that initial Scrotus camp (only got 8/10) Had to reduce graphics significantly to improve frame rate.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Loved Mad Max. One hell of a fun game. By the end the combat was tiring is about all the bad I can say. I found its faster to get out of the car and fight people hahaha...takes forever in your car at times.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Daehawk wrote:Skyguy sometimes..dont recall 'tinnies'

And I LOVED Republic Commandos. Finished it two or three times.
Republic Commando and Republic Heroes are two different games. Which one did you love?
I have but one advocate.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oops.///Commandos.
KDH

Post by KDH »

:roll: ... Devolver Digital - E3 2017 Press Conference ..

Weird, choreographed, with odd scripted crowd shots ... or so it seems

They could have shot this a month ago in a sound studio
Ain't nobody got time for that
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

So I bought the Sword of the Stars: The Pit DLC packages on sale and installed them - only to discover that doing so basically reset all of my recipe and translation progress. The only thing that carried over were achievements. Ugh.

The bright side is that the new classes are interesting. I played with the Lich on Easy as a test and made it to Level 20 without actually knowing how to play and trying to learn as I went. I never even slotted a single Psionic skill (only discovering/remembering how to do that after I died).

Back to the drawing board with high skill characters like the Engineer so re-acquire the recipes I've lost. :?

Sidenote: Playing MechWarrior Online, which now has built-in voice chat (has for a while), I've heard a few women speak up. It's refreshing to hear non-male gamers, but while I've heard exactly three women speak, one was shit all over and called "Bitch" by a male gamer. WTF is wrong with people?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

WTF is wrong with people?
People are people so why should it be....
KDH

Post by KDH »

... Kickstarter
:ugeek: ... Neil deGrasse Tyson Presents: Space Odyssey - The Video Game
SPACE ODYSSEY | An awe-inspiring gaming experience of galactic exploration and colonization.

With its foundation based in scientifically accurate game-play, you'll be immersed in biology, chemistry, geo-science, and engineering as you build and explore planetary systems.

With Neil deGrasse Tyson as your trusted advisor and cosmic guide, you'll set out on science-based missions to create, explore, and expand.

Develop planets, colonize worlds, nurture species, mine elements, build robots, and discover unique life-forms as you coordinate with others in an intense game of real-time strategy.
The funding goal via our Kickstarter campaign will not cover the financial requirements to develop Space Odyssey.

The team behind Space Odyssey initiated the conceptualization process of the game through self-funding, then sought outside funding that's earmarked towards development.

The funds received via your support on Kickstarter will grant us the ability to have this community play the game and engage with it while the final build is underway.

As the Kickstarter gaming community begins to beta test game-play and provide feedback, we can begin to use the funds raised via Kickstarter to incorporate your modding, mapping and building suggestions, together building the awesome gaming experience you helped to create.

As much as I may like Neil .. I'll wait on reviews
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Interesting concept but theres nothing of the game in that presentation. It looks like some cheaply paid net surfer got on online and grabbed this and that from other stuff online and made a video out of it. I dont trust that kind of stuff.
KDH

Post by KDH »

Daehawk wrote:.... It looks like some cheaply paid net surfer got on online and grabbed this and that from other stuff online and made a video out of it.....

That was my impression .. a bunch of clip-art. I hate it when AAA game companies use all, or mostly, cut scenes to advertise a game
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I watched the video and I read their page. I can't find the game.

There is no indication whatsoever of mechanics. There are activities ("design a ship") but no indication of how that translates into gameplay. Is it X-Plane, Kerbal? You can visit planets. That could be No Man's Sky, or it could be interactive cutscenes. The only reference to any kind of mechanics whatsover was the use of the term 'metroidvania', which without context is meaningless.

They list of a lot of people involved, but they are all science consultants, project managers, film makers, or artists. I didn't see a one that had any game design experience.

Where's the game?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Paingod wrote:WTF is wrong with people?
Gamergate culture doesn't like to let girls into it's clubhouse. It's pretty much that simple and that immature.
KDH

Post by KDH »

... Enlarge Image
:ugeek: .. Kickstarter ... Longsword Tabletop Tactics
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Longsword is a game of digital tabletop miniatures. Build an army, paint your units, customize your tabletop, and fight online!

$1,431 pledged of $20,000 goal

Longsword brings turn-based tabletop tactics to the digital world of PC Gaming. In Longsword, you will collect and build an army comprised of miniature champions, spells, equipment, and structures. You can then customize the appearance of your army and enter it into battle on a hex-based tabletop battlefield!

The heart of Longsword is in its online combat, where you will pit your custom armies against those of foes from around the world. But so too does Longsword provide solo and cooperative adventures to hone your skills, discover the world of Longsword, and to earn unique rewards.
I almost put this in "gaming in general"
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
morlac

Post by morlac »

KDH wrote:...
:roll: ... Devolver Digital - E3 2017 Press Conference ..

Weird, choreographed, with odd scripted crowd shots ... or so it seems

They could have shot this a month ago in a sound studio
Wow that was unsettling to say the least. Bizarre and creepy.
KDH

Post by KDH »

:violence-uzi: ... Image <--- STEAM

RICO .. Coming Soon
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
RICO is an arcade-style, first-person shooter inspired by modern action cinema. In the game you and a friend play as a pair of loose-cannon police partners, given twenty-four hours to crack a case as part of an elite organised crime taskforce.

Planning is tactical rather than strategic, players must react in the moment to shootouts as they unfurl, with additional extra time to assess the situation if they are able to surprise their adversaries. Ammo and enemies are plentiful, and combat is punchy and impactful, supported by an extensive destruction system that ensures every shot looks and feels great.
Features

Compete against the clock to solve a case in 24 hours
Online Co-op and Offline split-screen play
"Daily play" with online leaderboards
Randomly generated cases, operations, and environments
Unlockable weapons, traits, and mission types

Procedurally-generated, first-person, action-movie shooter. You play as a loose-cannon police detective, given twenty-four hours to crack a case as part of an elite organised crime taskforce, play solo or partner up with a friend in offline or online co-op for the full buddy-cop experience.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looks good other than timed play. I hate anything that puts me on a timer. It started with the first Fallout and its timer. Though I didn't fail it it still annoyed me I had to semi rush.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I HATE HATE HATE games that incorporate cards into them. Id enjoy them a lot more..or enjoy the mat all if the cards were not a part of them. I just cant wrap my head around using them or understanding them. I just dont get them and it never sinks in. Now Im trying out Paragon and it would be great if only there were no cards to fool with. Instead of an added bonus like they intend them to be I look at them as a burden to fun. A game Id rate a 10 otherwise Id give a 4 to because it has cards.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Daehawk wrote:I HATE HATE HATE games that incorporate cards into them. Id enjoy them a lot more..or enjoy the mat all if the cards were not a part of them. I just cant wrap my head around using them or understanding them. I just dont get them and it never sinks in. Now Im trying out Paragon and it would be great if only there were no cards to fool with. Instead of an added bonus like they intend them to be I look at them as a burden to fun. A game Id rate a 10 otherwise Id give a 4 to because it has cards.
Somebody better start a list.......

:ninja:
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Daehawk wrote:I HATE HATE HATE games that incorporate cards into them. Id enjoy them a lot more..or enjoy the mat all if the cards were not a part of them. I just cant wrap my head around using them or understanding them. I just dont get them and it never sinks in. Now Im trying out Paragon and it would be great if only there were no cards to fool with. Instead of an added bonus like they intend them to be I look at them as a burden to fun. A game Id rate a 10 otherwise Id give a 4 to because it has cards.
But why? Hand of Fate was a fantastic game. So is Hearthstone or Gwent. What about cards is weird for you?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Usually I dont get their mechanics or how they are integrated. So I never like them. Im not sure what Hand of Fate is but I dislike Gwent and never played it in Witcher 3 more than a few times and didn't like Hearthstone either. Seems cards are for some and not for others.
KDH

Post by KDH »

Daehawk wrote:... Seems cards are for some and not for others.....

Some people have a way with cards, and other people...oh, uh, not have way.'
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

:D
I have but one advocate.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

gbasden wrote:
But why? Hand of Fate was a fantastic game. So is Hearthstone or Gwent. What about cards is weird for you?
Agree on HoF and got in on their recent boardgame version Kickstarter. 8-)

And funny, I tend to greatly enjoy games that incorporate cards into them well. To each their own.
-mf