Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Re: Video Games Randomness

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:00 am - Steam
- Amazon Games
- Epic
- GOG Galaxy
- Xbox
- PS Now
Uplay
Origin
Bethesda
Battle.net
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:03 am
- Amazon Games
- Epic
- GOG Galaxy
- Xbox
- PS Now
Uplay
Origin
Bethesda
Battle.net
Shit, I actually forgot about Uplay and Battle.net because I rarely use either. I've got both of those too.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

• Steam
  • Uplay
  • Origin
  • GOG
  • Epic
  • Rockstar
  • Bethesda
I've claimed every free game given away through Twitch Prime, but I've never bothered installing the client in order to access them.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
stessier

Post by stessier »

Steam
Battle.net
Xbox

And I feel like that is too many. :D
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Max Peck wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:48 am I've claimed every free game given away through Twitch Prime, but I've never bothered installing the client in order to access them.
The client is a fairly new requirement, I believe. I had grabbed a bunch of the free Twitch games previously, and never had to download a client.

I don't know if I'll keep the Amazon games client installed, since Twitch generally doesn't give away anything I'm really dying to play. They're usually more of the "I'm only getting this because it's free, and I may or may not ever get around to trying it at some point" type of games. Still, I was a bit surprised to see that I had over 30 games in that library that I've picked up as Twitch freebies.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Max Peck wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:48 am I've claimed every free game given away through Twitch Prime, but I've never bothered installing the client in order to access them.
I think I may have installed one early on but looking at the list of what I have I can't imagine what it was. I stopped adding them to my library after the promotions turned into mostly in-game loot.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:05 pm
The client is a fairly new requirement, I believe. I had grabbed a bunch of the free Twitch games previously, and never had to download a client.
When I first started collecting them, they required you to install the Twitch desktop app in order to install and play the games. If they waived that at some point, I just never noticed.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Just for a change of pace, I just came across this from my YouTube subscription of the GVMERS. I found it interesting.

I loved the Thief series, but I really so sucked at stealth :roll:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

I don't know if I'll keep the Amazon games client installed, since Twitch generally doesn't give away anything I'm really dying to play. They're usually more of the "I'm only getting this because it's free, and I may or may not ever get around to trying it at some point" type of games. Still, I was a bit surprised to see that I had over 30 games in that library that I've picked up as Twitch freebies.
so does the Amazon Games client replace the Twitch app, or is it in addition to it?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:18 pm

so does the Amazon Games client replace the Twitch app, or is it in addition to it?
I had completely forgotten about the Twitch app (see...too many!). The Amazon app apparently replaces it, as I had to download it to get a couple of the freebies today.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Couldn't find the right thread, but The Last of Us II is delayed indefinitely. Heh, go figure, a game about a pandemic delayed by a pandemic.

https://kotaku.com/the-last-of-us-ii-de ... 1842646231
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:18 pm so does the Amazon Games client replace the Twitch app, or is it in addition to it?
According to the Twitch download info the games are also available within the Twitch Desktop App.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

This trailer captures the biggest issue I have with Diablo 2 & 3. The sense of bleak dread an horror of the first Diablo which completely disappeared in 2/3. I would love it if they remade Diablo like this.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thought this would be the best place to post this since people here would know who it is.

Voice Actor - Rick May Has Passed Away from COVID-19 (The Solider from TF2,Doctor M from Sly Cooper, Peppy/Andros from Star Fox 64)

I still play TF2.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:24 am This trailer captures the biggest issue I have with Diablo 2 & 3. The sense of bleak dread an horror of the first Diablo which completely disappeared in 2/3. I would love it if they remade Diablo like this.
I agree. Diablo should really lean in hard to the gothic horror.
I have but one advocate.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

- Amazon Games
- Epic
- GOG Galaxy
- Xbox
- PS Now
- Uplay
- Origin
- Bethesda
- Battle.net
If I ever install Assassin's Creed: Black Flag again, I know I'll have to stomach Origin.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Paingod wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:16 pm
- Amazon Games
- Epic
- GOG Galaxy
- Xbox
- PS Now
- Uplay
- Origin
- Bethesda
- Battle.net
If I ever install Assassin's Creed: Black Flag again, I know I'll have to stomach Origin.
That would be a very odd requirement for an AC game...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

- Amazon Games
- Epic
- GOG Galaxy
- Xbox
- PS Now
- Uplay
- Origin
- Bethesda
- Battle.net
You mean Uplay...
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

There's a difference? :wink:
I have but one advocate.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i went back to this (formerly Flash, now HTML5) puzzle game called Bloxorz. i would always get stuck at some level in the teens and stop playing over the past... what is it, decade and a half plus... last night i decided to go back to it and played through 29 of the 33 levels in one sitting. i think i'm a better puzzle solver now...

the 30-something levels require a bit of extra effort. this evening i completed levels 30-32 but i'm stuck on the final one. tried plotting a solution, but it doesn't seem possible to get to it! i've not looked up any hints or solutions so far, and i'm trying to keep it that way. quitting for the night and will try again tomorrow.

https://www.miniclip.com/games/bloxorz/en/
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:43 pm
- Amazon Games
- Epic
- GOG Galaxy
- Xbox
- PS Now
- Uplay
- Origin
- Bethesda
- Battle.net
That would be a very odd requirement for an AC game...
:confusion-shrug: That's just how much I care about it one way or another. Can't even remember the name of it.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:35 am i went back to this (formerly Flash, now HTML5) puzzle game called Bloxorz. i would always get stuck at some level in the teens and stop playing over the past... what is it, decade and a half plus... last night i decided to go back to it and played through 29 of the 33 levels in one sitting. i think i'm a better puzzle solver now...

the 30-something levels require a bit of extra effort. this evening i completed levels 30-32 but i'm stuck on the final one. tried plotting a solution, but it doesn't seem possible to get to it! i've not looked up any hints or solutions so far, and i'm trying to keep it that way. quitting for the night and will try again tomorrow.

last level was a pain, but i completed it with no hints or solutions. got #8 on the 'all-time high score' list for this website, hahaha. there's another set of 20 extra levels i've never seen below (called "Winter", as opposed to the "Original" set I just completed) - i'll do those some other time.

EDIT: Winter levels have tiles that crack after 1, 2 or 3 uses, plus slidey tiles. this looks no longer fun :(
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i now have too many games and i don't exactly know how to find something i'd enjoy playing from the backlog :0 need help, need suggestions.

Right now, playing:
Noita
Caveblazers
Sigils of Elohim (a 'tangrams' type promo game for The Talos Principle)
this demo for Digital Combat Simulator World (flight simulator)
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Minecraft
Super Mario Bros (NES)
Metroid (NES)
The Legend of Zelda (NES)

some random but significant things i'm into:
Serious Sam
Spelunky
Katamari Damacy
The Binding of Isaac
Robotron 2084
Culdcept (for multiplayer)
Worms series (for multiplayer)
any retro arcade shmup

i obviously like 'roguelikes' and procedurally generated games. really into arcade and 'tough difficulty' games that can be learned. good gameplay mechanics are key.

i like the idea of Dark Souls but the generic ho-hum fantasy setting just isn't interesting or compelling to me. Nioh isn't what i was hoping for, either.

here's my Steam filter list. https://www.lorenzostanco.com/lab/steam/u/battlefinch
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:33 pm i obviously like 'roguelikes' and procedurally generated games. really into arcade and 'tough difficulty' games that can be learned. good gameplay mechanics are key.

here's my Steam filter list. https://www.lorenzostanco.com/lab/steam/u/battlefinch
Doesn't look like you've spent much time with Unexplored. Stick with it, and it definitely ought to scratch where you itch.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:06 pm
Doesn't look like you've spent much time with Unexplored. Stick with it, and it definitely ought to scratch where you itch.
i was very much not a fan of the graphics and play style (it feels too much like a Flash game) but i'll give it another go.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hitbyambulance wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:54 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:35 am i went back to this (formerly Flash, now HTML5) puzzle game called Bloxorz. i would always get stuck at some level in the teens and stop playing over the past... what is it, decade and a half plus... last night i decided to go back to it and played through 29 of the 33 levels in one sitting. i think i'm a better puzzle solver now...

last level was a pain, but i completed it with no hints or solutions. got #8 on the 'all-time high score' list for this website, hahaha. there's another set of 20 extra levels i've never seen below (called "Winter", as opposed to the "Original" set I just completed) - i'll do those some other time.

EDIT: Winter levels have tiles that crack after 1, 2 or 3 uses, plus slidey tiles. this looks no longer fun :(
I started and finished it today. Suspiciously also 8th place, though it was a monthly leaderboard not all-time - nothing showed up on the all-time list.

It was a fun distraction and that last puzzle was a serious pain.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:37 pm
I started and finished it today. Suspiciously also 8th place, though it was a monthly leaderboard not all-time - nothing showed up on the all-time list.

It was a fun distraction and that last puzzle was a serious pain.
i'm eventually going to work on the Winter levels, but at a much slower pace.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:19 pm
i was very much not a fan of the graphics and play style (it feels too much like a Flash game) but i'll give it another go.
put an hour or so into this. i'm still not liking how it 'feels' - it's too floaty and clunky and i don't think i am into the aesthetics of it at all, so it's not yet clicking. but i'll keep trying.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:12 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:19 pm
put an hour or so into this. i'm still not liking how it 'feels' - it's too floaty and clunky and i don't think i am into the aesthetics of it at all, so it's not yet clicking. but i'll keep trying.
FWIW, the linked review sums up where the game shines:
RockPaperShotgun.com wrote:I found one other aspect of the game off-putting at first, and that’s the character design. For reasons I couldn’t fathom, all player characters are one-eyed folks and I didn’t particularly like the look of them. Like everything else that made me frown, I soon understood the reason behind this decision though, and it’s simple and quite elegant. A one-eyed character, viewed from above with the eye front and centre of the head, is extremely easy to read, in terms of their position and the direction they’re facing. That, combined with the pointiness of equipped weaponry, makes controlling with a combination of keyboard for movement and mouse for targeting simple and efficient. No matter how cluttered the screen might be, the essentials are easy to read.

All of those initial reservations weren’t just batted aside; I love the parts of Unexplored I was unsure about when I first started playing. And the rest, the actual RPG design that’s at the heart of it all, is tremendous.

I’m so accustomed to dungeons that look like they could have been mapped out on graph paper, corridors and big blocky rooms strung together with no sense of being places that were constructed by anyone for any purpose, that Unexplored is a revelation. Every level I’ve seen has its own identity, with outdoor areas, void-straddling bridges and floating islands, underground lakes and lava spills, and temples, storehouses and barracks. The developers have made a very short video talking about the science of their approach.

Read more about how it works right here, and look at the maps in the top left of my screenshots. No grids and no obvious copy-and-paste rooms.

What all of that means, in practice, is that each level is structurally interesting, without too much backtracking, and can happily accommodate smart little puzzles. I’ve encountered levels with one big boss and rooms full of minions, and others were there’s barely a fight to be had, but lots of libraries to loot. Others are packed with traps, or weird little signs that may or may not be cryptic clues. And those cryptic clues might lead to crypts, full of undead warriors waiting to wake.

Often you’ll need to find a clue to figure out how to open secret doors or chests, and clues and keys might be a level above or below the target location, so backtracking is sometimes involved. Levels are small though, so it’s never too much of a drag heading back up a couple of floors, especially if your findings have tipped you off about a big reward in the form of some neat magical weapon.

And you’ll want that magical weapon because equipment is the only real way to improve your character. There’s no levelling and every hero begins as a classless ball of potential. The one important stat is strength (these dungeons are no place for a Charisma 18 arts graduate like me), determining which weapons and armour you can use without detriment. But strength doesn’t increase as you kill monsters, you have to find potions or equipment that buff your buffness.

It works beautifully, forcing you to explore and to try and solve puzzles and sneak by or kill enemies so you can find every last item on every level. Because there are no experience points, there’s no incentive to kill everything; instead, you can use the stealth system to sneak by, or just outsmart them and trap them in their own dungeon by hitting levers to trigger traps or locking doors. By removing the linear path toward Mighty Hero Status, Unexplored’s character-building is similar to its procedural dungeon generation: there are many routes and unexpected detours, and success comes from a combination of improvising with whatever is at hand, and choosing from the paths available.

Long-term, there are options to unlock for new starts, allowing you to experiment with a form of classes, and to buy more equipment at the beginning of a run. It’s in the brief, individual adventures that Unexplored excels though. The novel approach to dungeon layouts and character-building makes all of the spider-smashing and key-hunting feel fresh. I play so many games of this type that the line between one and the next is often blurred. That makes it almost impossible for new games to find a spot on my regular roguelike playlist, but Unexplored has claimed one.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Holy shit, did anyone know there's an entirely separate world in AC Syndicate set in WW1? It's pretty amazing. It's got a whole set of its own missions and collectibles. It's kind of blowing my mind.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Still wishing Steam kept a more in depth record of your plays of games. Like one game Im looking at says March 2016 is when I played last. But if I install it it will change the date to today..even if I dont play it. I wish it would make a list...like keep that date and just add the new date and so on. That way I could have a better look back at when I played something. I hate losing the last played date damnit.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:09 am Still wishing Steam kept a more in depth record of your plays of games. Like one game Im looking at says March 2016 is when I played last. But if I install it it will change the date to today..even if I dont play it. I wish it would make a list...like keep that date and just add the new date and so on. That way I could have a better look back at when I played something. I hate losing the last played date damnit.
Do the save games have dates? That's often a far more reliable way of knowing when you last played. Assuming, of course, that you didn't delete all your saves prior to uninstalling.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

This is a fun watch.

Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:13 am Holy shit, did anyone know there's an entirely separate world in AC Syndicate set in WW1? It's pretty amazing. It's got a whole set of its own missions and collectibles. It's kind of blowing my mind.
Yes, it's kind of hard to miss. Were we supposed to spoil that for you? It was a neat twist.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Having done my bootcamp homework well ahead of time, and waiting for my team mates to work through their homework before we can start on our mid-term project, I finally have a couple hours to play games, and I decided to play through Dirt 4 and WRC6, both of which I've neglected for weeks or months.

WRC6 is a bit of hit-and-miss for me. I think I finally got a certain driving style figured out with the WRC car. On EASY, I can usually beat the 2nd place guy by 10 seconds in each stage, unless I screw up or it's a night stage, then anything goes. Another possibility is I hit a VERY unfamiliar course and it's full of "traps" that if I overcook the corner even a little, I end up stuck in a corner, or the program decided to throw me back onto the track with like 12 second penalty for plowing the field or hitting spectators. On the final stage of the Argentina Rally, I think I came in dead last, 30+ seconds off the page of the leader. Unfortunately for him, I had built up enough of a lead in the previous 5 stages so I STILL won the overall rally.

And I finally figured out the "power stage"... You get 3 extra points if for the event if you win the power stage. If you won first place, you get 25 points. So the max you can score per rally is 28 points.

Dirt 4 doesn't have the WRC name, but its driving model is arguably better. I had to unlearn quite a bit coming over from WRC6, as car feels more responsive yet more fragile, even on "gamer" handling mode. The car feels less 'weighted' and more nimble. I played a "community rally" where I get to do 6 stages in Michigan with 2 rest areas (basically, repairs every 2 stages) and me, a gamepad driver, scores 55th overall. I'd say I've done pretty decent. On the other hand, the career mode also took a big chunk out of the budget, as I started with 90K and I spend like 65K on upgrades to the car I was using (Mitsu Evo X) If this 55th place finish didn't make like 100K I'll need to race some more to make more $$$ for more upgrades.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Hrothgar wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:42 am
Rumpy wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:13 am Holy shit, did anyone know there's an entirely separate world in AC Syndicate set in WW1? It's pretty amazing. It's got a whole set of its own missions and collectibles. It's kind of blowing my mind.
Yes, it's kind of hard to miss. Were we supposed to spoil that for you? It was a neat twist.
No, I'm just kind of shocked that they managed to do that. It feels like a DLC, with its own art assets and all, even introducing some new elements such as the spotlights.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Looked into my status. Seems I'm in "tier 3" with Dirt 4's Evo X 6-stage run. Not unexpected, fell to 65th overall. I can re-run the stages, but I doubt I can squeeze out an extra 20-30 seconds out of the winning times overall. And that's what it'll take to get me to Tier 2.

Ran a historical rally with Peugeot 205 and did pretty well against AI. Actually won overall after 5 and 5 stages in Michigan. Actually got a few clean run stages where I didn't even scratch the car. That uses the H2 class of vehicles.

Next is Historical World Tour, which uses H2 or H3 vehicles. I don't have an H3 class vehicle, and they are ALL RWD, which are very different from my FWD Peugeot 205. So I bought a BMW 3-series EVO Rally. Good thing I did a "shake down" because this thing was all over the place. I need to relearn the car from scratch, and I'm not doing it in the middle of a rally. Had to quit out of the event and go to training school to learn how to drive the RWD vehicle.

It's kinda cute that they listed Ford Sierra Cosworth as "American". Sierra was never sold in the US, muchless the Sierra Cosworth. Sierra was a product fo the Ford UK. Later they did bring it over under the Merkur brand as the Scorpio.

-----

Either I learned to drive RWD properly or I found a setup that works for me, but either way, won Historical World Tour (h3 RWD) quite handily, 5 gravel stages in Australia, and 5 tarmac stages in Spain. I think I only lost 1st place in TWO stages, where I was 3rd or 5th. One was due to me overcooking a corner. I slid off the road and flipped the car. Then it was the last stage in Spain, I think. I knew I was ahead by like a whole minute or two after 4 stages, so I decided to take it easy and go a little slower and more precise than usual to get the "no damage" bonus.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I wish the Civ series would quit emphasizing leaders names over counties names. If I want to deal with China I don't care what the leader name is. I just want to click on "China".
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

So how do we feel about something along the line of Assassin's Creed: Valhalla?

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:15 pm So how do we feel about something along the line of Assassin's Creed: Valhalla?
The part of we that is me is totally on board.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter