Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

RM2

Re: Video Games Randomness

Post by RM2 »

Here is a random item I am excited about. Kentucky Route Zero concluding chapter will be released January 28. Got this early on and played through chapter 3 and then let it go after further updates were so infrequent. What I played of it was great and I will probably reply from the start once it finally concludes later this month.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And Photobucket is bad about interdicting hotlinked photos.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:12 pm
Z-Corn wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:12 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:45 pm
Z-Corn wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:38 pm Guarantee if you download that .pdf from AARP you will get 75 pieces of junk mail a week for the rest of your life.
Hmm? It's a PDF download that doesn't require a log-on or password. I wouldn't have posted it if it did.

In lieu of apologies you can just send me a magnum of my favorite imbibe, a 1982 Moet et Chandon Dom Perignon P3 Rose.
Are you an AARP member?
Yup, lots of good discounts at restaurants and hotels. And I had to join anyway to be able to work for the AARP Taxaide program.
OK but have those discounts exceeded the cost you MUST have incurred with replacing the hinges on your mailbox? You know, because of all the extra times the mailman puts junk in there?
Spoiler:
TOTALLY just venting on the fact that My Dad gave My Wife an AARP membership for her 50th and the only benefit has been THE VOLUME OF JUNKMAIl WE RECEIVE!

I'm trying to be funny. Please don't take it personally!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Z-Corn wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:52 pm I'm trying to be funny. Please don't take it personally!
Oh, I figured as much, unless you thought I was serious about wanting a three thousand bottle of bubbly :D

My wife and I both are AARP members and yet we hardly get any snail mail. You can opt out of a lot of their mailings.

I still think it is funny that you can join at fifty. Not many people are retired at fifty and the ones that are probably don't need discounts 8-)
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Back on topic. I am resolved to find some game to play. Instead of game playing I've been reading a lot more and since New Years I've finished six books, including two I did start before the end of the year. Since I normally read about 120 books a year I'm figuring I'm ahead of the curve right now :D and so I can devote some time to game playing.

In my Steam library I have a category "Not Installed but Not Forgotten". This is opposed to the category "Never Going to Play Again" :roll:. Now the first category has 30 games in it, and I've decided that I need to triage that list, removing the ones I really, deep down, know I'm never going to play again, and maybe installing a couple for which I might take the leap and play. I have given myself the option to buy some DLC if that will make a difference.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Hmmm you may have inspired me to create a second chance list. My backlog is generally the uncategorized games and then they go into finished or not interested. There are surely some things in not interested that I should give another look... you know rather than reinstalling xcom2 (557 hours and counting... where's xcom3!?).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

XCOM 3? Why I think I have it here on my shelf next to my beta copy of Half-Life 3... NO, WAIT, FORGET I SAID ANYTHING!!!!!

Anyway, I think I might be mildly excited over a new game coming out on either January 23rd or the 30th, depending on which site you believe. It is Astra Exodus
Astra Exodus is a single player turn based Sci-fi 4X strategy game inspired by the classics, with a multiple choice narrative driven epic campaign, top down real time tactical battles and an extensive semi-randomized research grid.

Spoiler:
About This Game
Astra Exodus is a single player turn based Sci-fi 4X strategy game inspired by the classics, with a multiple choice narrative driven epic campaign, top down real time tactical battles and an extensive semi-randomized research grid.
Take the chance to lead humanity back home, while uncovering the mysteries behind the Exodus, across a choice driven narrative campaign. Or otherwise, challenge yourself in the Sandbox mode, by leading any of the various alien factions to several possible victory conditions.

Epic Story Campaign
Lead the Earth Legacy Task Force through 9 arduous missions, in their Campaign for discovering the lost heritage of Earth, and make decisions that alter the story and gameplay in significant ways. You can be rewarded with exclusive and diverse abilities only found in this mode.

Dynamic Sandbox Mode
Take charge of one out of 8 different main factions, or create your own in the Sandbox Mode, as you thrive to enslave, exterminate, seduce or right out beat all and any competition. Survive a host of events and menaces, that will surely challenge your empire and all others.

Battle in Space and on the Ground
Fight in space and on the ground, with real time tactical space battles, where positioning and heading matters as much as weaponry. And initiative based top down ground battles, with hosts of infantry, armour, strike craft and even mechs. Or just nuke them from orbit, that works just as well.

Explore captivating Galaxies
Colonize or conquer a vibrantly diverse galaxy of your choosing, full of wonderful stars, planets, asteroid belts, etc, all inspired by true astronomical phenomena. Maneuver your ships around black holes and supernovas, to either use or avoid their effects, in your conquests.

Semi-random Research Grid
Research over 300 technologies, in an exclusive and randomized tech grid, which forces you to choose wisely what you research and guarantees that no two games will be the same. React to events in the galaxy by researching about them and obtaining unique advantages over your enemies.

Lead through Amazing Heroes
Encounter and recruit amazing galactic heroes, to lead your fleets, govern your colonies or even spy on your enemies! Make havok without firing a single blast, by conducting Sabotage and Revolt, among other operations; deep behind enemy lines.

Design your own Starships
Design you own starships, by deciding not only what weapons they carry and in which configuration, but also their Core and Support systems. Overwhelm your opponent with hosts of agile Frigates, swarms of Strike Craft or just with the immense firepower of a single huge Titan.

Open files for modding
Tinker, change and customize the game to your heart's content. Adding new or modifying existing starships, factions, troops, technologies, etc to the game. Maybe reenacting then, some of your favourite scifi tv shows and movies moments, right in the game.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I decided I didn't want to wait two or three weeks for Astra Exodus, so when I read this article, Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts Teaches You to Watch Your Weight (And Fire *Everything*) on Wargamer.com I decided to order the game even though it is still in alpha, since I'm very interested in warships and especially warship building in that era. I ordered the Limited Edition so I could get access to the alpha right away. Some screenshots (click to enlarge):

Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

For those you stuck in a gaming rut worry no more your ship has come in- behold Hentai Nazi....and it smells like a groin

"Hentai Nazi - It’s not just for you, it smells like a groin, it’s an unusual shooter, but to be honest, it’s just a MEM game of the year, love memes? Do you like easter eggs? Do you like various jokes? Ohhh yeah, you love them. Then you just have to go to Hentai Nazi and find EVERYTHING, I repeat EVERYTHING !!!"

Thank me later
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thats the type of thing that came in a jewel case in the 90s and was $5 making it $10 too much.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I just played an interesting free, err, game I guess. It is Not For Broadcast: Prologue on Steam. It is actually a demo of the upcoming game Not For Broadcast, due for release into Early Access at the end of the month. I'll post the Steam description.
"PROLOGUE" IS A FREE LIMITED VERSION - WISHLIST THE UPCOMING GAME ABOVE!

Look, mate - it’s not that hard. Choose the angles, roll the ads, and bleep the swears. Just keep in mind that how you show these people will change their lives. Don’t worry - you’ll get paid either way!

In an alternate 1980s where the nation stumbles towards dystopia, join the National Nightly News team as they document the latest political scandal, the rise of a radical government, and which celebrity has for some reason written a book about it all.

You only came in to clean the studio - but in a bizarre twist of fate, it's now up to you to determine exactly what goes on air.

Not For Broadcast is an immersive, narrative-driven propaganda sim that lets you set the agenda. Mix four camera feeds, choose the headlines, bleep the bad language - all under the pressure of a live broadcast. Will you censor the news and be rewarded, or expose the truth and live with the consequences?
I have seen it described as a live action version Papers, Please which is rather a compliment. Not For Broadcast Prologue isn't quite that, but it is interesting. And it is free and takes about twenty minutes to go through the entire sequence. If you have the time it is certainly worth giving it a look.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/356 ... _sales.php

GameStop stock tumbles by 16 percent following poor holiday sales

I dont think Gamestop is long for this world. Between their bad prices, lame practices, and simply being a physical store in a digital world I think they will be gone sooner than later. It makes me sad to see them reduced so badly. Ive never liked them though since they took over all of Software Etc and Electronics Boutique. Ive shopped there. My wife got me a bunch of pre order stuff too like the Fallout 3 lunchbox and such Ill treaure forever. But as a store I dont go there. I guess in 12-15 years or whatever Ive been maybe 20 - 25 times.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

I went in there the other day, still pissed about them basically killing ThinkGeek, and all I bought was dragon dice for $2 after coupon. Good luck to ya.
I have but one advocate.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Was this the thread where we discussed upcoming election games? I can't remember. Anyway, Stardock announced that The Political Machine 2020 is coming with a release of Winter 2020.

From the Steam News announcement:
Stardock announced its new political strategy/simulation game today, The Political Machine 2020. The PC strategy game allows players to choose a candidate and run for President against either a computer opponent or a candidate controlled by another person over the Internet.

Candidates include the current Democratic front-runners including Joe Biden, Elizabeth Warren, Bernie Sanders and Pete Buttigieg, as well as Internet favorites such as Andrew Yang and Tulsi Gabbard. Republican candidates include Donald Trump, George W. Bush and Mitt Romney. Players can also design their own candidates to take on the campaign trail to win the hearts and minds of American voters.
"...or a candidate controlled by another person over the Internet" Isn't that what we have now? :D

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I wish it said Fall 2020. Winter is...late.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Kraken wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:54 am I wish it said Fall 2020. Winter is...late.
?? Winter 2020 is... now :)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:55 am
Kraken wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:54 am I wish it said Fall 2020. Winter is...late.
?? Winter 2020 is... now :)
:oops: Well that's very different. Never mind.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

JetFred wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:35 pm I went in there the other day, still pissed about them basically killing ThinkGeek, and all I bought was dragon dice for $2 after coupon. Good luck to ya.
Uh oh. Now they are offering you $5 a month if you will give them $20 a year. Not good.
I have but one advocate.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Still playing Baja HD, I'm into the final class: Trophy Trucks. They are unstable as heck. I've flipped my truck many times already.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:03 pm https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/356 ... _sales.php

I dont think Gamestop is long for this world. Between their bad prices, lame practices, and simply being a physical store in a digital world I think they will be gone sooner than later. It makes me sad to see them reduced so badly. Ive never liked them though since they took over all of Software Etc and Electronics Boutique. Ive shopped there. My wife got me a bunch of pre order stuff too like the Fallout 3 lunchbox and such Ill treaure forever. But as a store I dont go there. I guess in 12-15 years or whatever Ive been maybe 20 - 25 times.
GameStop may have taken $125 from me, and I’m pissed.

I traded a bunch of stuff in early December and got $200 on a gift card. Spent $60 to buy Zelda for Xmas, and haven’t used the card since. Went to use it yesterday to pick up Ring Fit Adventures, and the balance on the card was $0. The cashier at the store couldn’t tell me anything about why the balance was gone, but gave me the customer service number.

Called them yesterday and explained the situation. The rep told me that there was an “OCID transaction” on January 14th for the balance. She couldn’t tell me anything about what the transaction was for, just that the amount. It would have been impossible for be to have used the card in the 14th, as I was at training in Phoenix and didn’t even have it with me.

They said they needed to research it and would get back to me via email within 24 hours. Predictably, I haven’t received any communications from them, and I’m sure I’ll have to continue to chase it down this week.

While I do still like having physical games, this is likely the last straw with GameStop for me. Their service has gone steadily downhill every time I go in there, and I’m just done with them.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

TenCent to buy FunCom

Blues News story ( I have to force myself not to type Blues Clues )
Tencent has today announced a voluntary cash offer to acquire all shares in Norwegian game developer Funcom. Tencent, a leading Internet company with a strong online games operation, is a shareholder in many leading gaming developers, such as Riot Games, Epic, Supercell, Ubisoft, Paradox and Frontier. The company already owns close to 29% of the shares in Funcom and news of the intended takeover is greeted with enthusiasm from Funcom CEO Rui Casais
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Huh, I thought Funcom had already been bought by a Chinese company, such as the one who own and run Star Trek Online among others.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

That was Cryptic. They were bought by Perfect World.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, so... I thought Funcom had already been bought by Perfect World. Oh, they've been through so many changes it's hard to keep track.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:26 pm
Daehawk wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:03 pm https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/356 ... _sales.php

GameStop may have taken $125 from me, and I’m pissed.

I traded a bunch of stuff in early December and got $200 on a gift card. Spent $60 to buy Zelda for Xmas, and haven’t used the card since. Went to use it yesterday to pick up Ring Fit Adventures, and the balance on the card was $0. The cashier at the store couldn’t tell me anything about why the balance was gone, but gave me the customer service number.

Called them yesterday and explained the situation. The rep told me that there was an “OCID transaction” on January 14th for the balance. She couldn’t tell me anything about what the transaction was for, just that the amount. It would have been impossible for be to have used the card in the 14th, as I was at training in Phoenix and didn’t even have it with me.

They said they needed to research it and would get back to me via email within 24 hours. Predictably, I haven’t received any communications from them, and I’m sure I’ll have to continue to chase it down this week.

While I do still like having physical games, this is likely the last straw with GameStop for me. Their service has gone steadily downhill every time I go in there, and I’m just done with them.
Quick update on this. Predictably, I didn’t back hear from anyone at Gamestop. Called them again today, and got some additional details from a much more helpful customer service rep.

- The $125 balance on my gift card was transferred last week to a different card by a Gamestop employee.
- This was apparently done via the Gamestop website, which isn’t supposed to be possible.
- Whoever got the new card has apparently been trading back additional items for credit and putting them on the card, as it now has $145 credit. LOL

So either some employee really screwed up a transaction, or they’ve got some employee fraud going on. They’ve frozen the other card so whoever has it can’t spend my credit. The rep has “opened an investigation” and they’re supposed to get back to me by tomorrow with next steps. I’m not holding my breath that they will (she even recommended that I proactively call them back), but at least I have the details.

Gamestop has burned it’s final bridge with me here, but I at least want to get my $125 credit back.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

but I at least want to get my $125 credit back.
Probably more like they are being forced to do something because you are dog'n them.
Isgrimnur

Re: PC Gaming Randomness

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:52 pm Enhanced Steam
is dead.

And has apparently been picked up as Augmented Steam by the IsThereAnyDeal crew.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Re: PC Gaming Randomness

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:54 pm And has apparently been picked up as Augmented Steam by the IsThereAnyDeal crew.
Cool! I like the features of the add-on. Now I'll know how really badly I've missed sales (and that I should pay more attention to Isgrimnur :roll:)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Still Playing Baja Edge of Control. Just did a Baja 500 race, which I've bumped the Ai up to 100%, but I still won handily. Out of 5 legs, I won 4, and got 3rd in one of them and only lost by a few seconds. On the other ones I beat AI by more than a minute. FWIW, the 5 legs each took like 12-16 minutes. So it's more like 1.5 hours. And I was using a Class 1 Buggy, which is almost as fast as the trophy trucks.

I don't think i want to play the full Baja 1000, which would be like 8-10 stages of 15 minutes each.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Not sure how much credence I give this, but there’s some interesting rumblings that a remake and/or sequel to KOTOR might be in the works.

Probably nothing, but would be awfully cool if true.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hope anyone but Bioware make it. They are no longer a good company. They aren't themselves.

Who am I kidding..EA owns the rights so they'll ruin it some how some way. They'll make it a young persons entry into gaming or maybe a jump platformer.

We dont need this. Make a KOTOR 3. The first one is great as its own game and still is. I still replay it every few years.
Last edited by Daehawk on Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:17 pm Not sure how much credence I give this, but there’s some interesting rumblings that a remake and/or sequel to KOTOR might be in the works.

Probably nothing, but would be awfully cool if true.
Not interested in a remake but a new game would be welcome.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
morlac

Post by morlac »

JetFred wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:45 pm
JetFred wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:35 pm I went in there the other day, still pissed about them basically killing ThinkGeek, and all I bought was dragon dice for $2 after coupon. Good luck to ya.
Uh oh. Now they are offering you $5 a month if you will give them $20 a year. Not good.
Yes but.....

They are no longer giving an extra 10% discount or credit for used games and gear. Instead you just get $5 free coupon but its only good for a month so you cant stack them for 1 free game a year. Its to drive traffic into the store more frequently. Worse deal for the consumers who frequent the used market often. No worries you still get a copy of the gaming magazine....for now.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

A KOTOR remake would go over poorly. There is no way that they're going to bring back 17-year old gameplay - probably 20 by the time they're done - on a modern AAA game. That means modernizing the mechanics, which would receive nothing but hate from anybody who played the original, even if the was a good game that strongly appealed to the younger market. All the negative response would put a damper on any positive response, and that's assuming that it was a fantastic game to begin with.

A smaller studio could get away with resurrecting old mechanics (see the resurgence of old-school isometric RPGs), but you won't see that kind of risk taking from a core EA license.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:31 pm Hope anyone but Bioware make it. They are no longer a good company. They aren't themselves.
To be honest, I'm of the opinion that circumstances weren't too kind to them. They were used to using the Unreal Engine, but because of EA's company-wide policies, were forced to use the Frostbyte engine. It was quite clear that while the engine was built for FPSs, it was a complete pain in the ass for them to use while trying to make an RPG, and from what I'd heard they never got much assistance from EA themselves. Why would they force them to use something they're unfamiliar with and then not offer assistance? That's a point of failure. So, ME: Andromeda was full of issues, didn't sell too well, which prompted EA to pause the series. The direct result was Anthem, having been forced to work on a shooter, a genre they likely had very little experience in themselves, given all the years given to RPGs. And when that doesn't perform well, well the blame is put squarely on their shoulders and now EA could easily close them. Given the chance, and choice of engine and genre to work in, I believe they could get back on track, especially given the recent popularity in classic-style rpgs such as Divnity OS and the Pillars of Eternity series.

As for the rumour, I refuse to believe an obscure website would have such a bombshell of a scoop.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Plus it's EA. From what I understand, their marketing department sticks their fingers in everything. Dialog systems, mechanics, story, etc. What you get is 2/3 Bioware, 1/3 EA marketing, all mixed together with a schedule without flexibility.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:05 pm A KOTOR remake would go over poorly. There is no way that they're going to bring back 17-year old gameplay - probably 20 by the time they're done - on a modern AAA game. That means modernizing the mechanics, which would receive nothing but hate from anybody who played the original, even if the was a good game that strongly appealed to the younger market. All the negative response would put a damper on any positive response, and that's assuming that it was a fantastic game to begin with.
I don't know how much of a concern that would really be.

Exhibit A: While the final product remains to be seen, Squeenix has received overwhelmingly positive response to their remake of Final Fantasy VII.
JCC

Post by JCC »

I would welcome a KOTOR remake with updated game mechanics. I started a replay a few years ago and quickly gave it up - partly due to the awkward movement mechanics, and partly just due to the high volume of dialog that wasn't plot relevant and was often uninteresting. (To be fair, I may have just not been in the mood for a slightly older school RPG.

I would absolutely love for them to let you play the KOTOR stories in SWTOR. That would be a pretty interesting experience - not that I think they would ever do that.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:09 pm As for the rumour, I refuse to believe an obscure website would have such a bombshell of a scoop.
I tend to agree, and it's been interesting to see the story spread in the gaming media today. As of right now, it's the top story on IGN.

The "reported" at that site gave himself plenty of wiggle-room, and I can't help but feel it was a (rather successful) tactic to drive traffic to that site.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:20 pm The "reported" at that site gave himself plenty of wiggle-room, and I can't help but feel it was a (rather successful) tactic to drive traffic to that site.
Yeah, it reads like wild speculation to me. Anytime an obscure site reportedly has an exclusive, I'd take it with a grain of salt, unless the site has concrete evidence to back it up. And even then, why an obscure site? You'd think that if a source would confirm something, they would want it to be read by as many people via a reputable website.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti