Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Rumpy

Re: PC Gaming Randomness

Post by Rumpy »

So, awhile back I got Tempest. No, not the Atari classic, but a Pirate that game was just recently came out of early-access.

Supposedly, this is a PC port of an android game, and it shows in its simplified UI. Wether it's a good game or not, I can't really tell, because I can't even get through the first tutorial, which I feel is an UI issue.

Ok, first of all, the game gets you into your first battle, gets you to go to a pirate town to repair your ship and hire more crew, and things go well. Next it's off to a port town, which is where things take a turn. In the port, the game tells you collect things from the warehouse. As part of the UI, you have to move the UI left or right to access different parts of the interface, as it tells you in the first screenshot. And in that screenshot you'll also notice something highlighted, which presumably is what the game wants you to pick up. So, click on it, and you get what the next screenshot shows, ie load any goods into the hold. Problem is, there's nothing else I can presumably put in the hold and the game is not giving me anything else to go on, and none of the buttons allow me to do anything. Either I'm really dense or the UI isn't making any sense.

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Edit: Whoa, look at that Steam link. I didn't know it could do that. Is that due to the Steam mod installed on this site?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Can't you just close that screen using the X in the lower right corner? If you are done with the loading? Or does that X do something else?

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

No, the X doesn't do anything in this case. Normally it does, but in a tutorial, it's expecting something very specific to be done. I feel like I've clicked on everything, but the game keeps wanting me to put something in the hold. If you hover around some of the items in the warehouse and the store, you'll get a blue outline indicating that these are things that can be interacted with if you need them, but nothing happens. After putting those highlighted barrels in the cargo hold, it's not accepting anything else. About the only thing I can do at that point is exit the tutorial completely and exit the game. But I want to complete the tutorial before going on with the game itself if I can.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive never heard of this game but it looks very fun and is cheap. Ill put it on my wishlist and if anyone gets it for me Ill give it a go and tell you what happens to me in that part. If nothing else I can thank you for the heads up on a neat looking game.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I had it on my list for quite awhile after looking for Pirate themed games, and during one of the last few sales, I grabbed it, but only just got to installing it this weekend. Finding it very disappointing that I can't even get through the tutorial. I think it used to be more expensive until it was out of early-access. But apparently they should have worked on it some more, namely the UI and its feedback.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I started playing HOMM2 Gold... From GOG. It's... interesting, and the game is still challenging for 20-year-old game. One can see more than a few modern games are almost direct descendants. I'm HORRIBLE in the "vs AI" scenarios. It took me 3 months game time to defeat the first campaign scenario: take out 3 other castles.

I tried to get back into Starfleet Command Gold, decided to read my own FAQ for a refresher. :D
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Been thinking of replaying the Starfleet games but not sure they'd hold up now. They were really slow. Unlike the show it took forever to kill something in the games. Weapons seemed so weak and always out of power for it all was annoying. Everything depended on your battery power and I dont ever recall that in the shows :)
stessier

Post by stessier »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:07 am I had it on my list for quite awhile after looking for Pirate themed games, and during one of the last few sales, I grabbed it, but only just got to installing it this weekend. Finding it very disappointing that I can't even get through the tutorial. I think it used to be more expensive until it was out of early-access. But apparently they should have worked on it some more, namely the UI and its feedback.
I went and found a tutorial walkthrough on Youtube. I started it at the relevant section. It's not a great walkthrough, but you can at least see what he's clicking on to move forward. Not sure if it will help you or not.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

stessier wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:27 pm
Rumpy wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:07 am I had it on my list for quite awhile after looking for Pirate themed games, and during one of the last few sales, I grabbed it, but only just got to installing it this weekend. Finding it very disappointing that I can't even get through the tutorial. I think it used to be more expensive until it was out of early-access. But apparently they should have worked on it some more, namely the UI and its feedback.
I went and found a tutorial walkthrough on Youtube. I started it at the relevant section. It's not a great walkthrough, but you can at least see what he's clicking on to move forward. Not sure if it will help you or not.
Hey thanks! Much appreciated. For some reason, I never thought to look on Youtube, but it's exactly the type of thing where a video would help. You know, I did click on those items at the bottom, but apparently the game wants a specific order? The game never explicitly states that those things at the bottom should be loaded either. I would think that the game would follow its own rules and highlight what's necessary. I thought those were items you had already on you. I didn't know what it was expecting.

So, I just checked, and YES, it works! Thank you! Hopefully won't hit anymore snags like this :D

Edit: So, thanks to Stessier, I've made it past the tutorial and down into the meat of the game. It's actually quite decent. If you all loved the combat in Black Flag, this is essentially more of that. There's nothing all that much beyond the combat. Questing is done by sailing to your locations via overhead map... I'll call them nagivational charts for period accuracy :D Visiting towns is more akin to towns represented in Sid Meier's Pirates, ie UI, and you can pick up more missions at each town via mission board. There's quite a lot to do in that respect and it's easy to feel overwhelmed.

Now the meat of the game. Most of the work done on this game is with the sea combat. The graphics turned up at max don't present any issue, and they're actually quite good. The water maybe doesn't quite look as good as Black Flag, and the ship does seem to disappear underneath the water at times. Details on the ship are good. You get a deckside view when zooming in fully and when you look down, you have access to your charts. There's not really much in terms of animation going on. Your crewmembers, for example will just stand there, though I hear they're maybe working on that. One neat thing that Black Flag didn't have is the spyglass and the way it's used here. It's very much a necessity in that you use it to reveal an opponent's stats and weakpoints. In other words, you're very much blind with out in tactical terms. There is ship boarding, and it's pretty interesting, which again, leads me to believe there will be idle crew animation for the deck, because here you have your whole crew participating in boarding action, and you get to use your sword and pistols. The little I've played of it so far, it's fun.
Last edited by Rumpy on Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
stessier

Post by stessier »

Glad it helped! Hope the game gets better/more intuitive from there. :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

So, some eye-candy from this game now. It can be quite gorgeous at times.

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

And there are storms that can and will wreck you. It's actually a lot less forgiving than Black Flag when you encounter storms.
Enlarge Image

Don't have a shot yet, but they do have sea monsters that will appear at random.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Played Silent Storm Sentinels, wanted to finish the campaign, even with cheats, just to see how it is. The savegame somehow got corrupted as the game goes kaput after loading a cutscene, play it, and goes into infinite loop.

ARGH! Loading from earlier savegames didn't seem to help.

Played Warhammer 40K: Deathwatch. Turn-based tactical combat with a ton of tactical options, as you unlock more spacemarines and equipment for them to use. There's also 'cards' that give extra equipment (including better equipment) as well as bonus stuff like grenades, and so on.

The prologue wasn't that hard if I am careful. But I'm sure the real missions are much harder.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i swear i had downloaded a free copy of Beyond Divinity from a digital game store at some point, but i've checked most of them and i can't find where that could have been. only one left is Impulse (now Gamestop PC Downloads) and i'm waiting for a password reset, but i'm pretty sure it's not there.

i did find that i owned Total War Shogun II and its expansion on Direct2Drive that they had been giving away for free back in 2012, which i had completely forgotten about... it's worth going back to your forgotten digital store accounts and seeing what you have on there, is the moral of the story.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I was never able to get back into my Impulse account after Stardock (a company I trust) sold it to Gamestop (a company I don't.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:19 am I was never able to get back into my Impulse account after Stardock (a company I trust) sold it to Gamestop (a company I don't.)
it looks like you're correct :shock:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I just posted a way in the other thread to get an old copy of Impulse working and at least see your games list and get the serial codes for them all.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=95147
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i did find that i owned Total War Shogun II and its expansion on Direct2Drive that they had been giving away for free back in 2012, which i had completely forgotten about... it's worth going back to your forgotten digital store accounts and seeing what you have on there, is the moral of the story.
and the reason i had forgotten about it was that i had purchased it as a gift. whoops.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Try to go through the Starfleet Command "federation academy". The "technical ship" tests are IMPOSSIBLE because the victory conditions don't always trigger. There's supposed to be a "race" where I was supposed to skirt the asteroid. Except the enemy ship fly like distance 10 from the asteroid, whereas I get within 5 and I still don't get "nav point passed". If I get closer, I ended up crashing against the asteroid. WTF.

There's also this "test" where I was supposed to drag a ship to the asteroid, except it won't register when I dragged it within distance 6. I ended up dragging it so close the ship went KABOOM.

Argh. Guess I'll go try HOMM2 a bit more.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i was playing not one, but TWO games today that JetFred doesn't own!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Wow - not snark at all. That is truly noteworthy. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

If you weren't also an indie gamer, that would be unremarkable (AAA titles can take me a while), but you are. I don't count Space Pirate Trainer because I don't have VR, but it is weird that I don't have Slain: Back from Hell or Strikey Sisters. I also don't have the second Universe Sandbox yet. Good job.
I have but one advocate.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Dang, and My Summer Car.
I have but one advocate.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

JetFred wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:46 pm If you weren't also an indie gamer, that would be unremarkable (AAA titles can take me a while), but you are. I don't count Space Pirate Trainer because I don't have VR, but it is weird that I don't have Slain: Back from Hell or Strikey Sisters. I also don't have the second Universe Sandbox yet. Good job.
there was also

the VR games are at the office - i do QA on firmware for VR systems and Space Pirate Trainer (along with Tilt Brush) are excellent programs to quickly verify if a firmware build is functional. also, it's way more fun than i would have expected - i recommend it to any VR system owner.

background info:

i'm very used to seeing something like this on a ton of games i own

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The older I get the more I dislike change. The Nexus has changed its site for Skyrim SE. Im not sure they did for the other sites. Im betting its a site wide change. Not liking it at all. Ill get used to it. Maybe years ago I would have loved it.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/?
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:01 pm there was also

No, I have that. Maybe it's because I haven't played it.
I have but one advocate.
KDH

Post by KDH »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:13 pm ... The Nexus has changed its site for Skyrim SE. Im not sure they did for the other sites. Im betting its a site wide change.

There was .. THIS on the GOG page (6 days ago)

<snippets>
Modding is...
It's one of the things that defines PC gaming – keeping our favorite games alive (and better!), bringing us together as a community, a way to explore our passions, sometimes an open door into the industry of our dreams.
So it only stands to reason that Nexus Mods – the biggest, most active modding network out there right now – has a very special place in our hearts… The Nexus Mods site has just undergone a huge redesign and we took the occasion to say thanks to the PC gaming community together!

A message from Nexus Mods
In celebration of our new site design, we have teamed up with GOG.com, MSI, Corsair, and PCMasterRace to share our love for PC gaming worldwide through a massive giveaway! Before we get into the juicy details though, I wanted to take a quick trip down memory lane and look at some of the previous designs we've used at Nexus Mods before reaching this point.
Since its initial founding in 2001, Nexus Mods has been through many incarnations. It all started with Morrowind Chronicles, a fansite for Morrowind and its sister site, Morrowind Mod Library. This was the founder's (Dark0ne / Robin) first attempt at a proper mod hosting solution for Morrowind fans.
Ain't nobody got time for that
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thanks. Will look into that. I wonder what that giveaway is?

NM I see it there on the page. Cool look back.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Decided to go oldskool... Started playing FEAR. Yep, never did play it. Lots of jump scares alright. I'm playing Godmode, as I'm not really into skilled run-n-gun. :) Though I guess I should just play EASY. :D
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I played F.E.A.R. long after its release date. It held up remarkably well as a shooter, but that was still years ago.

As for the scary parts, it really didn't work for me. There were 2, maybe 3 noteworthy moments but that's it, in the whole game. The rest was standard shooter stuff.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Played each of the Fear games 3 or 4 times. The first one and maybe 2 are still the best to me. They started going downhill to me.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Was visiting id Software's 1996 webpage through the Internet Wayback Machine a bit ago. Got a laugh at the file size of the Quake shareware and the description. At the time I think I had a 850 meg hard drive. id said they broke the shareware into smaller file so you could copy them to 8 1.44mb floppies to give to friends hahah. Then it says if you want theres one HUGE file if you want to grab it all at once thats 8.5 meg. HUGE. At the time I guess it would have taken me 20 min to grab that..maybe a bit less.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Come on down and I'll take you to their HQ. I used to work in the same building they moved into.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Empires of Steel.
I bet I've had that game for ten years and have never learned it.Today I finally did. At least enough to start past the tutorial.
They now have it for a pay as much as you want for it.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Uh oh. New gaming lull after I've finished my current game and have yet to fixate on a new game.

Hmmm.

Tried playing Bayonetta on hard but my heart's just not in it.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:46 pm Come on down and I'll take you to their HQ. I used to work in the same building they moved into.
Ha that would be something. The memories.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:47 am Uh oh. New gaming lull after I've finished my current game and have yet to fixate on a new game.

Hmmm.

I'm in the same place. I finished my XCOM2 campaign up last night. I have Prey, Divinity Original Sin 2, PUBG and Nioh all installed and I sat here just looking at them all last night.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The version of King of Dragon Pass on GOG has been remastered.
King of Dragon Pass, the updated version of the seminal strategy/RPG with innovative storytelling, is now available DRM-free on GOG.com with a 50% discount until December 10, 11PM UTC.

Almost 20 years after its original release, the fantasy classic returns with a sharper UI and the lovely illustrations cleaned up to be more on par with modern standards. Its seminal worldbuilding and addictive gameplay are as absorbing as ever, plus the added content promises to give veterans extra incentive to return to this wonderful saga.

This is a free update for all owners of the classic version, which is now included in this as a bonus goodie.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Having restored my gaming drive twice in 11 days (because of hard drive failures), I can report that the Blizzard / Battlenet clients stomps the crap out of the STEAM client, in terms of how easy it is to migrate files.

For Battlenet, you load the client and then drop the game folders from your backup location into the appropriate directory. Or simply have the client find them or even easier, tell the client where to look. It took 4 seconds.

For STEAM, you can also simply drop your backups into the appropriate directories, however STEAM apparently needs to crunch through every file and verify everything. After that it randomly downloads a tiny amount (or in the case of Company of Heroes the entire game) before you can play. Took me a few hours to get up and running.

Either way, it was still faster than needing to take 11 days to re-acquire what I lost after the first HDD failure. I guess if you have a fast ISP it doesn't matter, but for me, a USB TB drive saved the day.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:32 am
GreenGoo wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:47 am Uh oh. New gaming lull after I've finished my current game and have yet to fixate on a new game.

Hmmm.

I'm in the same place. I finished my XCOM2 campaign up last night. I have Prey, Divinity Original Sin 2, PUBG and Nioh all installed and I sat here just looking at them all last night.
Same thing last night. I just sat there looking at the games. My gaming brain is on the fritz.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:53 pm
coopasonic wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:32 am

Hmmm.

Same thing last night. I just sat there looking at the games. My gaming brain is on the fritz.
+1 for me. I've played an hour of about half a dozen different MMO's, hoping one would click. ESO, FFXIV, GW2, Blade & Soul, Neverwinter, Rift, Tera, and SWTOR. Problem is, I've put 100+ hours into all of them already (except Rift, which is boring), and just can't generate any excitement to continue.

Tried a few JRPG's (the new Star Ocean remaster, FF XII, Hyperdimension Neptunia), a couple action'ish games (Path of Exile, Hand of Fate 2), and even a couple space sims (Elite, Everspace), but nothing is grabbing me at all.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.