Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Re: Video Games Randomness

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:44 pm Play the new Steam Beta Library page game, which now comes with an Unplayed filter.
I've already got that with the site I mentioned. It's trying to find something that interests me that's the tough part.

Frankly, and I'm sure this is true for some of you, it's the game you didn't even have on your radar that pops up and suddenly grabs your attention. That's what I'm waiting for :coffee:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I’m working my way through Far Cry 2. I’m in the southern part of the map, which is where I quit years ago when it was on consoles, as it didn’t seem to change much in terms of locales or mechanics.

I don’t need new weapons, I have no desire to 100% the 200+ diamond locations, as I don’t feel the need to buy everything, so I’m just chasing the mission markers around the map and hoping the end isn’t too anticlimactic.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:34 pm I’m working my way through Far Cry 2. I’m in the southern part of the map, which is where I quit years ago when it was on consoles, as it didn’t seem to change much in terms of locales or mechanics.
That brings back memories :D. FC2 was one of the few games I've played through twice. I really enjoyed it and even made a point to collect all the diamonds, or at least most of them :roll:. Some folks didn't like the mechanic of only being able to save at camps, but I think it gave me motivation to plan ahead more carefully.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:34 pm I’m working my way through Far Cry 2. I’m in the southern part of the map, which is where I quit years ago when it was on consoles, as it didn’t seem to change much in terms of locales or mechanics.

I don’t need new weapons, I have no desire to 100% the 200+ diamond locations, as I don’t feel the need to buy everything, so I’m just chasing the mission markers around the map and hoping the end isn’t too anticlimactic.
I got to the 2nd area twice and gave up both times. Never went back. What bugged me was the malaria nonsense and how the checkpoints continued to respawn bad guys. No matter how I cleaned them out the next time I had to drive through there it was loaded again. No thanks. Also you're right the areas never really changed.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:25 am I got to the 2nd area twice and gave up both times. Never went back. What bugged me was the malaria nonsense and how the checkpoints continued to respawn bad guys. No matter how I cleaned them out the next time I had to drive through there it was loaded again. No thanks. Also you're right the areas never really changed.
The malaria stuff was to drive part of the story I guess. Forced you to go to certain areas. I didn't mind it.

I didn't have a problem with the idea that the checkpoints you cleared out would be re-manned after a while. After all, there are hundred or thousands of bad guys. I could rationalize that if a checkpoint didn't answer its radio after a while they would send out more troops. In FC2, it was just you and the occasional buddy you could call up. Also it made me go cross-country a lot to avoid the checkpoints and so I got to see more of the map. In the later Far Cry games this was changed by the idea that you had allies that would man the outposts after you took them. It was a bit illogical since if the bad guys really wanted an outpost back they could bring a whole lot more troops and just overrun and retake it.

Actually I'd like to see a future Far Cry game go back to this concept that you are alone out there except for the occasional buddy. It made being stealthy more critical.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Stealth is irrelevant when I have a Jeep with a grenade launcher.

And the PC version has quicksave and save anywhere added.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Took me about 19 hours, but I'm back at one of my absolute favorite areas of Borderlands - Old Haven. I remembered the beginning of the game and I remembered bits and pieces of New Haven and the junk yard stuff, but most of it I totally forgot. But not Old Haven, no sir. There's a DOOM 2 level it reminds me of and I think that's why I like it so much.

Regardless, I'm still enjoying the hell out of the GOTY Remastered version of Borderlands, way more than I thought I would. The game still delivers.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

FYI, a nice corrosive weapon really helps in Old Haven.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And a nice corrosive AoE grenade (MIRV, rain,etc) is a godsend there.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh, I remember. Maybe that's why it made such and impression on me - it was the first time corrosive weapons were pretty much required. I'm about to hit level 30 and I've been using a crazy level 15 fire pistol (as Brick no less) because even against similarly leveled enemies it kicks so much ass. That's what I love about this game - always chasing the loot pinata. :D
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I've been playing my second Brick (actually, he was my first one). He's 100% rocket launchers. I have a sweet corrosive launcher with a 4.9x (I think) scope. With my proficiency level, it's like having a sniper rifle. It definitely helped in Old Haven. The problem I'm having now is that my weapons are too low level. At least I think that's the issue. Things are taking way too many shots... especially when those shots are rockets. But I'm just not finding many drops/rewards. :(

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I wanted to make my Brick all about rockets, but yes - I'm not finding (looting, store) anything even close to the fire pistol I randomly picked up somewhere. It's absolutely tearing through the soldiers in Old Haven, btw - not at all what I expected. Brick is fun, but I still think my original play through as the solider was the best. That turret was fantastic. I don't think I've used Brick's melee power more than 5 times....just not my play style.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sorta my feelings on BL PS. Im playing the Jack clone because his adlibs are funny. His skill is ok I suppose but I prefer Wilhem's 2 droves that attack and heal. But sticking with Jack Double.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Trying to get into "WH40K Mechanicus" again. It is basically an automated boardgame, and I guess I haven't quite figured out the build or the strategy yet, as the troops are worse than fodder (they die after two hits) and I can't get cognition points fast enough to matter. But with some upgrades (obtained blackstone from editing the savegame) the game is actually tolerable now. Still not sure if I want to keep trying.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:16 pm Frankly, and I'm sure this is true for some of you, it's the game you didn't even have on your radar that pops up and suddenly grabs your attention. That's what I'm waiting for :coffee:
Or, in my case, I forgot that on the day after my foot surgery, while zonked on narcotics, I purchased all the DLC for Two Point Hospital which was on sale. Then we evacuated for six nights due to Hurricane Dorian and when I came back I'd totally forgotten I'd bought all of them. Then a couple of days ago I remembered, fired up the game for just a quick look and now I've put in over a half-dozen hours :roll:
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

didn't feel like going out tonight so i played some of the 'new' Famicom games i got from Japan. i tried Densetsu no Kishi Elrond (伝説の騎士エルロンド "Legendary Knight Elrond"), the JP version of the NES' Wizards and Warriors, and it was actually *easier* than the original US version. got to the fourth level without much trouble - US version i'd have trouble passing the first.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Diablo III Now a "Classic"
The interesting element is that Diablo III, the action/RPG sequel that launched in 2012, is now categorized among these classics.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

With a bit of a cheat, I'm working my way through WH40K Mechanicus (after giving myself a ton of Blackstone to outfit my Techpriests) The game seems insanely difficult early on... You get so little Blackstone (in-game currency) for upgrades per mission and the process of outfiting a techpriest wasn't EXPLAINED that well. There's also no good way to sort the various head, torso, leg, and stuff so you'd just get the best one or whatever. Not sure if I ever want to buy the Heretek DLC.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I got Mechanicus free from somewhere and when I think about playing it I just start thinking about playing XCOM2:WOTC again. Why try something new when I already have the perfect version? Yes, I know it isn't literally perfect, but with the right mods it comes damn close for me.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:12 am I got Mechanicus free from somewhere and when I think about playing it I just start thinking about playing XCOM2:WOTC again. Why try something new when I already have the perfect version? Yes, I know it isn't literally perfect, but with the right mods it comes damn close for me.
Which mods do you use Coop? I've never played with mods at all in XCOM2.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

What I got from this video. Wonder Woman's husband Mr Altman is an asshole and Zenimax is partly owned by Trump's brother.

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I want a city building game where there are no obstacles. No drought, no flooding, no tornadoes or hurricanes, no earthquakes, alien invasions or giant monsters destroying the city. No bandits, motorcycle gangs or Viking invasions.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Fardaza wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:02 pm
coopasonic wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:12 am I got Mechanicus free from somewhere and when I think about playing it I just start thinking about playing XCOM2:WOTC again. Why try something new when I already have the perfect version? Yes, I know it isn't literally perfect, but with the right mods it comes damn close for me.
Which mods do you use Coop? I've never played with mods at all in XCOM2.
Copied from the WotC thread because I am lazy:
These are all Quality of Life and Bug Fixes:
Faster Challenge Score Messages
[WotC] Mod Config Menu
Stop Wasting My Time - WotC
Blackmarket Usage
Overwatch All/Others WotC
No Reveal Cinematics
WOTC Nice Mission Debriefing
[WotC] Expanded Callsigns and Nicknames
Chosen Dark Events Fix
Instant Avenger Menus - WotC
[WOTC] Faster Reload Animations
[WOTC] Ability Interaction Fixes
Enhanced action camera
[WOTC] Cinematic Rapid Fire (and other abilities)
X2WOTCCommunityHighlander
[WotC] Peek From Concealment UI Fix
[WOTC] Peek From Concealment
Missing Packages Fix + Resource
Insider Knowledge Fix
[WOTC] Detailed Soldier Lists
WotC: robojumper's Squad Select
[WOTC] New Promotion Screen by Default

These change the game, generally making it easier in minor ways:
[WOTC] Fair Lost Targeting <- by default Lost will prioritize XCOM over any other targets. This removes that priority. It's still a die roll, but a more balanced die roll.
WOTC Flawless <- by default there is no reward for Flawless missions, this gives rewards for that. The rewards are small but since most of my missions are flawless they definitely add up and have an impact on the strategic layer.
Resistance Weapon Upgrades WotC <- When you upgrade weapons so does the resistance. Share and share alike!
[WotC] Gotcha Again <- When you can see an enemy it *should* be easy to tell when you would alert them. This helps with that.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Got bored playing all the other ****, so started on Far Cry 4. Yes, I'm behind the times. I think the worst part about Far Cry 3 and on is at the beginning, you can't carry ANYTHING and are required to hunt some animals to craft the sling or whatever. At the beginning, you can only carry a melee weapon and a long-gun. No side-arm, no two long-guns. JUST ONE long gun. I'm a guy who relies on two long-guns... a sniper rifle and an assault rifle. This makes for some serious adjustments. Where would I even find a black Siberian wolf anyway? Got a snow leopard because the bad guys got it in a cage and apparently the bait I attracted managed to free it while taking out the soldiers. Then the leopard ran and came back for the soldiers. Nabbed a LOT of skins that way, but it's all simple black bear, do I have to keep a large collection of skins or what? ARGH. Now I have to go hunt down some goat and deer to craft a wallet.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm thinking you are posting with tongue firmly in cheek. The animal locations are shown on the map. Just be careful of the honey badgers, they are MEAN :shock:

To me FC3 was the height of the series. FC4 had some nice touches, but the story seemed to suffer a bit. And I think FC5 wasn't anywhere as good. Now that I have Uplay+ I intend to give Far Cry 5 New Dawn a look, once I burn out out on Ghost Recon Breakpoint.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I also got a lot of fun out of FC3 and the hunting to me was the best of the series in it. My only real gripe is that the cool bad guy was not the last bad guy in the game. It should have ended with cool bad guy's death.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

dbt1949 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:49 pm I want a city building game where there are no obstacles. No drought, no flooding, no tornadoes or hurricanes, no earthquakes, alien invasions or giant monsters destroying the city. No bandits, motorcycle gangs or Viking invasions.
You want Sim City or Tropico in sandbox mode.

When's the last time they made a Sim City, anyway? I remember not liking the last one I played, but that was a long time ago.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Kraken wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:06 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:49 pm I want a city building game where there are no obstacles. No drought, no flooding, no tornadoes or hurricanes, no earthquakes, alien invasions or giant monsters destroying the city. No bandits, motorcycle gangs or Viking invasions.

When's the last time they made a Sim City, anyway? I remember not liking the last one I played, but that was a long time ago.
2013 (has it been six years already?), but general consensus is Cities: Skylines has taken up the mantle of 'spiritual successor'
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

jztemple2 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:51 pm I'm thinking you are posting with tongue firmly in cheek. The animal locations are shown on the map. Just be careful of the honey badgers, they are MEAN :shock:
Yeah, they are. I got enough to make myself the max weapon sling (3 long guns and the sidearm). Now I can't find a Bhalat (the goat) to save my life. It's sambat (the deer) everywhere, until I run into rhino, monkey, and other stuff territory. And I've had enough of the black eagle keep pecking me. I've killed like 6-7 already.

Oh, and so far, as I've only opened 1 out of 19 towers, the only animals on the map are deer, goat, monkey, rhino, and badger. Wolf isn't on the map yet. If it wasn't for the Amita mission, clearing out a wolf den, I'd have zero wolf pelts.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Kraken wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:06 pm

Hmm..........I do have Tropico 5 tat I haven't given a fair shake to.
And City Skylines for that matter.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

FWIW, XCOM2 collection is $37 at Fanatical. Don't believe it'll get much cheaper. But I already have too many games to play, I think I'll wait for it to go down a bit more.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

There is some bug on my puter where every time I close Civ6 it generates a notice to send to Firaxis saying there's an error when there's not.
Normally I just close it and ignore it. This time I keep sending it in hopes that Firaxis will fix the notice. Maybe after they keep getting it from 1000s of people they'll do something about it.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I swear I've gone over that Bhalat (goat) location on the Far Cry 4 map in all directions for a kilometer and I've yet to see a single goat. WTF. I need like 4 Bhalat pelts at least to make wallets and such. In fact I'd say the only Bhalat I've seen are those I saw before I got to the rebel village.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wow bethesda how crappy can you get. The 'forgot username/password' box wont stay open long enough for me to even type in my email to get the help from you...ive refreshed 15 times and tried to out type it but nope..f u.

Then I go to the website directly and I sign in fine...go back to their desktop launcher with the same login info and it fails. Wonderful.

I try to have them send me an email with login and pass to confirm Im doing it right and I never get the emails..bethesda you POS.

Maybe they'll come through in an hour.

EDIT:And I got it right but changed the PW to be sure and can log in the website as always but cant the launcher. So either I never use the launcher to play ESO or something is screwy. I swear I was in the launcher just the other day. Guess I can delete it if I dont need it. ill download the game from the website....though now Im kinda too mad to care...wasn't much for it anyways....want to play something..some mmo maybe but cant find a thing I care for.

EDIT2: Seems to be many many posts online dating back months..its a shitty buggy Bsoft launcher problem. Oh well. Hope I dont actually need it to run ESO. Even if I do load it....play 5 min...and delete it again like Ive been doing to all games.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Kasey Chang wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:42 am I swear I've gone over that Bhalat (goat) location on the Far Cry 4 map in all directions for a kilometer and I've yet to see a single goat. WTF. I need like 4 Bhalat pelts at least to make wallets and such. In fact I'd say the only Bhalat I've seen are those I saw before I got to the rebel village.
Found a bunch of Bhalat (goats) just east of the first "outpost" I had to liberate. Finally, that's done. ARGH. Also found pigs and yak. Just need a few wild boars, then the really tough stuff, like demonfish, and such fancy stuff. Time to sell any remaining skins as not to take up the inventory space, despite enlarging the loot bag to 90 (it was at like, 45) Will save the Hurk missions and Golden Path missions for next time.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

The PC doesn't have very many Western games, so I'm currently playing GUN. It wears its age on its sleeve and the controls do suck, at least when it comes to a controller, but when modding it for widescreen, it's quite a fun game.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Wow, I suuuuuuuck at platformers these days. Humble Bundle had the Crash and Spyro remakes this month, and I'm absolutely dreadful. Got about 25% through Crash before wanting to chuck my controller through the screen. Doesn't help that the controls aren't the greatest, and the game design is certainly showing its age...but still. Man, I'm bad.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:00 pm The PC doesn't have very many Western games, so I'm currently playing GUN. It wears its age on its sleeve and the controls do suck, at least when it comes to a controller, but when modding it for widescreen, it's quite a fun game.
In early November Red Dead Redemption 2 comes to the PC so you have another choice :D
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Think I loved all the westerns on it. my favorite ones were the first two Call of Juarez games.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:43 pm
Rumpy wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:00 pm The PC doesn't have very many Western games, so I'm currently playing GUN. It wears its age on its sleeve and the controls do suck, at least when it comes to a controller, but when modding it for widescreen, it's quite a fun game.
In early November Red Dead Redemption 2 comes to the PC so you have another choice :D
It is kind of ironic that I posted that the night before it was announced, wasn't it? :D But I've already played RDR2 to death on the PS4. Easily my favourite game this year. I feel it has Rockstar's strongest narrative to date.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti