Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: Video Games Randomness

Post by Daehawk »

Just a little look back blurb

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I've found "Fall Guys" to be entertaining. Short bite-sized rounds of mayhem. And was free for Playstation Plus accounts.

Carry on.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I'm done with the Diablo 3 season and really have the MMO itch. Contemplating returning to WoW, but seems silly because it's so close to the new expansion, and I'm not about to pay for BfA if I get into it before then. (I haven't played seriously since MoP. Played Classic for a few weeks... would go back to that, but it's so tedious outside of the nostalgia.)

The other option is FFXIV which I keep trying but just can't seem to make myself sit down and play. The combat doesn't entice me. But I really should find a way to give it a shot.

Also considered giving CoH Homecoming a try, but that doesn't seem like as much of a pick up and play.

I know why the traditional MMO market is dead, but it's sad there's rarely anything new to try.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Elder Scrolls Online?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:46 pm Elder Scrolls Online?
aka 'free for a limited time'

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/freeplay
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Thanks guys, I did forget about that one... the other of the big three.

Another one I've tried a few times to get into, but not recently. I actually did enjoy it the last time, and it might be the gameplay variety I'm craving. However I wasn't considering it recently as I figured I'd want to buy the expansions. I'll look into the free period.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

There's Guild Wars 2 as well.
I no longer post here.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

And don't forget EQ on Project 1999. Still going strong.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

There is also Lord of the Rings Online, Star Trek Online, Champions Online, Neverwinter, The Secret World Legends, Age of Conan, Star Wars The Old Republic, and Fallout 76, just to name the ones I have installed. None of them are new, but they're all options.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Sudy wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:04 pm I'm done with the Diablo 3 season and really have the MMO itch. Contemplating returning to WoW, but seems silly because it's so close to the new expansion, and I'm not about to pay for BfA if I get into it before then. (I haven't played seriously since MoP. Played Classic for a few weeks... would go back to that, but it's so tedious outside of the nostalgia.)

The other option is FFXIV which I keep trying but just can't seem to make myself sit down and play. The combat doesn't entice me. But I really should find a way to give it a shot.

Also considered giving CoH Homecoming a try, but that doesn't seem like as much of a pick up and play.

I know why the traditional MMO market is dead, but it's sad there's rarely anything new to try.
If you're in the mood for a more unique and original MMO experience, check this out:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Phantasy Star Online 2 apparently just released on Steam today as well. Heard some good things about it.

I had avoided it because I heard the implementation through the Windows Store was horrific, but might give it a look now that it’s on Steam.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Baroquen wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:47 am I've found "Fall Guys" to be entertaining. Short bite-sized rounds of mayhem. And was free for Playstation Plus accounts.

Carry on.
Fall Guys is hilarious. It’s basically MXC/Takeshi’s Castle in battle royale form. The kids absolutely love it and I’ll admit it’s a blast to play.

Downside is that their servers seem to be having a hell of a time keeping up. It’s about 50/50 whether a match will start or time out.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:12 pm
Baroquen wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:47 am I've found "Fall Guys" to be entertaining. Short bite-sized rounds of mayhem. And was free for Playstation Plus accounts.

Carry on.
Fall Guys is hilarious. It’s basically MXC/Takeshi’s Castle in battle royale form. The kids absolutely love it and I’ll admit it’s a blast to play.

Downside is that their servers seem to be having a hell of a time keeping up. It’s about 50/50 whether a match will start or time out.
Yes. Severs got hammered on launch. Then, they were down most of yesterday (into today?) for maintenance. It's been ok today so far. I've won one run, which is more than my son has done so... bragging rights. :D
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

So I tried out the.first couple hours of Phantasy Star Online 2 today. I’m sure there have been games that made a worse first impression, but nothing is springing immediacy to mind.

PSO2 is an absolutely baffling array of menus, sub-menus, item and weapon stats, endless tutorial messages jumbled together, and other assorted clutter. The game basically throws you in the deep end with the barest minimum of guidance and says “good luck”.

It took me the better part of 20 minutes to simply figure out how to accept and start the very first story mission. When I did finally get there, the objective was “proceed to the final area”. No indication of where that was or what I was supposed to do. I blindly ran through the entire map hoping something would trigger, all the while being bombarded with messages about “emergency enemies” and “critical events” that I may or may not have been participating in. I finally got to a room with a teleporter in it, which I thought simply sent me back up to the ship, but apparently triggered the stage boss fight. I beat the boss (barely), was showered with items, completion percentages, and other meaningless stats, and ported back to the main hub where a whole new slew of icons and messages awaited me...none of which made a lick of sense,. So yay, I guess?

I get that it’s an older MMO, but you’d think that in the 8 years it’s been out, they could have streamlined even just a little bit of the intro experience so people weren’t completely lost in the first two hours,
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I've downloaded it but have yet to try it... likely won't have the chance for a day or two. What "ship"/server are you on? In the unlikely chance you stick around and I ever even boot it up. 8-)

The game seems to have some real fans, and I was looking forward to finally getting the chance to try it. But after your first impressions coupled with my distaste for the modern popular anime aesthetic (though I'm sure I could put this aside for a great game), my hopes aren't high. It sounds like it has Japanese esoteric gaming conventions/sensory overload syndrome.

I have no innate affinity for Phantasy Star. I didn't have a Sega system between the Game Gear and Dreamcast. I think I tried one of the classic games for half an hour on GBA or maybe it was the Genesis Collection on PC. I probably would have gotten into the original PSO, except I was without internet when I did most of my Dreamcast gaming. (What wonderful memories of that console... Skies of Arcadia, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Shenmue, NBA 2K1, Unreal Tournament.... At least, those were mine. I didn't have a PC either during that period.)

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I installed it but haven't gotten to it. I grabbed it because I loved the originals on Sega Genesis back in the early 1990s. But they were traditional overhead RPGs. If this is nothing like them I doubt Ill like it .
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

From what I've to this point gathered it's like if anime Diablo dropped acid at a rave for accountants.

Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

As much as I tend to wander from game to game, I'm thinking of passing on PSO2 too. I think I briefly played the original way back when, but was disappointed. And I'm not a fan of the graphics style, particularly. Plus reviews here and elsewhere, (and it being so old) all suggest I'll not bother.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont think its for me. I tried it and its all ok but the menus. Theres menu after menu after menu and theres no clear way to use them. As mentioned sorta its like playing a spreadsheet with graphics. Ill stick to GW2.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

I was going to try it but a lot of people seem to be complaining about the anticheat software it uses. It brought memories of the Starforce DRM back.
I no longer post here.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Sudy wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:40 am From what I've to this point gathered it's like if anime Diablo dropped acid at a rave for accountants.
That’s a good description. The amount of information the game throws at you with little or no explanation is simply absurd. I have no problem playing older MMOs, but this one just seems particularly poorly designed, especially to a newcomer. I’ve never played a less user-friendly introduction in an MMO before.

Here’s another example. I was wondering why I wasn’t gaining any new skills as I was leveling up. I happened to be poking around in a “Sub-palette” (what they call a sub-menu, for some reason) in the Items menu, and came across a whole list of skills. There was a brief (3 sentence) pop up that basically said “you can equip these skills by assigning them to your task bar”. So I basically just lucked into finding out about skills in a sub-sub-menu because the game gives you no guidance to look there. That’s just absolute shit design, no matter how you slice it.

Like others, I have no nostalgia for the Phantasy Star series. The overall aesthetic reminds me a lot of the Star Ocean games (a series I’ve never been crazy about), and is one that I’m quickly finding to be more annoying than enjoyable,

That said, I’m going to give it another shot today. I didn’t even boot it up until 10:00 last night, so it’s entirely possible I just wasn’t in the right headspace for it. I’m on Ship 4, if anyone feels like suffering through it as well.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Tried PSO2 again and came away knowing that this one just isn't for me at all. It's a complete mess that I can't make heads nor tails of.

I'm sure there's probably a fun game buried in there somewhere, but I don't really have the interest or patience to try and find it.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

VVVVVVV "Doing Things the Hard Way". i think i've died 100 times and i still can't get the stupid trinket. supposedly it is the toughest level in the entire game so there's that. you have to be ON for like eight screens in a row with no break. but here, watch Terry Cavanaugh beat it in 10 seconds

Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

I will never forget getting that trinket, it's genuinely one of my proudest gaming achievements. :lol:

VVVVVV is such an incredibly well-crafted game. I did beat it, but no way could I get every trinket.
I no longer post here.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:04 amVVVVVVV "Doing Things the Hard Way".
I find Live-Die-Repeat style games incredibly annoying and not much fun. My eldest absolutely loves Geometry Dash, which is all about memorizing levels and knowing exactly when to press the jump button. It's just not for me.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Trying multiple games.

Siege of Centauri -- good tower defense, but you can't block paths. It's basically building the right tower at the right place at the right time. The backstory is a lot better though, based on Stardock's Ashes of Singularity universe. But it's still the same type of towers... gun, mortar, incendiary/damage-over-time, tesla/shotgun, and so on. However, you now have to upgrade the colony you're protecting to get the really advanced towers, and you can call down temporary reinforcements based on energy available... but only if you can guard the fusion plant or metal refinery. It's a good mix.

V-Rally 4 -- Big Ben / Milestone's rally title after they lost the WRC license, and it looks pretty darn good (Monument valley one is good), but the section times are way off. In other rally titles, the "ruler" shows your pace compared to other drivers on the stage. In this one, it seems to measure you against the OVERALL clock instead, and the pace is way off. In some sections you can beat the clock by like 10-12 seconds, then lose 10 seconds the next section even though you drove at max attack. Then it doesn't warn you about what vehicle you should be using. It lets you use Tier 1 cars in Tier 2 events and lose badly (and thus, win nothing). And it has a team management thing where you have head mechanic, mechanic, engineer, and agent. And they need to be paid PER WEEK, out of your winnings (if you have any). Yet you need to buy the car in one tier to unlock the next tier. While the game has multiple disciplines, it's NOT implemented that well. AI is fully tuneable from 1 to 99 (default is 50) but it's not tuned well. On Rally it's too hard (I had to tune it down to like 35) but it's stupid on Rallycross (I'm beating AI easily even with it set to 60). Haven't tried the other disciplines yet, as I don't have enough cash reserve to buy all the other cars needed like buggy, Kenyan rally, and hillclimb (I only have rally 1 and 2, and rallycross 1)

Tyler Model 005 -- 3D platform game, light combat, with a rather frustrating "energy management"... You have to periodically stay in the light to recharge or you die. So you end up going on a lamp hunt... So you can turn on the light. When you need to perform like 10-15 steps just to ATTEMPT to get to the objective, like a key hidden on the rafters, it's frustrating to play. When combined with control oddities (can't attack with gamepad, but keyboard is not precise enough, as double-tap means roll-dodge) it's VERY difficult to actually play. After a dozen times repeating the attempt to jump on a moving ceiling fan blade, and fail to stop in time, I rage quit the game.

All Walls Must Fall -- feel like a combination of X-COM lite and Mass Effect's convo system... with a heavy dose of LGBT culture (I had to look up the meaning of hanky code) as you can choose between violent or talk paths. Very interesting, if a bit difficult to figure out the convo paths.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Epic Games isn't sending 2FA codes on login for some reason...
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I'm grinding my way through V-Rally, and I must say I'm not enjoying it as much as I did Dirt 4 (which I "completed" by getting triple crown in Rally, Landrush, and RallyCross). In V-Rally, you get Rally, RallyCross, Hillclimb, Extreme-Khana (Gymkhana), and Buggy, but they felt like lame add-ons, rather than genuine additions. Buggy felt like an "extreme offroad" version of rallycross with huge jumps and alternate tracks (but no joker lap), while Extreme-khana is really just gymkhana where you go around a course as fast as you can, don't hit any cones, and do donuts when the course dictates it. Hill climb is basically rally on tarmac, in the mountains, with no co-driver. Adding to some weirdness like budget management and contracts, and it felt rather confusing instead of clearly progressing like in Dirt 4.

Did another mission in All Walls Must Fall. I think I'm halfway through the 12 mission campaign, and it's... interesting, as the gameplay is basically do something inside a Berlin night club, either through charm or violence. And let's just say, a shootout in a club, a la John Wick, is definitely interesting. As you are a time agent, you can go back a step or two and start over. And let's just say, I am having a blast figuring out what's possible and what not, and clearly, there will be even more time powers coming up later. The mission I just completed got me 18 kills, plus multiple drones.

Talked my way into the front-door, but somehow, the inside guard immediately went hostile. So I ducked back and hid behind the wall, and started to pick off one enemy at a time, which takes TWO shots with the pistol. And it only holds 6 rounds. Killed the guards and the spectres, and managed to take only 1 hit. There are more enemies, but they are either patrolling, or waiting in ambush in another room. So I went the other way. The main dance floor is blocked by a couple of security scanners, and I can't get close enough to hack them. So I went for the backdoor, and shoot my way inside. And from there, i was able to sneak my way onto the dance floors, dodge the guards, search all crates near the DJ booths. Getting out is a bit more challenging, as enemies tried to close the area by blocking both entrances with guards. Shot my way out of the rear door, but one guy got me bad with the SMG. Was able to get back to my vehicle without further confrontations.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Decided to go retro and startup Medal of Honor Pacific Assault. Had this like... FOREVER. Never did finish it. Actually managed to finish the Makin island mission, lots of die-retry moments. Given that the raid is August 17-18, total coincidence. :D
Spoiler:
There's one where you had to take out the tank... The trick is to remove all the soldiers, then sneak up behind it and put on the explosive. Then keeping everybody alive is a matter of getting on each tower and look down the road for anything you can shoot now.

Then it's a matter of shooting a few hostiles shooting at our wounded pilot, and the plane's about to blow, so you have to run in there, grab the guy, run back, then survive the human wave assault once you drop him.

Then it's a matter of survive the beach ambush, where you need to shoot all the guys assaulting you, kill the TWO mortar teams (turns out, one's in the rocks, and no, it wasn't a glitch),

Then had to find a soldier accidentally left behind, shoot more hostiles, grab the guy and dump him in the dinghy,

Throw grenades onto the beach as second wave shoot at you,

Then shoot down TWO Zeros with the BAR (before they blow your dinghys out of the water).

Then when you finally got on the sub, you have to run up to the conning tower and man the 50 against multiple torpedo planes. If they launch their torpedoes, you need to shoot them out of the water.

And finally, you can go home.
Total kills in that mission: 235?!

Historically, Japanese garrison on Makin island was 71. :) And there were no tanks. :D

Next mission: Guadalcanal.

Finished most of the fighting in Guadalcanal. Except this time, they threw in some fiction... The marine planes (they are somehow armed with BOTH 4 bombs AND a torpedo?!) had a rear gun, and we're going up as rear gunners. I shot down enough Zeros but my pilot jumped out when our tail took some damage. And I somehow CLIMBED into the cockpit and started flying this plane... Then attacked a SINGLE Japanese carrier with ONE destroyer as escort. :D Dropped four bombs on her deck AND put a torpedo into the destroyer. But can't survive the dogfight with like 5 Zeros playing cap. I actually shot down 3 or 4 of them, but somehow, I got hit hard a couple times, and kaboom! "Press Fire to load last savegame". I tried 5-7 times and decided enough is enough. Trainer, a cheat, or abandon ship.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

For those who pre-ordered, the THPS 1+2 “Warehouse” demo is out. It’s a blast, and the nostalgia is oh-so-real.

And yep, I’m still terrible at it. :lol:
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

I just bought Super Arcade Football because it reminded me of the 16-bit classic Sensible Soccer. I'm happy to report that the gameplay is indeed remarkably similar; it was genuinely shocking how transferable the skill set was (obviously I haven't played Sensi for decades but when I did I was THE KING at it).

I'm less happy to report that the game needs some serious fleshing out right now. Apparently they have an ambitious roadmap so we shall see, but currently you can play offline in a completely non-configurable match, or play online. That's it. No leagues, no options, no customisation of any kind. Here's hoping the devs keep working hard at it.

Totally worth the current asking price of a couple of quid though!
I no longer post here.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:39 pm For those who pre-ordered, the THPS 1+2 “Warehouse” demo is out. It’s a blast, and the nostalgia is oh-so-real.
I was going to say, "but I just bought THPS HD a few years ago", but... apparently that was 2012? Wasn't 2012 a few years ago?

That said, this is $70 CAD, and presumably $50 USD? Lmao what? Does it come with a sample of blood from Tony Hawk's skinned shin? I bought this game 20 years ago. And then again 8 years ago. (Yes, I know that's what people always whine until it's their favourite game that gets a presumably good remaster.)

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

not only do i have THPS 2 on Dreamcast, i somehow have two PC CD-ROM copies of it
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Sudy wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:38 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:39 pm For those who pre-ordered, the THPS 1+2 “Warehouse” demo is out. It’s a blast, and the nostalgia is oh-so-real.
I was going to say, "but I just bought THPS HD a few years ago", but... apparently that was 2012? Wasn't 2012 a few years ago?

That said, this is $70 CAD, and presumably $50 USD? Lmao what? Does it come with a sample of blood from Tony Hawk's skinned shin? I bought this game 20 years ago. And then again 8 years ago. (Yes, I know that's what people always whine until it's their favourite game that gets a presumably good remaster.)
I pre-ordered last week for $40 USD.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I finished MOH Pacific Assault. It's... okay. I finally did pass that fly boys mission without cheating. I did manage to shoot down all the Zeros, then I just avoided flying past the flak clouds by veering off. Strafed whatever I can. Eventually, both went kaput. Then I "landed" the plane. And that's that.

Decided to use a trainer to finish the Tarawa level. The BAR just isn't up to the task of sweeping enemies with a tiny magazine of 20 rounds. Then I had to hunt for a sniper rifle as the shotgun lacks reach.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Played it when new. Ive tried to go back to some of those old WW2 shooters but playing them now I find them bad.
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

I remember when MOH:AA came out and everyone was talking it up. I played the Omaha Beach level and just found it frustrating.

Meanwhile, I went back to Oblivion for shits and giggles and I'm shocked at how much I'm enjoying it.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Eel Snave wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:08 pm I remember when MOH:AA came out and everyone was talking it up. I played the Omaha Beach level and just found it frustrating.

Meanwhile, I went back to Oblivion for shits and giggles and I'm shocked at how much I'm enjoying it.
Oblivion is on PS Now, and I've felt the itch to revisit it. Unfortunately, every time I try and launch it, I just get kicked back to the PS Now dashboard.

I'm finding PS Now to generally be meh overall. The downloadable games work fine, but streaming is very hit and miss. For every two games you can launch and play, there's another one that you can't. The PC streaming end of it doesn't work very well either.

Overall, I doubt I'll renew next year.
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

I LOVE PS Now. I've been streaming PS3 and PS2 games for months now and I've barely had any disconnection issues. Dead Cells is on there, and I'm having a blast with that one.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Yeah I couldn't be happier with PS Now. It works perfectly for me (although I haven't tried it on PC). I don't download games and wouldn't use it to play something that requires precise timing, like a racing sim, but I've used it to play shitloads of games I wouldn't otherwise. Including some classics from the PS3 which I never had.

It's insane value for money.
I no longer post here.