Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: PC Gaming Randomness

Post by Daehawk »

I do that all the time. Im sitting on Xcom and a few others that I quit for a bit ...turned out months...and now have no idea where I am or what I would be doing. Ill have to start over. I'd do it with Darksiders 1 but damn I've done that twice already and I am not restarting that game again.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Why do game designers design a game for people with a 23" monitor or bigger when so many of use use laptops?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Holman

Post by Holman »

dbt1949 wrote:Why do game designers design a game for people with a 23" monitor or bigger when so many of use use laptops?
Let me guess... Paradox Interactive?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I was just watching the cutscenes from Heavenly Sword and that looks like one weird ass game. The way the scenes are though reminds me a bit of another games ive actually played called Enslaved.
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

I'm planning on trying Dark Souls for the first time this coming week since I'm finally on break from school. I'm thinking I might need to get one of them fancy game controllers.
No sig, must scream, etc.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Daehawk wrote:I was just watching the cutscenes from Heavenly Sword and that looks like one weird ass game. The way the scenes are though reminds me a bit of another games ive actually played called Enslaved.
Enslaved was Ninja Theory's follow up to Heavenly Sword.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The link to the article alone was good for a chuckle... :)

Online trolls are 'literally losers'
A new study has found that men who harass women online are actual losers - at least when it comes to video games. Two researchers analysed how men treated women while playing 163 games of Halo 3. Men who performed poorly in the games responded by being hostile to female players. The male winners were mostly pleasant to other players, while the losing men made unsavoury comments to female players.

"Low-status males that have the most to lose due to a hierarchical reconfiguration are responding to the threat female competitors pose," the researchers, from the University of New South Wales and the Miami University in Ohio, write. "High-status males with the least to fear were more positive."
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Max Peck wrote:The link to the article alone was good for a chuckle... :)

A new study has found that men who harass women online are actual losers - at least when it comes to video games. Two researchers analysed how men treated women while playing 163 games of Halo 3. Men who performed poorly in the games responded by being hostile to female players. The male winners were mostly pleasant to other players, while the losing men made unsavoury comments to female players.

"Low-status males that have the most to lose due to a hierarchical reconfiguration are responding to the threat female competitors pose," the researchers, from the University of New South Wales and the Miami University in Ohio, write. "High-status males with the least to fear were more positive."
Wanted to post that in the gamergate thread... it's kind of buried here.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Pyperkub wrote:
Max Peck wrote:The link to the article alone was good for a chuckle... :)

Wanted to post that in the gamergate thread... it's kind of buried here.
Please let that thread die.

That is good for a laugh though.

Of course, some of us are losers at games and still treat everyone else well. 8-)

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I got back into XCOM Enemy Within over the weekend and forgot how much I f$&%ing love this game. I suppose there's a reason I set it to my 'Favorite' on my Steam profile.

Currently running Normal/Non-Ironman, but I could be Ironman for how well I'm doing (I only load from the beginning of a mission if it goes completely sideways and I lose really good soldiers - I haven't had to do this once yet). Pumping out lots of satellites, I've lost one below-average Rookie, beaten a good number of missions with uninjured soldiers. Only one Gravely Injured (thanks to pushing for a Stun instead of a kill), and only one missed Meld canister. I'm on my third month and still fighting just Grays, Seekers, and Thin Men. I've got a few Second Wave options on to give random damage, random stats, and prolonged war - which has resulted in a handful of outstanding folks - the cream of the crop is a German Sniper that started with Good movement, natural Aim score of 80 (I think) and a high Will. He's a monster with natural 63 Will & 110 Aim now, and my first Major.

If I identify someone with low movement I rename them to "Shorty" or "Stubby" and schedule replacement. 6.5 (13) movement seems common for Rookies, but sometimes I get a 5.5 (11) - and I need people to be able to keep up. If I get someone who's slow and can't shoot (60 Aim or less), I toss them out the door. I've always imagined the XCOM project gets the best of the best of the best to choose from and I don't understand how flops like that get in.

Selling a lot of excess early on in the Market yields a lot of funding to accelerate things and stay well equipped. I was able to afford a couple extra satellites, facilities, soldiers, and equipment only because I'm running a lean shop at the beginning of the game. I may suffer a little later on, but not by much. I'm not worried if I can't make 20 fighter jet combat boosters instead of 5.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Just got X-Com TFTD. Still just as fun, still slaughtering rookies.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

dbt1949 wrote:Just got X-Com TFTD. Still just as fun, still slaughtering rookies.
I really hope they revisit that in another XCOM iteration. I really enjoyed it, except for hunting down that last crab in every mission.
Black Lives Matter

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Paingod wrote:
dbt1949 wrote:Just got X-Com TFTD. Still just as fun, still slaughtering rookies.
I really hope they revisit that in another XCOM iteration. I really enjoyed it, except for hunting down that last crab in every mission.
Yep. Outside of the silly premise and "physics" it was actually an improvement over the original. Mechanically anyway. That said, there is something to the simplicity of the first that is timeless. The design seems tighter and more focused, I think. The second was a bit more sprawling and less defined.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Daehawk wrote:Im tempted to replay all three Mass Effects games. Somebody talk me out of it. I really just want to play the first one again but I know me and when me plays the first game that has sequels I always end up playing through them all again.
Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thanks PG...I thought there was a randomness thread for PC just couldn't find it.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

... and to avoid Mass Effect, just remember the complete anticlimax at the end and the horrible controls on the surface vehicle. I only played through the first two and skipped the third because of the ending fiasco. I don't know if I'd have the stomach to play through again.
Black Lives Matter

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Paingod wrote:... and to avoid Mass Effect, just remember the complete anticlimax at the end and the horrible controls on the surface vehicle. I only played through the first two and skipped the third because of the ending fiasco. I don't know if I'd have the stomach to play through again.
The original ending for ME3 was disappointing (although definitely not the crime against humanity that the trolls made it out to be), but the game itself was great. I didn't much like the Mako myself, but iirc it is only used in ME1 and mostly (only?) for optional side missions.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Max Peck wrote:
Paingod wrote:... and to avoid Mass Effect, just remember the complete anticlimax at the end and the horrible controls on the surface vehicle. I only played through the first two and skipped the third because of the ending fiasco. I don't know if I'd have the stomach to play through again.
The original ending for ME3 was disappointing (although definitely not the crime against humanity that the trolls made it out to be), but the game itself was great. I didn't much like the Mako myself, but iirc it is only used in ME1 and mostly (only?) for optional side missions.
I didn't think the ending for ME3 was that bad, and they've basically redone it completely, from what I understand. The rest of the game - outside of that last 5-10 minutes - was an absolute blast.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I really hated the ending of 3. But I also loved the Mako stuff. I just looked at it as if the planets and moons I was on had very low gravity. I loved the mining of 2 because it reminded me of Starflight and Star Control 2...but it wore me down after a while and I got really tired of it. I did love reading each planet's description though . Finding the planet with the huge scar on it after being hit by something many thousands of years ago and then to actually find that weapon later in space was amazingly cool. I hope the new game can equal all that was good in the first three. I may replay them since the announcement of the 4th game. I think it would be my 4th play through of the first two games and 2nd of the last one.
Last edited by Daehawk on Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The endings (I played after the extended were released) weren't amazing, but weren't awful, either. They ended the story, they wrapped up the threads. To avoid 40 hours of great game because of five minutes doesn't make sense to me.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I replayed the ME series a couple months ago and the Mako didn't seem nearly so bad. The planet scanning is much worse. Also there is a DLC you can Dl'd that changes the ending.

I think I need to cut back on my Dark Souls 2 playing. I am dreaming about Dark Souls now. :roll:
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I'm not sure why, but I never really got into ME. I think I'm about 1/3 into ME and got horribly bored. I guess it gets better from there on.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Kasey Chang wrote:I'm not sure why, but I never really got into ME. I think I'm about 1/3 into ME and got horribly bored. I guess it gets better from there on.

It is very character driven and so, while the game play stays the same, there seem to be more interesting parts and dialogue based on who you are playing with and whose story line you are playing. In ME 1 that stuff is just developing. As the game advances there is more and more of it. You also start having to make decisions that have consequences.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I think I'm in the minority because I really liked the combat in ME 1, so that's fun and entertaining in itself. And then the rest is almost purely story driven. So there is combat, and story. If you (universal you) don't like the combat and aren't into the story, there isn't much left. The skill trees are pretty basic (and mostly combat centric) and the equipment isn't enough to keep you entertained playing dress up either.

I quite like ME, even though I've never finished it, although I've tried twice. The second time was a major push and I still can't believe I didn't make it to the end before getting distracted by something shiny.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

GreenGoo wrote:If you (universal you) don't like the combat and aren't into the story, there isn't much left.
The lore and the setting. They did a great job of creating a coherent universe and then making you feel like you were a part of it. That, by itself, was a big draw for me.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Blackhawk wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:If you (universal you) don't like the combat and aren't into the story, there isn't much left.
The lore and the setting. They did a great job of creating a coherent universe and then making you feel like you were a part of it. That, by itself, was a big draw for me.
Agreed.

But I did like the combat as well.
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Do you ever suddenly get a sick feeling in the pit of your stomach? Like, say, when you realize that Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri has been re-released, but you didn't hear about and might have gone to your grave without ever knowing?

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If only there were a way to get announcements.
:P
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I see my original copy from here. It was such a great game. I remember the reflections in the lakes of the mountains. Kinda chopped a bit there but otherwise was amazing.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I remember it quite well. I wrote an FAQ on it. ;)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

I loved it but had to lie to buy it. :shhh:

One of the first games I recall that "required" a Pentium and the clerk asked me at checkout if I had one. "Umm... of course!". Sadly, no, only a 486 DX2/66 from what I recall. Ran just fine until the last few missions where it stuttered / slideshow'd so badly for me I had to quit. Went back to it years later... and may do so again now that GOG has it even though my original copy is somewhere down in the basement labyrinth.
-mf
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Stayed up too late waiting for the Hungarian King to die.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Archinerd wrote:Stayed up too late waiting for the Hungarian King to die.
CK2?

Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Max Peck wrote:
Archinerd wrote:Stayed up too late waiting for the Hungarian King to die.
CK2?
Yep.
And in case you are curious, my plot ended in failure and lead to a war, which I lost. My character is now rotting in prison.
I need to get myself out soon as I'm an old man (53 yo). The good news is I DO have a very good heir with heirs of his own already.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

o-/ Give me a head (of state) with heirs. /-o
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well I think Ive lost my mind..again. I just reinstalled Dragon Age Inquisitor yesterday because I barely touched it the first go when it was new. But now Im considering all the Mass Effects and KOTOR games or something else like replays of Quake 2 and Quake 4 along with Duke Nukem 3D. Can you tell I LOVE the 90's?? Ive installed some little games like Prison Architect and such. But I have huge games I am WAY into but just stopped .....Mad Max, Dying Light, Batman Origins, Wolfenstein Old Blood, GTA V, RYSE Son of Rome, Crysis 3, AssCreed Black Flag. Then of course I have 2 MMOs in here Wildstar and SWTOR.

Im thinking maybe I should just delete it all to nothing.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: But now Im considering all the Mass Effects and KOTOR games or something else like replays of Quake 2 and Quake 4 along with Duke Nukem 3D. Can you tell I LOVE the 90's??
Given that you listed 8 games, only 2 of which were from the 90s, no. ;)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ended up installing and playing DA Inquisition all day.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm organizing my master games list (all my games owned, whether played, finished, or backlogged.) I'm adding a note on those that particularly interest me to sort them from those that do not (Universal Combat stands out.) Which to play, assuming that I only wante:

Tropico 3 or Tropico 4?
Sniper Elite or Sniper Elite V2?
Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War, Winter Assault, or Dawn of War 2?