Kickstarter: StoneHearth . Minecraft + Strategy

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Matrix

Re: Kickstarter: StoneHearth . Minecraft + Strategy

Post by Matrix »

I ended up upping mine to 30, since beta will be coming out 9 month earlier. And from what i remember about mine craft, beta was pretty good already. Will figure out what to do with second digital copy later on.
fenris

Post by fenris »

I supported it, my first kickstarter support ever!
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

I've been playing around with Qubicle Constructor, which is the tool that RadEnt uses to develop the 3D voxel art assets for StoneHearth. There's a free version and it's pretty fun to play with. Below is my first effort. The banner on the right with the skulls is a goblin banner that I reproduced from a dev screenshot. The green one is a variant. I can see how modding for this game will be a lot of fun.

"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

ColdSteel wrote:I've been playing around with Qubicle Constructor, which is the tool that RadEnt uses to develop the 3D voxel art assets for StoneHearth. There's a free version and it's pretty fun to play with. Below is my first effort. The banner on the right with the skulls is a goblin banner that I reproduced from a dev screenshot. The green one is a variant. I can see how modding for this game will be a lot of fun.

Very nice ColdSteel. The green one looks rather elvish, just the sort of thing the cat in your avatar would be using!!!

ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

ydejin wrote:Very nice ColdSteel. The green one looks rather elvish, just the sort of thing the cat in your avatar would be using!!!
:D Yeah, I think that kitten looks like a little elven ranger. By the way, the devs mentioned in one of their streams that they would love to add elves to the game as a playable race down the line. They talked some about them living in trees and the build mechanics being way different from humans and dwarves. Like maybe morphing living trees into homes and buildings. Sounded interesting.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

ColdSteel wrote:
ydejin wrote:Very nice ColdSteel. The green one looks rather elvish, just the sort of thing the cat in your avatar would be using!!!
:D Yeah, I think that kitten looks like a little elven ranger. By the way, the devs mentioned in one of their streams that they would love to add elves to the game as a playable race down the line. They talked some about them living in trees and the build mechanics being way different from humans and dwarves. Like maybe morphing living trees into homes and buildings. Sounded interesting.
That sounds awesome!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Just got notice of the Alpha of this scheduled to be released on the 30th. :horse:
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Looks like they also announced that you can claim your key now on the humble bundle site in preparation for release. Directions are here:
http://stonehearth.net/" target="_blank
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I grabbed the alpha, but had a lot of problems doing anything with it. So I'm going to try it again later, after a reboot.

And now, after that glowing review, along with the alpha they gave me a key to give away to someone. Anyone interested? :)
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Needed to increase to fullscreen. i was missing most of the controls I needed, plus the clicking spots were off.

Playing around with it now. Made a couple of mistakes already...they don't give you many hints to get going.
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

hentzau wrote:Needed to increase to fullscreen. i was missing most of the controls I needed, plus the clicking spots were off.

Playing around with it now. Made a couple of mistakes already...they don't give you many hints to get going.
I was definitely confused on how to control harvesting. I thought you needed to click on a person and then on a resource or maybe the other way around. However, after playing around with it, apparently you just mark trees for chopping or berries for harvest and you don't bother to tell who is supposed to do it and the workers sort it out amongst themselves. It also took me a while to figure out the "clock". But it probably doesn't make sense for them to waste any time on writing tutorials or manuals at this point.

It's definitely very cute, but there's virtually no game play at this point. I wasn't expecting the firepit and thought that was rather charming. The flame effect is very nice!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Just goofing around with it, (that's what you use a day off of work for, right?) and I can see where it will be fun. Had a couple of crashes, and apparently there's no way to save it yet?
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

hentzau wrote:Just goofing around with it, (that's what you use a day off of work for, right?) and I can see where it will be fun. Had a couple of crashes, and apparently there's no way to save it yet?
Correct, no way to save yet.

Here's their development road map with items listed in priority order. Saving is next up on tech and engine. Although they said that the most important item now is actually combing through bug and crash reports and squashing bugs that folks find in the Alpha.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I'm greedy enough to say I'll take that key if you still have it Hentzau.
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

I would absolutely love to check this out if there are any keys floating around. :D
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Madmarcus, I'll PM you the key when I can get back online. My laptop can't abide my folks wifi router.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

No worries.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Just thought I'd mention that this is starting to take shape finally.

I played a week ago or so and there was a good amount of content in. You can make a basic town, there are working masons, woodworkers, tailors, and footmen now in the game along with mining, goblin raiders, and basic combat. There's also a new alpha 8 that dropped today adding the blacksmith along with underground metals, party combat, and a daily quest that if completed will give you a new citizen.

They still have a good distance to go, but it's really starting to feel like a game. They are saying they are on track now to deliver significant patch each month for the next 5 months and that should put them within striking distance of beta.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

I really like the direction they are going with it. I spend an hour or two with it several times a week.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

I'm really looking forward to Alpha 9, which Tom (one of the developers) says is is focusing on:
  • World content (make the world itself a more interesting place)
  • The Archer
The rumor mill says that Alpha 9 will be adding Goblin camps to the surrounding area.

For me the most important thing the game was lacking when I played it last Autumn was a driving force pushing you to really develop. At that point it was SimCity minus the disasters. So making Goblins more of a threat would certainly help.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

I'm pretty sure they plan on lots of monsters.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Well this finally limped out of EA recently. It's got about 90% of what was promised in the kickstarter, but it's missing a few big stretch goals like other dimensions and playable dwarves. They did get coop multiplayer in however, and as far as I'm aware this is the only DF-like with coop play if that's your thing.

I played a bit last night, and it seems like they finally got a lot of the technical issues worked out, and the final UI is quite good at letting you build cool buildings, but the campaign is just a series of missions that popup and enemies that spawn and doesn't really have the limitless feeling of other games in the genre. Also some reports of poor performance when your town gets bigger, but I haven't got that far yet.

It's not a bad game, but it certainly feels less than what it could have been, and nothing approaching the level of Rimworld or Dwarf Fortress. The devs made a post that at least owned their mistakes and pointed to games of this nature being far more complicated than they thought starting out and the mistake of trying to write their own engine. Trying to write your own engine with a 15 man dev team in this day and age is pretty stupid quite honestly.

Similar with what happened to Clockwork Empires, but the final product here is much better than the buggy mess that CE eventually became.