If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Vorret

Papers, Please

Post by Vorret »

That looks....... interesting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... rTJzrXQVLU" target="_blank
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
Lordnine

Re: Papers, Please

Post by Lordnine »

I finished the beta demo last night. It's very good. I wish they had gone for higher quality visuals but it kind of fits for the oppressive tone of the game.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I've been slowly getting sucked in. My biggest beef is that interface is sometimes counterintuitive, or it fights me when I want to do something, so I don't process enough visas each day to keep my family from dying off.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Holman

Post by Holman »

tgb wrote:I've been slowly getting sucked in. My biggest beef is that interface is sometimes counterintuitive, or it fights me when I want to do something, so I don't process enough visas each day to keep my family from dying off.
Welcome to Glorious Worker's Paradise, Comrade!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The UI does suck at times. Like right now I dont know what countries are banned..im just in round 3 or 4...it doesn't show any issuing countries as being banned yet it gives me a penelty for letting some in from certain countries. theres a couple other items I dont know how to tell what about and am getting my money taken from me. My family is starving and sick.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

The UI is designed that way on purpose. It’s supposed to be difficult. The tension comes from the fact that you need to check every little piece of information but you also have to hurry people through the checkpoint if you want to earn enough money to keep your family alive.

Always check your rule book at the start of a new day. It always tells you a days requirements. It’s in your best interest to always keep it open anyways since if you spot a violation that is how you tag people with it. Towards the end of the demo you need to keep track of about 8 pieces of information.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Very addicting ...I cant stop playing. I can tell you why I find it so cool.....it's totally different. It's something I imagine trying and I get to play it. Ive not done this in real life. A big publisher would never make this. Back pre 1995 there were tons of strange and different games out there...from treasure hunter to food cook. Almost anything in the real world was made into a game. Now they dont want to waste cash on such mundane stuff. But to me these type games are great. One of my favorites is that underwater treasure hunting game. I miss different. This scratches that itch. I feel as the big bad heavy with people's lives in my hands with the state backing me up.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

I find this game very dark and upsetting, which is awesome. More of this please.
kind of like a cloud I was up way up in the sky and I was feeling some feelings that I couldn't believe; sometimes I don't believe them myself but I decided I was never coming down
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Vorret wrote:That looks....... interesting

Wow, that video completely won me over. What a novel concept. Downloading immediately.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Man, what a tease. Can't wait for him to finish this up, day 1 buy.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

wonderpug wrote:
Vorret wrote:That looks....... interesting
Wow, that video completely won me over. What a novel concept. Downloading immediately.
Got me as well, fascinating idea.

UPDATE: and I entered the mailing list and since he had fewer female than male names, I submitted:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Played this for 90 minutes. This game has that "one more day" feel. It's a real oddball of a game, as it's imperative that you work fast, yet accurate. Soon you'll have memorized which cities in which countries are valid and which are not (or have printed it out and pasted it next to the monitor), and such shortcuts. It's also cute that the game keeps complicating your life with special requirements each day. Add the serious plots and the comedy relief and you got a true "indie" cult hit.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Kasey Chang wrote:Played this for 90 minutes. This game has that "one more day" feel. It's a real oddball of a game, as it's imperative that you work fast, yet accurate. Soon you'll have memorized which cities in which countries are valid and which are not (or have printed it out and pasted it next to the monitor), and such shortcuts. It's also cute that the game keeps complicating your life with special requirements each day. Add the serious plots and the comedy relief and you got a true "indie" cult hit.
I did the old "print out and paste to the monitor", but somewhere (I can't remember where) I got a cheat sheet of stamps. If you want one it's now available from the Papers Please Wiki.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I'll just keep that open on the 2nd monitor. :D
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

I am loving this game. I guess because I have to pay attention to little details at my real life job, I am quick enough to notice most of the discrepancies and I only flub when I try to process too quickly. Or the issuing cities. That one gets me every time. I guess I can learn to memorize which ones are actually correct. Eventually.

Also, having to find stuff in the rule book when I want to question takes more time than I like. But I am still having lots of fun.

Takes me back to my youth, when all games looked like this on my Atari and Amiga.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Wow, this game is hard and yet fun!

Took me a while to figure out how some of the money works, but things were much easier when it was just down to me and my wife. I tried hard to be accurate and still had 17 citations out of 129 entry requests. It took me 2:16 to get to Ending 4 of 20 - an ending that was not...desirable. :)

Very fun.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

For those who haven't picked up this game, here's a chance to get a slightly more expensive version, the Gamer's Edition
The multi-award-winning Papers, Please has enabled thousands to face the surprisingly compelling challenges of being an immigration officer in a grim 1980s totalitarian state. Now, you can do it in person with this custom-made immigration officer kit developed by Gamer’s Edition and Papers, Please creator Lucas Pope. Modelled on the kit you would receive on that fateful day when your name is pulled in the Labor Lottery, the custom suitcase packaging contains everything you need to roll up in East Grestin and start denying people entry.

The most important components are, of course, the approved and denied stamps, and the complete bound rulebook listing all the many reasons to use the latter. There’s a set of documentation to use it on, some all-new stamps from the glorious nation of Arstotzka, and a motivational Arstotzkan poster to decorate your booth and keep your national pride high. Plus, you can demonstrate your honorable position with an official Inspector pin badge, and open the door to your Class 8 dwelling using an official Labor Lottery keyring.

This is a one-off compilation that will never be offered again, so grab one while you can.
What's in the box?

Papers, Please Steam key
Labor Lottery keyring
Arstotzkan passport & paperwork set
Set of Arstotzkan stamps
Glory to Arstotzka poster
Department of Labor suitcase
Approved stamp, Denied stamp & Ink pad
Inspector’s pin badge
Arstotzkan Immigration Rule Book
There is also a Hotline Miami edition
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And for those who still might be checking this thread, Papers, Please - The Short Film has been released. Check it out, it's free!