Scrolls (CCG/Tactics by Mojang)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Sudy

Scrolls (CCG/Tactics by Mojang)

Post by Sudy »

Mojang's Scrolls entered paid beta on Monday. I searched for a thread, but couldn't unearth anything. $20 gets you all future updates. There are entirely optional microtransactions (speed up the acquisition of new cards/decks, etc.).

I don't have a lot of experience with CCGs, but I imagine that it will be familiar to anyone who is. The action plays out on a King's Bounty-like grid, with the goal being to destroy 3 of your opponent's 5 idols. In this sense, it's very much like a two-player Plants vs. Zombies (though obviously turn-based and tactical).

I'm definitely getting my money's worth out of it. I've yet to uncover how much depth there is. I wouldn't say it's obviously a beta, but I don't doubt it could be better tuned and tightened. I've encountered few bugs outside of one relating to Avast that kept me from logging in (you need to disable web shield, or add an exception for the Scrolls .exe). Hopping into multiplayer matches is quick and painless.

Launch trailer.
Preconfigured deck introduction.

Anyone else playing? My handle is Khronophor. Though I'm not sure how you hook up in game yet....

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Baroquen

Re: Scrolls (CCG/Tactics by Mojang)

Post by Baroquen »

Forgot about this one going live this week. Will definitely be looking into to this one too. Looking forward to more impressions from OOers.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Very interested in this. Please keep us posted on how the game is.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I've played about 5 matches versus the CPU now, 10 trials, and about 5 matches versus other players. I'm really enjoying myself; it's a great game to play in bursts. 2-4 matches here and there. Several matches with a few wins is generally enough to generate enough gold to buy a 10-scroll pack from the store, which includes 7 commons, 2 uncommons, and 1 rare from among the three resource types. (A fourth resource, Decay, is in the works.)

I picked the Growth resource preconfigured deck. It's kind of a "vikings and wolves" theme with heals and nature enchancements. After getting past some initial difficulties fighting Order opponents (the "spiky" units that damage you when attacked are brutal, and their units have great late-game synergy), I'm happy with my choice. You can purchase the other precon decks for 6500 gold or about $5.00 in pay currency ("shards"), but that's a lot of gold. I think I may just keep on buying the 10-scroll packs until I can build my own Order and Energy decks. Buying the packs or individual scrolls has the added benefit of allowing you to sell back unwanted ones (25 gold for commons, 50 for uncommons, and 75 (?) for rares). You can't sell cards from precon decks.

Blinky's Top 5 Scrolls Tips (Blinky is currently the top-ranked player.) Be sure to check the articles/posts in the video's description. Once you have enough new scrolls to start building your own deck, you may also want to check out this guide by Sysp: link.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

So this has a PvE component? Interest rising. I loved the old MtG Microprose single player PC game. If this is anything like that then I'm very interested. The last thing I want to have to do is play matches with 13 year olds that rage quit as soon as they see they're going to lose a match.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Yes, but I think you'll find yourself somewhat disappointed with it. The game is designed with multiplayer in mind. There are 15 "trials", which are specific scenarios with the odds often stacked in the AI's favour, that require either skill or good luck to win. They yield a decent gold bonus, but I'd imagine they only pay out the first time you beat them. You can play an unlimited number of matches against the AI on three difficulty levels, and they do yield gold. I'm not sure how much in comparison to PvP matches though, and I don't know how enjoyable the AI would be long term (I'm not saying it's bad; I just don't know and haven't heard any opinions).

PvP-wise, you can play in a "quick match" (i.e. unranked), a ranked match, or a tournament (this option isn't available so far; I'm not sure what form they'll take--developer or player created events, or both). I haven't played any rage-quitters so far. Though I believe you do get partial gold for your opponent surrendering, at least if it's not the beginning of the game. If you know you're beat, it may actually be advantageous to surrender to save both players time. You lose out on some minimal gold bonuses for actually destroying your opponent's idols, but the time investment saved fighting it out to the bitter end is probably best used getting into a new match, anyway.

msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Can you trade, sell, or win cards?
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Trade and sell, yes (you can both sell back to the store, and to other players). Win, not that I'm aware of.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

So according to my stats, I've now played 47 games, winning 32. Bear in mind, wins include games against the AI and completed trials. In PvP games I'd imagine I win about 65% of the time. Playing to get gold to buy more scrolls is addictive.

At present time, there are 5,000+ players online. Don't think I've ever seen less than 2,000. So there's always someone to play. Amazing, almost 27,000 people online in the past 24 hours, the welcome screen says. According to my profile, I'm ranked 1660th overall, any my rating is 1081, whatever that means. Ratings points are awarded when you win; usually seems to be a little under 100 per game. My guess is they take your rating compared to your opponent into account and add or subtract some points, but I'm not sure.

I have yet to accumulate enough scrolls to build a deck out of one of the other resource types, but am definitely excited to do so after seeing them used in matches. It's possible to build a multi-resource deck, and I toyed with one for a game or two, but it doesn't seem worthwhile, since you're splitting your focus. There are ways to reduce this if you have the right cards, though. And there are synergies between some cards of different resource types, so experimentation would seem to be encouraged.

I'm still really enjoying it, and think about it while I'm not playing. It's not a game you can binge on, though. I usually go 2-3 matches before taking a break, and then coming back to it after watching some TV or doing a chore.

TotalBiscuit now has a WTF is...? video out if you enjoy him.

Zarni

Post by Zarni »

I'm playing this and so far very fun! I went with Growth and plan on eventually getting the other two starter decks.
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

I'm interested in this game, but I think it is overpriced for what it is. Seems greedy to ask for $20 + in-game purchases. Plus, since this is Mojang, I wonder if they are going to be raising the price over time, like they did with Minecraft.
kganey

Post by kganey »

Sudy Nym wrote:So according to my stats, I've now played 47 games, winning 32. Bear in mind, wins include games against the AI and completed trials. In PvP games I'd imagine I win about 65% of the time. Playing to get gold to buy more scrolls is addictive.
How many scrolls are there? The only list I've been able to find online has the number as a little over 100. With such a small number of scrolls split over three different schools, I keep thinking that the game would start to feel repetitive.

So, do you see the same patterns and strategies again and again?
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Butterknife wrote:I'm interested in this game, but I think it is overpriced for what it is. Seems greedy to ask for $20 + in-game purchases. Plus, since this is Mojang, I wonder if they are going to be raising the price over time, like they did with Minecraft.
I agree that I can't see paying over $20 for it, but the micro-transactions don't bother me. I had the same thought as you initially, but so far at least, you're quite limited in what you can do with the pay currency. You can use it to buy the other precon decks, cosmetic upgrades for your avatar, or to buy the random 6 identified scrolls that appear to you weekly. But buying the standard scroll packs requires in-game gold, and there's no way to buy it.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

kganey wrote:How many scrolls are there? The only list I've been able to find online has the number as a little over 100. With such a small number of scrolls split over three different schools, I keep thinking that the game would start to feel repetitive.

So, do you see the same patterns and strategies again and again?
It's hard for me to say at this point. I do share the concern that the freshness won't remain for long, but as it is still beta, I expect that new cards will be released regularly (not to mention the upcoming fourth resource/deck type). I think of it like the launch of a real CCG; there are limited cards/strategies right now, but "expansions" are right around the corner.

That said, there's still a fair bit of customizing to be done. With minimum 50-card decks and a limit of 3 cards of one kind per deck, I already have to make tough choices on what to exclude when I'm building my deck.

Being able to use multiple resources in one deck opens things way up, but the word is that these decks rarely do well against well-built single-resource decks, unfortunately.

Stuie

Post by Stuie »

Loving this so far... though it is early days and we'll see if they can keep it fresh in the same way other CCGs do.

I now have enough gold to buy another precon deck, but I'm not sure if that's the way to go. I think I might rather buy the 10-scroll packs, improve the deck I have and eventually build a second deck myself. Or do the hybrid thing if I can get it to work. The in-game purchase thing really isn't bad; you earn enough in the "trials" and just by playing to buy additional cards.

One thing bothering me (and I know this is beta) is that I know they are adding a "Decay" deck as a fourth option, but will they stop there? I guess I'd like to know the vision as far as what does a complete first set of scrolls look like, and then what happens going forward - how often will new sets/cards be released? Will additional types be added beyond Growth/Order/Energy/Decay? I could see something along the lines of "Spirit" fitting in really well.

I'll keep having fun with what we've got for now... just curious about the direction this is going.
Zarni

Post by Zarni »

I'm still having fun playing and I did buy shards to get the other two pre-configured decks. I try to save my gold for the 10 packs to get Rares and Uncommons. I didn't feel the need to buy shards, I just figured "what the hell" since I played Minecraft for months on end over two years I have faith that this game will continue to be improved and have content added.

I also signed up for the Hunter CCG beta and that looks cool too. There is a thread on it if you are interested.

This game is supposed to be $30 when released. I have run through enough trials to buy several packs of 10, I have accumulated enough cards to be able to win more often than I lose with Growth. I have yet to try real people with the other two decks since I am enjoying my growth deck and I have not done the ranked match yet.

I know many people talk about keeping your deck to 50 cards, but I find that 60 works better for me. I like a larger range of options when I play and 50 is too limiting to me.

Zarni
kganey

Post by kganey »

Sudy Nym wrote:I expect that new cards will be released regularly (not to mention the upcoming fourth resource/deck type). I think of it like the launch of a real CCG; there are limited cards/strategies right now, but "expansions" are right around the corner.
You're right. They just added three scrolls yesterday.

I ended up getting the game and I must say it feels very well balanced. Almost too well balanced - my games seem to turn on who gets the better draws.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I thought I'd gotten tired of it, but then found myself playing a good 20 games over the past couple of days. I seem to be experiencing a run of bad luck. Or perhaps the community has just matured and more people know how to play now?

Still a great game and worth the $20. I wish it was updated more frequently though. (I'm not saying it's not updated often enough, just that new cards and features add to my excitement.) I'm starting to think it desperately needs the proposed (but not confirmed) auction house. As we get closer to completing our card sets, buying backs will be a lottery for the few we don't have. It will probably be better to just buy them. Though doing this through the chat channels is annoying and time consuming.

Stuie

Post by Stuie »

Mojang is giving everyone who owns the game a free key to give away....

Anyone want one? PM me your email addy.

EDIT: Claimed by andon, with apologies to Stimpy who PM'd five minutes later. Merry Christmas!
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I saw that they were doing this, but don't recall get a key to give away. How did they do this? Email? Or do I have a key waiting for me somehow in-game or on a site or something?
Malacheye

Post by Malacheye »

Heck, ill try it if the key is burning a hole in someone's pocket
andon

Post by andon »

Thanks Stuie,

I will be sure to check it out during the holidays. Love me some CCG goodness.
Xbox 360 Gamertag: AndonDN
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Stuie wrote:Mojang is giving everyone who owns the game a free key to give away....

Anyone want one? PM me your email addy.

EDIT: Claimed by andon, with apologies to Stimpy who PM'd five minutes later. Merry Christmas!
No apologies necessary. Thanks for putting it out there.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Still need one stimpy? I should have one available. I'll confirm and send it your way later today if so. Malachye has next dibs if you've got one already.

And Baroquen, not positive. Try Mojang's site? I'm at work ATM. But RPS mentioned it the other day.

Angnomander

Post by Angnomander »

I have one to give away. PM an address if you'd use it.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I've got mine too. PM me with email addy to get it.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

My code's been sent. If anyone has a code remaining, I know there are some other OOers who'd like to try the game.
Malacheye

Post by Malacheye »

I'm still looking to try if anyone still has a code
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I never got an email from Sudy Nym, so if a key becomes available, I'd give it a good home.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
SlapBone

Post by SlapBone »

stimpy wrote:I never got an email from Sudy Nym, so if a key becomes available, I'd give it a good home.
Me 3
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

stimpy wrote:I never got an email from Sudy Nym, so if a key becomes available, I'd give it a good home.
I'm really sorry, can you check now? I didn't see your PM till just now. I've tried sending the gift code again.

stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Sudy Nym wrote:
I'm really sorry, can you check now? I didn't see your PM till just now. I've tried sending the gift code again.
No need to apologize. I did get it this time.
So thank you!!!
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Crap... I already punched Notch in the throat. I think he's on the phone with his lawyer. I'm so screwed....

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I guess when you make a couple of billion dollars overnight, you can drop the price on your other game to to $5.
Our current price of $21 isn’t feasible for tablets. As you probably already know, games are cheap on those things. Free-to-play would be an option, but we’re not keen on the way that that form of monetisation can affect gameplay.

After taking these points into consideration, we’ve decided to implement the following price changes once the game is released this Autumn:

The price will be lowered to $5, or equivalent in your currency.
Existing customers will be given the $20 shard package at no additional cost.
We will feature full cross-platform play. PC, Mac, and tablet players will face off against each other in a digital battle royale! Your scrolls collection will be consistent across platforms.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Caller's Bane
Hello Scrolldiers,

It's time! We're releasing the game for free, for anyone to enjoy. The team's been working towards this behind the scenes for a long time now. I'm thrilled we're finally here! To those of you who've waited patiently for this, thanks. You're the best. <3

Ah, but hold on. We've got a new name - "Caller's Bane". I'm sure there's a good reason for it. Perhaps we just didn't like the sound of "Scrolls". Either way, it's still the same game you've known and loved.
It's almost as if people are the problem.