Wildstar (New MMO)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

miltonite

Wildstar (New MMO)

Post by miltonite »

NCsoft, the makers of Guild Wars, Aion and Lineage are working on a new MMO called Wildstar.

You can sign up for the beta now but I think they are currently in friends and family beta. I went ahead and signed up for it. It appears to be cell shaded therefore has a bit of a cartoony look to it. I am also not sure of the paymet plan they are going to go with whether it will be FTP, subs or one time purchase. I guess we will see when they start releasing more details.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
Daehawk

Re: Wildstar (New MMO)

Post by Daehawk »

Been waiting on it forever it seems.

Here is our original old thread.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=79192&p=1967946&hil ... r#p1744677" target="_blank

Still not seeing a difference in the Humans and Cassians.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

More dev videos..Aiming, paths, movement, and housing.

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/media ... eak_aiming" target="_blank
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Daehawk wrote:Been waiting on it forever it seems.

Here is our original old thread.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=79192&p=1967946&hil ... r#p1744677" target="_blank

Still not seeing a difference in the Humans and Cassians.
Cassians ARE humans, they are just the imperial humans that were chosen by the <insert ancient precursor race name here> to rule the cosmos with an iron fist. The other humans are rebels. Or did you not understand the difference between the Rebels and the Empire in Star Wars too? :P
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The other humans are rebels. Or did you not understand the difference between the Rebels and the Empire in Star Wars too? :P
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

WOOHOO! I got a key for this weekends beta for all.

You guys can get one too...

http://na.alienwarearena.com/giveaways/ ... y-giveaway
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I played in the last beta weekend and I wasn't impressed. My friends tell me it gets better once you get past the newbie areas and get to crafting and housing and more character customization, but everything is just over the top on presentation and I guess I am too old for that or something.

"Double Kill", "Triple Kill", "Holy shit, you levelled up!"

Seriously.

The graphics are just a blur of bright colors. It looks like chaos.

The combat is actually kind of interesting as it's pretty active. There is no autoattack and positioning is everything.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I played around with it today for a little bit. I like the humor, classes seem fairly interesting and the art style is pleasant enough. The combat feels like a slight step up from Guild Wars 2 but isn’t going to set the world on fire. Most quests seem like standard WoW fare but they may get more interesting later on. I did like that “Profession” quest seem pretty unique.

On the plus side, the game let me play as an evil pink bunny/cat thing.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Played a little undead engineer till I got off the ship then made a human esper..but Im stuck trying to load that character in...gonna have to kill the process I think and try again.

Welp cant get back in..just sits there at the screen with the ship and planet and never loads my character...get sick of the music and end it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Lordnine wrote:I played around with it today for a little bit. I like the humor, classes seem fairly interesting and the art style is pleasant enough. The combat feels like a slight step up from Guild Wars 2 but isn’t going to set the world on fire. Most quests seem like standard WoW fare but they may get more interesting later on. I did like that “Profession” quest seem pretty unique.

On the plus side, the game let me play as an evil pink bunny/cat thing.

I may have misunderstood what this game is about. What the hell are you doing to that yellow guy? Is there a tentacle raid?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

The lady told me to interrogate it! I was only doing what I was told!
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

This is going to sound silly, but the moment I found out you could double jump I decided to preorder. The exploration bits will at least give me a month of fun. I hope the make the controls a little more responsive, but it's at least a world better than doing jumping puzzles in Guild Wars 2.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm a little torn on this one after playing the beta last night.

It's basically World of Warcraft in space with a western theme, if that makes any sense. That means the mechanics and presentation are very solid. Unfortunately, it's nothing we haven't seen before. If you love WoW but want something new, I can see how you'd be all over this. If you're tired of the same old MMOs though, I think this might give you some serious deja vu.

The active combat system does offer a little bit of a change, and to me felt better implemented than GW2. What I mean by that is that in GW2 I never really felt like my dodges were really doing anything, whereas in this I can see that I actually have to aim my pistols to hit anything, and I can see the attacks I'm dodging.

I'm not a huge fan of cartoony MMOs, but I'm not ready to dismiss this one out of hand. I'd like to get out in the open world and out of the n00b area to get a better sense of the game. My biggest hesitation is getting back into a subscription-based MMO. I just don't have the time for them anymore, and it seems like the past few I've jumped into I've shelved after a month.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

It's basically World of Warcraft in space
.........thats how I always describe it to friends.

I played all night last night making new character classes and getting them to the planet. Ive decided I like the stalker best then engineer and finally the warrior.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Seen gameplay of this and It reminds me a lot of Allods Online, which also has a mix of fantasy and sci-fi elements.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Yay I got a beta key for this weekend!

Beta Key for U.S. Servers: null

WTF?

:evil:
There is no hug button. Sad!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

killbot737 wrote:Yay I got a beta key for this weekend!

Beta Key for U.S. Servers: null

WTF?

:evil:
The Beta weekend just ended, unfortunately. Are you sure it wasn't a key for the May 2 weekend?

I played a little this weekend and I have to say - "meh." It all seems unfinished (obviously beta), the game runs like a pig on my system that runs TESO like butter, and the quest are bog standard MMORPG WoW-type quests. I felt like I was on a rail, which was no fun. I couldn't even muster the interest to play past level 4, so maybe it opens up tremendously after that, but I would hate to have to slog through those initial 10 or so levels to see it.

That being said, they still have significant time for improvement. With some tweaks, the game might be feature-ready.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Following the directions below, you'll be able to redeem your key and start downloading the client immediately. Servers will be open Friday April 25 at 7:00am PDT and will close on Sunday April 27 at 11:59pm PDT. See you on Nexus!
Beta Key for U.S. Servers:
null

Beta Key for European Servers:
null
Joy.
There is no hug button. Sad!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Oh... so they opened up a bonus weekend? Be happy, because I don't think next weekend's beta was originally planned.
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

Yes, this is a surprise weekend. They know about the messed up emails and are working on fixing it.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

I have a beta key if anyone needs one. I am not going to use it.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

I have finally found the next WoW. Preordering the deluxe edition now. I'm 100% into this one after only a few hours. Not like everything else that has come after WoW INCLUDING WoW.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

Cool, you can play with me and Hark at a minimum.

The game is kind of buggy as all get out right now but I really like it. It's very much good for the ADD gamer where you can just run off and do something random while you are on one quest and then there will also be crafting and housing and pvp and dungeons and adventures and stuff. It's far from perfect but I see a lot of potential there to keep me busy, which I was not seeing at all in ESO.
Harkonis

Post by Harkonis »

msduncan wrote:I have finally found the next WoW. Preordering the deluxe edition now. I'm 100% into this one after only a few hours. Not like everything else that has come after WoW INCLUDING WoW.

so you mean another game where you'll play at the same time as us but never group with us at all? :P
I loved DP too! :P - ChesspieceFace
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Teggy wrote:Cool, you can play with me and Hark at a minimum.

The game is kind of buggy as all get out right now but I really like it. It's very much good for the ADD gamer where you can just run off and do something random while you are on one quest and then there will also be crafting and housing and pvp and dungeons and adventures and stuff. It's far from perfect but I see a lot of potential there to keep me busy, which I was not seeing at all in ESO.
ESO is straight up garbage. What a waste of cash. I miss that cash. :(

This game was designed by 17 original WoW team members, and it shows. Much higher entertainment value and 'hook' on this one than any MMO that has come out since WoW.
It's 34 bowl victories.

Arkon

Post by Arkon »

Interesting how opinions differ and interests for that matter.

I absolutely hated my time in the Wildstar beta, yet I am loving my time in ESO.

Different strokes and all...
You can't even tell me you'd be this tightly wound if you were receiving Treasure Type O regularly. - OOTS Strip 408
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

The Elder Scrolls world revolves around the idea that I'm an exceptional specimen, a champion for the ages, etc.

This works in single player when you are a Dragonborn and everyone starts to realize it.

In ESO? Yeah... I run up to my objective and there are 30 other exceptional people trying to tag the mob. Furthermore, that ancient crypt nobody has been to in 2000 years? Hey look! There are 15 people there when I crack the seal to it.
It's 34 bowl victories.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Beta'd both and much prefer Wildstar. ESO ..ehhh
tcweidner

Post by tcweidner »

I like the humor and art style, but I just cant get past the sameness of it all. I wouldnt mind jumping into a new MMO again, but I just want something new. A new experience. Guess I'll have to wait a lil longer. Problem is, these games cost so much to make, and take so long to make, companies arent willing to risk too much via changing the formula. Oh well..
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

EverQuest Next seems to be the next big revolution in MMOs. I really don't see myself messing with any more of them until that comes out.

I'd be all over Wildstar as a time killer if it was free-to-play, but I just can't see myself paying full subscription price for yet another WoW clone.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

YellowKing wrote:EverQuest Next seems to be the next big revolution in MMOs. I really don't see myself messing with any more of them until that comes out.

I'd be all over Wildstar as a time killer if it was free-to-play, but I just can't see myself paying full subscription price for yet another WoW clone.
Apparently you can get into the Landmark beta right now by purchasing a founder's pack. I'm still not 100% sure how Landmark and EQ:Next fit together, but it all looks highly interesting. That being said, EQ:Next is F2P, so getting Wildstar or TESO should not stop anyone from thinking about also playing EQ Next. :D
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

YellowKing wrote:EverQuest Next seems to be the next big revolution in MMOs. I really don't see myself messing with any more of them until that comes out.

It can be free if you choose that model. You can buy Credd with in game gold through the commodity exchange and purchase your subscription for the month through Credd.

And I think this is less of a WoW clone and more of what Blizzard should have put out as their next WoW. Remember this is a bunch of the original core dev team to WoW. They left Blizzard to form Carbine and create this game.
It's 34 bowl victories.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

baelthazar wrote:

Apparently you can get into the Landmark beta right now by purchasing a founder's pack. I'm still not 100% sure how Landmark and EQ:Next fit together, but it all looks highly interesting. That being said, EQ:Next is F2P, so getting Wildstar or TESO should not stop anyone from thinking about also playing EQ Next. :D
Im in the Landmark beta and didn't buy anything. Its a nice little stress reliever. I just go out and mine ore and chop trees then build stuff.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Daehawk wrote:
baelthazar wrote:

Im in the Landmark beta and didn't buy anything. Its a nice little stress reliever. I just go out and mine ore and chop trees then build stuff.
You can get randomly selected to get in as well, I believe. Is it worth a look Daehawk or more of a tech demo?

I did not have an outstanding time in the Wildstar beta, but my performance was strangely low (FPS drops) and I did not have time to get past the first few levels. If people are saying it is the new old WoW, I'm more interested.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Seems early in the development even if it is beta. Its like minecraft crossed with RUST. You go chop trees and mine ore. The ore mining is awesome because you actually dig it out and make a hole with a pick..the ore can go deep. The map is as deep as it is wide so you could dig a cave out if ya wanted. Then you process the materials into others and then make new tools that mine better and such. You then stake out a claim where you can build your home or whatever you want. Gonna take me a good while. I just last night made me a better pick axe hahaha.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Hey! You guys get this Sony sequel talk out of the Wildstar thread. :P Everyone knows Sony sequels suck the hind tit of an annoyed Rhino.
It's 34 bowl victories.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I am going to have to Google that and throw a yellow flag at you.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

msduncan wrote:Hey! You guys get this Sony sequel talk out of the Wildstar thread. :P Everyone knows Sony sequels suck the hind tit of an annoyed Rhino.
Like many a madman, I was mislead by the King in Yellow and his Yellow Sign... which looks oddly like the Wildstar sign...
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I tried the beta last weekend and pre-ordered. I have a couple of work friends, a half-dozen RL friends and relatives playing. It should be a blast. Right now I'm tentatively planning on Nexus Server, still trying to figure out which parties are wanting which servers.

What server with the Wanderers be on?

BTW - I totally buy the description of Sci-FI MMO with western theme. This game strikes me (graphically) as if Treasure Planet and Titan AE had a baby and it was an MMO.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Cylus Maxii wrote:I tried the beta last weekend and pre-ordered. I have a couple of work friends, a half-dozen RL friends and relatives playing. It should be a blast. Right now I'm tentatively planning on Nexus Server, still trying to figure out which parties are wanting which servers.

What server with the Wanderers be on?

BTW - I totally buy the description of Sci-FI MMO with western theme. This game strikes me (graphically) as if Treasure Planet and Titan AE had a baby and it was an MMO.
I think Titan AE and Firefly.

I too pre-ordered, despite my better judgement.