Re: Wildstar (New MMO)

Post by Tao »

Character names to add to friends list;

Main-
Dionket
Aristobulous

Alt-
Azymandius

Jag, is there a site to sign up for your guild or what is the best way to go about getting an invite?
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Daehawk wrote:I think Im done with MMOs with subs. if this or ESO was pay a low price then play free like most other MMOs these days I'd probably try them both though I wasn't much happy with ESO. But even being pleased with WildStar's beta I just wont be playing because of being charged twice for it. Its not THAT great. Those days are over I think.
After several beta weekends and all day today -- THIS one is the first one in 10 years finally worth the subscription.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Plainsrunner - Warbringer
Vermithrax - Warbringer
HeHateMe - Warbringer
It's 34 bowl victories.

Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Do they give out guest passes on this and if so are there any available?
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
DarkVulgar

Post by DarkVulgar »

Redfive wrote:Do they give out guest passes on this and if so are there any available?
I believe all pre-orders get 3 guest passes for 7 days. Not sure when the pre-orders will be getting them and when they can be used.
DarkVulgar

Post by DarkVulgar »

msduncan wrote:
Daehawk wrote:I think Im done with MMOs with subs. if this or ESO was pay a low price then play free like most other MMOs these days I'd probably try them both though I wasn't much happy with ESO. But even being pleased with WildStar's beta I just wont be playing because of being charged twice for it. Its not THAT great. Those days are over I think.
After several beta weekends and all day today -- THIS one is the first one in 10 years finally worth the subscription.
Wildstar is def worth the sub. Just sucks head start dropped on a busy weekend for me.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Tao wrote:Character names to add to friends list;

Main-
Dionket
Aristobulous

Alt-
Azymandius

Jag, is there a site to sign up for your guild or what is the best way to go about getting an invite?
Ping me Slitter or Teggy in game.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

msduncan wrote:
Plus you get 30 days when you buy it, so no you are not charged twice. You can get this game for about $45 thru Green Man Gaming and if I enjoy my 30 days and want to re up, great, if not, I got more out of it than I likely would from a single player game and that a good deal in and of itself. If it keeps me entertained, then its worth the sub fee IMHO. Besides I find that when Im regularly playing a sub based game, Im not spending money on other games and my gaming cost actually goes down. When I finally do decided to catch up on those game Im missed out on but still want, I can get them cheaper as theyve been out for awhile. Its a win/win, baby!
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

My server is now a high pop server, is full, and I'm sitting in a 1 hour and 15 minute queue.

:(
It's 34 bowl victories.

Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Anyone in a PvP guild of any size? Specifically, a guild that would be able to have enough people to have guild only dungeon runs and possibly raids?
RMC

Post by RMC »

Loving this game so far. I did not play a ton over the weekend, but I put in a little with each class/Profession.

I think my highest level character is level 9, but I have 2 of those. :)

The challenges, are hard for the most part, at least with a ton of people around. It takes too long to find the creatures that you need to kill. The ones that are not creature specific, are easier. Not sure the rewards are really worth the bother, but I keep trying to get them.

I think this game is only going to get better, but I wonder if the high level content will keep people interested.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Jag

Post by Jag »

Game releases tomorrow, so buy today for the pre-order bonuses if you plan on buying soon.

I believe the pre-orders also come with 3 free trials. So i'll put a post in for requests when I get the trial keys.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm keeping an eye on reviews. The beta didn't really blow my skirt up, but I didn't play very far into it either. Will be interested to see some impressions after people get some time in with the retail version.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Yeah, when I get the trial keys, I will also open them up for anyone who wants them.

But I do not have them yet, or have not found where they are at if I have them.
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Jag

Post by Jag »

YellowKing wrote:I'm keeping an eye on reviews. The beta didn't really blow my skirt up, but I didn't play very far into it either. Will be interested to see some impressions after people get some time in with the retail version.
This game has more going on than any MMO I've played and I've played most of them. It's actually a bit overwhelming, but I love having so many options. I pre-ordered after an hour in the beta. I had zero interest in playing an MMO again, but this got its hooks into me even with my very limited play time.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

I'm trying to think of the kind of MMO that would give me the incentive to pay full price for it and then pay a full monthly subscription on top of that. For the life of me I can't come up with anything. I'm pretty much done supporting that model unless it is a true revolution in MMOs.

So what makes this one worth all that? There hasn't been a successful MMO with legs using this model in a very long time. What makes this one different from all the others? It sounds pretty much like the rest. As an aside, I wonder why some MMO doesn't try a modified version of that model. Pay full price for the game and then pay a reduced subscription of $5 or $10 per month instead of $15.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

For one thing there's at least the potential of not having to pay a sub. Basically people can buy monthly subs that can be sold in game on their auction house equivalent for gold. You get the sub, they get extra gold.

There's plenty of trials coming so just wait for one of those. They are seven day as well, lots of time to try the game out.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Do you guys still have to play the tutorial every time you make a new character? the ship part I mean.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
RMC

Post by RMC »

Daehawk wrote:Do you guys still have to play the tutorial every time you make a new character? the ship part I mean.
I have had too, so if there is a secret way to avoid that I don't know it. :)
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

RMC wrote:The challenges, are hard for the most part, at least with a ton of people around. It takes too long to find the creatures that you need to kill. The ones that are not creature specific, are easier. Not sure the rewards are really worth the bother, but I keep trying to get them.
The kill challenges are much easier in a group. Also note that you can get credit if you just swarm with a bunch of other players and tag the mobs. You can always just get a brief PUG too.

The ones where you have to pickup/activate stuff can be a pain because only one player can activate each node. The game does seem to compensate the spawn rates when a lot of people are doing a task, but this doesn't always help. e.g. if racing to disarm landmines, many more will spawn, but they might chain explode (this may have been patched by now). Its a real challenge to disarm as many as you can while watching out for the telegraphs that others are disarming, since any explosion that hits you will fail the challenge...

But hey, you can usually get these in the first couple of tries.. I think I've had to try maybe 3 times max, so far.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Angnomander

Post by Angnomander »

RMC wrote:
Daehawk wrote:Do you guys still have to play the tutorial every time you make a new character? the ship part I mean.
That tutorial put me off the entire game. I know someone will say it gets better later but someone always says that.

You folks who love the game. How did you feel about the tutorial?
Tao

Post by Tao »

The tutorial is weak and only cursorily shows the combat and path systems. Its meant for the total MMO/gaming noob. How to WASD, how to interact with NPC, how to equip etc. That being said if it turnef you off to the entire game not much I can say, you may not be into MMO'S.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive said since they first appeared if you're going to have tutorial area for your MMO then allow us to turn the damn things off once we go through them once.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Angnomander

Post by Angnomander »

Tao wrote:The tutorial is weak and only cursorily shows the combat and path systems. Its meant for the total MMO/gaming noob. How to WASD, how to interact with NPC, how to equip etc. That being said if it turnef you off to the entire game not much I can say, you may not be into MMO'S.
I do notice that the more of them I play the more easily annoyed with them I am. The whole "here's your rusty weapon and two attacks, now begin the grind!" thing has gotten old.

The best thing about Warhammer online was the ability to queue for a BG at level 1 and get exp from PvP. It's a shame more games don't do that.
DarkVulgar

Post by DarkVulgar »

The tutorial is tedious after a couple of times but once you've seen it you blow right thru it. No biggie here
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Angnomander wrote:
RMC wrote:
That tutorial put me off the entire game. I know someone will say it gets better later but someone always says that.

You folks who love the game. How did you feel about the tutorial?
It takes me all of 10 minutes to complete the tutorial now that I've started 5 characters. It's so short it's not worth mentioning and definitely not a reason to skip the game.
It's 34 bowl victories.

msduncan

Post by msduncan »

ColdSteel wrote:I'm trying to think of the kind of MMO that would give me the incentive to pay full price for it and then pay a full monthly subscription on top of that. For the life of me I can't come up with anything. I'm pretty much done supporting that model unless it is a true revolution in MMOs.

So what makes this one worth all that? There hasn't been a successful MMO with legs using this model in a very long time. What makes this one different from all the others? It sounds pretty much like the rest. As an aside, I wonder why some MMO doesn't try a modified version of that model. Pay full price for the game and then pay a reduced subscription of $5 or $10 per month instead of $15.
F2P MMOs break down into two categories:

1. Games that are half baked and designed to make you want to nickle and dime purchase anything to be able to look different from other folks, have cools stuff, or advance faster

2. Games that were shit to begin with and thus had to go F2P to either keep or expand a pitiful user base.

This game is fully realized and full featured right out of the box. It's good enough to keep me playing, which will save me buying another 40 to 60 dollar game each month that I'm playing. I'm sick of the 'F2P or I'm not supporting it' mentality when all those people are supporting is con jobs to generate money or shitty games. Nickle and dime models with in app purchases killed Apple as a gaming platform for me on mobile. F2P nearly killed MMOs for me.
It's 34 bowl victories.

Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Lord of the Rings Online (5 expansions), Everquest 2 (13 expansions), and Planetside 2 all say hi.

Still curious if anyone has found a larger PvP guild? I get the feeling most people here are into PvE which is cool.

I want to play this game, but I'm just not interested in playing yet another MMO solo and, to make matters worse, I'd rather not find a guild full of people I don't 'know'.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Angnomander wrote:
Tao wrote:The tutorial is weak and only cursorily shows the combat and path systems. Its meant for the total MMO/gaming noob. How to WASD, how to interact with NPC, how to equip etc. That being said if it turnef you off to the entire game not much I can say, you may not be into MMO'S.
I do notice that the more of them I play the more easily annoyed with them I am. The whole "here's your rusty weapon and two attacks, now begin the grind!" thing has gotten old.

The best thing about Warhammer online was the ability to queue for a BG at level 1 and get exp from PvP. It's a shame more games don't do that.
You can PvP at level 6.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Redfive wrote:Lord of the Rings Online (5 expansions), Everquest 2 (13 expansions), and Planetside 2 all say hi.

Still curious if anyone has found a larger PvP guild? I get the feeling most people here are into PvE which is cool.

I want to play this game, but I'm just not interested in playing yet another MMO solo and, to make matters worse, I'd rather not find a guild full of people I don't 'know'.
I'm on PVP but not in a guild yet. Goon Squad is on my server. :P This game has fantastic organized PVP according to my brother Zarni. He said he could easily see himself leveling a character all the way with just PVP.
It's 34 bowl victories.

Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Well eventually i managed to get some serious play time in. I had to restart on a low pop server.

I am playing a Spellslinger / Settler.

Made level 6.

Things i like, the combat, makes a change to have something different, holding down shots to power them up or repeatedly pressing to fire more often is a great improvement. Really like the cone fo fire thing as well, great for powering up shots and taking out multiple enemies. Love the double and triple kill comments as well, reminds me of Unreal Tournament.

Like the settler stuff, build stations to increase healing, speed or xp is pretty cool and seeing your structus appear as well, great when people appreciate it as well.

The looks is cool, the sci fi setting is a change as is the colourful look so far. Though graphics sometimes look less than sharp and washed out but havent fiddled much with settings just running at high. The claases as seem great, spellslinger i am enjoying but all classes seem popular.

Sound is pretty cool as is the levelling up message. I also like the level up messages that explain what you have gained when levelled up.

Now to the negatives. The tutorial is pretty crap and lacks decent explanation of some stuff, some fo the skill screens are confusing with no explanation as to what they do, i had some sort of amp point but it didnt explain what did what. Questing in general is a bit a,b,c but not the worst i have come across. Drops seem pretty poor with quest rewards the place to upgrade which could be missing a trick as getting a great random drop is always cool.

Server queues suck and today is go live day so lets see if the current low pop servers become full leading to a no win situation for headstarters.

So far so good.
Jag

Post by Jag »

I built my first house! Finally after years of waiting an MMO gets decent, customizable housing. I'm actually terrible with design and all that, but it was fun sticking stuff all over my rocket house. The cool thing is every single item is customizable. Some of the stuff gives you xp rest bonuses too. I can't wait to expand my plot and put in a BBQ pit and a farm for resource gathering.

Some housing examples here

Enlarge Image :D
Toe

Post by Toe »

Got to level 14 during the early start. Way lower than I wanted but I had a fever sat. and sun. which really limited my play time.

Some things bugging me...

Not sure why it bugs me so much, but I HATE the sell interface. Kinda hard to describe, but when you go to the Sell window at a vendor is lists your inventory items, basically from top of inventory down, showing I would guess the current top 5-6 items (scroll down to see more). I usually keep things like potions and food at the top of my inventory, so it lists those things first. So, when I sell stuff, it pops up a super annoying mini-popup at the bottom of the inventory list that just says "yeah, you just sold this item to vendor" which covers up the bottom item on the displayed inventory list, which seems to always be covering the next item I want to sell. Grrr! :evil: If the devs don't fix this, I pray someone will make a mod to resolve this issue.

Not sure if it a combination of moves I am doing alone or at the same time as a particular ability of what I am fighting, but periodically I would get massive "stutter" which basically freezes my display for several seconds. This usually occurs when the shit is hitting the fan, which does not bode well for me as 1-2 seconds of total lag can kill you in this game.

Abilities lagging behind. My guy, engineer, and I assume most other classes, have resource building moves and resource consuming moves. As soon as I use a resource building move, most of the time I can immediately use a resource consumer. However, often over this weekend, I am noticing a delay. It does not recognize I have used a resource builder as quickly as it should be, So I end up having to hit my resource consumer twice. While it may not seem like a big deal, in wildstar's fast-paced, action-oriented combat style it definitely is. It does not help that my primary resource consumer is a channeled ability, so I want to avoid hitting it twice in rapid succession.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

I made up a few chars on Rowdowser(sp?) and have just been goofing off playing different characters trying to get a feel for the best match for me. I'm digging the Stalker as it is basically Wolverine in SPAAAAAAACE(TM). I also picked a PvP sever as I usually don't do that and am intrigued for something different.
Angnomander

Post by Angnomander »

Jag wrote:
Angnomander wrote:

You can PvP at level 6.
I wish the hype had mentioned that.

If anyone has a spare code I'd like to try some newb PVP. My best memories of Warhammer are from that newb PVP zone with 3 flags.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Anyone else getting pretty poor performance? I've turned off FSAA and Shadows, but I still get chuggy FPS. My computer runs all sorts of modern games, but Wildstar seems to give it some trouble. Any thoughts?
Jag

Post by Jag »

baelthazar wrote:Anyone else getting pretty poor performance? I've turned off FSAA and Shadows, but I still get chuggy FPS. My computer runs all sorts of modern games, but Wildstar seems to give it some trouble. Any thoughts?
Did you have the beta installed? I read some left over .ini settings can cause low fps problems. It runs very well on my laptop with a mobile graphics card tethered to an iphone.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Yeah, I'd like to ask again now that the game is released: if anyone has a spare guest code I'd appreciate it as I'd like to try out the PvP before I make a purchase decision.

Thanks
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The guest codes were just mailed out so they should start popping up. Check your PMs in a minute.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

coopasonic wrote:The guest codes were just mailed out so they should start popping up. Check your PMs in a minute.

Thanks! Looking forward to playing tonight (wishful thinking?).