Hearthstone

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: Anyone in the HearthStone beta?

Post by Blackhawk »

Thanks for the advice.

So, here's a question: On the matchmaker, does level figure in? Would I be screwing myself by doing practice mode and going into the regular matches with a higher level, thus pitting myself against stronger (ie - more experienced) opponents?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Sudy Nym wrote:Why? Lol.

So Bahida.net apparently shut down over a month ago. I use Hearthstone Tracker now, one of a few available options. Seems I win around 65% of my games over the last 100, so I've definitely improved a little. Really sucks to lose the 100s of games tracked via Bahida though.
Oh, I suck too badly to waste other people's time. This way I am helping people get their 3 wins for their wow mounts with a minimal amount of time wasted
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Blackhawk wrote:So, here's a question: On the matchmaker, does level figure in? Would I be screwing myself by doing practice mode and going into the regular matches with a higher level, thus pitting myself against stronger (ie - more experienced) opponents?
I'm not certain, but I wouldn't expect it factors too deeply into the ranked matchmaking. Everyone starts at rank 25 and only progresses if they win. At that rank you're guaranteed to be playing other 25s, perhaps the odd 24. These are all going to be inexperienced or poor players, and the occasional skilled player that's just beginning a run up that season's ranked ladder.

That said, as with any game that relies dually upon skill and luck, you're still going to wind up in some frustrating games. The truly inexperienced players might make moves that confound logical play. More often than not their unconventional play should make them an easier matchup though.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Blackhawk wrote:Thanks for the advice.

So, here's a question: On the matchmaker, does level figure in? Would I be screwing myself by doing practice mode and going into the regular matches with a higher level, thus pitting myself against stronger (ie - more experienced) opponents?
Character level likely doesn't factor in at all.

For non-ranked Casual mode, it's hard to tell fact from fiction, but it seems like a lot of the community thinks Blizzard uses some form of their hidden skill rating for the matchups.

For Ranked mode, you seem to be matched purely based on rank. It's most obvious at the start of the month when they reset everyone's ranks and you get annihilated by expert players until everyone falls into their suitable ranks again.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Something I pulled from the page Sudy Nym linked to (thanks) that I find very important to learn for beginners:
Hit Points are only a resource - The only time you lose is when your HP hits 0. Until that time, the game is won through board control and card advantage. If you are a Druid, don't play your 2 mana spell "Wrath" when you can use your hero ability for the same effect and take -1 health. Even if you draw a card off of it (by doing 1 damage) its still an option that no longer exists in the future. Late game you can cast it and cycle for a card if you need it.

Don't use spells just to damage enemy HP People waste spells all the time to do damage to the enemy HP and this is usually a bad play. The only exception is if you are playing a "Rush" deck and are trying to win very early (by turns 6-8). Otherwise you burn out your cards and have very few options mid-late game. As stated before, "HP is a resource." Board control and card advantage win games.
I learned this the hard way playing Magic: the Gathering and to a very large degree it directly translates to Hearthstone.

It is almost always better to use your direct damage spells (the ones where you have a choice whether to hit the player or his minions) on your opponent's minions instead of his face--unless you are using it to actually kill him and win in the same turn.

Use your direct damage spells to protect and make way for the real all stars--your minions.

To further clarify, remembering that HP are a resource, what is the point of hitting your opponent with a fireball on turns 4 and 5 (12 total points of damage) if he was at 20 health? Sure you will take him down to 8 hp and that is not insignificant, but what if he then drops two large minions that you can't deal with (because you used those fireballs on his face) and he wins with his 8 health?

Learning little things like that are a couple of steps that it takes to actively get better at a game like HS.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

12-2 priest run brought to you by Ragnaros and Reckless Rocketeer. 8-) Haul was 395 gold and a golden Mortal Strike.

Mind Vision
Power Word: Shield
Northshire Cleric
Shadow Word: Pain x2
Kobold Geomancer
Loot Hoarder
Shadow Word: Death x2
Harvest Golem x2
Jungle Panther
Raging Worgen
Scarlet Crusader
Shadow Madness
Auchenai Soulpriest x2
Chillwind Yeti
Dark Iron Dwarf
Defender of Argus
Silvermoon Guardian
Stormwind Knight
Holy Nova x2
Fen Creeper
Holy Fire
Argent Commander
Reckless Rocketeer
Stormwind Champion
Ragnaros the Firelord

I didn't think I'd get that far... it's a really, really solid deck in terms of quality cards and removal options. But there wasn't a whole lot of synergy, and I didn't get to play anything I wouldn't have in a constructed deck.

I'm really, really loving Auchenai Soulpriest (actually got the 2nd of 2 for my set out of the reward pack). It got me out of a couple of jams. Love to play it on turn six to use the power immediately to kill a minion. I've wanted to build a "shadow priest" deck for a while, but I don't feel like crafting the remaining expensive cards I need when I don't know if the deck will be successful. But the thought of a direct damage priest makes me giggle. (Mind Spike + Prophet Velen = 4-damage fire blast for 2 mana.) I took like 5 mind blasts in an arena draft once, but that didn't go well (nor did I really expect it to).

I feel like I've turned an edge in my play. Since I lost my recorded stats when the site I was using went offline, I've gone 88-45 in arena over my last 135. It's weird, I've never really been decent at a competitive game before.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

I wish the game were even a little more accommodating for those wanting to track arena history. As it is I'd like to keep a deck record but never think about it until it's too late and gone.

Mostly so I can post the [what I think are] pretty decent decks I'm drafting only to get curb stomped in the arena.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Hearthstone Tracker seems to automatically take screenshots of your deck now. But I think you'd still have to transcribe them if you want to share and discuss them, which is a pain.

Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Ive been thoroughly enjoying the game since joining the Beta late last year. I havent enjoyed Arena mode simply because I mostly wind up playing a character/deck I dont like and grow tired of it. Had a lot of 0-3 attempts before I started winning, 6-3 is my best run to date. It has been a while, and I'm a lot better in constructed, so maybe Ill give Arena another go.

Ranked play I clawed my way to rank 16 as of today, mostly with my Shaman deck. The above comments about HP being a resource are all true. I've won many games where I get beat down to 10 or less before my deck takes off and I win.
Hipolito

Re: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft

Post by Hipolito »

I started playing Hearthstone when it was officially released. I'd never played a collectible card game of any kind before, nor have I played World of Warcraft, but since Hearthstone was free and getting so much buzz, I figured I'd give it a shot. I quickly got hooked.

I'm very multiplayer-shy, though. My only online multiplayer experience had been when I was "forced" to fight other players in Demon's Souls. So I did everything I could in singleplayer, defeating all the Normal and Expert computer-controlled enemies and earning all the Basic cards. That took a long time. Finally, today, I worked up the courage to fight the real enemy: humans.

I picked the Shaman hero since I like the randomness of the totems. I built my Shaman deck to maximize summoning and buffing. Then I flipped through my card collection and made mental note of all the "day wreckers" that could ruin my strategy. The Mage's Arcane Explosion. The Priest's Consecration. The Warrior's Whirlwind. Then I went to the main menu and clicked Play, selecting a Ranked match.

My heart pounded hard and my hands tremored as I waited to be matched. The search took a long time; I hoped the game would crash before finding me a match. But eventually I was set up against a Mage. My mind raced as the game began, trying to remember the Mage's day wreckers, my own strategy, and, out of courtesy to the other player, not to take long to move.

Going second, I used the Coin and put out two Murlocs. The Mage wiped them out with Arcane Explosion. Good, I thought, that's one day wrecker out of the way and hopefully there won't be another. I played more conventionally and defensively until I had the chance to put out a summoner and a buffer, giving me a spread of three attackers while the opponent had nothing. The Mage put out a Sen'jin Shieldmasta 3/5 Taunt. I Hexed that taz'dingo into a 0/1 frog, squished it, then did some hearty damage to the Mage, bringing her down to 19 health. The Mage put out a Boulerfist Ogre 6/7, a card that always scares me. I Bloodlusted my spread of four cards, sacrificed two to kill the ogre, and brought the Mage down to 8 health with the other two. The match didn't last long after that and I won with 29 health!

It took a while to calm down from that experience. I think I'll pace myself to just a game a day and settle in slowly to this whole multiplayer thing. Since I consider Hearthstone to be worth a full-priced game, I plan to shell out $50 for 40 packs. But first I'll play some more ranked matches and try the Arena to see how quickly I can get cards that way. I also look forward to playing the recently announced singleplayer campaign, The Curse of Naxxramas, when it becomes available.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I'm still playing multiple games per day. Have pretty much since getting into beta last October. A game hasn't hooked me like this in ages. I bought and want to play Elder Scrolls Online, but between this and bouts of Diablo 3 and Faster Than Light I haven't touched it.

Have still only shelled out $1.99 for that one Arena entry. I now have most of the top-tier legendaries (Thalnos, Cairne, Sylvanas, Ragnaros, Ysera), plus Illidan, The Beast, and Al'Akir. Not bad for six months of grinding, I suppose. I've got 152 wins in constructed, and 523 in Arena. Since I started tracking with Heartstone Tracker, I'm 129-65. I mostly play Arena, but am giving ranked a go this month periodically. Am now up to rank 13 with my Contrologist-esque Warrior, and I'm also giving a Midgrange Shaman a try since I pulled Al'Akir in the past week. I played a fair bit of Control Shaman in my only other stab at constructed.

Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Played my second multiplayer match today. Before doing so, I played a practice round (as Shaman) against the Expert Warrior and got trounced. I never know what to do against Warrior. Then I played a ranked match against a level 22 Warrior and got trounced. I exercised pretty good board control, maybe dealing my Hex and Windfury cards too early. But then he dealt Frothing Berserker (2/4, gains +1 attack every time any minion takes damage). I should have sacrificed 3 of my minions to take that card down, but I held back, hoping my second Hex card would arrive in time to save me. It never came.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Hipolito wrote:Played my second multiplayer match today. Before doing so, I played a practice round (as Shaman) against the Expert Warrior and got trounced. I never know what to do against Warrior. Then I played a ranked match against a level 22 Warrior and got trounced. I exercised pretty good board control, maybe dealing my Hex and Windfury cards too early. But then he dealt Frothing Berserker (2/4, gains +1 attack every time any minion takes damage). I should have sacrificed 3 of my minions to take that card down, but I held back, hoping my second Hex card would arrive in time to save me. It never came.
I don't play. But I've watched my wife play. And listened to her frustration. So I don't know much, but I can tell you that you never... ever... wait. Take out the threat as soon as you can. The game is very unforgiving and will only rarely give you a second chance. Besides, you never know what card your opponent will play next... you might need that Hex for something else. So, yeah, never wait. Also, never ignore the minions. Unless you know you can beat them this turn.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Ranked game 3: lost to a rank 22 Priest. I was doing well at first, set up a nice 6-card army (including 2 totems). I sensed he wasn't very good and that I'd win. Then he dealt the Northshire Cleric. Arrgh. I really ought to have one of those in my deck. I tried to take it down, but he had some other cards that buffed its health, eventually reaching 10.

Something happened, though, that i'd never seen before: fatigue! He ran out of cards and took fatigue damage which got worse with each turn. Wow. Had I played a little smarter, I might have held out long enough for fatigue to kill him.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Hipolito wrote:Then he dealt the Northshire Cleric. Arrgh. I really ought to have one of those in my deck.
It's a priest card. You wouldn't have it in a shaman deck.
Something happened, though, that i'd never seen before: fatigue! He ran out of cards and took fatigue damage which got worse with each turn. Wow. Had I played a little smarter, I might have held out long enough for fatigue to kill him.
It's not easy to kill a healing class with fatigue... It's very rare that I have any game decided by fatigue, really.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

I still mostly play my Shaman constructed deck and it used to be seeing a Priest as my opponent equaled a loss, but not so much any more. If I see a Northshire Cleric come out, especially early, it gets Earth Shocked or Lightning Bolted ASAP. Priests seem to have a lot of cards that work well with others... taking out certain key cards really puts a crimp in their flow.

Hearthstone can often be a very frustrating game, but I'm still loving it. Lately I've been going up against a lot of Warlocks running Murloc swarm decks and if I draw my area-effect spells they're easy to take down, but if luck sticks most of the cards at the bottom of the deck I'm screwed. Not much you can do about it. I still vividly remember one of my early games against a Mage (back when that was a class I feared to face) and the early game was mostly a draw, mid-game saw me leading 22-3 and then I fizzled out but managed to hold on quite awhile. I was down to maybe 8 cards in my deck and I knew all I needed was either Fire Elemental or my one remaining Lightning Bolt to finish off his last 3 HP but they never came up. *sigh*

If I were to pick one card that has been critical in a lot of my wins, it would have to be Ragnaros. Sure, for every time I've played him and he's made the difference there's been a time where he comes in, nukes some silly Murloc and then gets Polymorphed/Silenced/Mind Controlled... but when he delivers he delivers. Best case had to be a really close game where I summoned him, he lived to see my next turn and then I silenced him and gave him Windfury for 16 damage. Or the time a Priest had me on the ropes and then I got board control and Rag in play. I was able to clear his minions for 3 turns straight... 24 damage all from Rag :)
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I used to have trouble with Murloc decks, but I think the key is to not be afraid of seemingly unfavorable trades early on. A few wasteful moves early on to keep his side clear of early Murlocs means that after a few turns he's got an empty board and an empty hand while you've still got plenty of cards ready to play.
TheMix wrote:
Hipolito wrote:Played my second multiplayer match today. Before doing so, I played a practice round (as Shaman) against the Expert Warrior and got trounced. I never know what to do against Warrior. Then I played a ranked match against a level 22 Warrior and got trounced. I exercised pretty good board control, maybe dealing my Hex and Windfury cards too early. But then he dealt Frothing Berserker (2/4, gains +1 attack every time any minion takes damage). I should have sacrificed 3 of my minions to take that card down, but I held back, hoping my second Hex card would arrive in time to save me. It never came.
I don't play. But I've watched my wife play. And listened to her frustration. So I don't know much, but I can tell you that you never... ever... wait. Take out the threat as soon as you can. The game is very unforgiving and will only rarely give you a second chance. Besides, you never know what card your opponent will play next... you might need that Hex for something else. So, yeah, never wait. Also, never ignore the minions. Unless you know you can beat them this turn.
There's definitely a balancing act with this. The Chillwind Yeti is a good example of a bait card for Hex/Polymorph/etc. He's fairly cheap to play, but just beefy enough that your opponent may be tempted to blow a big removal card on him. Then you bring out something even bigger.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Lost my fourth ranked match against a fellow Shaman, shaaaame.

And I played my first Arena game today. I picked Mage and assembled a pretty powerful deck I think. 2 Mana Wyrms, 2 Spellbreakers, a Mind Control Tech, a Faceless Manipulator, other good cards. I went up against a Hunter. He knew I was an idiot early in the game when I overlooked one of my ready-to-attack minions and clicked End Turn. I have got to slow down. He brought the hounds out on me twice. He beat me, but at least I brought him down to 14 health, which is pretty good. OK it's not.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

gilraen wrote:
It's not easy to kill a healing class with fatigue... It's very rare that I have any game decided by fatigue, really.
Yeah, in the thousand games I've played, I think me or my opponent has gotten more than a couple cards into fatigue less than five times. If your opponent is outdrawing you by such a significant margin, you're usually already dead. Both of you getting that low on cards requires a fluke of a balanced game. (If you run a control deck it's not uncommon to have long games that run deep into your deck, but running 30 cards deep is still a rarity.)

There's a video or two in which Total Biscuit tries to win with a mill deck (intentionally getting his opponent to overdraw cards), but it just doesn't work. The game's designed to discourage this strategy (appropriately most think, as it's a pretty boring deck to use and frustrating to play against).

Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

My opponent who went into fatigue probably had a good idea of how many turns of it he could last and was just toying with me.

Another Ranked and Arena loss today, but my Ranked match against a rank 20 Druid was interesting. My deck had all the Murlocs I own, but I only own the Basic Murlocs. As soon as I started playing them, he started playing some really advanced Murlocs. (The cards had some swirly metal wings on the edges, which I guess means they're Legendary. First time I've seen such cards.) So that was the end of that plan. But I later managed to drop him down to 2 health, while my health was 4, thanks to two well-timed Bloodlust cards. His next blow killed me.

One of his cards was a golden Void Walker. He's not one to immediately melt his golden cards down for crafting; he keeps and plays them proudly. I like that!
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Hipolito wrote: One of his cards was a golden Void Walker. He's not one to immediately melt his golden cards down for crafting; he keeps and plays them proudly. I like that!
Voidwalker is a soulbound card, you can't DE it :) You get golden version of it when you get your warlock deck to level 30-something.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

gilraen wrote:
Hipolito wrote: One of his cards was a golden Void Walker. He's not one to immediately melt his golden cards down for crafting; he keeps and plays them proudly. I like that!
Voidwalker is a soulbound card, you can't DE it :) You get golden version of it when you get your warlock deck to level 30-something.
Oh. Well, he was still cool, saying Greetings at the beginning and Well Played when I nearly beat him. It feels great when people do that. I usually don't initiate greetings, but am quick to respond in kind.
MindToyGames

Post by MindToyGames »

I have been playing this game some, and it is fun! The design is solid (even if duels usually are mostly decided by turn 8-9 or so, based on minions that manage to survive to that point). Solid design principles, great presentation (1920x1080 is nice indeed!) and sound, and the classes play differently enough to make each one worth learning. In Casual i'm 19-5 in 24 games, not too bad.
Derek - Wayward Indie Game Designer/Doer of Many Things/CEO, SimProse Studios
My Steam Developer Clubhouse: https://store.steampowered.com/developer/simprose
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Hipolito wrote:Oh. Well, he was still cool, saying Greetings at the beginning and Well Played when I nearly beat him. It feels great when people do that. I usually don't initiate greetings, but am quick to respond in kind.
The "fun" players are the ones that say "Well Played" after they play something. Sometimes repeatedly. They really want you to notice that they have awesome cards and are kicking your butt... Sometimes they vary it with, I'm assuming, is an entirely unfelt, "Sorry".

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

TheMix wrote:
Hipolito wrote:Oh. Well, he was still cool, saying Greetings at the beginning and Well Played when I nearly beat him. It feels great when people do that. I usually don't initiate greetings, but am quick to respond in kind.
The "fun" players are the ones that say "Well Played" after they play something. Sometimes repeatedly. They really want you to notice that they have awesome cards and are kicking your butt... Sometimes they vary it with, I'm assuming, is an entirely unfelt, "Sorry".
If I were to meet such a player, I'd simply respond "Thanks" each time.

I will not be meeting such a player, though, as, sadly, I've decided to stop playing. I've become disenchanted (hee?) with this game since I started multiplayer. I'm sure part of the reason is that I'm losing most of the time. But multiplayer makes me feel unpleasant even while I'm winning. I feel like I'm auditioning or taking an exam.

And I don't feel like doing the work to become better, like studying strategy guides, learning the meta game, or even adjusting my deck. I was looking forward to developing my card collection, but since the purpose of the cards is to use them in the game, I've lost interest. I see now why people call this game a rabbit hole and I just don't feeling like going in.

It's too bad my attitude toward this game did such a 180, as Hearthstone has so much flavor! Each minion has its own sound effects for being played, attacking, and dying. The cards' flavor text is cheesy but some of it makes me chuckle every time. I love the music, the whole inn theme, the way the crowd cheers when big damage occurs, and the ebullient innkeeper. The art strikes me as generic fantasy but I suppose it's consistent with WoW, and I love how brutal the Whirlwind card looks. And I appreciate the warm and unobtrusive design that just gets you out there and playing matches without the fuss and hurt feelings (mostly) of chat or trading. But playing the game is still too stressful for me.

For now, with a 1-5 Ranked record and a 2-3 Arena run, I'm "retiring" from multiplayer and waiting for the singleplayer campaign. I spent my remaining gold on a card pack and got two Rares! A lucky way to leave.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

When I played multi-player, I didn't even try... I just hit the end turn button and let the other guys win. Gained some levels just losing, but also don't play anymore... Waiting for the single player adventure they are talking about
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Just started playing recently, and have two classes leveled up to 10 (Paladin) and 11 (Mage). I also have 200 in gold, which I haven't spent. I click on ARENA to see what that was about, and lost three in a row (mentioned something about gold there, but I didn't pay much attention).

Any thoughts on the best way to use what I assume to be "starting money" since I won't be adding any real cash unless I get much more hooked than I am now (on the hooked scale, I would put me at a 7 right now I guess) That's "plays on the shitter, but will not avoid other real world issues or tasks to play" on my scale :D
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

All I've ever used gold for is the Arena.

Doing the daily quests for gold and my winnings from arena play (very little) have been enough to keep me going without spending a dime. I've probably had about 20-25 arena runs.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Any thoughts on the best way to use what I assume to be "starting money" since I won't be adding any real cash unless I get much more hooked than I am now (on the hooked scale, I would put me at a 7 right now I guess) That's "plays on the shitter, but will not avoid other real world issues or tasks to play" on my scale :D
Save it for the Arena, so you can see if you like the Arena. Otherwise, card packs. You may want to wait to play a lot of Arena until you get all the classes to 10, though, so you can have a little better idea of how everyone plays.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Any thoughts on the best way to use what I assume to be "starting money" since I won't be adding any real cash unless I get much more hooked than I am now .
I would say use your gold on arena even if you think you will do terrible. Playing arena you are guaranteed at least 1 pack of cards even if you lose every game. If you manage to win a couple it means you could get 2-3 packs and or some extra gold. It might also open your eyes to some high level card combos that you wouldn’t see otherwise.

I’m a little surprised by people feeling stressed by the game in multiplayer. This is about as stress-free as a “competitive” game can be, what with the inability to talk to your opponent and the ability to take really long turns. If you don’t like that other people can send emotes you can also squelch them, at which point they can’t communicate with you at all.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I just don't like competitive multiplayer in anything. It's mostly because I suck in general, but because I am so bad at MP I try to only play boardgames that are co-operative (or purely luck) and the main reason why I was so heavily into PnP roleplaying games rather than wargames and their ilk...It's a waste of other people's time to even play against me if they are looking for a challenge/fun experience.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Lordnine wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote: Any thoughts on the best way to use what I assume to be "starting money" since I won't be adding any real cash unless I get much more hooked than I am now .
I would say use your gold on arena even if you think you will do terrible. Playing arena you are guaranteed at least 1 pack of cards even if you lose every game. If you manage to win a couple it means you could get 2-3 packs and or some extra gold. It might also open your eyes to some high level card combos that you wouldn’t see otherwise.

I’m a little surprised by people feeling stressed by the game in multiplayer. This is about as stress-free as a “competitive” game can be, what with the inability to talk to your opponent and the ability to take really long turns. If you don’t like that other people can send emotes you can also squelch them, at which point they can’t communicate with you at all.
Thanks re: first part, and completely agree with second. I am one of those weird, anti-MP gamers, so for me to play other players and have a positive experience, is saying something. In fact, they "hide" the fact that you are playing a real opponent so well, I'm not sure you would know the difference if it was a bot or not (say if they can't find a meat space match for you).

On top of that, are arena games real people, or AI?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Arena is real people. It's generally pretty easy to tell the difference. Real people are SLOW!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Angnomander

Post by Angnomander »

If I hit casual is my opponent also casual, or can they be playing a ranked match?
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Angnomander wrote:If I hit casual is my opponent also casual, or can they be playing a ranked match?
Both casual.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I kind of run hot/cold with this so far. At times, I dig it. Then I decide to try and work on leveling one of my classes up to 10, and it feels like a drag. Without access to all the basic class cards, the classes just feel like they're missing vital elements. I know that'll improve as I get more stuff, but it's a bummer in these early stages. It sucks when you're in a situation where you know you need some minion removal, but you know there isn't any in your deck because you didn't have access to any of those cards.

I kind of think I need to just jump into arena, but then I make myself wait because I hate the idea of risking gold because I don't feel like I know enough. Yes, I know this is silly because I can earn more gold through quests. Don't judge me!

I actually did win against a priest because of fatigue. He got a LOT of "draw a card on heal" cards out. He had something like three of those shaman/healer things, so there were times he was drawing four cards on a turn. I also got out a healing totem, which also made him draw. He kept having to discard as he drew, and I barely outlived him. I laughed. I also managed to trick someone into attacking me and my Eye for an Eye killed him. That was awesome.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Lordnine wrote:I’m a little surprised by people feeling stressed by the game in multiplayer. This is about as stress-free as a “competitive” game can be, what with the inability to talk to your opponent and the ability to take really long turns. If you don’t like that other people can send emotes you can also squelch them, at which point they can’t communicate with you at all.
It has to do with my mentality rather than the game. I think the problem is not the player-to-player interaction or waiting for turns, but the knowledge that I'm competing against a human being, which makes me dread losing because I just have to win!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I always feel in a game like this that im not good enough and people think Im an idiot lol. I just deleted it toninight.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Enjoying a few games a night. Not something I'd play for hours, but a decent diversion.

Definitely prefer playing second and running a rush deck.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I keep pulling nothing but 40g quests. :(
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds