Total War Rome II

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Grifman

Re: Total War Rome II

Post by Grifman »

FYI, there was a huge battlefield AI update a few weeks ago and the reports are very favorable. The AI now applies siege tactics correctly and is much tougher on the battlefield. I've read of people toning the difficulty level down because of these changes. Just thought I'd pass on what I have heard (but admittedly haven't played and seen myself).
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm going to grab this the next time it hits a good sale. It sounded really half baked when it first came out and I've been burnt by that series one too many times. The thing that irks me the most is that the same issues tend to carry over from series to series.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

Be warned - I purchased the last time it was 50% off and I was unimpressed. The economy was so off-putting that I only managed about 8 hours of game play. I just couldn't get over the fact that my 1 city Brit faction was generating nearly 6k per turn in gold, despite my constant recruiting and building....my gold pile just kept growing, and growing. I remember in METW II money was always so hard to come by and saving up to purchase/build vs. being ready for war with army cost was like walking a tight rope, but in Rome II money seems to fall from the sky.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Citizen wrote:Be warned - I purchased the last time it was 50% off and I was unimpressed. The economy was so off-putting that I only managed about 8 hours of game play. I just couldn't get over the fact that my 1 city Brit faction was generating nearly 6k per turn in gold, despite my constant recruiting and building....my gold pile just kept growing, and growing. I remember in METW II money was always so hard to come by and saving up to purchase/build vs. being ready for war with army cost was like walking a tight rope, but in Rome II money seems to fall from the sky.
Most factions have a set amount of money they get each turn which in the past has caused smaller factions to get a considerable advantage. There are a number of mods that fix that already, and the change logs for the new version indicated that's something they'll be addressing as well.
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

Wow, it took them how long to realize that the core income need to be cut in half? But wait, we still get bonus income added to core income - bonus for what? Is it just a forever bonus that you start with? If so, it's not really a bonus, but part of the core income.
Alongside the extensive building changes are a bunch of other balance changes for the campaign.
Core income for all factions reduced from 3000 to 1500
• Playable factions get different bonuses to core income. Sparta gets 500 for example, Macedon 1000, Rome 1500. So overall Sparta will have 2000 (1500 base + 500 extra) and Rome 3000 (1500 base + 1500 extra).
• Post-battle settlement occupation options rebalanced.
• Iceni, Roman, Eastern and royal Scythian faction traits adjusted. Iceni captive reduction replaced with small negative to morale in enemy territory. Roman experience bonus for infantry replaced with +1 recruitment slot in all regions. Eastern experience bonus for missile units replaced with +25% ammo. Same for Royal Scythians.
• Besieger attrition reduced.
• Replenishment rates reduced.
• Biephi faction renamed to Apulii.
• Fixed inconsistent messages/outcomes for subjects (faction screen dilemmas).
• Fix for not all factions getting missions, subjects, incidents or dilemmas in all campaigns.
razgon

Post by razgon »

Core income means every nation, which is why it has been regulated, and not just the major factions or playable factions.
Gone...
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Have they patched in AI Governor's yet? That was a core feature in Rome and sorely missing in this version
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
tgb

Post by tgb »

Arise!

So I awoke this morning fully intending to get TW:Warhammer today but then I started thinking - what itch will it scratch that I can't scratch by playing something in my library? If I want high-fantasy tactical warfare I've got AoW 3 (not Warhammer, but I don't really care about that, plus the battles are turn-based). For the TW experience I have the barely-touched Attila, but it just hasn't grabbed me. Then I remembered reading that TW:Rome 2 had finally been patched into a pretty good condition, so I'm installing it as I write this.

My only question at this point is if any one can recommend any "indispensable" mods.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

I'm going to link this here for reasons:

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/update-on ... l-releases

As much fun as I'm having with Warhammer, I'm REALLY excited to get back to some historical gaming with Total War, and with new content to boot. Glad some titles are finally near enough to talk about.

Pertinent parts of the blog post (Maya being the "history director" on the upcoming project):

TW Blog Guy: Maya, I’ll start with your team as we’re going to hear from you guys first, and soon too. Without giving the game away, what are you up to?

Maya: Well we’re working on a campaign expansion for one of our older games, probably the biggest historical one CA’s done we think. We’ve been working on our project for the best part of a year, and with not long to go we’re well into testing now with nearly all the content in. And yes, it’s going to be the next Total War announcement, which is exciting for us!

TW Blog Guy: We can say it’s for one of our slightly older games though?

Maya: Yes, and the first time we’ve gone back to a game so long after release. That in itself is very new territory and something we’re keen to explore as a studio, because it opens up lots of exciting future projects if it’s successful. There’s a lot of people still playing this particular game, but there’s also lot more we haven’t even touched in that era yet, some really incredible stories and events that defined history.

TW Blog Guy: What are you looking forward to most about the release?

Maya: Well of course we want players to get a big kick out of the new expansion, but I think seeing people’s reaction to the big free update we’re making to the main game at the same time will be really interesting. It’s great to be able to go back and look at a whole area of the game and make some changes.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

" It’s great to be able to go back and look at a whole area of the game and make some changes."

"And by that, we mean get rid of all the things that made that game special for its time. Also, we expect to make just enough changes that all your favorite mods will be forever obsolete when Steam auto-downloads the free content, because we made sure to pick the game for which all the important modders have retired."
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

Freyland wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:22 pm " It’s great to be able to go back and look at a whole area of the game and make some changes."

"And by that, we mean get rid of all the things that made that game special for its time. Also, we expect to make just enough changes that all your favorite mods will be forever obsolete when Steam auto-downloads the free content, because we made sure to pick the game for which all the important modders have retired."
Just because modders abandon a game doesn't mean the developer should.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Stuie wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:19 pm
Freyland wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:22 pm " It’s great to be able to go back and look at a whole area of the game and make some changes."

Just because modders abandon a game doesn't mean the developer should.
All a bit tongue-in-cheek, but for example, I really wouldn't want them to go make changes to MTW2, and thus disable the many excellent overhauls of that game, unless those changes really made a profound improvement. Basically, don't make an "okay" game a little better while eliminating the mods that made it "superb". In any case, I'm betting it will be Rome TW2. They will make further improvements to it that they first promoted in Atilla, and then find some new DLC they can charge for that will benefit from those changes. That last part is just the nature of the beast -- a company won't put substantial work into something unless they stand to make a profit on it.
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

Rome II update announced, including a patch to overhaul politics and a new DLC during the Crisis of the Third Century:

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Stuie wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:16 am Rome II update announced, including a patch to overhaul politics and a new DLC during the Crisis of the Third Century:

Ok, that is cool, because that is a very interesting time for the empire, how it nearly crumbled apart until Aurelian was able to put it back together.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Freyland wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:58 pm All a bit tongue-in-cheek, but for example, I really wouldn't want them to go make changes to MTW2, and thus disable the many excellent overhauls of that game, unless those changes really made a profound improvement. Basically, don't make an "okay" game a little better while eliminating the mods that made it "superb". In any case, I'm betting it will be Rome TW2. They will make further improvements to it that they first promoted in Atilla, and then find some new DLC they can charge for that will benefit from those changes. That last part is just the nature of the beast -- a company won't put substantial work into something unless they stand to make a profit on it.
:whistle:
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

Grifman wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:40 am Ok, that is cool, because that is a very interesting time for the empire, how it nearly crumbled apart until Aurelian was able to put it back together.
Definitely a dynamic period of history that fits the "Total War" model. They also mention that five of the ten playable factions are "Heroic Factions" with a more defined story, leader, event chains, and victory conditions etc. to go along with that. Sounds juicy. :D

As a side note, the Power and Politics patch is already available in Steam as a beta. Also, a roll-back version of the game will be available even post-patch so that people can continue playing older mods if they so choose. Win, win.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Looking forward to visiting Rome again with some beefed up mechanics. I'd love for them to at least make the military agents heroes that can fight on the battlefield, as that's one of my favorite additions from Warhammer, but just an update to the mechanics is good enough for me.

And I'm sure some of you have listened to it, but for anyone fascinated with Roman history, the History of Rome podcast is an excellent, if long, overview of both the Republican era of Rome, and the Imperial era.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Total War: Rome 2 Ancestral update
The Creative Assembly are keeping a lot of plates spinning these days. Not only did they recently release Total War spinoff Thrones of Britannia, but they’re still working on Total War: Three Kingdoms and continually updating their Warhammer games, too. They’ve clearly not forgotten about Total War: Rome 2 either, as they’ve just released a massive new update adding a major new gameplay element; family trees and the intrigues they spawn.

While characters in Total War games have been able to have children, marry into families or otherwise spawn descendants, the Family Tree screen makes it much clearer. You can track exactly who is related to who, and use that to predict who’ll be on your side if your empire splits, secedes or falls into civil war. More interesting is the Intrigues system, which seem to be Crusader Kings-esque interpersonal actions that characters can perform, many requiring certain military ranks, political positions or attributes to carry out.
Dev Blog/Patch Notes

It's currently in beta, so you'll have to opt in through Steam if you want to try it out.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch