Door Kickers [PC] - 2D Top Down Tactical Shooter

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Re: Door Kickers [PC] - 2D Top Down Tactical Shooter

Post by jztemple2 »

Winter Update: Part 3 of 3 Released
Since we suspect you finished three-starring all available maps, here is the concluding part of the Winter update to help you get through the tactical drought:

Features:
- New campaign (longest one yet!).
- New scenario type: Robbery in Progress.
- 9 new weapons.
- 1 new enemy type.
- Added 3 new editor brushes (erase background / white / shadow).
- Added 16 new Steam Achievements (entry-level ones).

Fixes:
- Replays sometimes getting desynchronized (bug introduced in 1.0.3).
- Saved plan sometimes being deleted.
- Campaign Won screen showing when losing all troopers.
- Troopers sometimes going through doors without triggering any action.
- Crash related to some mods.
- Improvements/tweaking to existing equipment.
- Crash when resizing map to a certain size in editor.

Enjoy the new content!
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Just FYI, Door Kickers is on sale this week on Steam for 50% off.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Rip

Post by Rip »

I didn't even realize the guy behind this is an old friend of mine. We cleaned up hurricane damage together at the Cavalla (SS-224) in Seawolf Park

He was a Silent Hunter programmer/design guy.

Anyway here is a nice interview with him.

Dan Dimitrescu
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

So, after not playing for a couple of years I went back to the game to find something fun to play and hey, turns out it is still fun :D

Since I last played it, there are been some little features added here and there, and also it now is supported on tablets. To celebrate this new feature the devs have added a new campaign which makes six. Since I hadn't played for so long I went back and played it from the start, going through the single missions as well.

There have been a bunch of things added to the Steam Workshop for the game. A couple of fun new levels (missions) deserve a mention. One is The Big Bang Theory, which consists of the two apartments of the main characters, and it's pretty neat if you are a fan of the show.

Another very good, and very tough level/mission is Breaking Bad. I'm not a fan of the show, but it appears to show an abandoned factory and an RV parked there. It is a very cleverly designed level and pretty brutal. I finally beat it after several tries but only after losing four of my six troopers :shock:

And of course I have my own Steam Workshop items, nine levels/missions plus a no armor mod, which I created to work with my Dragnet - Reefer Madness mission.

If anyone has any questions about the game, post them here. The only game I've played more than this is Fallout 4 and XCOM 2, so I think I'm telling you I recommend it :D
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

A friend and I played through a couple of missions in the "new" coop mode. It's different - there's no pause ability. Even if you're in "planning mode", the clock is still ticking. But it's a lot of fun.

Although we did have about a 50% casualty rate, which was unfortunate.
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

For those who still have any interest in the game, some news. The developers have formally announced a sequel, Door Kickers 2: Task Force North:
The long awaited sequel to the hit tactics game Door Kickers, Task Force North brings you the best portrayal of modern Close Quarters Combat and Tactics in a video game. Coming at you in Early Access circa Q2 2020.

Door Kickers 2 is a top down strategy and tactics game about using intelligence assets and controlling Special Operation Units in daring raids to neutralize and capture terrorists in the fictional country of Nowheraki, Middle East.
Unfortunately it will be in Early Access for 12 to 16 months(!) so I might have to break my rule about never buying until full release.

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

This is awesome news. I liked Door Kickers and after seeing this I bought the iPad version. It's logical that they expand into the world of military special operations but still have a soft spot for the original civilian setting. Reminded me of the SWAT series by Sierra Games.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

$iljanus wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:18 pm Reminded me of the SWAT series by Sierra Games.
Me too, I loved that whole SWAT series. I posted some missions for Door Kickers and had a blast just tinkering with the editor in it. I also liked the random mission generator, which I used in conjunction with changes in loadouts to try unusual tactics. It's a shame that DK2:TFN will be so long in development, but it is some small Romanian developer and I'm sure they are going to try to not overwhelm themselves. I never did pick up their old school Door Kickers: Action Squad as I'm not really into that side-scroller type of game.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

OK, finally some more news about Door Kickers 2. Not enough to start a new thread, but enough to post the info. The article is from Rock, Paper, Shotgun: The Flare Path endangers Rangers: Kicking arse, and doors, in Door Kickers 2
If days were centimetres the sequel to this site’s favourite tactics game of 2014 would be about this far away (I’m holding my hands out in front of me like a person illustrating the leg span of the largest giant huntsman spider ever recorded). Poke your spycam under yonder jump and you’ll spot an interview with Door Kickers 2’s designer, Dan Dimitrescu, plus a blow-by-blow account of my second attempt at “Why We Fight”, one of the 40 missions destined for the first Early Access build.
The interview is pretty informative about how the game is progressing, the switch to 3D, scope and features, plus the good news that the game will go into Early Access in November. Normally I stay away from Early Access, but I loved DK1 and am happy to throw some bucks towards the developers.

A sample screenshot:
Enlarge Image

Like the first game, this version will feature an editor for making your own levels. I used the editor in DK1 to make a number of maps.

The second half of the article is an After Action Review of one of the missions played by the author. There are quite a number of screenshots which will give a good look at the game.
Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Those screenshots look great and I'm tempted by going in on the early access in November. I think the developers are pretty solid.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And Door Kickers 2: Task Force North is now available in Early Access on Steam. I'm busy with Watch Dogs Legion right now but I'll be getting it sometime.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

You have to love their System Requirements:

Minimum:
Processor: dual-core potato
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: OpenGL 3.1 / DirectX 10 compatible video card. Integrated IntelHD 630 or better.
Storage: 1 GB available space
Additional Notes: mouse with 3 buttons and scroll wheel

Recommended:
Processor: i5
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: Any dedicated video card newer than 2016
Storage: 1 GB available space
Additional Notes: mouse with 3 buttons and scroll wheel
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

1 GB storage requirement is really nice.
Black lives matter!

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've been playing Door Kickers 2 and for an early Early Access game there is a lot of content to fool with. There are twenty five missions to play, from a half dozen essentially tutorial ones to large maps to five that are small, two operative missions. There's a full roster of operatives with assaulters, support, markmen and grenadiers. The latter have functional M4s with underbarrel M203 grenade launchers, which is cool and new to the Door Kickers series. Just like the first Door Kickers, winning missions adds points to your total which allow upgrades like better sights or whole new weapons.

New features for operative actions include the abilities to select standing or crouch posture as well as walk or sprint movement. New gear include explosive grenades and smoke grenades. And the new device that's a real (dare I say it?) game changer is the wall breach charge. Almost any wall can be breached, but it is not a panacea, especially if that hostage you wanted to rescue is on the other side :roll:

I played a lot of the original and after playing about four hours of the new one I can say that the AI seems smarter, although I believe that a good part of that might just be clever programmed scripted behavior. It doesn't matter, the AI really seem smarter. And most missions when replayed have significant changes to enemy locations and behavior. Oh, and the bad guys have grenades (ouch) and RPGs (big ouch).