Banished - Medieval City Building

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Brian

Banished - Medieval City Building

Post by Brian »

Did a search and didn't find a topic on this one.

Banished
Welcome to the world of Banished! In this city-building strategy game, you control a group of exiled travelers who decide to restart their lives in a new land. They have only the clothes on their backs and a cart filled with supplies from their homeland.

The objective of the game is to keep the population alive and grow it into a successful culture. Options for feeding the people include hunting and gathering, agriculture, trade, and fishing. However, sustainable practices must be considered to survive in the long term.
Enlarge Image Enlarge Image

Trailer:

Last edited by Brian on Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Daehawk

Re: Banished - Medieval City Building

Post by Daehawk »

This is my kinda thing.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Daehawk wrote:This is my kinda thing.
I would say the same but it remains to be seen. This is my kinda theme for a game I should like but if it becomes a standard 3D city Builder then not so much.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thats true. I dont want someone telling me I have to make 20 yarn or catch 40 fish for them,. I want to simply see my people and village thrive and grow and face hardships.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Daehawk wrote:Thats true. I dont want someone telling me I have to make 20 yarn or catch 40 fish for them,. I want to simply see my people and village thrive and grow and face hardships.
I think you nailed it.
dbemont

Post by dbemont »

Very interesting (although I too hope it doesn't turn out to be the same old city builder)

Thanks for the heads up.
Commish of OOTP online league Dog Days Baseball
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

Looks very interesting; just my sort of genre.
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

This game is made entirely by one guy, so I am willing to cut him some slack if it isn't exactly what I want. I'm definitely keeping my eye on this one though, it looks fun.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Looks like a more serious version of The Settlers, which sounds great to me. Hope he pulls it off.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

One guy?
Impressive... I like the little details! Will keep an eye on this one
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

What about public transportation and power plants?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

So, the one thing from those screenshots that gives me pause, and makes me think it will indeed end up feeling mostly 'settlers' like is just those unrealistic neat stacks of resources piled up in the yards.

Otherwise, this has a great 'feel' to it (graphics-wise), and I'm also interested.
MadMarlin

Post by MadMarlin »

It could be good, but I would only buy it if it required a constant Internet connection and had in-game advertisements!
THEN it would be a great game!!

MM
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Sounds like my kind of game, too. Looking forward to eventual impressions.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

In in as well. Wonder if there is any chance of an Early Access on Steam...
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I've been following this for some time, but the news slowed down over the summer.

I'm looking forward to the release or at least paid-alpha/beta!
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

Daayummm. He has snow built into the game engine??? Sorta looks like a DLC of Age of Empires 1. I like city builders so even if he only reaches that height . . I'm in.
AKA: Dajjer
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Yeah, I'd seem this one before too. Haven't heard much recently but am definitely keeping an eye on it. Looked very interesting, especially by a team of 1.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

There's a release date of Feb 18th.

There's also a LP on youtube that was released 2 days ago so it's very recent, here's the link to his channel :

http://www.youtube.com/user/quill18/videos

I'm fairly certain I will be buying this if only for the fact that he made it by himself.
Isgrimnur wrote:
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Vorret wrote:There's a release date of Feb 18th.
At a $20ish price point (per his Reddit AMA last month), guess I'm saving the $17 in my Steam wallet for this one. Waiting for the newest Let's Play to load up...
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm hoping that it will be supportive of less powerful video cards; my AMD Radeon HD 6570 is on the low end of the specs of a lot of games I play right now.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

Thanks for the LP link Vorrent. The Quill18 guy made the game seem like a lot of fun. And since I will no longer be playing any SimCity games, this looks to fit the bill nicely. This is now one of my most anticipated games of the year.
AKA: Dajjer
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

The last single developer game I played, Stardrive, was not very good. While I like the genre, I'm definitely waiting for reviews from those who play it.
Black Lives Matter
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Unagi wrote:So, the one thing from those screenshots that gives me pause, and makes me think it will indeed end up feeling mostly 'settlers' like is just those unrealistic neat stacks of resources piled up in the yards.

Otherwise, this has a great 'feel' to it (graphics-wise), and I'm also interested.
Is stacking things a post-medieval technology?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Gryndyl wrote:
Unagi wrote:So, the one thing from those screenshots that gives me pause, and makes me think it will indeed end up feeling mostly 'settlers' like is just those unrealistic neat stacks of resources piled up in the yards.

Is stacking things a post-medieval technology?
I believe it was developed in the Renaissance, specifically by Da Vinci.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Lorini wrote:The last single developer game I played, Stardrive, was not very good. While I like the genre, I'm definitely waiting for reviews from those who play it.
That's where the Let's Play video was helpful. He seems to genuinely enjoy it.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Here's the link to the first Let's Play video: Banished Let's Play #01 - Starting Out (City Building Strategy)

This reminds me a lot of the Stronghold series.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Just posted: Banished, Questions and Answers...

Lately I’ve been getting a lot of email and questions about the game that have answers scattered around, but they aren’t easy to find. So with that in mind, I’ve put together a place for frequently asked questions to be answered. Here’s the answers to the most common questions I’ve gotten lately. I’ll add more as they come up.

When will Banished be available for purchase?
Banished will be released on February 18th, 2014

How much will the game cost?
The game will cost $19.99 USD.

Where can Banished be purchased?
You can buy Banished here on the Shining Rock Software website through use of the Humble Widget. You’ll get a DRM-Free version, as well as an optional Steam key. You can also buy it from Steam, the Humble Store, or gog.com.

How big is the download?
The DRM free version is around 105 megabytes. The Steam version is slightly bigger.

What are the system requirements to play Banished?

Minimum:
Processor: 2 GHz Dual Core processor
Memory: 512 MB RAM
Graphics: 512 MB DirectX 9.0c compatible card (SM 2.0+)
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Hard Drive: 150 MB available space
Sound Card: Any

Recommended:
Processor: 2 GHz Dual Core processor (or greater)
Memory: 512 MB RAM
Graphics: 512 MB DirectX 10 compatible card
DirectX: Version 11
Hard Drive: 150 MB available space
Sound Card: Any

Is the game available for Mac or Linux?
Banished is currently only for PC’s running Windows. However, I’d like to make Mac, Linux, and SteamOS versions in the future.

Can I mod the game?
A mod kit is is being worked on and will be released sometime after Banished goes on sale. The initial version of the game won’t have mod support.

What languages are available for the game?
English is currently the only supported language. When available, the mod kit will allow the community to create translations and language packs.

Can I beta test the game?
Since the game is close to release and ready to be shipped, I have no need for more beta testers. After release I’ll be pushing test patches and content into a beta branch on Steam before they go public to everyone. At that point I’ll be happy to have help making sure the patches, the mod kit, and new releases function properly.

Will there be more features added to Banished in the future?
It’s possible, but undecided at the moment. I have a lot of ideas for expansions but I also want to prototype and make new games as well. The focus after release is going to be on the mod-kit and ports to other platforms. After that’s done I’ll decide what’s next.

Does the game have multiplayer? Will it ever have multiplayer?
Banished does not have multiplayer. The code for Banished wasn’t built with multiplayer in mind, so it’s very unlikely that it will be added in the future.

Can I make videos of Banished and put them on YouTube and Twitch? Can I monetize the videos?
Yes. Shining Rock Software gives permission for the players of Banished to make videos of gameplay and publish them to YouTube, Twitch.TV or other similar video services. You are free to monetize the videos through partner programs that allow advertisements.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Wow, small install, I don't remember the last time I saw a game that was under 1GB in disk space!
Isgrimnur wrote:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'da hoped for more interaction with neighbors and the wilds but I think I'll pay my $20 for this anyway. The dev looks like he's got a good handle on things and I'd like to support that to see if he can get me something more epic later.

That said, it looks like I could enjoy the game as a sort of mindless way to let the day roll off my back like sim city did way back in the day.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

LordMortis wrote:That said, it looks like I could enjoy the game as a sort of mindless way to let the day roll off my back like sim city did way back in the day.
Exactly my thoughts. Sometimes I just want something that is more than just run and gun, but not a more complex challenge than, say, Civ5. I'm just hoping that it is as polished as I've seen in the gameplay videos.

Watching those videos reminded me of the city builders put out by Sierra Studios and Impressions Games like Pharaoh. Except of course without the combat.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Went in and watched all of Quill18's Banished vids. I can't remember the last time I watched more than five minutes of someone else play a game, and even then I rarely ever do that. Really looking forward to this one.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kelric wrote:Went in and watched all of Quill18's Banished vids. I can't remember the last time I watched more than five minutes of someone else play a game, and even then I rarely ever do that. Really looking forward to this one.

I did that as well. And he's not very good or very entertaining. I just need a new a game and I pointless city builder is about my speed. So much so I went back and was trying to figure out if I wanted to buy a city builder game while I wait. OO seemed recommend Anno 2070 short of DRM and then I saw complete was still $49.99 and can only be installed three times (while I'd probably not ever install it three times, the principle and the price talked me out of it)

I almost bought Prison Architect to hold me over. I probably should have. I've come this >< close to buying that game a dozen times since all y'all started talking about it.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I don't think the 3 time activation limit is true. I've reinstalled it 4 or 5 times. but yeah, I'd wait for a price drop as I'm sure it can be had for cheaper
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I, too, don't remember the 3 times install rule for Anno 2070. What it DOES require is a log in to the server to play.

I'm grabbing Banished (said in the Shakesperean way, Banish-ed) as soon as it releases. Which should be pretty soon!
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

baelthazar wrote:I, too, don't remember the 3 times install rule for Anno 2070. What it DOES require is a log in to the server to play.

I'm grabbing Banished (said in the Shakesperean way, Banish-ed) as soon as it releases. Which should be pretty soon!
It does, but I did an experiment once where I unplugged my Internet after I started playing and it continued to play
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

Regarding Anno 2070, according to Section 6 of this info in .pdf format there are unlimited online activations to any one PC and you can play a single-player game offline.

Back on topic, I am looking forward to the release of Banished and am happy to see that there is a DRM-Free version of it available.
The education of a man is never completed until he dies. --Robert E. Lee
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

LordMortis wrote:
Kelric wrote:Went in and watched all of Quill18's Banished vids. I can't remember the last time I watched more than five minutes of someone else play a game, and even then I rarely ever do that. Really looking forward to this one.

I did that as well. And he's not very good or very entertaining. I just need a new a game and I pointless city builder is about my speed. So much so I went back and was trying to figure out if I wanted to buy a city builder game while I wait.
Agreed on the first two parts. If this game is as fun as it seems, it looks like I'll play it for years. I come back to Caesar 3 and Settlers 3 every year for a week or two, and I hope that this joins them.

Speaking of, I need to get around to re-installing C3.....
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

And who releases a game the day after a three day weekend?! BAH! :grund:

Edit - Watching quill18's Banished #15, and man he's an idiot sometimes. A tornado rips through his town clearly demolishing a swath of trees and a minute or two later he's going 'I'm surprised the tornado didn't take out any trees' and a few minutes after that 'Why are all these trees gone? Did I clear cut them? I don't remember that.' :grund:

Edit edit - Okay, he FINALLY realized the tornado may have taken out the trees.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kelric wrote:AEdit - Watching quill18's Banished #15, and man he's an idiot sometimes.
He was on 12 when I left off. I can believe I've spend six hours watching him play. It makes no sense. I'm not even wasting six hours gaming. I'm wasting six hours watching someone else play a game for me.

And yeah, it's like I'm that guy watching TV. I find myself having to refrain from kibbitzing frustrartion at my screen. I guess it's good practice in not being a douche to someone else' game.

Finally, I don't know about Anno 2070 installs in reality. I know that Steam is telling my $50 would get this:
3rd-party DRM: TAGES™
3 machine activation limit