Command: Modern Air Naval Operations

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Chrisoc13

Re: Command: Modern Air Naval Operations

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Dang, this is some serious obsession... I mean I've been burned by some bad games I have bought (some really, really bad games even) but to get this obsessed over it? Most impressive.
Vincenzo_Beretta

Post by Vincenzo_Beretta »

Herman Hum wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:If anyone really hates the game so danged much, why continue to waste time on it?
Because I hold out hope that someday it won't be a waste of time. There aren't many, but there are games that have had very long and painful gestation periods. One notable example is Point of Attack 2, by HPS Simulations.
Hearts of Iron 3 is another good example. The original version was painful to even look at. The current "Their Finest Hour" expansion plus the last patch (4.02) is addicting. And I still have to try the mods, like BlackIce, which, they tell me, improve the experience even more (*)

Regarding naval warfare simulators, Harpoon 3 (for single player) and ANW (for multiplayer) are still the best games around. Sadly, they are also very buggy and, right now, no one thinks that they will ever be fixed. This left Command as the last hope of those who like this kind of games - and we all see how it turned out.

Regarding "being obsessed", it is not an obsession: for every 342,894 "Bulge" games you have one modern naval warfare one - so you are forced to hope that this single shot will hit the target - and, in the case of a miss, that the developers will adjust the aim (instead of lying about the referee). Up to now the fans had been not only unlucky - but target of campaigns of disinformations and slander. Basically, from my vantage point and including this last observations, it would seem that nailing a good modern naval warfare seems impossible...

...BUT...

...Then we see gems like "Armored Brigade": single developer (Juha Kellokoski), open alpha and beta-testing, open database (basically everything the Command team failed to do). Maybe one day someone will do for modern naval warfare what Juha Kellokoski did for land modern warfare - and our hope is that all the "wisdom" we gathered by examining and detailing where Harpoon and Command failed will help him.

(*) Of course you first have to admit that your game has serious problems - which I don't think it will happen with Command.
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Wow :lol:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

WYBaugh wrote:Wow :lol:
Yeah, I'm outta this thread, too much bullcrap being thrown around. You can look up a few posts and see my opinions. Life is too short to read to spend time reading this kind of stuff.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Rip

Post by Rip »

I guess I am the weird guy. I live for threads like this. You can't buy entertainment like this.

It's like watching a cockfight without the blood and gore to get you sick to your stomach.

:ninja:
tgb

Post by tgb »

Rip wrote:I guess I am the weird guy. I live for threads like this. You can't buy entertainment like this.

It's like watching a cockfight without the blood and gore to get you sick to your stomach.

That's the problem. Can't you fly these guys out to your place and put them in that Octagon you have in the back yard? Do a Twitch broadcast and sell tickets. I'd buy one. :pop:
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Rip

Post by Rip »

tgb wrote:
Rip wrote:I guess I am the weird guy. I live for threads like this. You can't buy entertainment like this.

That's the problem. Can't you fly these guys out to your place and put them in that Octagon you have in the back yard? Do a Twitch broadcast and sell tickets. I'd buy one. :pop:
Sadly, Louisiana isn't the cockfight paradise it once was. Even if I could pull it off I think there is a legal limit on the minimum size of the cocks involved anyways.

:D
Vincenzo_Beretta

tgb wrote:

A procedure also known as "bring back the quiet on this forum, and let liars lie" :wink:

Don't worry: as soon as the Unspeakable Game developers will see that the forum people are doing their job for free, they will quietly retreat. This will leave YOU in the octagon: no need for you to buy tickets. :D
Rip

Post by Rip »

No problem, the octo is where we live in case you hadn't noticed. Doesn't matter whether it is Octogon, Octopod, We are so Octo that we even have an few octoroon amonst us. We also tend to use the octothorpe a lot.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

I get a kick out of it elsewhere, just not at OO.

Doesn't matter, there isn't anything for them to discuss. If the developer is smart they would just stay away and let the thread sizzle to a close.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Dopamine wrote:Agree, my post was out of line. I have altered it. Thank you for setting me straight.
No your post was still out of line and was hateful -- I've modified your post for you. Please refrain from that kind of behaviour again -- We've got some members that have Aspergers that so far have outclassed you guys, made more sense and also don't beat a dead horse to death.

I'm over this pissing contest, please take it elsewhere.
No.
tgb

Post by tgb »

These guys have invaded three of the forums I visit several times a day, dragging their bullshit in with them.

It must be me. Perhaps I should change my underwear, even though it's still only October.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Vincenzo_Beretta

EDIT: :tjg:
Last edited by FishPants on Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Last warning for everyone involved in this pissing contest. Ban hammer incoming.
No.
Dimitris

Canary, North Cape, Baltic & Colombia: Nine new CMANO scenar

Post by Dimitris »

Miguel Molina has released a new revision of the Command community scenario pack, the compendium of Command scenarios crafted by the user community. The new release contains nine brand-new scenarios:

DACEX-14, 2014 : Each year the Spanish Air Force organize a multinational air-to-air combat exercise in the Canary Island. In addition to the local fighter squadron based in the Islands and others Spanish squadrons deploying fighters and support assets, several allied and NATO air forces send different aircrafts. You are the Joint Forces Air Component Commander (JFACC) of the Iberian Coalition and have full authority over a complex combined air component to fulfill just one order: to gain air superiority over the Canary Island. Are you up to the task?

Northern Fury 5 – Bardufoss Blues, 1994 : Day two of a new global war. As commander of Allied Forces North, you are re-grouping your surviving units and bringing in new reinforcements as fast as you can get them. Your available aircraft are severely depleted, your pilots are tired, your ground crews are exhausted, your stock of AAW missiles is draining rapidly. Your grudgingly considering a further withdraw of forces to the South. The situation on land is stable, Soviet ground forces have linked up with the airborne forces at Banak but have not proceeded much beyond that. You must inflict damage and slow the Soviet progress.

Northern Fury 5.5 – Trondheim Express, 1994 : The war has already gone badly. You are commander of Allied Forces North, and the situation went from being bad yesterday to disastrous this morning! You staff have focused on re-grouping your surviving units and bringing in new reinforcements as fast as possible. A major Soviet push this morning has forced your air units South, effectively closing Bardufoss, and Tromso, Evenes is still open but barely. Your heavily depleted air units have scrambled back to Bodo where 3 Norwegian and 1 Dutch F-16 squadrons with the F-15s of the US 493rd FS are attempting to hold back hundreds of Soviet A/C. The one bright spot is the arrival of a British Jaguar and 2 USAF F-16 squadrons. The situation on land is equally bad, Soviet ground forces have linked up with the airborne forces at Banak. Airmobile operation NE of Bardufoss this morning seized the passes and dislocated the units there - Bardufoss will fall in the next few hours, it is already under artillery fire. The Maritime situation is improving marginally, the Norwegian Navy has put to sea and STANAVFORLANT is moving to assist. You need to prevent the Soviet amphibious force from reaching Trondheim.

Battle Ocean ‘64 – Baltic Convoy, 1964 : This scenario assumes that an anti-Soviet rebellion erupted in Poland during the summer of 1964.  West Germany has decided to send a convoy with humanitarian aid to the Polish town of Kołobrzeg, currently the only port in Poland under rebel control.  Not surprisingly, the Soviet Union does not want this mission to succeed.

Battle Ocean ‘64 – North Sea ASW, 1964 : This scenario builds off the events in Battle Ocean '64 -- Baltic Convoy. West Germany's decision in August to send a convoy to aid Polish rebels has had results that concern the international community. While the convoy arrived safely, shots were fired by both West Germany and the Soviet Union, and both sides experienced losses. The Soviet Union has denounced West Germany's action in the Untied Nations, but its attempt to get a resolution for action in the Security Council was promptly vetoed by the United States and the United Kingdom. Less than a week later, a West German submarine on patrol just outside Polish waters was sunk by Soviet destroyers. The submarine had been in international waters, but the Soviets claimed it had made "threatening manuevers" and has refused to discipline the captain for "considering first and foremost the safety of his ship and his crew, and the interests of his country." NATO countries have warned the Soviet Union that recent events are forcing them to adopt "zero tolerance" policies.  Soviet aircraft violating the airspace of NATO countries, and surface vessels and submarines violating territorial waters of NATO countries, "will be dealt with harshly."

Battle Ocean ‘64 – Teesport Convoy, 1964 : This scenario is part of the Battle Ocean '64 series.  It assumes a limited "tit for tat" naval war has erupted between the Soviet Union and some of the nations in NATO. At present, the United States is playing a difficult game of diplomacy, talking with the Soviets to prevent escalation, talking to their allies in NATO to assure them that if a larger war erupts, America will stand with them. The events leading up to this scenario begin with a German convoy sending humanitarian aid to rebels in Poland in August.  The convoy came under attack, but arrived in Poland with minimal losses.  Days later, a German submarine was sunk by Soviet forces.  A couple of weeks later, in September, two Soviet submarines discovered off the coast of Scotland were sunk by British forces, which then came under attack by Soviet ships and aircraft.  Both sides have taken losses; both sides have drawn blood. The Soviet Union has stated that the "vicious and barbaric actions of the West will not be tolerated" and has threated to attack British shipping headed for Germany.  The United Kingdom has declared that such actions will be considered "nothing less than an act of war, and while the Soviets should understand we have no intention of threatening their homeland, neither will we accept any nation's attempt to deny us the freedom of the seas."

Operation Sombrero de Copa, 2000 : Tensions are mounting again in the Falklands. A British radar station being built on West Falkland and increasing Argentine economic difficulties leads to clashes resuming. But this time Argentina opts to use more covert means –specifically, submarine-delivered commandos - to accomplish its goals.

Operation Slam Gray, 1957 : The Dominican Republic was ruled for many years by a brutal dictator, General Rafael Trujillo. In history, Trujillo was assassinated in 1960. This scenario assumes that the assassination took place in 1957, and that in the chaos that followed a pro-Soviet government came to power in the Dominican Republic. The new government was immediately recognized by the Soviet Union, and rapidly given significant military aid. In accordance with the principles of the Monroe doctrine, the US government considered this an intolerable situation. A small task force centered on the carrier Intrepid is assembled to interdict all Soviet-backed forces in the area.

Jean Moulin Rouge, 1994 : This scenario assumes that tensions increased between France and Colombia in the early 1990s. The main cause is that a number of French fishing boats have not respected restrictions in Colombian fisheries and that France has not responded quickly or harshly enough to this problem to satisfy Colombia.  The problem took a rapid turn for the worse a few weeks before this scenario takes place when a French fishing boat was stopped for an inspection by a Colombian naval patrol boat; somehow, gunfire erupted and in the ensuing battle two French fishermen were killed and two Colombian sailors were seriously injured. Colombia has clamped down on the number of foreign boats allowed to enter its waters and has started aggressively patrolling the entire Caribbean looking for fishing boats engaged in illegal activities. The French government has decided to keep a close watch on Colombian activities in the Caribbean to ensure the safety and free passage of French citizens living and working in the region.

As always, the community scenario pack is available for download at the WarfareSims download section: http://www.warfaresims.com/?page_id=1876

With the new scenario pack release, the total number of released Command scenarios is now 203!
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Command v1.06 - The new features Part I : http://www.warfaresims.com/?p=3539
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Command v1.06 - The new features Part II :

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Steam Sale has it -38% $79.99 $49.59 through the end of the sale. I'd be surprised if it hits any lower deal, but would still recomend until the afternoon of January 1st to pull the trigger just to be sure.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Fox Three, Good Kill: Command v1.06 has been released: http://www.warfaresims.com/?p=3612

Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Steam sale back on! Almost 40% off until January 2:

The Matrix sale (-37%) is ongoing until January 11 :
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Following the release of the massive v1.06 update, and concurrent with the ongoing Matrix and Steam holiday sales, Miguel Molina has delivered the final Christmas gift: A new revision of the Command community scenario pack, the compendium of Command scenarios crafted by the user community. The new release contains sixteen brand-new scenarios:

Old Feuds Have Now returned, 2014 : Instead of a vote for unity, the Scottish have voted for independence. Then the real troubles began. The rise in oil prices was just an illusion, a short one driven by jitters after the Oman-Pakistan war rather than any serious change in supply and demand. Both countries’ economies sank after the messy, calamitous split. The pro-UK Shetland Islands held a referendum of their own, and since maritime boundaries determined who could control the resources, this was a problem. Warships were sent, the first shots were fired, and wars between the English and Scots have come back.

Sink The Nautica, 1977 : The Canadian naval forces in the mid-70s have seen some very lean years. All but four of the major surface warships are based upon designs more than two-decades old, the venerable CS-2F Trackers have lost their ASW capabilities and the CP-107 Argus LRMP’s are now long in the tooth and overdue for replacement. A Canadian version of the P-3 Orion is on order but delivery of the CP-140 Aurora is still some years away. However, even with the material shortcomings the personnel are well trained and the available “O” Class submarines are worked up and ready. Now there’s a general war against the Warsaw Pact and protecting Canadian waters has to compete with NATO tasks for scarce ships and planes. Into this unsatisfactory defensive situation sails an aggressive Soviet submarine.

Operation Charming Truth, 1985 : A coup in Sudan has led to widespread chaos and violence in that country. The Sudanese government believes that some American civilians are organizing anti-government protests, and prepares to crack down – hard. The United States has decided to evacuate Americans from Sudan.

Operation Lawful Destroyer, 1985 : This scenario assumes that a coup has taken place in Tanzania in the early 1980s and that the new government is hostile to Western allies like Kenya. The Constellation carrier group is ordered to neutralize Tanzanian forces by striking at Ngerengere airbase and any targets of opportunity.

Operation Lawful Avenger, 1985 : A variation on Lawful Destroyer, with different weather conditions and enemy compositions & strengths.

Raid on Bir Morghein, 2020 : This scenario assumes that in the near future tensions have increased between Morocco and Mauritania. The situation has been exacerbated by the fact that China has recently sold military aircraft to Mauritania, giving it for the first time in many years a way to control the skies over the disputed area of the Western Sahara.

Terrorists In Anjar, 1984 : An operation that might have been conducted during the war that took place between Israel and Lebanon in the early 1980s. Available IAF air assets at Ramat David AB are tasked with striking at terrorist militia cells deep inside Lebanon, while evading Syrian air defences.

The Escort Division, 1962 : A US Navy Escort Division composed of old WWII Destroyer Escorts manned by hastily recalled reservists brings a supply convoy to an isolated Iceland. Designed as a light ASW/minesweeper mission inspired by the 1962-1963 Jane's Fighting Ships edition. Also designed for maximum replayability with random starting positions for most forces.

Incident at Le Perouse Strait, 2014 : The islands in North of Japan have been always a matter of conflict between Russia and Japan. The Russian Pacific Fleet is deployed near Le Perouse Strait in a exercise which is closely monitored by Japanese submarines. This kind of situations could develop in serious incidents. The scenario features the new Japanese ‘Carrier’ destroyers with a complement of F-35s against the new Russian naval units.

The Soviet Test, 1964 : The Soviet Union, looking to expand the reach of its naval fleet, has drawn ire from its recent close approaches to the Philippines, Guam and now the Hawaiian Islands. Fearing that the Soviets may uncover the recent nuclear testing at Johnston Atoll, the US places CTF75 in the region to detect and deter the Soviets from encroaching the region and possibly testing their capability of a first strike on the Hawaiian Islands.

Air Battle over Beraf-Kucove, 2020 : A civil war erupts in Albania in 2020. After several months of ferocious fighting, the two sides have drifted into an uneasy cease fire. However, North Albania has used the lull in the fighting to negotiate arms deals with Serbia and Russia. Concerned with the direction the war was taking, and its implications for the region, Greece has sold a number of older Mirage fighters and other military equipment to South Albania.

Those Who Hunt Goblins, 1973 : The Yom Kippur war is in full swing. Both the USN and Red Banner Fleets have rushed naval reinforcements into the Med and with the two navies operating at close proximity, the possibility for accident or opportunity sneak attack is considered very great. For the first time since the 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis the US has set DEFCON-3. The only significant naval force to protect the Eastern Seaboard of the United States is the Intrepid Battle Group with her hybrid air group and ad hoc collection of escorts. This would not normally be an issue but the crisis in the Med has siphoned off most of the SSNs that normally track and trail the Soviet SSBNs operating in the Western Atlantic. The plots for at least two Soviet Yankee-class ballistic missile submarines operating near the American coast have been lost. Can the Intrepid group re-acquire the boomers and keep tabs on them without further escalating the standoff into a possible WW3?

Red Flag, 2017 : Red Flag is a world famous exercise held multiple times per year at Nellis AFB, Nevada. It is the "mother of all Flags" and features everything a fighter pilot can wish for in an exercise: dedicated adversary fighters, lots of SAM transmitters, good airspace, and plenty of live bombing targets. It focuses primarily on fighter aircraft working together in COMAO packages to accomplish challenging objectives. Two missions (one day, one night) are flown each day for two weeks, with various assignments, such as Defensive Counter Air, Air Interdiction, Escort, Dynamic Targeting, combinations of the above and more.

DCA Mini-EX, 2012 : A joint air-defence exercise pits the combined USAFE / Danish AF forces against OPFOR invaders from the Scandinavian north.

Death of the Belgrano, 1982 : After following the ARA General Belgrano task group for one day and four hours, the British nuclear submarine HMS Conqueror receives permission from the Royal Navy Command to intercept and sink the Argentine cruiser. If possible, his escorts too. The green signal was given.

The Fighter-Bomber Aviation Regiment, 1987 : You are the regimental commander of the 236th APIB, an elite Soviet MiG-27K regiment stationed in Hradcany-Mimon Air Base, Czechoslovakia. You have just been given your top-secret orders: War has abruptly broken out, without prior warning. According to established warplans, your assigned targets are a range of high-priority NATO installations. You have one hour to prepare your first airstrike of the war.

Many of the new scenarios, as well as some rebuilt versions of existing ones, make extensive use of the new v1.06 features.

As always, the community scenario pack is available for download at the WarfareSims download section: http://www.warfaresims.com/?page_id=1876

With the new scenario pack release, the total number of released Command scenarios is now 219!
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Miguel Molina has posted a new revision of the Command community scenario pack, the compendium of Command scenarios crafted by the user community. The new release contains several scenario updates plus six brand-new scenarios:

Boston's Battle, 1963 : This is an "alternate" scenario to Boston's Brawl, 1963. The assumption is that the American Surface Action Group centered around the Boston is on patrol off the coast of West Africa, instead of being in the South Atlantic, and is called upon to destroy a Soviet Surface Action Group.

One Final Old-fashioned Banana War, 1947 : An economic slump in Mexico following the end of the WWII commodity boom leads to political unrest in the country, and thus the US military finds itself heading south once again, this time at the request of the Mexican government.

Best of the West, Worst of the East, 1982 : Thanks to recently-declassified documents we now know that, had the Cold War escalated to a superpower conflict, the Soviet Navy would preferably keep its modern nuclear submarines in close escort to their all-important strategic missile subs in their bastions, and instead send their modern diesel subs to interdict NATO resupply lines. So as the turbulent early 80s spin up to a bonafide crisis, the Red Banner Northern Fleet's diesel sub force puts out to sea to challenge NATO's awesome anti-submarine screens..... and you are in command.

Rollback - The First of Many, 1998 : The US military attempts to get rid of Saddam Hussain's regime via a number of active measures, first and foremost being a series of carrier-launched strategic strikes. This hypothetical scen features the A/F-117 "Seahawk", a carrier-suitable variant of the F-117 that was nearly adopted by the US Navy in the late 90s.

Rollback - Hoisting the Net, 1998 : In addition to airstrikes, the US Navy took other measures to isolate the Hussain regime, one such being the identification and interdiction of supplies headed for Iraq. The USS Denton has been tasked to identify and seize a large container ship enroute to the port of Latakia. Will this be a run-of-mill call?

Birmingham Strikes, 1992 : Sierra Leone has plunged into a brutal civil war with the deaths of tens of thousands. The rebels, known as the Revolutionary United Front (RUF) were infamous because of the atrocities they committed. The RUF captured a large number of weapons from Sierra Leone (and later from some of the UN peacekeepers dispatched to the area), but received further assistance and material from outside countries such as Libya. In this not-so-hypothetical scenario a small British task group centered on the destroyer HMS Birmingham is tasked to disrupt RUF operation in its vicinity.

With the new scenario pack release, the total number of released Command scenarios is now 225!
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Miguel Molina has posted a new revision of the Command community scenario pack, the compendium of Command scenarios crafted by the user community. The new release contains several scenario updates plus ten brand-new scenarios:

Caribbean March 21st, 2022: Venezuela has attacked the islands of Curacao and Aruba and occupied them. The Dutch government has launched a counter-offensive to retake the islands. You are in command of the Dutch TF and the Air Force Base at St. Maarten, stocked with new F-35s. But Venezuelan forces are similarly upgraded with fresh Chinese equipment. Can you take the islands back?

Carrier Battle Group ASW Test, 1984: It has been said that a carrier’s biggest threat is not aircraft, but submarines. Time to put this theory to test. Multiple Soviet submarine threats are expected in the path of a CVBG. The CVBG needs to transit the area and defend itself at all times.

Etendards in Her Majesty’s Face, 1982: The Falklands conflict has gone on longer than it did historically. Having run out of Exocet missiles, the Argentines now prepare their Super Etendards for an attack on the British task force using conventional bombs.

The Irish-Spanish Fish War, 2015: Tensions have increased between Ireland and Spain. Ireland has responded by closing its Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) to Spanish fishing boats. However, there have been reports of Spanish trawlers continuing to fish in Irish waters, and that Spain has even sent military vessels to make sure its fishing boats are not harassed. Ireland, not surprisingly, considers this a breach of international law and a gross provocation.

Mission of the Ile De Sein, 2015: The waters surrounding Île de Sein are part of a protected seascape lying within France's 200-mile Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ). The responsibilities the French navy include protecting these natural resources from poaching, illegal dumping of chemicals, and other threats. This authority is now being challenged by Russian organized crime.

Regulus, 1961: The Berlin Crisis is smoldering. Sneak a Regulus missile submarine through the Kurils and be prepared to conduct a nuclear strike on the industrial sites in Komsomolsk-na-amur. Naturally, Soviet forces in the area are on high alert.

The Battle of Mitu, 1995: This scenario assumes that violence from the FARC conflict with Colombia has spilled over into Brazil. Brazilian citizens have been kidnapped and killed. Among other crimes, FARC is blamed for the brutal murders of a Brazilian police captain and his family. FARC currently occupies the Colombian town of Mitú, close to the Colombia-Brazilian border. Brazil has decided to raid this FARC stronghold.

The Battle of Seogeom-Ri, 2015: South Korean and North Korean forces are clashing again. At stake is the South Korean island of Seogeom-ri, which lies close to the border between the two countries.

The Five Powers, 2020: China has been aggressively pushing it's territorial claims in the South China Sea for over a decade, by the late 2010s it has begun to push those claims ever farther to the south and east. In response the Malaysia activates the Five Powers Defense Agreement; with Singapore, Australia, and New Zealand immediately retasking forces to the assistance of Malaysia, and the UK promising support as soon as possible. Can the Five Powers stem back the Red Tide? (NOTE: A highly entertaining AAR of this scenario can be found here)

The Moheli Crisis, 1999: A bloodless coup took place in Comoros in 1999. This scenario assumes the coup was more violent and chaotic. Rebels have seized control of the island of Mohéli. French nationals living on the island have been taken hostage and the rebels are threatening to kill them unless their demands are met--the rebels believe that France will pressure other factions in the Comoros in order to protect their citizens. As might be expected, France has taken a dim view of these actions and is mobilizing.

Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Coming in v1.07: Mission Editor 2.0 : http://www.warfaresims.com/?p=3653
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Lucky Seven: Command v1.07 has been released! : http://www.warfaresims.com/?p=3718

Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Miguel Molina has posted a new revision of the Command community scenario pack, the compendium of Command scenarios crafted by the user community. The new release contains all existing scenarios updated to the latest databases accompanying the v1.07 release, plus five brand-new scenarios:
  • Probe of Feint, 1963: As Red China edges closer to a usable nuclear weapon, many actors, including the United States, watch with increasing alarm. Eventually pre-emptive action is decided upon - but in a way that will not be obvious...
  • Water Wars, 2017: For over 100 years Bolivia has tried to reacquire territory lost to Chile in a series of conflicts in the late 19th century, particularly the valuable province and port of Antofagasta, which provides access to the Pacific. In December of 2015 the ICJ delivered a shocking verdict that Chile had illegally acquired the land from Bolivia and must provide them sovereign access to the sea in the form of a "national corridor" some 20kms wide. Chile immediately responded negatively. In retaliation, Bolivia built a dam diverting the Silala river, a waterway vital to Chilean economy. The matter will no longer be settled on the courts or negotiating tables...
  • Angamos Goes The Distance, 1980: A Peruvian submarine must conduct a covert extraction of Peruvian government personnel (i.e. spies) from Chile. The Chilean navy will shoot unidentified intruders first and ask questions later.
  • Andaman Sea Clash, 2005: In 2004, tensions between Thailand and Myanmar increased. During the summer of that year, a Thai fishing boat was sunk by a Burmese patrol boat. Seven months later tensions have remained high and Thailand has started to conduct regular patrols in the Andaman Sea to protect Thai fishing boats. Myanmar has not protested this action, but has made it clear that it will not tolerate Thai fishing boats violating its territorial waters or its protected fisheries.
  • Operation Fei Lian, 2019: The baloon is going up in the Korean peninsula - but it's not the conflict that everyone planned and prepared for. Radical elements of the North Korean military are attempting a coup, and back-channel talks with the Chinese leadership lead to Beijing decide to support the rebels. As the General in command of the Shenyang military district, you are ordered to destroy the North Korean air force as well as the NK "strategic" nuclear forces, using the PLAAF assets in your command.
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Miguel Molina has posted a new revision of the Command community scenario pack, the compendium of Command scenarios crafted by the user community. The new release contains nine brand-new scenarios:

They Came From The Museum, 2015: Soviet/Russian tactical aircraft have a long history of 'inexplicably' showing up in various conflicts under the hands of 'rebel', 'advisor' and otherwise non-official pilots. This scenario assumes that the "little green men" in Ukraine take this strong tradition one step further and piece together a hodgepodge air force from various odd sources, including a number of exhibits from the Luhansk Air Museum. How will these Cold War cast-offs and their mysterious pilots fare against Ukrainian air defences?

The Battle of Langkawi, 1973: By 1973, the communist insurgency that erupted in Malaysia has taken control of most of the state of Kedah. They have captured a number of artillery pieces, armored cars, and other military equipment, including a number of aircraft. An international coalition, led by the UK, and including forces from Australia, New Zealand, and Singapore are assisting Malaysia in its fight against the insurgents. However, the Soviet Union, China, India, North Korea, and Cuba have all recognized the self-declared People's Republic of Kedah - and will actively assist it against blockades of its ports in the Kedah region, including the island of Langkawi.

The Clash Of Titans II, 2018: India started the year with intensive naval activity in both Indian Ocean and Arabian sea. The brief Indian incursion into littoral waters of French island Reunion was condemned by French diplomacy. Further diplomatic tension eventually resulted in a double embargo between France and India. A week ago, the French CVBG led by the Charles De Gaulle CV left Toulon naval base and headed to Suez. INS Vikramaditya with its escorts was ordered to head towards the Gulf Of Aden. Politics will continue by other means from now on.

Closing the Kurile Gap (The War That Never Was) - US, 1989: The Soviet Pacific Fleet would have faced a difficult problem with geography if the Cold War ever went hot. Their largest base, Vladivostok, faces the Sea of Japan. Any units transiting to the Pacific either need to pass through the narrow Tsushima Strait, flanked by likely-hostile South Korea and Japan, or they need to head northwest and pass through the disputed Kurile Islands. The other major Soviet naval base, Petropavlovsk, opens to the Pacific. However, it is located at the end of the remote Kamchatka peninsula and has long, vulnerable supply lines. This scenario examines the Soviet Pacific Fleet's ability to break out through the Kuriles, and the US Navy's role in plugging the gap.

Closing the Kurile Gap (The War That Never Was) - USSR, 1989: The Soviet side of the above scenario.

Those Who Face Death, 2014: In this hypothetical "from the headlines" scenario ISIS has captured much more intact military equipment from the Iraqi and Syrian Armies; they also have the technical capabilities to put it to use. Expect to see American, Iraqi, Syrian, Iranian military equipment. You are hunting a convoy of artillery and APCs heading to Mosul from the south before turning west towards the Yazidi camp at Mount Sinjar. You will need to airdrop supplies and parachutists to the Yazidi camp to achieve success. You are sending British and American aircraft from bases in Turkey, Kuwait, and Cyprus.

Log Bridge, 1989: World War III has been raging. The fighting over Keflavik has been so heavy that what remains of the airfield, currently held by NATO, is unusable. At the same time, the fighting in Europe has pl aced demands upon available resources that preclude either side sending long range aircraft to attack or defend Iceland. The fate of Iceland will therefore be decided by a decisive surface battle. The big guns are coming out - literally.

Nuclear Storm, 1991: Desert Storm is underway, and the unthinkable has happened: Saddam's forces have launched chemical attacks on coalition troops, with significant casualties. Now a retaliation is in order - to illustrate within limits that some lines are not to be crossed.

No Time for Mischief, 1995: Mischief Reef is in a disputed area of the South China Sea. In 1995, China angered the Philippines by occupying the reef and constructing structures on it, ostensibly as shelters for fishermen. In history, the matter did not escalate into violent confrontation. This scenario assumes the government of the Philippines has taken a more aggressive approach, assuming that if worst comes to worst they will be backed up by the United States.

Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

The summer is upon us, and Command's creative community is in full swing. Miguel Molina has posted a new revision of the community scenario pack, featuring a blistering fourteen new scenarios!

Busy Day in Burundi, 1976: Widespread unrest has followed a sudden coup in the country, with rebel groups gaining control of military equipment. With the toll of civilian deaths increasing, an international coalition led by France and the United Kingdom has positioned itself to take action. SAS teams on the ground must cooperate with air support to hunt down rebel strongpoints.

Homerun, 1956: From 1952 onwards, RB-47 recon variants of the new B-47 Stratojet bomber started overflying the north of the Soviet Union in photo-recon and ELINT missions. By the mid-50s these flights were getting to be really hazardous as Soviet air defences were becoming both more capable and more agressive. This is such a mission.

Indonesian War #1 - Convoy Lion, 1995: In the 1990s Indonesia became increasingly aggressive about protecting its territorial rights, hunting down rebels in various provinces etc.  Its occupation of Timor has been marked by increasing reports of violence and oppression. This includes an effective blockade of the island, which has led to shortages of food and medicine. The British Parliament voted to support "all reasonable efforts including the use of force to compel Indonesia to allow humanitarian aid to reach Timor." The Australian government passed a similar measure the same day and Australia has been given operational control of the mission. A hastily organized convoy escorted by British and Australian naval units is now en route to the island of Timor. Indonesia has responded by stating that attempts to enter its territorial waters without permission will be treated as an act of war.

Indonesian War #2 - Air Battle Over Java, 1995: Indonesia attempted to stop the joint Australian-UK convoy and hostilities took place on April 17, 1995. As a result, the British and Australian governments have decided to eliminate Indonesia's ability to attempt further attacks against their ships and aircraft. The first and perhaps most important step in achieving this goal is to cripple Indonesia's air force.

Indonesian War #3 - Spartan Goes Hunting, 1995: After inflicting serious losses on Indonesia's navy and air force, the governments of Australia and the United Kingdom have decided to employ commerce raiding to put economic pressure on Indonesia and force them to sue for peace. As part of this, the nuclear submarine HMS Spartan been given a free hand.

Better Bullets (AMRAAM), 1987: With development of the AMRAAM missile undergoing the all-too-common teething problems, an exercise is being held to justify its importance. This is an exercise presenting the possibility of a hostile air power using a similar missile against the USAF. The opponent is armed with advanced AMRAAMs and crewed by expert pilots, so expect a brutally difficult fight.

Better Bullets (SARH), 1987: With development of the AMRAAM missile undergoing the all-too-common teething problems, an exercise is being held to justify its importance. In this variant the opponent is armed with SARH weapons only (like the AIM-7 and AA-10) and crewed by expert pilots, so expect a difficult fight.

Kuril Islands, 1999: Japan has established a major seabed-mining operation 20 nmi west of the island of Kunashiri. Hostilities between Japanese Maritime Defense Force (JMDF) and Russian forces have broken out over economic rights concerning the Kuril Islands.  Russian Naval forces have established a formidable blockading surface and submarine units also supported by several squadrons of long range strike aircraft based out of airfields. You are in tactical control of all U.S. forces which include USAF land-based aircraft and JMDF forces in the area. You must defend your forces against attack and take control of as much territory as possible, until a United Nations settlement can be negotiated.

Offensive CAP Belarus, 2015: Backed by Russia, Belarus has invaded Poland’s eastern provinces in force. Further Russian forces will be brought into action when the Belorusian Army’s offensive stalls. The USAF 555th Fighter Squadron (555 FS, 24 F-16C) and the Polish 40th Tactical Squadron (40.ELT, 24 Su-22M4) have been tasked to strike key logistic and support sites in Belarus to complicate enemy reinforcement efforts. They will be supported by a NATO E-3 Sentry and four EA-18Gs from the US Navy’s VAQ-139. Your task is to provide air cover for the operation using the 18 Typhoon FGR.4s of 1 Sqdn RAF. Enemy air activity is expected to be heavy.

Bay Of Bengal, 1999: India has mobilized amphibious assault forces again Sri Lanka. The US embassy in Sri Lanka is urging all Americans to leave the country. The Indian CVBG is operating in the Gulf of Mannar. Russia and China have deployed naval bombers to India. Indian submarine activity in the region is significant. Sri Lanka fears Indian military buildup in preparation to final invasion force and collapse of the government. The United Nations has requested that a U.S. CVBG be sent to the area to stabilize the region. All Indian naval forces are considered hostile.

Operation Black Buck 1, 1982: The Falklands conflict begins in earnest. As the Royal Navy Task Force arrives to enforce a 200nm exclusion zone around the islands, RAF Vulcans fly the longest-range bombing mission in history to date, to fire the opening shots of the war.

April Storm #1 - The New Eastern Front, 1996: Boris Yeltsin was removed from power in late 1995. His replacement, a former general in the Red Army, has set an aggressive tone for the new Russia. In the first week of April 1996, Russia and Belarus invaded parts of eastern Poland. About one quarter of Poland is now under Russian control. The UN has been unable to effect any change. NATO has warned Russia that the current situation is intolerable and that it must withdraw from Poland or face serious consequences.

French Forces in the Gulf of Sidra, 1981: France frequently skirmished with Libya in various flashpoints in northern Africa (e.g. Chad) during the 1980s. In this hypothetical scenario, Libya raises the stakes by directly attacking a French naval task group in the Gulf of Sidra.

Boston's Brawl, 1963: Hostilities broke out between NATO and the Warsaw Pact in late 1963. A small force centered on the missile cruiser Boston is tasked with prosecuting all WP forces in its patrol area, between the Falkland islands and Argentina.

With the new additions, the number of total released scenarios now stands at 262!
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

This is currently on sale for $40 for the next couple of days as part of the steam sale.

Should I consider this game? I've never played Harpoon, and don't often play war games, but I remember enjoying The Operational Art of War games.
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

If you like TOAW then this should be a fine match. Command is in many ways "TOAW for air/naval stuff" (insanely huge breadth and depth, for starters), and you can see quite a few of the ideas that made TOAW great (such as the powerful event editor) present on Command too.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

OK. Going to check some reviews, as it's still a very big price tag (though, I'm guessing, likely the best one we'll see for years), but this at least gives me reason to seriously consider getting it.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I would consider it at that price if I knew there was a decent tutorial or something that would allow the totally ignorant to ease in. Right now it looks like something I would install, look at in confusion for 15 minutes or so, and never start up again.
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

See our "Getting started" thread, which includes a whole range of tutorial videos: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3607586
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

And 1.... and 2.... and 3.....
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

It seems that Command was unlocked yesterday on the Steam sale @ 50% off.

So if you want to grab it, I think its worth $40.
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
tgb

Post by tgb »

Dimitris wrote:See our "Getting started" thread, which includes a whole range of tutorial videos: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3607586
That's not going to help me, as I retain very little of what I see in tutorial videos. I need something hands on that I can follow along with. Even a printed guide that says "Send your fighter here, Dummy" would be of more help.