Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak formally Homeworld: Breakers

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak formally Homeworld: Breakers

Post by Daehawk »

Was called Hardware but now has been renamed Homeworld Breakers because it has officially been accepted into the Homeworld games world.

Home page

Preview @ Rock, Paper, Shotgun

NEWS This is the link where they talk about getting to be part of the Homeworld series.
Yes, Gearbox have loaned Blackbird, a startup made from former-Homeworld devs and others, the right to call their fantastic-looking RTS Homeworld: Shipbreakers. Fashionable news shapes over at Polygon report that a deal was signed at PAX last week:
VIDEO game play preview.

Another VIDEO of prospecting.

Im ready for this...NOW!

EDIT: Oh and there are beta signups there on the home page. :)
Last edited by Daehawk on Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Turtle

Re: Homeworld:Breakers / Hardware:Breakers - new Homeworld g

Post by Turtle »

I was actually in the alpha for a while from when I hung out at the Relicnews site. Sadly, due to time commitments and a conflict of interest after starting my own game, I had to leave.

It was really interesting though. Even on the ground, the Homeworld feel came through. We don't have that style of RTS anymore, so I'm glad this project has not only survived, but is now thriving with actual publisher money, from Gearbox no less.

The vehicles and combat really are what you'd expect for ground combat in Homeworld.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya im not a big fan of Homeworld but I did find it inovative and it brought out a feeling that other games didn't.

Watching the videos I got that Homeworld feeling again even though it's ground based. The movements, the sounds, the look, and the style of vehicles. I like it.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Wasn't homeworld a space rts?
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

It was, but this is a prequel in the same universe
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

As you all know by now its been name finalized as Homeworld: Shipbreakers. Its looking fun. Im holding off on the Homeworld remastered because this game looks more fun to me.

There is now a beta signup form linked on their homepage. They dont know if there will be one but just in case you can sign up...I did.

Homepage

Little page at Gearbox

Shipbreakers WIKI

Enlarge Image

Videos:

ep1
ep2
ep3

Teaser
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

They changed the name again and issued an announcement trailer. Its now called Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak.

Homepage

Dec 2015 new announcement trailer
The planet is dying, but deep in the southern sands of Kharak, an anomaly has been discovered. Could Kharak’s salvation lie in the desert? Led by chief science officer Rachel S’jet, the Coalition of the Northern Kiithid sends an expedition deep within enemy-controlled territory to investigate the finding, which could forever seal the fate of humanity.
Pre-order now on Steam and receive a FREE copy of Homeworld Remastered Collection! Existing Homeworld Remastered Collection owners will instead receive 20% off their Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak pre-orders.

Enlarge Image
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

I have a tangential question about Homeworld Remastered. Is it true that in the remastered version when you capture ships they turn back into resources instead of just coming over to your side? I liked the capture aspect in the original because you could get ships you weren't capable of building yet if you had enough capture tugs to drag the thing over.

This looks pretty interesting, but I don't think I'm going to bite the preorder bullet.
There is no hug button. Sad!
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

killbot737 wrote:I have a tangential question about Homeworld Remastered. Is it true that in the remastered version when you capture ships they turn back into resources instead of just coming over to your side? I liked the capture aspect in the original because you could get ships you weren't capable of building yet if you had enough capture tugs to drag the thing over.
I was a fan of capturing everything in the first one, putting them into a sphere formation, and ending up with what amounted to a giant ball of death that I used to bludgeon my way through the game.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

killbot737 wrote:I have a tangential question about Homeworld Remastered. Is it true that in the remastered version when you capture ships they turn back into resources instead of just coming over to your side? I liked the capture aspect in the original because you could get ships you weren't capable of building yet if you had enough capture tugs to drag the thing over.
Not true and I'm not sure where you got that from. You could capture ships in both HW1 and HW2, the game uses the HW2 engine, and the fanbase would have raised holy hell if you couldn't capture ships.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
GreenGoo

Re: Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak formally Homeworld: Breaker

Post by GreenGoo »

Game has my interest. As always, waiting to see what kind of game comes out of development.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

It was a pro rebalance mod for HW1 or 2 that turned captured ships into resources, or maybe cataclysm?

I watched videos and was glad to see that the pacing of the game seems manageable. I was afraid that the game was going to end up like SupCom, Planetary Annihilation, and even the Wargame series where you had all this grand scale stuff, but just ended up playing with everything as tiny dots for 95% of the game. That defeats the point of even making models or effects.

Part of the fun of Homeworld was even though there was scale, and you could zoom out, it didn't move so fast that after giving the attack orders, you couldn't spend a moment to watch and enjoy the cool looking fights unfold (or issue supporting commands while watching).
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

More info and reviews. Also the tutorial and first mission videos. Its called Class Leading now.

http://gamingtrend.com/reviews/homeworl ... thing-new/ 95 score

http://www.gamingnexus.com/Article/5020 ... of-Kharak/ 8.8 score

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
raydude

Post by raydude »

I bought it and played through the first 3 campaign missions. I am liking it so far. Took me a while to remember how I managed the sensor manager, but I am in the groove now. Spacebar to bring up sensor manager, zoom out to see big picture, click on a unit I want, hit "F" to focus on it, spacebar to go back to normal view.
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

I assume (like HW2) that you can give orders while paused?
raydude

Post by raydude »

Nope. You can't pause and give orders. Ordinarily I can see the appeal of a pause and give orders - since the action gets chaotic sometimes and you lose track of what everyone is doing. But then again, that's what the sensors manager is for. Hit spacebar for sensors manager, zoom out, and get the big picture. Zoom in a little, pick a unit, (F)ocus on it, and give it orders. Rinse and repeat. Hit spacebar again to go back to "real" view and make fine adjustments from there.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

How are the missions length-wise? I know you're only so far in but are they interesting so far like the ones in Homeworld or Company of Heroes?

I don't want it to be 15 rehashes of "the enemy base is there, destroy it".

I also want an ion frigate ball-o-doom, but these Kharakians have a ways to go yet before they can accomplish that feat.
There is no hug button. Sad!
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

If anything the first three missions reminded me of the first three missions in Homeworld - test out your carrier, hold out against an enemy attack until the carrier is ready to leave, and investigate a mysterious signal/ship and then hunt down an enemy captial ship. It's been awhile, but pretty sure that was the plot to the first three missions of Homeworld
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

So this is a Homeworld RTS, but it's all basically on the ground (with some aerial support)? No floating in 3D space?
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

RunningMn9 wrote:So this is a Homeworld RTS, but it's all basically on the ground (with some aerial support)? No floating in 3D space?
That is correct -- more from Kotaku:
Instead of this game being set in space, and allowing you to move your units along the X Y and Z axis, Deserts of Kharak is set on a planet. With ground, and gravity, and a sky.

Any fears that the old formula wouldn’t work on this new landscape are quickly dispelled, though. Deserts of Kharak is one of the best RTS games I’ve played in a long time
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

IGN has their review up. It may be filled with spoilers for all I know..not got to watch it yet.....

Rating?... GREAT
Montag

Post by Montag »

Finished the campaign at normal difficulty. 13 missions, 13 hours. I enjoyed, but it is rather short. It does have the Homeworld vibe to it. Audio, visual style, narration - it's there. I wished there was more of it.

Biggest complaints - AI pathfinding with bunches of units is poor. The units trip on themselves. I wish there were formations. I had some heavy units, but they always wound up in the back of the pack where they should be at the front.

Good stuff - like the graphics, good voice acting, like the Homeworld feel. If you hold the Homeworld in high regard, you would enjoy this as well, but not at full price. I hate saying things are too expensive, but $50 for 13 hour campaign is light. I have not touched multiplayer yet, but I didn't really play it in Homeworld either.

Tip - when you are on the defensive, mines are awesome. I would give it 6/8 tentacles.
words
raydude

Post by raydude »

killbot737 wrote:How are the missions length-wise? I know you're only so far in but are they interesting so far like the ones in Homeworld or Company of Heroes?

I don't want it to be 15 rehashes of "the enemy base is there, destroy it".

I also want an ion frigate ball-o-doom, but these Kharakians have a ways to go yet before they can accomplish that feat.
A lot of the early missions have you on the run, so it's more like "survive this" type of stuff. I've played through more missions and I've reached the first one where there is a concept of an "enemy base here, destroy it". I would say the unit count compared to HW is very small. I still only have about 36 units in my fleet. Producing a single railgun seems to take up 1/3 of the resources I gather in a typical resource pile. So tactically I try to make sure my units are positioned so they can fire from a hill, then pull back behind the hill slope for support cruisers to repair them. Having two squadrons of strike fighters to call on helps. So does the ability to convert enemy units. Unlike HW though it seems only 1 unit can do the converting, and she has a big cooldown on her conversion ability. So I try to identify critical targets for conversion.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Montag wrote: Tip - when you are on the defensive, mines are awesome. I would give it 6/8 tentacles.
I haven't played around with mines much - prefer my turrets. Are minefields single use or persistent? I.e. can a single minefield affect more than 1 wave of enemy units?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So how did this end up playing? Is it like a normal old rts ...say C&C? Or did it play more Homeworld style?....cause I suck at Homeworld it seems. Is the enemy always overpowered or more units than you? I dont really understand the game story and play. When it was Shipbreakers it made more sense in that you were trying to be the first to break up and salvage ships....now with the Homeworld tacked on how is it?

Also the story seems centered around a religious fanatic cult that yet again has misinterpreted the past and twisted it to their own story and beliefs.. I HATE that stuff....its what ruined DS9 for me for so long with the stupid ass Bajorans. Is it a big huge boring annoying part of this too?
Daehawk

Re: Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak formally Homeworld: Breakers

Post by Daehawk »

The desert in this game reminds me we could use a new Dune game. The last good Dune game was Emperor Battle for Dune. That was 16 years ago in 2001.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Is there a dock option for vehicles? I like to use my salvagers to suck up all the loot in the area before say planting a probe because I know ill get attacked once I do that and then after mission you dont get to loot the salvage. So I do it first. But during the coming battle my little salvagers are in harms way. Is there a way to dock them on the land carrier?.......seems like it isn't really a carrier if I cant.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Fuck this game is overwhelming. I have it on the baby setting and still getting my ass kicked. I put all my stuff into researching what it wanted then build what I need t ogo deploy scanners which get attacked. Im told to put a turret down....i put 4 down and move off.....enemy kills all 4 even though Im told to put 1. Then my trucks get killed and Im supposed to research aircraft and build those but I cant build many because I placed too many turrets...that didn't help anyways...so the entire mission is hosed. Back to a save. fuck it..just quit. And this is like the 3rd mission. I just dont seem to have fun with new games. If its over than 8 years I seem to enjoy it.

Things Im not enjoying at all....

Original Sin
Deserts of Kharak
Shadows of War

Might as well sell my pc. All I get from trying to game is angry. I just dont think sitting here feeling sick is helping me any.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I don't really know what to say. I didn't find it any harder than any other rts game on normal difficulty. The thing with most modern games is they handhold you a lot. So just do the minimum the game suggests so you have the expected resources when they throw the wrinkle at you
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im not feeling well and its making me grumpy. Meds aren't helping. I think what Ill do next go is build more turrets and just sit there a bit and let the enemy bash itself against them and my trucks. Then try moving on. Or send some fast attack with them.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:19 am Fuck this game is overwhelming. I have it on the baby setting and still getting my ass kicked. I put all my stuff into researching what it wanted then build what I need t ogo deploy scanners which get attacked. Im told to put a turret down....i put 4 down and move off.....enemy kills all 4 even though Im told to put 1. Then my trucks get killed and Im supposed to research aircraft and build those but I cant build many because I placed too many turrets...that didn't help anyways...so the entire mission is hosed. Back to a save. fuck it..just quit. And this is like the 3rd mission. I just dont seem to have fun with new games. If its over than 8 years I seem to enjoy it.

Things Im not enjoying at all....

Original Sin
Deserts of Kharak
Shadows of War

Might as well sell my pc. All I get from trying to game is angry. I just dont think sitting here feeling sick is helping me any.
The thing about Deserts is that the unit count is small and the amount of resources means you can't just "zerg" it, i.e. build some shit, let it get destroyed and then build some more. You have to preserve the units that you have. Not only that, but there is an emphasis on unit counters. Your turrets probably got destroyed at long range by the railguns. Railguns die quickly to your LAVs. Whenever I see railguns I get all my LAVs on it and kick the "turboboost" button or whatever it is that gets them to move faster.

I'm guessing this is the "Kalash Site" mission? What I did was take Rachel and some LAVs and AAVs and a support cruiser to the western most scanner site. Deploy the scanner and one turret.

While that's happening I build a few more LAVs and AAvs at a ratio of about 4 to 1 (4 LAVs to 1 AAV). Take the second group and move them all to the second site (with a baserunner) - the one that's closest to the first one. Move the support cruiser up to the second site once they are in position. Build a turret there.

Now you've got two scanner sites covered with one turret, a repair vehicle (Rachel and Support Cruiser), a few LAVs and AAvs at each site. Remember, Rachel also repairs. I forget if there is a button you can push or if the vehicles repair automatically, but if there is a button make sure you set it so they "auto repair".

The LAVs are your quick reaction force. If site 1 gets dicey then charge with the LAVs from site 2. If site 2 gets dicey charge the LAVs from site 1. In the meantime build your third force of LAVs and AAvs and a third support cruiser. Get to site 3 and build your scanner.

You don't really need a reserve force with the carrier. Set the power levels so that the carrier "offense" level is at the highest possible. If the enemy decides to attack your carrier then move your resource gathers out of the way and let the carrier kill them.

Use the strategic view early and often. It's helpful for knowing the big picture and knowing where the enemy is so you can counter by moving units before he gets into range. I also use strategic view to select my units, center on them, then switch down into tactical view. Much faster and easier than trying to navigate the map in tactical view.

And lastly, try to preserve your forces. Use the terrain. LAVs and AAvs hide behind hills to negate the range advantage of railguns. Once the railguns get close charge them with the LAVs. Once the railguns are down retreat back to the AAVs so both your AAVs and LAVs can mop up the rest.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya that mission. Thanks for the tactics. Will try next go. The mission says build a truck and place a scanner...and then a turret and move on. I tested it by building 4 trucks and sending a squad of fast movers with them. Like 8. Then I built 7 turrets...I still died. Then Instead of 1 aircraft I built the max 6...still died. I had a full army out there and still died lol.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

If you've been sitting on the edge, waiting for this game to drop below $50 (for a game made in 2016) now's the time. It's currently 75% off at GOG.com

I picked up the base game and two faction additions this morning for around $10.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.