Batman Arkham Origins

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Batman Arkham Origins

Post by Daehawk »

This looks fun. I enjoyed the first two games and even finished them both. Im a little worried about this one being moved to a new dev company. Still I'll get it on sale. I bought the first one on sale but ran out and got the sequel near release.

I was digging the trailer for it until Deadshot showed up and ruined it for me. I have nothing against him..I mean I love being a sniper in games myself hehehe...but he ruined the fun Batman and Deathstroke were having.

It will also have multiplayer which may be damn fun...or silly...we shall see.

WIKI

Teaser
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
IceBear

Re: Batman Arkham Origins

Post by IceBear »

Don't think they have the same voice actors, but played through the tutorial part of the game and it still feels like I'm the f$#king Batman, so I like it :)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The actor voicing Batman sounds a lot like Kevin Conroy, so I wonder why they didn't just get the great Conroy. He should be phone call number one when a video game or animated show wth Bats is casting.

Played about an hour's worth this morning. So far, so good. It's exactly what I wanted: the same mechanics and gameplay as the first two but with a different story. I admit, I wasn't a fan of the second game's story (although that didn't stop me from relishing every minute of the game itself) so I'm hoping this one is a bit better.
He won. Period.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

New voice actors, yes... and it's getting bashed on review sites because it's MOTS but that's exactly what I was expecting. Set in a larger open world setting that looks awfully nice on the PC with everything cranked up. The Batcave is suitably... clunky... seeing as how this is early in the evolution of the Bat Man. The MP is getting knocked as well but I don't give a crap about that side of things so not an issue for me.

Was reading the GameSpot review this morning and the comments are full of vitriol and flowing in fast and furious... :roll:
-mf
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah, it's MOTS, but that's what I wanted. The formula works, why mess with it.

I thought I heard somewhere that Conroy only did the last one because Hamil was doing it (or it might have been the other way around), but perhaps that's some of the reason he isn't in it.
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

I don't know why it is these days if a game isn't exactly what someone wanted, it is the worst thing that has ever happened in the history of the world. That is what I get from reading any comments on any particular game.

It is so bad these days that I just pretty much have to discount what people say about a game and try it myself.

More of the same fun gameplay from the previous two games? How can that not be a good thing, as long as the new developer didn't hork anything up? I just don't get it.

It sounds like they didn't mess anything up, but since they didn't add something amazing and new, the game sucks. Yet every Call of Duty or Battlefield game gets great reviews and they never change anything up, except which city gets nuked at the end.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Gamespot says it sucks? Well Im out......actually strike that..F them :)...I really liked the first two games and finished them both. I think this one will be just as good. If its more of the same thats ok by me. And I also dont give a gnats ass about MP. Whats funny is the first two games should not have been something I liked but I really did.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Yeah, I've never really liked the idea of rating a game down, just because it doesn't offer anything new... doing something old really, really well is just as good if not often better than coming up with something completely original.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the first one, but for some reason (maybe it was the story) never quite got into the second, but I'm looking forward to trying this one once it goes on sale.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm starting up my second attempt at the second game now that I beat GTV. I beat two games this year that's a f'n record for me. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Yeah, the second one is next on my list of FPS/action/stealth type games. Then will get Origins down the line. If it's more of the same, and the single player is decent, then I'll be in sooner or later. (And if it's later, maybe I'll be able to catch it on a sale).
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

There appears to be a bug in the Enigma story line (Burnley Comm Tower) - at least in the PC version - that currently prevents you from finishing that storyline. Just hit it myself and seems to be a lot of reports on the official forums. Hopefully will get fixed soon.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sigh...I don't know if it's just my psyche succumbing to the numerous mediocre to bad reviews, but the game is starting to feel monotous now.

One thing I'm just not seeing enough of is background stuff. In Asylum we had those fantastic recordings of the inmates. In City there was a ton of stuff about the villains themselves and their backgrounds. But in Origins that stuff seems to be sorely lacking.

Again, maybe it's just me. And maybe I should also just avoid reviews from now on. :cry:
He won. Period.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I am enjoying it, for what it's worth, but I haven't played any of the old ones recently (I finished them both right when they were released) so I honestly don't remember the atmosphere as well in those. I had stopped playing when I hit the Burnley Tower bug but now that it's fixed I'm back playing. I don't really find it any more monotonous than AC (from what I can remember). I am getting a lot of background info listening to the cell phone calls of the crooks on the street, but the majority of it is reading the dossiers.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Maybe I just need to get further into the game, but I just feel like every encounter is "wade into middle of group of thugs, mash buttons". In the previous games, there seemed to be more stealth preferable areas.
He won. Period.
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

Doomboy wrote:I don't know why it is these days if a game isn't exactly what someone wanted, it is the worst thing that has ever happened in the history of the world. That is what I get from reading any comments on any particular game.

It is so bad these days that I just pretty much have to discount what people say about a game and try it myself.

More of the same fun gameplay from the previous two games? How can that not be a good thing, as long as the new developer didn't hork anything up? I just don't get it.

It sounds like they didn't mess anything up, but since they didn't add something amazing and new, the game sucks. Yet every Call of Duty or Battlefield game gets great reviews and they never change anything up, except which city gets nuked at the end.
I tend to not believe 100% in negative reviews IF it's a game that I really want to play. Being a big fan of anything ALIENS I bought and played Colonial Marines for 360 and liked it alot, finished it, and would play it again on a harder difficulty setting.

I think the reason why you get the "worst thing that has ever happened in the history of the world" effect is when someone's paying $59.99 plus tax for a game it HAS to be EVERYTHING they expected AND MORE, or they're going to have a shit-fit and bash the hell out of it if it's not EXACTLY to their liking.

The way I look at it is IF I take the gamble on a game, buy it, and I don't like it it's my fault for buying it in the first place. Nobody put a gun to my head
and forced me to play it. I think reviews, if done properly, CAN give me an indication on whether I will find value in the game enough to buy it, or if I should rent it first and try it.

In my area we have these things called RED BOX, where you can walk up to it and rent console games & movies. IF I'm on the fence on a game purchase it's better to rent it and try it rather than pissing away $59.99 on a dog with fleas.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

hepcat wrote:Maybe I just need to get further into the game, but I just feel like every encounter is "wade into middle of group of thugs, mash buttons". In the previous games, there seemed to be more stealth preferable areas.
I have found quite a few stealth ones. I've even managed to do a lot of stealth in the random street encounters - ducking behind parked cars, going back up to the roof and then dropping back down. Most of the stealth ones seem to be in the missions though. So far I feel I've encountered just as many stealth ones at this point in the game as the others. I like the gadget you get from Deathstroke...allows me to use the fire extinguishers to bring a cloud to a group so I can drop in and get them all under cover.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

JSHAW wrote:In my area we have these things called RED BOX, where you can walk up to it and rent console games & movies. IF I'm on the fence on a game purchase it's better to rent it and try it rather than pissing away $59.99 on a dog with fleas.
Which is how I knew to stay away from the latest MLB: The Show. It just didn't scratch any itch I had,.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
ibdoomed

Post by ibdoomed »

I'm at a loss as what to do next. I've completed the main story but there are still two locked villains. I've completed all the others except riddler. Do I really have to finish all of riddler just to know who the other two villains are? Sheesh.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Have you done all the crime scene investigations? I think that unlocked some for me. I haven't done all the Riddler stuff and I have them all unlocked
ibdoomed

Post by ibdoomed »

IceBear wrote:Have you done all the crime scene investigations? I think that unlocked some for me. I haven't done all the Riddler stuff and I have them all unlocked
There have been 3 or 4. I sure hope there are more, that was cool. I'll look around.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I know the last villain is because of the "Investigate Mysterious S.O.S / Helicopter Crash" one. I have done 7 investigations and only 77% done apparently (haven't seen any other ones, though that might be Blackmask drugs and Bird ones)

Edit: Actually, I had JUST completed the 7th one as I typed that and within seconds an 8th popped up
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

With a Hank Venture-like obsession, I cannot stop playing this game. I actually think it's better than Arkham City (which I know doesn't make much sense as it uses most of the same assets) but still not as good as the original. I'm enjoying the voice acting, including the guy doing this proto-angsty Batman. I think overall the story is better than Arkham City - it feels more like a comic book. The AI seems a bit smarter for the minions and the new enemy types (martial artists) add more flavor. I was really hesitant, but I picked it up for like $6.xx via Green Man Gaming a week or so ago and have been very happy. I'd imagine it will be part of the STEAM summer sale and would recommend it without question for fans of the first or second.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just finished it last night, though I spent another 2 hours or so running around the city to finish up odd missions. For my play through it was 30 hours, YMMV. My only complaint is the absurd Enigma data packs. It's great that I know where they are (because of me totally whaling on his minions), but I really don't have the patience to figure out which bat-device I need to finagle the data pack out of the enclosure. I really preferred the "?" hunting in Arkham Asylum to this method -- and that's probably the only game I ever went and collected all the trophies. In this game (and Arkham City) it seems like they'd rather just put them in the open and have you puzzle over how to get to them. There's 200; good luck with that.

Still a very enjoyable game and the parts that showed you the Joker's perspective were really cool - particularly how he sees The Batman.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

So, for the full effect, should I do the following?:

A:O-Blackgate (4$ with PS+)
A:O
AA
AA:City
"Some people say never...I just say no"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Can't really comment on the PS+ title, but I'd probably recommend playing them in the order they were released as they've fine tuned controls, skills and the AI (at least as far as I can tell) over the titles in a way that might be frustrating if you play them in story but not development order. I honestly don't know if it would make a difference but I guess if you value story more than game engine mechanics, the order you've suggested makes sense.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have this game years. Ive installed it twice but given up really close to the start and I cant recall why. Ive reinstalled and will give it another go. Maybe 3rd times the charm here like Arkham Asylum. Its supposed to be a great game and from what I played I seem to think that. No idea why I keep quitting. Maybe Ill remember after I restart lol.

Got the urge after watching Justice League and Batman stuff on YouTube.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Is it just me or is there something off about the view system or camera? Something different than the first two games? Its like maybe Im zoomed in too close or something plus Im having trouble looking for grapple places as Im moving. Maybe the controls are different a little? Cant place what it is but in the first two games the movement seemed to flow but here Im having difficulty getting around fast and smooth and then fighting thugs too.

EDIT: Seems it isn't just me LINK
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

This is the game that wasn't made by the same company as the first two, right? Might explain why it feels different
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm trying to play this, and I'm finding I just don't like it. I loved Arkham, and saw City's flaws but still had a blast. This one, though - something is just off. In the others I could build up combos and manage fights. In this one I just can't seem to get anywhere with the combat. I'm not sure what's changed, although I've seen a few examples, like actions with long animations no longer prevent enemies from beating the crap out of you while you perform them (god forbid I try a ground takedown.) The traversal also feels a lot less fun. There are way too many 'can't go this way' spots (huge buildings with spiked roofs) placed right in the middle of things that keep you from actually getting from point A to point B, and there always seems to be something in the way of glides and movement. It just doesn't flow.

It isn't any huge change, just a bunch of almost unnoticeable tweaks that, taken together seem to kill the feel of the game, and turn fun into frustration.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Was considering trying again since Ive forgotten why I didn't get it the first two tries but maybe I wont bother.