Fundraising for 2019/2020: 12 Months Renewed - We are good until October 2020. Paypal Donation Link Here

Galactic Civilizations III Released!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Zenn7
Loading…

Re: Galactic Civilizations III Released!

Post by Zenn7 »

Of significant note, the game has gone gold! :)

There is a gold version/bundle now that has ALL DLC, on sale for around $35 (Steam or GOG). You can just buy what you don't own on Steam this way. I didn't have the newest DLC (Retribution), mech parts, and the Star Control heroes. Really only cared about Retribution, but for $8 and some change (a little over $9 after taxes), I got it all. Cheapest I have seen Retribution yet!

Now I just have to actually play the game again some day (haven't since before I got Intrigue).

Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

The v3.8 update is out! This update brings changes to the Ascension UI and adds special notifications whenever someone begins an Ascension.

https://www.galciv3.com/article/496307

Enlarge Image

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Island Dog wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:20 pm
The v3.8 update is out! This update brings changes to the Ascension UI and adds special notifications whenever someone begins an Ascension.

https://www.galciv3.com/article/496307

Enlarge Image
Appreciate updating the UI, especially the fonts to make them bigger :roll:
The book historian Richard Altick once wrote, “There has always been a popular belief that more than casual attention to books is either a symptom or a cause of madness.”

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Well this sucks. I had uninstalled GC3 prior to upgrading to Win10 as I was backing up my C: drive just in case and was trying to limit the amount of space used. I've been playing other games since then with no issues. So this afternoon I reinstalled GC3, fired it up and got an error message before the game even ran saying "Failed to initialize display" :evil:

So off to Stardock for all the suggestions. Reinstalled the latest Nvidia drivers with the "clean installation" option. Went through the various troubleshooting suggestions including turning off Steam Cloud Saves(?), changed screen settings and resolutions in the prefs file and deleting the GC3Crusade folder in My Games. Still the same error message :grund:

Now, after uninstalling the game, deleting the content in My Games and that in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\ I'm now reinstalling the game. Fingers crossed.
The book historian Richard Altick once wrote, “There has always been a popular belief that more than casual attention to books is either a symptom or a cause of madness.”

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Well, all that troubleshooting didn't help, nor did a bunch of other steps. So I opened a trouble ticket with Stardock. Just after I submitted the ticket I tried firing up "Thief Simulator" on Steam and got a black screen. On the troubleshooting message in the forum it suggested a few things. One was to download and reinstall directx_Jun2010_redist.exe and so I did that. While it was updating DirectX I also did another step in the troubleshooting (yes, I know, I shouldn't do two things without testing in between). The troubleshooting was:

"For NVIDIA user, my solution was:
-right click on desktop
-nvidia controll
-adjust the size and position of the desktop
-second option (full screen)"

Between one of the two troubleshooting steps (I'm thinking the second one), the problem was solved, GC3 started normally, as does Thief Simulator. It never fails, right after I report a problem I figured out how to fix it :roll: . Maybe this info can be help to someone else.

Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

jztemple2 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:38 pm
"For NVIDIA user, my solution was:
-right click on desktop
-nvidia controll
-adjust the size and position of the desktop
-second option (full screen)"

Between one of the two troubleshooting steps (I'm thinking the second one), the problem was solved, GC3 started normally, as does Thief Simulator. It never fails, right after I report a problem I figured out how to fix it :roll: . Maybe this info can be help to someone else.
Weird. Glad you finally got it working though. :)

Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

Just a reminder we have a free Steam weekend and sale on GalCiv III. :)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2268 ... tions_III/

Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

We announced today that the Villains of Star Control: Origins are invading Galactic Civilizations III on August 27th! The new DLC adds new races to the game, each with their own unique abilities, ship styles, and theme music.

More info: https://www.galciv3.com/article/496412

Enlarge Image

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

More races are good, and just in time for gaming season!

Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

The Villains of Star Control: Origins has released for Galactic Civilizations III! The DLC adds new races to the game, each with their own unique abilities, ship styles, theme music, and more!

In addition to the new DLC, we've released a new v3.9 update for the game that includes massively shorter late game turn times, updated balance based on feedback, AI improvements, new star base modules and lots more.

More info and full v3.9 changelog:

https://www.galciv3.com/article/496599

Enlarge Image

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Zone of Control update

No more fog of war in your empire. All territory in your Zone of Control now is always visible. This helps you keep an eye on what other factions are doing in your backyard.
That's rather a major change. I was playing a game started under 3.8 and when I just fired it up, boom, this enormous hexagon of orange (my faction color) rather than tendrils here and there.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

More changes coming to GalCiv3: We are on the road to v4.0
We are on the road to v4.0.

It's hard to believe that GalCiv III was released nearly five years ago. We've made a lot of changes since then.

Version 4.0 is being designed to bring a ton of new features, we won't go over all the changes here but instead will take you on a bit of a guided tour.

Most of the changes are for users of Retribution which is the latest expansion. If you don't have that, I highly recommend getting it.
I can second that recommendation to pick up the Retribution DLC if you haven't already. It will probably be on sale when 4.0 is released, but might be worth wishlisting it just in case.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Galactic Civilizations III: Worlds in Crisis and Major v4.0 Update Announced

Damn, isn't the galaxy always in crisis?
Experience new world crises, planet types and traits, plus visual and balance improvements with v4.0

Stardock announced the new Worlds in Crisis DLC and free v4.0 update for its massive space sandbox 4X strategy game, Galactic Civilizations III today.

Worlds in Crisis introduces several new world events with ideological choices, new planet types, and over a dozen new planet features. Long-time players will find many new strategic options while players picking up the game for the very first time will also encounter exciting new experiences.

The free v4.0 update adds huge performance increases and makes vast visual improvements to the game’s planets, both on the surface and from orbit. A massive list of additional balance and AI improvements also accompany v4.0, which is already in opt-in. The current changelog is available in the forums.

In Worlds in Crisis, players may encounter worlds struggling with crises from planetary mutations, to raging pandemics, to murderers on the loose, and much more. Each crisis tells a planet’s story and the player’s decisions on how to handle them will determine how it resolves in the end.

There are also several new planet types to explore, offering new and exciting bonuses for those brave enough to colonize them. Players might encounter a sterile planet that isn’t meant for housing life, but is suited for the experiments of a mad scientist, or a beautiful and serene tranquil type world, perfect for retirement and tourism. New islands, continents, and landmasses provide many new options.

“Our community provided most of the feedback that shaped v4.0,” said Stardock CEO Brad Wardell. “Thanks to them, we were able to review and optimize everything in order to make things run faster. We also worked in some performance improvements while still making the game look better than ever.”

The Worlds in Crisis DLC and 4.0 update is coming soon!
Checks to see if Steam has my credit card info... it has :D

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And the Worlds In Crisis DLC is released, plus the 4.0 update:

Galactic Civilizations III 5th Anniversary Update and Worlds in Crisis DLC are Now Available
Every world has a story, and it’s up to you to decide how it ends.

In Worlds in Crisis, you will encounter a host of new world events with ideological choices that you will have to resolve. Several new planet types and over a dozen new planet features also await you, breathing new life into the game for old-time Galactic Civilizations players while offering exciting options for people picking up the game for the first time.

The free v4.0 update adds huge performance increases and makes vast visual improvements to the game’s planets, both on the surface and from orbit. Thanks to the numerous feedback we've received from fans, a lengthy list of balance and AI improvements are also in v4.0. To see what's new, check out the complete changelog for the update at the bottom of the post!

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Last year's expansion also came out right at the end of gaming season, I bought it but never got back to in the fall when gaming season resumed. Now I'll be two behind, but fall gaming season is in jeopardy if the schools are still closed and I have to spend whatever time I can spare being a teacher.