Galactic Civilizations III Released!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

tgb

Re: Galactic Civilizations III Announced!

Post by tgb »

Are minors in yet? I'm 100 turns+ into a medium galaxy and yet to encounter any. Are they just not implemented, or is it a bug?

Also, please, please, please add the ability to search the tech tree. Endless Space was the first (I think) to do it, and it makes a big difference. If I want to rush a hull size or treaty or whatever, I don't want to have to scour the tree to do so.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
tgb

Post by tgb »

What's going on with Alliances? I researched the requisite techs, both the Krynn and the Drengin worship the ground I walk on, yet it never appears as a treaty to offer in the diplomacy screen. Am I doing something wrong?
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

The 0.51 patch is out today with a bunch of fixes and memory usage improvements.

Changelog
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

Any sense of what the space combat is going to be like? Is that in yet?
Popehat, a blog.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Combat is supposed to be implemented in Beta 3, due in December. I don't think they've shown it yet.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

In the current build, when you enter a combat situation, the game asks you to step outside and start a fistfight with a random stranger. Then you report the outcome to Stardock and continue with your game.
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

I'm looking for a fight! Speak about AI intelligence, aggressiveness, etc.

Tell your thoughts about why you think we must buy in! As if we could be stopped ...
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

He's correct about beta 3 for December:
December 2014: Beta 3 - Combat! Yor Singularity!
This is the big combat update. Ground invasions, our new take on fleet combat, and the sinister mechanical Yor join the beta before the end of the year.
And yes, I don't believe anything has been shown or talked much about it as they've been working on it. I can't promise, but it's probably safe to say we'll probably give some type of look at it on the livestreams we have on Friday's. :)
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

I've got a major hankering for a space 4x. Is this playable? Fun?
Popehat, a blog.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

It's not out until next year. For space-themed 4X, all the cool kids are playing Beyond Earth.
Black Lives Matter
tgb

Post by tgb »

Mr. Fed wrote:I've got a major hankering for a space 4x. Is this playable? Fun?
Playable, not a whole lot of fun. There's still a lot of placeholder stuff, and some systems haven't made it in yet (combat, minor races). It's worth getting if you plan to get it anyway and want to check out the state of the game, but it's certainly not ready for prime time.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Thanks. I keep staring at it in my wishlist and wondering if the time is right yet. Patience. ...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I'd recommend Endless Legends. More mature than BE is right now.
Black Lives Matter
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

tgb wrote:
Playable, not a whole lot of fun. There's still a lot of placeholder stuff, and some systems haven't made it in yet (combat, minor races). It's worth getting if you plan to get it anyway and want to check out the state of the game, but it's certainly not ready for prime time.

I reloaded Space Empires IV instead.
Popehat, a blog.
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

If you enjoy the ship designer, we have a contest going on where your design will be included in the game and a chance at $1000. :)
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Damn you Stardock!!!! You and your darn 50% off promotion getting me to buy a game I want to wait until it's completed to play...

stardock50 coupon code until 11/24, for the other weaklings... gets you a steam code (actually, it's a smidge over 50&, as I got 22.50 of off the 44.99 price ;) It was probably that single, extra Abe Lincoln which got me...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

Pyperkub wrote:
stardock50 coupon code until 11/24,
Note that the code is good for ANY game purchase at the Stardock store, so you can pick up Off-World Trading Company and/or something else as well.
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

Yep, and the sale ends tomorrow too. :)
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

50% off Galactic Civilization 3 = Purchased.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
RMC

Post by RMC »

Lassr wrote:50% off Galactic Civilization 3 = Purchased.
Yeah, all my grousing about not liking this game was apparently because I am a moron. I like this game, so it is now purchased and downloaded on Steam.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
JonathanStrange

I'm in too; I'm a grognard for GalCiv so may as well admit it. I'll always have problems with something in the game but I enjoy it. Just wish the ships weren't so cartoony still... See? Grumbling again.
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

JonathanStrange wrote:I'll always have problems with something in the game but I enjoy it.
It's a feedback thing. There's a by-the-numbers aspect to it that only hardcore gamers (like us!) can love. Build this, get a 2% boost to that is straightforward and I think most of us appreciate the transparency, but it doesn't exactly stir the imagination. The fiction has a sterile feel even as the game is well designed and balanced -- what narrative exists doesn't exactly carry one away.

But yeah, I enjoy it too. Maybe this one will have more personality than its predecessors had. Graphics don't matter since I play 90% of the game at the zoomed-out abstract level. Sorry, artists. :lol:
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

The winner was announced in the GalCiv 3 ship designer contest.

Tezmagorian's ship will be included in GC3 when it's released. :)
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

Beta 3 is out today and the Yor are now available in GalCiv 3!
Beta 3 adds everyone’s favorite synthetic sociopaths, who laugh at the idea of feeding their colonists or worrying about growth rates. Need more population? Just build some new units to augment the Singularity’s physical capabilities. Simple.

Also included in Beta 3 are big-moment cinematics done by our in-house team to mark occasions like your first capital ship launched or first colony founded, and our first pass at combat animations including visible damage states for starships.

We’ve also dropped in unique art for many events, made the UI reflect your empire’s color (GalCiv III is approximately 62% less blue, on balance), added a ton of (perfectly realistic) sound effects to many objects in space, completely overhauled balance, and much more.

Read the full patch notes here: http://forums.galciv3.com/459763
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

So, does this mean combat is in?
Popehat, a blog.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Over at Qt3 they are saying mid-January for combat.
JonathanStrange

Sonofabitch that's a nice warship! Could've used it in the last Kurian uprising. Kraken doesn't know what he's missing being all strategic.

Books Read 2013
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

From what I understand, the only thing that will be added to combat will be the non-interactive "watch it" option.

I'm going to buy it. Brad Wardell has been seriously irritating me, but I'm going to put him in the category of good artists whose politics I don't like but I will still enjoy, like Wagner.
Popehat, a blog.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

JonathanStrange wrote:Sonofabitch that's a nice warship! Could've used it in the last Kurian uprising. Kraken doesn't know what he's missing being all strategic.
If there was tactical combat, I'd use the tactical view. Since there isn't I will rarely see it (if ever).
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

OK. Noodling around with it.

I understand how to adjust the money/research/production numbers empire-wide or on a plant. But one thing I'm not clear on.

I get that you build ships in starports, and I get that you can set the starports to receive "contributions" from different planets. But is there any way to make planets contribute more or less to ship building? In other words, can I set a planet to devote more (or less) of its production to a local starport's ship construction? Is that something I have to research?
Popehat, a blog.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Mr. Fed wrote:OK. Noodling around with it.

I understand how to adjust the money/research/production numbers empire-wide or on a plant. But one thing I'm not clear on.

I get that you build ships in starports, and I get that you can set the starports to receive "contributions" from different planets. But is there any way to make planets contribute more or less to ship building? In other words, can I set a planet to devote more (or less) of its production to a local starport's ship construction? Is that something I have to research?
Starports can be moved, although I think production halts when doing so. In the menu in the lower left hand corner when you click on a starport there's a command called "unanchor", or something like that. You can then move the starport like any other vessel (although I'm guessing the distance is limited). The amount a planet contributes is based on the proximity of the starport.
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

Is there any way to devote all of the planet's production to the starport, rather than building stuff?
Popehat, a blog.
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

nm, figured it out -- the flat slider under the globe thingy.
Popehat, a blog.
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

Now I can't figure out how to create a trade route. I've got a freighter.
Popehat, a blog.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Mr. Fed wrote:Now I can't figure out how to create a trade route. I've got a freighter.
I assumed it works the same way as II. Just send the freighter to the AI world you want to trade with. Doesn't that work?

There's also the possibility that trade routes aren't working properly yet.
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

Right, but I thought you could do routes with your own worlds.
Popehat, a blog.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

On sale now on the Steam Holiday Sale for half off, for the next 22 hours. I'm guessing this is a good time to pull the trigger and get it. Any reason not to? I'm pretty burned out on early access, but I'm not seeing this being any cheaper before the eventual release.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
tgb

Post by tgb »

jztemple2 wrote:On sale now on the Steam Holiday Sale for half off, for the next 22 hours. I'm guessing this is a good time to pull the trigger and get it. Any reason not to? I'm pretty burned out on early access, but I'm not seeing this being any cheaper before the eventual release.
Go ahead and get it. It's not quite feature-complete, and there's a lot of balancing and polishing to be done, but it's playable and enjoyable.
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

I agree. Though it will be much improved with tooltips and other explanations of how things work.
Popehat, a blog.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

OO effect happens again, GCIII is now mine!
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold